PDA

View Full Version : whats the best berkeley pump

mccluskey8679
06-09-2005, 10:20 PM
what is the best one for the buck. now i think it is the new 12jr. but between the 12jg, 12jc, 12ja, (12je sucks i know that much). i am trying to build a decent jet boat i plan on buying one of capps' 19 foot cheyennes but i am tired of v drives and want to go jet. i will be pushing maybe a little over 400 horsepower.

Squirtin Thunder
06-09-2005, 10:24 PM
The JA, JB and JG not to mention the JR are all split bowl pumps. If you bought a JC, Neil @ San Diego Performance Marine and Jack at MPD do split bowl conversions on them. I have a JB you can see in the pic to the left.
Good Luck
Jim

Jet Hydro
06-10-2005, 08:09 AM
I spell it AGGRESSOR ;)
Call Duane at HI-Tech and he`ll set you up with the best deal.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Never aggressor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeputyDawg
06-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Dominator!

HBjet
06-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Converted JC to JG by MPD. Longest/Straightest exit vanes (for a Berkeley) JB is the shortest and JR and JG are the same.
HBjet

DeputyDawg
06-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Hey HBjet, what does it cost to convert a JC bowl over to a split? I talked to a couple of people who really like that set up. I called Jack at MPD and he told me as far as stock bowls go that the Dominator was probably the best in untouched form, but once they have been worked it was probably a toss up.

DeputyDawg
06-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Hey bear, I started a thread about who built the strongest pump a while back and I didn't get a lot of replies, but it appears to me that the Dominator is definitely a stronger piece. I think the reason you see more Berkeleys in drag boats is just because there were a lot more Berks builts than Dominators. When I was asking around at the last races I went to a few of the guys who were running Berkeleys said that if they ever had to replace their suction pieces that they would do so with a Dominator piece. What kind of speed and E.T. does your boat run? What bowl do you run?

HBjet
06-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Hey HBjet, what does it cost to convert a JC bowl over to a split? I talked to a couple of people who really like that set up. I called Jack at MPD and he told me as far as stock bowls go that the Dominator was probably the best in untouched form, but once they have been worked it was probably a toss up.
I think it was $375 for the conversion. It's mostly labor too. Lots of work there... When Jeff Bennett asked me what pump I had and I told him it was a converted JC to JG, he agreed it was the best bowl you could ever have. He has some interesting opinions about mfg's pumps etc. from his testing.
HBjet

Jet Hydro
06-10-2005, 01:43 PM
I don't know guy`s ???? My boat came with a Dominator and we changed it to the Aggressor. I saw a huge difference in performance. I still have part of the old Dominator pump and if it was better I`d be using it but I have found that my Aggressor out preformed the Dominator hands down. There was nothing wrong with the Dominator pump when we took it out as a matter of fact it was a good tight pump as it had just been rebuilt. Part of the old Dominator pump is going in my lake boat just because I have it laying around or I`d put an aggressor in it too!
Just my $0.02

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-10-2005, 01:49 PM
I don't know guy`s ???? My boat came with a Dominator and we changed it to the Aggressor. I saw a huge difference in performance. I still have part of the old Dominator pump and if it was better I`d be using it but I have found that my Aggressor out preformed the Dominator hands down. There was nothing wrong with the Dominator pump when we took it out as a matter of fact it was a good tight pump as it had just been rebuilt. Part of the old Dominator pump is going in my lake boat just because I have it laying around or I`d put an aggressor in it too!
Just my $0.02
I was just giving you shit bud;) If I did the same as you, I would back aggressor as well.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-10-2005, 01:50 PM
screw it...panther is the race pump of 2005 :D :D

Jet Hydro
06-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Jet Hydro -
Duane Oblander (who is one of, if not the Best in terms of setting up an Aggressor)
True That!!!!! :D I think so anyway!!! :D
Jack we changed to an Aggressor long before I did the bottom work. The Dominator was set up good as it had Duane's parts in it as well. I asked Duane why I needed an Aggressor and his reply was "because it`s the best for what I wanted to do, GO FAST! "
:idea: If you give me an Aggressor bowl I`ll give you the Dominator ;) I`d like to find a complete Aggressor pump for the lake boat but I have all this other stuff just sitting around so I think I should put it to uses

Jet Hydro
06-10-2005, 03:31 PM
I was just giving you shit bud;) If I did the same as you, I would back aggressor as well.
It`s cool, I`m just true to my colors you could say. They back me so it`s only right to back them as well. When it works better then what you had, that just makes it even all that much better ;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-10-2005, 03:52 PM
It`s cool, I`m just true to my colors you could say. They back me so it`s only right to back them as well. When it works better then what you had, that just makes it even all that much better ;)
agreed;)

Scarab Jet
06-10-2005, 05:22 PM
I don't understand... If American Turbine owns Dominator, why do they continue to compete against themselves? I can understand them selling Dominator parts for the existing customers, but as far as any new ones to be sold, I'd think that it would make better business sense to just sell one pump and make it as good as it can be... Am I missing somethin' here?

SmokinLowriderSS
06-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Probably for the same reason you see a debate here. Some people think Agressors are better, some folks think Dominators are best. If you scrapped one, you'd loose more folks than you'd convert so just make both and satisfy everyone on both sides. It's all about the money, IMO.

bp
06-10-2005, 06:05 PM
I'd suspect that the difference you saw when you changed pumps had absolutely nothing to do with your going to an Aggressor from a Dominator. Rather, I think it had everything to do with who did the pump work
Oh yeah, since you don't like Dominators and think they're not good Race Pieces why don't you just give the Bowl to me ... Heck, I'll even pay the shipping.
i wouldn't necessarily agree 100% with your comments here. big difference between new AT/Dominator stuff, and OLD dominator. prep is always important, but i don't think you'd be too happy with older dominator pieces for your application.

Squirtin Thunder
06-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Converted JC to JG by MPD. Longest/Straightest exit vanes (for a Berkeley) JB is the shortest and JR and JG are the same.
HBjet
What is the Performance differance between the Berk Bowls, A, B, and G ????

ARS Marine inc.east
06-10-2005, 07:28 PM
big difference between new AT/Dominator stuff, and OLD dominator. prep is always important, but i don't think you'd be too happy with older dominator pieces for your application.
BP
Is there a differance in the third generation Dominator Bowl?
Have a complete pump on the shelf havent had the time to work on it thow.
I uess I should take a look and answer my own question.
Type here insert Foot :)

DeputyDawg
06-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Well Jet Hydro, I don't know Duane personally like you do, but I have talked to him on the phone a few times and I think you better take a look at what is in his personal boat....Cuz it ain't an Aggressor! At least he told me it wasn't. It is an American Turbine if I remember right. And I am willing to bet that Duane can run anything he wants to and his personal 23ft lake cruiser jet that is probably faster than most of the jet drag boats out there, and it doesn't have an Aggressor pump in it. I have heard good things about Aggressor impellers but I have heard horror stories about their quality control and random parts failure with brand new pieces. I will also go so far as to say that if someone bought an Aggressor from Duane that he would probably know what to look for as far as quality control and would make sure that his customer got a satisfactory product that would work well for them. I like the looks of the Aggressor stuff, but I personally am a little scared of it. Kind of like my Ex-Wife, she looked awesome too but man what a bitch!!! :D

Squirtin Thunder
06-10-2005, 10:48 PM
what is the best one for the buck. now i think it is the new 12jr. but between the 12jg, 12jc, 12ja, (12je sucks i know that much). i am trying to build a decent jet boat i plan on buying one of capps' 19 foot cheyennes but i am tired of v drives and want to go jet. i will be pushing maybe a little over 400 horsepower.
What is the Performance differance between the Berk Bowls, A, B, and G ????
Being that there are alot of folks that can't aford the big cost of those bowls can we talk about the Berk ones for abit ????

Jet Hydro
06-11-2005, 07:45 AM
DeputyDawg If you look at what Duane put`s in all the race boats you`ll only see Aggressor. Flash Back, R&D Express and my boat all have Aggressor pumps. I know that there are a few things you are not aware of on his lake boat.
His lake boat is a fast, large and heavy boat. How fast in the 1/4 I have no clue but I know on the lake it can click off 100+ anytime he wants too. There are reasons why he runs what he does in what he does and he can tell you about that. All I know is he told me that I needed the Aggressor pump, I would have let him install what ever he said I needed and that's what I did. It wasn't a cost factor as I was ready to spring for what ever we needed. I have put the Aggressor stuff to the test with airing it out many times and I have never had one problem what so ever.

bp
06-11-2005, 08:17 AM
DeputyDawg I know that there are a few things you are not aware of on his lake boat. His lake boat is a fast, large and heavy boat.
really? i remember a thread not too long ago where duane mentioned that his 23 footer was an extremely light layup, using some type of filler blocks that aren't used anymore? something like a 600lb bare hull? that ain't heavy. but????
for a new pump, my choice would be at/dom. if i were looking for older stuff, i'd look for a jc to have converted to a jg, and use a new at/dom suction piece.

Jet Hydro
06-11-2005, 11:04 AM
true bp but it also has a full interior. It`s not a lightened up lake racer, it`s his family boat that his wife and grand kids ride in. I`d love to have that boat for my lake boat!
Gotta go try to tear up the drag car so see ya monday. :D

olbiezer
06-11-2005, 11:56 AM
all i can say is i had a 79 biesemeyer that had a 12 jg that was never touched in 20 years and never gave me a lick of trouble. good strong and still did a honest 70 mph on the gps 20 yrs later. now lets talk propelers lol
btw i still have a 12jg rudder and nozzle if anyone wants it for 5 bucks plus shipping 601 506 9977