PDA

View Full Version : 3D Modeling

BADBLOWN572
06-10-2005, 07:52 AM
Just curious to see of anyone on here knows some form of 3D modeling program or has the hookup on someone who does. I need to get a project done up in 3D and I am having a hard time finding someone who can do it.
Danny

1stepcloser
06-10-2005, 07:56 AM
I know Froggy has been using one extensively in his company, maybe he could help ya?

cxr133
06-10-2005, 08:08 AM
try BLENDER
there are alot of online tutorials that can help

MagicMtnDan
06-10-2005, 08:11 AM
This might help: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-08,GGLD:en&q=CAD+service+Orange+County

Essex502
06-10-2005, 09:52 AM
There are a variety of 3D modeling software on the market. The better ones are in alphabetical order are:
Autodesk Inventor
Pro/ENGINEER
Solidworks
Solidedge
If you don't need industrial strength 3D molding there is another package named Pro/CONCEPT from the same folks who make Pro/ENGINEER. Great little package and very easy to use.

Jetdriver
06-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Just curious to see of anyone on here knows some form of 3D modeling program or has the hookup on someone who does. I need to get a project done up in 3D and I am having a hard time finding someone who can do it.
Danny
Hey Danny my Mother in law does 3D modeling! Give me a call or pm if you want more info!
Shawn
(818) 419-6126

Essex502
06-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Danny
Out of curiosity, what's the project? What form of output do you need? Drawings? Renderings? NCL files? G-code?

Krumbsnatcher
06-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Danny
It depends on what you plan on doing with the final drawing. If you plan on a CNC path solid works or mastercam is great. We just use solid works for modeling new enclosures etc for future customers being we can incorporate their logos into our existing offerings and show them what it will look like prior to wasting the material.
If you are looking for modeling help and work i have a great shop that i dish our custom work too give me a pm.
Jeff

superdave013
06-10-2005, 10:20 AM
I know a guy who knows another guy who can burn you a bootleg version of Solid Works. These guys just happen to me RRL members too.

BADBLOWN572
06-10-2005, 10:27 AM
A buddy of mine works in the automotive design industry and has some renderings drawn up that he wants to take to the next level. He is now looking to model the designs into some sort of 3d modeling so he can get a 360 degree view as well as have the ability to accurately input proportions. He needs to be able to look at it in proportion to see if the design will look correct as well as be functional. He also need the ability to pull dimensions off of the program to give to the guys who are going to clay model the vehicle. I know that there are a bunch of different programs available out there, but I don't have a clue when it comes to this stuff. He just asked me if I knew anyone and I told him I could check around and see what I can do.
Danny

superdave013
06-10-2005, 10:53 AM
getting the program is the easy part. Learning how to use it quickly is the hard part.
Solid works will do just what he wants. I'm no expert but have been using it more and more. Trying to ween off of 2D Auto Cad myself.

the_gray_goose
06-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Danny
I have a seat of PROE and have 16 years of freelance work under my belt.
What kind of work do you need?
E-mail me and we can talk further.
darrenmark@comcast.net

Slib77
06-10-2005, 11:58 AM
You can also check out Z Brush. It is a 3D sculpting program. It is useful if you are using a clay medium.
Solid Works is cool. I have a buddy who uses it to make all of his custom knives.

Norseman
06-10-2005, 12:47 PM
A buddy of mine works in the automotive design industry and has some renderings drawn up that he wants to take to the next level. He is now looking to model the designs into some sort of 3d modeling so he can get a 360 degree view as well as have the ability to accurately input proportions. He needs to be able to look at it in proportion to see if the design will look correct as well as be functional. He also need the ability to pull dimensions off of the program to give to the guys who are going to clay model the vehicle. I know that there are a bunch of different programs available out there, but I don't have a clue when it comes to this stuff. He just asked me if I knew anyone and I told him I could check around and see what I can do.
Danny
Danny;
To be able to do that he will need to really learn the program. The learning curve on any 3 D modeling program is pretty step!!
We use auto cad, which is just OK, I can do 2 D stuff fairly well, I've been using the program a long time, but 3 D is tough
To have someone else input the stuff, and then make changes would be very difficult, I thnk.
Bob

SummitKarl
06-10-2005, 02:06 PM
where are you at and what do you need.
got it all here, including the 3axis cnc mill,
p.s. don't listen to those PRO-E numbsculls, it's WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!
got Cadkey and Mastercam thats all I need to make anything you can dream of.

ROZ
06-10-2005, 03:10 PM
I've been known to make a snowman or 2 out of Playdough, what you need help with? :D

Aquaholic502
06-10-2005, 03:17 PM
I use mastercam also and it works great. But if you are looking for just a one shot deal I dont know if they have a demo. I have a bootleg copy of version 9.1. I know either solid edge or solid works has a demo and that would be fine too. Summitkarl what kind of work do you do, we have a 7 axis lathe at my work and it is crazy to work on.

SummitKarl
06-10-2005, 03:39 PM
I use mastercam also and it works great. But if you are looking for just a one shot deal I dont know if they have a demo. I have a bootleg copy of version 9.1. I know either solid edge or solid works has a demo and that would be fine too. Summitkarl what kind of work do you do, we have a 7 axis lathe at my work and it is crazy to work on.
I have not up dated MC in awile but I own ver. 6-something (inc. Lathe)
and it's menu is similar to Cadkey, to two work great togeather.
as for work I am a Architect in Lake Havasu for a couple of the major home builders. but I spent 20+yrs in San Diego. doing CAD/CAM on everything from circuit boards,plastics,machine parts and reactors for General Atomics, I owend a rapid proto-type shop in S.D. and kept all the stuff for LHC

the_gray_goose
06-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Only hackers use anything other than Proe or SDRC.
I have made a good living fixing the mistakes made by peolpe trying to be cheep the first time by using one of the lower end CAD packages to do products. You get what you pay for!!! The reason ProE is difficult to use is because of is accuracy. It will not allow you to make the hacker mistakes you can get away with in the cheap, easy to learn, programs. They allow mistakes in the data that will come back to haunt you when you start cutting production tooling form it.
"Do it right the 1st time" is my advice to anyone trying to develope a new product. Or you will end up paying for it twice.

schmaubba
06-10-2005, 04:29 PM
i use soliworks. its easy to lern if ya have the time. and you can send moving models to anyone and they dont need the software to open it and view it. have also used the lastest unigraghics, and have seen pro e.
oh, by the way..im tool designer for stamping dies, so my main background is in autocad. i guess i missed what youre are looking to do :mix: :mix: just product design?

Essex502
06-10-2005, 04:38 PM
CADKEY? My GAWD.....that's an antique! :D

Essex502
06-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Only hackers use anything other than Proe or SDRC.
I have made a good living fixing the mistakes made by peolpe trying to be cheep the first time by using one of the lower end CAD packages to do products. You get what you pay for!!! The reason ProE is difficult to use is because of is accuracy. It will not allow you to make the hacker mistakes you can get away with in the cheap, easy to learn, programs. They allow mistakes in the data that will come back to haunt you when you start cutting production tooling form it.
"Do it right the 1st time" is my advice to anyone trying to develope a new product. Or you will end up paying for it twice.
Actually having sold, supported and implemented (Level II CEP) Pro/ENGINEER for the past 16 years - back to Rev 4 - I can say honestly that there are some packages that are approaching the performance of Pro/E in basic modelling. These are the ones I listed above. For general purpose prismatic parts they work pretty well at a significant savings in learning curve and cost. When expanding from prismatic topology into lofted surfaces or using higher end functionality such as cable routing, harness layout sheetmetal, integrated 5 or 6 axis mfg., mold design, etc., etc... the Pro/ENGINEER package offers a wider integration. Only CATIA can compete across the board with Pro/E's total functionality. However, only a very few shops need that breadth of functionality. The midrange packages such as Solidworks and Inventor do a fine job in meeting the needs of these users.
Evaluate, evaluate, evaluate.

the_gray_goose
06-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Danny
I have also been using Proe since 1989. and if you read the reason he wants to moldel this from above "He also need the ability to pull dimensions off of the program to give to the guys who are going to clay model the vehicle"
It sounds to me like we are not talking about moldeling boxes here. sound more like complex surfacing.
Essex502 are you a Scicon boy???????

Essex502
06-10-2005, 05:21 PM
I have also been using Proe since 1989. and if you read the reason he wants to moldel this from above "He also need the ability to pull dimensions off of the program to give to the guys who are going to clay model the vehicle"
It sounds to me like we are not talking about moldeling boxes here. sound more like complex surfacing.
Essex502 are you a Scicon boy???????
Fock no....I help get the Scicon guys started. Scott Turner and I worked at 3D System prior to my leaving to get into selling/implementing Pro/E at a reseller in 1989. Scicon came into being in 1990 I think and we helped get them started by taking them along on our customer calls to help them sell the RP business. It completed our pitch...art to part!

SummitKarl
06-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Fock no....I help get the Scicon guys started. Scott Turner and I worked at 3D System prior to my leaving to get into selling/implementing Pro/E at a reseller in 1989. Scicon came into being in 1990 I think and we helped get them started by taking them along on our customer calls to help them sell the RP business. It completed our pitch...art to part!
ok lets put this in perspective, MIKE!!!
I will even go lower on the poll = Autocad in Havasu vs. Pro-E in So.Cal or Nv.
Pro-E in So cal or NV.
1) you wake up about 5am?
2) fight with traffic for at least 1hr or 2
3) sit in cubical all day
4) put up with 15 other CAD guys all tring to get it done "THEIR WAY"
5) fight with traffic for another couple of hours
6) arrive home at about 6-7pm
7) on the avg. a Pro-e-guy can make about $100 per hour.
Autocad in Havasu
1) I wake up when I am good and ready about 8am
2) NO TRAFFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3) sit and draw 1 set of house plans, while looking at the Lake all day
4) no other CAD guys whineing
5) NO TRAFFIC!!!!!!!!!!
6) go on lake about 5pm
7) I am WELL PAST!!!!!!! $100 per hour this year
so which one is better?
a fool and his money are soon parted = purchasing PRO-E
oh by the way did mention how SMOOOOOOTH the lake was this evening!!!
<BIG HAPPY GRIN>

shueman
06-10-2005, 07:02 PM
ok lets put this in perspective, MIKE!!!
I will even go lower on the poll = Autocad in Havasu vs. Pro-E in So.Cal or Nv.
Pro-E in So cal or NV.
1) you wake up about 5am?
2) fight with traffic for at least 1hr or 2
3) sit in cubical all day
4) put up with 15 other CAD guys all tring to get it done "THEIR WAY"
5) fight with traffic for another couple of hours
6) arrive home at about 6-7pm
7) on the avg. a Pro-e-guy can make about $100 per hour.
Autocad in Havasu
1) I wake up when I am good and ready about 8am
2) NO TRAFFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3) sit and draw 1 set of house plans, while looking at the Lake all day
4) no other CAD guys whineing
5) NO TRAFFIC!!!!!!!!!!
6) go on lake about 5pm
7) I am WELL PAST!!!!!!! $100 per hour this year
so which one is better?
a fool and his money are soon parted = purchasing PRO-E
oh by the way did mention how SMOOOOOOTH the lake was this evening!!!
<BIG HAPPY GRIN>
There ya go....!!! NICE setup... :wink:

Raisin Wake
06-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Try Anim8or (http://www.anim8or.com/) .... It's free and works really well. It can export to other modeling programs as well. I used this program and it's pretty easy to learn... Good luck!!!!! :)