PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to clean heavy water spots on my hull?

Lake Ape
06-10-2005, 01:17 PM
I have heavy water spots on my boats hull from the previous owner not wiping it down after using it and it looks bad, specially on the blue portions of the hull. The spots are really, really heavy but the hull is not oxidized. I tried a little bit of rubbing compound and that takes it off easily but I figure that isn't the best thing for the hull! My neighbor told me that soft scrub works really good and won't hurt it, another guy suggested something called Ducks? What does everyone use and are there any tips?
Thanks,
Lake Ape!

Panic Button
06-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Vinegar straight will remove just about any water spots in seconds. Just remember to rewax the area.

Angry Inch
06-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Like above, 1 part vinegar and 4 parts water. You may have to increase concentration for heavy spots. And, like Panic said, vinegar will strip wax. Good luck.

tamalewagon
06-10-2005, 01:53 PM
PM Tobtek for some of his magic "sauce".

h2oski2fast
06-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Shower Power, then a good wax job.

phebus
06-10-2005, 03:39 PM
If they are really bad, you can use CLR. Wipe it on, and the spots come off immediately. Just be sure to wash the boat afterwards. Trust me, it doesn't hurt the gel, and was reccomended to me by one of the best detailers on the board.

Mandelon
06-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Try a 22 oz framing hammer. :hammerhea :hammerhea
Vinegar is good stuff, CLR works too, but don't get it in your eyes...it hurtz!

Tom Brown
06-10-2005, 03:42 PM
I have used toilet bowl cleaner and a toilet bowl brush (both new :D ). It works fantastic to get grime and such off of hulls. The hull will smell minty fresh afterward too. :cool:

desertbird
06-10-2005, 03:43 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77682
Now, Ya'll aren't gonna believe this, but I swear it's true. :jawdrop:
Water is it's own best solvent. When I say that, this is what I mean:
For years I have had a spray bottle on the boat. Before we pull in to the dock, I fill it with whatever water I am floating on, be it Havasu, Mojave, The River in between or Castaic. Then when we pull out, spray down the water spots and they come off with a bath towel (provided you keep a good wax job)
No BULL! But there is a catch, and that is you must use the water you are on. Castaic water won't work on Havasu spots just like tap water wont work on rain spots. Believe it or not.
How did I come to this conclusion? Always owning a closed bow boat, and being anal about when we parked and having water spots while we float. A damp towel with lake water always did the trick, and I took it to the next level.
Save some $$$$ and use the Meguirs once you get home. This works great in between days on the weekender.

Beer-30
06-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Desertbird, have you tried Plexus on your windshield yet? It made mine look absolutely brand-new.

ACLC
06-10-2005, 10:38 PM
DRIVEN!!!! Quick Spray....

clownpuncher
06-10-2005, 10:45 PM
I've used this stuff called "Warlock25". Seems to work the best. :D

JustMVG
06-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Little bit of vinegar and water and those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, works for us on our Ultra, it's a 1995 and still looks great. also the Erasers work on the vinyl real well also.

WILD LAVEY
06-11-2005, 12:28 AM
yep, what he said. that stuff works great.

HavaPaul
06-11-2005, 12:12 PM
This is what i do, first every spring the boat is waxed. as a rule do not soap wash your boat. soap will remove the wax, anything will. I always hose off dust and rag off. water spots stick due to a lack of wax, should wipe right off of wax. If you get oil scumm or such, use a verry watered down wax in a bottle for degreasing. Never soap. Or some people use vineger, this is a real good wax stripper. Give it a try.

HavaPaul
06-11-2005, 12:16 PM
if the boat was color sanded or buffed, leaving no wax. and water got on it, it will be dificult to remove the spots. Something acidic perhapws will work, lemon juice? Of course that will strip your wax off as well.

Relaxalot
06-11-2005, 12:23 PM
I agree with the river water technique, it's also a great price. Soak a towel in the lake before you pull out, scrub off all of the spots and dry with a towel. You still have to wax but this works great!

Debbolas
06-11-2005, 12:46 PM
we wipe our boat down each time we pull it out......Warlock has some great stuff called "Frenzy" it's a whole boat cleaning system.
the duck stuff you are thinking of is called "Ducky" I think, it does what vinegar and water does, but smells better and costs a lot more.
We wipe with vineagar & water, or a wet towel from the river, or this boat cleaner spray that we have....
Mr. Clean's magic eraser works great on seat stains, becarefull using it on painted surfaces as it a micro abrasive.

coolchange
06-11-2005, 04:34 PM
You boat in dideuterium oxide? :sqeyes: :D

afi823
06-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Ducky!!

Debbolas
06-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Ducky!! :D

beer hunter
06-11-2005, 05:47 PM
I've used this stuff called "Warlock25". Seems to work the best. :D
I need to get a little of that stuff in the next few weaks ;)
A buddy of mine just had John detail his boat and he said it came out great!:D

a catered life
06-13-2005, 06:44 AM
i second this i use it my self and if you use the wax the water spots are a lot less and tend not to be so hard to get off

Huckleberry
06-13-2005, 06:50 AM
Yep! This stuff is da bomb!

Garrddogg
06-13-2005, 07:05 AM
Waxing Frenzy is the shiat!
And you can buy it from some on the boards!!
pm warlock25
it really is good stuff :D