PDA

View Full Version : Wanted BBF Heads..

disco_charger
06-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Anybody got some decent BBF heads for sale? My buddy needs a pair. Email me at duke714@verizon.net
Thanks.

dmontzsta
06-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Contact Paul (LakesOnly) he could probably build him a VERY nice set of heads.

disco_charger
06-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Contact Paul (LakesOnly) he could probably build him a VERY nice set of heads.
I pm'd him a ways back, but I think the PM's are down. Speed in getting them is becoming an issue.

Squirtin Thunder
06-11-2005, 06:22 PM
DC check your pms !!!

Squirtcha?
06-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Stock D3's with a recent valve job (one season of runtime on em). They're ready to "paint to match" and bolt on. I Sent ya an email. $150

RiverRacer
06-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Before you decide on what to buy, go to www.dscmotorsport.com and look. I have everything you might need. Notice my old(1984) CP 19' on the home page. I have a new CP 18' with a LARGE BBF coming. Have fun browsing.

davidr34
06-13-2005, 02:39 PM
I need some to but dont have all the money in the world but 150 a very good price

disco_charger
06-13-2005, 02:49 PM
He found some. He's getting impatient because he needs to get back on the water. He's kicking himself about Squirtcha's deal cause he would have saved some money. David, get a hold of Squirtcha (Dan) cause that's a smoking deal.

Squirtcha?
06-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Yup it is a good deal. I even have a $45 set of new stock pushrods I'll let go with em for free.
I did a compression check on my motor (with these heads) prior to pulling it apart for a rebuild, and wrote down the results. Well within spec.
#1 127
#2 122
#3 125
#4 128
#5 129
#6 130
#7 122
#8 127

Jetmugg
06-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Dan:
What heads are you running now? I need to learn about this Ford stuff, as I'll be picking up my 460 powered Gullwing on wednesday. What are the "best" heads for a middle of the road (500HP or so) 460? Something in aluminum would be nice.
I know my Chevy stuff pretty well, but I'm a novice with Fords. I think I've heard of the "Blue Thunder" heads as high-end heads.
SteveM.

Squirtcha?
06-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Hey Steve
Running the Edelbrock Performer RPM small chambered (77cc) with some forged dished pistons. Compression is at 9.5:1 and it runs well on pump gas. It even does well on 87 octane, but since I usually give her the squeeze (N20) I typically run premium 91 octane.
I'm real happy with my heads. going on my fourth season with em. They were a bolt on proposition. I bought them all setup with valves, springs, etc.
Congrats on getting the gullwing back.
I was sorry to see Jake let her go after doing all that work though.

Jake W2
06-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Steve might look at the new Trick Flow alum stripand street heads.Price is about the same as Edelbrocks blue thunders will coast you out the ass and thay have chevy ext ports so you would need to buy a new set of headers.
Jake

FILUCKY
06-13-2005, 09:03 PM
500 HP? I would but Squirtcha's heads and spend a few hundred(or do it your self) porting the heads, mostly the ext. ports, thats Fords weak point. I think they would work great for what your looking for and its hard to beat that price.

Squirtcha?
06-14-2005, 02:30 AM
I was gonna mention those same heads Jake did (Trickflow street n strip) the price is just slightly more than the Ebrocks, but I don't know anybody that's run them yet. Kinda scary putting down that kind of cash without knowing (no history to speak of).
I'm betting that the Ebrocks would benefit greatly from some port work like Filucky mentioned. Box stock they flow better numbers than a set of worked iron heads do, but they could be even better.

hack job
06-14-2005, 09:09 AM
i love my blue thunders cause i run thur the transum exhaust. and they fully ported helped me get 735 hp . i know the edlebrock are supose to be good but fomr what i understand the ford motor sports cobra jet ones ( the john Kasse ones) kick ass .

davidr34
06-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Squirtcha? I would like to get those heads but im having trouble sending you a pm or email.. well heres my email, David_remington1@hotmail.com thanks

FILUCKY
06-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Hey Hack Job, what C.I. motor ya running? My spare engine is a 557 C.I. with A460 heads worked over(2.4 int. 1.9 ext.) with lots of smoothing on the ports. I ran these heads over CJ's 'cause i had a BBC in my boat when i bought it and it had new bassets(same ext. bolt pattern) the money i saved over buying ford headers payed the differance(kind of.) Now i can't go back! So my new motor i went crazy with C460 setup(on race gas) makes 1020 HP.! The only problem is now i have to work 7 days a week to pay for it and no time to boat! Fords kick butt.

LakesOnly
06-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Anybody got some decent BBF heads for sale? My buddy needs a pair. Email me at duke714@verizon.net
Thanks.
Sorry I missed the PM's Disco, my PM pop-ups AND email notification don't seem to be working.
By the way, I have several pairs of heads in various states of porting completion. (Port jobs are completed once I know the engine build specifics, then port accordingly.)
LO

Squirtcha?
06-14-2005, 05:03 PM
i love my blue thunders cause i run thur the transum exhaust. and they fully ported helped me get 735 hp . i know the edlebrock are supose to be good but fomr what i understand the ford motor sports cobra jet ones ( the john Kasse ones) kick ass .
If you don't mind my asking..............how much did you have to fork over for the thunders Tyson?
Very nice stuff, but I was on my second build and didn't have any extra cash. The Ebrocks were a nice compromise for me.

LakesOnly
06-14-2005, 07:09 PM
...blue thunders will cost you out the ass and thay have chevy ext ports so you would need to buy a new set of headers.
Jake
Bite your tongue, Jake! :2purples: :cool: While it is absolutely tru that new headers will be needed, the Blue Thunder head does NOT use a chebby exhaust port. Ugh! If it did, it would not give up flow numbers (or horsepower) as good as its actual ports do.
The proper way to describe this port is as having the feature of a chebby exhaust flange. The reason these Ford heads started coming with chebby flanges is actually for the boating arena. as I understand it, the hardcore drag racers of the time did not have great boat headers for the Fords available to them, so the head makers started manufacturing their Ford heads to accomodate a chebby boat header.
LO

LakesOnly
06-14-2005, 07:21 PM
The TFS Street/Strip head mentioned above is bar none the most amazing bang-for-buck aluminum cylinder head out there for the types of builds being discussed.
This head is more or less modeled after the D0VE head, but the following improvements are made:
Cast out of aluminum
2.19"/1.76" valves (vs. 2.08/1.65 stock)
Dual quench pad combustion chamber (you won't find this on anything less than a C-460 drag racing head)
Raised floor exhaust port
Passenger car size intakes that flow on par with SCJ size ports, thanks to their revised shape
These TFS Street/Strip heads are doing things that no other aluminum head currently out there could possibly do if their intake ports were passenger car size. For a basic 460, take these heads over the BT's, over the SCJ's, over this and over that.
Stroker motors and high rpm motors may be a different story...
LO

RiverRacer
06-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Steve might look at the new Trick Flow alum stripand street heads.Price is about the same as Edelbrocks blue thunders will coast you out the ass and thay have chevy ext ports so you would need to buy a new set of headers.
Jake
I sell LOTS of Blue Thunder Heads for 460 type engines as well as FE's(427's) and 351-C's. A set of Blue Thunder Heads will cost you $1600.00 with new Stainless Steel Valves. This includes 2.25" x 1.80" Valves, PI size Intake ports, vastly improved Exhaust ports(raised floor-stock location so your Headers WILL fit), interlocking Valve seats that WON"T pop out, Silicon-Bronze-Manganese Valve guides(the finest) and a completely redesigned quench combustion chamber. All this in a T-356 heat treated casting done in a mil spec Aircraft foundry with state of the art CNC machinery that will accept STOCK type Valvegear. These Heads can easily be ported to 400 cfm Intake flow @.700" and over 250 Exhaust flow @ .700"(by us). This is enough to support over 800 hp with the industries benchmark of quality, craftsmanship and realiability. Ask anyone that owns a set of Blue Thunder's what THEY think. There are lots of good Heads out there. Blue Thunder is right in the mix. If anyone needs more info, pm me.

dmontzsta
06-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Paul is working on a set of heads for me right now, I cant wait until they are done, he knows what he is doing. :cool: It is amazing what he can do with a pair of cast heads.

Squirtcha?
06-15-2005, 05:51 AM
I sell LOTS of Blue Thunder Heads for 460 type engines as well as FE's(427's) and 351-C's. A set of Blue Thunder Heads will cost you $1600.00 with new Stainless Steel Valves.
That's each right?
I paid $1650 for the pair of Edelbrocks setup, complete, and ready to bolt on. Not trying to be an ass, just saying that's why I went for them rather than some of the other$$$$$.
While it's true that you get what you pay for, I knew that my build (a measley little 500 hp) was attainable with what I was buying and anything else would've been overkill.

Jetmugg
06-15-2005, 06:47 AM
I'm learning at a pretty fast rate, great discussion here. A while back (6 mos. maybe), I think it was Popular Hot Rodding magazine that ran an Engine Masters Challenge for big blocks. I think it was a 470 inch maximum, and they had a full set of rules to keep any builders from going too wild.
The winner of the big block category was a Ford. I was shocked, as I fully expected a BBC or a Hemi to be able to clean up in this competition. However, Ford won the day. Now I need to dig out that magazine and read more of the details.
Later,
Steve.

LakesOnly
06-15-2005, 07:46 AM
A while back (6 mos. maybe), I think it was Popular Hot Rodding magazine that ran an Engine Masters Challenge for big blocks. I think it was a 470 inch maximum, and they had a full set of rules to keep any builders from going too wild.
The winner of the big block category was a Ford. I was shocked, as I fully expected a BBC or a Hemi to be able to clean up in this competition.
Later,
Steve.
The Ford that won was built by Jon Kaase of Jon Kaase Racing Engines. The following year (last year) was a small block stroker competition and Kasse's won again with a stroked small block Ford.
In both cases, the builder's knowledge was a big part of the winning, but so was the proper combination of components, my point being (on the latter) that there are just so many amazing cylinder heads and other parts out there for the Fords now that few non-enthusiasts realize how much our parts availability has exploded. The chebbys have had awesome parts available for decades, but suddenly the 429/460 engine family over just the last several years is right up there with other makes, in regards to aftermarket parts availability. So fast, in fact, that I still hear, "But you can't get parts for Fords...." HUH??? How about over twenty different aftermarket cylinder heads (by the way, we are about to get our hands on the first of yet ANOTHER aluminum head coming on the market), belt drives, timing covers, even insane aftermarket cylinder blocks.
The only thing that the other makes can readily get and we cannot is an inexpensive forged crankshaft, but this will change before the year is out, not that it matters unless your building a fully blown monster, because the productin cast Ford cranks is stronger than the cast chebby or mopar cranks are.
There are a LOT of great cylinder heads out there, including the Edelbrocks and BT's for sure. Even Kaase has a brand spanking new THIRD generation SCJ head (Called the P-51). Also, it's not about bolting on the most outrageous cylinder head; rather, it's about bolting on the most appropriate cylinder head for the application. That's where your best power will come from. And if it's a little ol 460 you're working with as the one you describe, then the TFS Street/Strip casting is your best bet. I have known them to support 800+HP (engine was bigger than 460 and the heads were lightly port blended). By the way, they flow as good on the exhaust than any of the heads mentioned in this thread, except for maybe the P-51's. I think they run about $1850 + shipping, complete and ready to bolt on with brand new valves, springs, etc. I might be able to get a set for less than that if anyone's interested...or port some iron, etc.
LO

LakesOnly
06-15-2005, 07:51 AM
I sell LOTS of Blue Thunder Heads for 460 type engines as well as FE's(427's) and 351-C's...
Is that you Dennis? :cool:
Paul Kane aka LO

RiverRacer
06-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Is that you Dennis? :cool:
Paul Kane aka LO
Yes Paul, it's me. Haven't looked here in awhile until last month. Now that my CP is nearing completion, I thought it was time for me to get in the mix. Fortunately for both of us, this is a very good time to own a Ford. Most Chevy guys don't even know what hit em'!!!!!!. The guys at Blythe used to think my stroked 427 FE was a 500" Cadillac or giant Buick. Of course, it's hard to identify an engine that is in front of you, pulling away, LOL. Take care and good luck on your new venture. Maybe I'll see you later in the summer at Naci or SA(we go there). Dennis

hack job
06-15-2005, 09:00 AM
That's each right?
I paid $1650 for the pair of Edelbrocks setup, complete, and ready to bolt on. Not trying to be an ass, just saying that's why I went for them rather than some of the other$$$$$.
While it's true that you get what you pay for, I knew that my build (a measley little 500 hp) was attainable with what I was buying and anything else would've been overkill.
i paid 1400 for a bare set and then had them ported and put my own valves seats and springs on them i can tell you that river racers flow #'s are pretty good. mine were right there i dont have them off hand but they were right there. i wasnt saying the eldebrocks were no good they make a good head. i just liked the chevy exhaust flange.
;)

dmontzsta
06-15-2005, 09:06 AM
i paid 1400 for a bare set and then had them ported and put my own valves seats and springs on them i can tell you that river racers flow #'s are pretty good. mine were right there i dont have them off hand but they were right there. i wasnt saying the eldebrocks were no good they make a good head. i just liked the chevy exhaust flange.
;)
Chevy exhaust flange is a great idea. We all know how easy it is to get Chevy exhaust.

Squirtcha?
06-15-2005, 10:22 AM
I wasnt saying the eldebrocks were no good.
That's cool Tyson. I didn't take it that way. At the time, the Trick Flow street n strips weren't out, and for aftermarket aluminum, the Edelbrocks were the best bang for the buck for a 500 hp build. It's on the fourth season now.
I'm happy. I think with some porting they'd support more ponies, but I don't have any plans to rebuild for a while (fingers crossed here).......... :confused:

Squirtin Thunder
06-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Dan check your PMs !!!

waterslinger
06-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Squirtcha?, What head gasket??

rivertard
06-15-2005, 07:24 PM
I run trick flow heads on my 466. dyno #565hp. @ 5500.picked up around 80hp. verses cast iron.(rivertard) :cool:

Nucking futs
06-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Holy shiat Mike, how big of an avitar do you need?? :D

Wicked Performance Boats
06-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Rivertard, That's some great #'s, now you just need to get it on a plane! j/k, your boat runs great! till it runs out of fuel, j/k " The most enter :cool: taining boat on the river" Budlight

Squirtcha?
06-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Squirtcha?, What head gasket??
Honestly can't remember. I didn't write it down and it's been three years. They're felpros, but don't remember the number. They make a set that works well with the different expansion rates (iron block and aluminum heads). Those'd be the ones you want.
Maybe Lakes (Paul) would know?

06-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Honestly can't remember. I didn't write it down and it's been three years. They're felpros, but don't remember the number. They make a set that works well with the different expansion rates (iron block and aluminum heads). Those'd be the ones you want.
Maybe Lakes (Paul) would know?Fel-Pro #1018

Squirtcha?
06-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Fel-Pro #1018
Thanks

full throttle
06-18-2005, 07:32 AM
I may have a set of DOVE heads in my shop if anyone needs them.