PDA

View Full Version : drive, prop, gears, What works and What Doesn't

hulshot
02-28-2002, 08:34 PM
Tunnel owners, I'm looking for some imput on some drive combos. Who's had good luck and Who hasn't? I'm finishing up a 26 HCB cat and need some drive combos that work. I now have a Teague Platinum drive with 1:36 and a 32 bravo, I don't know how long it will last coupled to a 1000+HP motor. I'm looking for what may hold up the best and run fastest ie... short lower with tall gears and high pitch or high gears with low pitch, ect, ect, B-Max, Imco, XR. Unfortunatly for me I dont know of alot of testing with this type of boat so thats why I need your help> Thanks...

burtandnancy
02-28-2002, 08:53 PM
That the million dollar question. The answer won't come cheap or easy. As you know a lot of guys test daily to find these answers. Now you have to get them to talk to you for reasonable bucks, cause now its not cheap anymore.
You need to talk to your hull mfgr, engine builder and finally rigger. You'll probably get at least three answers, so work it out. Main thing though: Don't get hurt...

riverliver
02-28-2002, 09:15 PM
Hulshot
SVO540 is running over 1000HP in his DCB 26
he has a imco set up http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

hulshot
02-28-2002, 10:25 PM
RL does SVO540 have a short lower or standard lower?? Is there an advantage to either one? What gears?

hulshot
02-28-2002, 10:42 PM
What puts the biggest strain on the drive? I'm trying to get a strong combo so I don"t have to spend the thousands on hit and miss drive combos. I'm relying on others to lead in the right direction. I have talked to the builders and they say Teague because it's next door to them and they get good prices, also Howard has never experimented with different drive heights or gearing according to him. Same thing everytime I ask them, BOAT RUNS BEST AT THIS DRIVE HEIGHT WITH THIS PROP AND THIS IS THE SPEEDS YOU SHOULD GET. I don't think that is alot of help for someone trying to get all the potentials out of there product, or maybe this is the best combo and leave it alone???

SVO 540
02-28-2002, 11:05 PM
Hulshot, I have your answers but not enough time to post right now. I will post Friday with some details.

Craig
03-01-2002, 04:08 AM
Holeshots are what will kill a drive. It really loads the top gears, and boat weight is a factor. Flying the boat off a wave without pulling back on the throttle can ruin your day eventually as well!
Seems like some folks have had luck with the B-Max, but the most popular right now seems to be the XR drive. There's a well know shop here in town that has not had much luck with the IMCO stuff. They have an issue with the design of the vertical shaft. But there are folks out there running the crap out of them with success. The new IMCO Advantage SC with the new case looks interesting.
If I were putting togther a new boat right now, I'd go with the XR. (unless money started falling out of my butt, then it's be a #6 http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif )
Just my 2 cents, and it ain't even worth that really!!
[This message has been edited by Craig (edited March 01, 2002).]

MrHavasuCat
03-01-2002, 11:09 AM
I have a Teague XR on my DCB with a blown 510. I have not had a problem yet. I have one season on the boat. I was running 1.50's and had Teague change the foot gears so I am now running 1.35's.
With the 1.50's I was having to run larger props and planing was a bitch, not to mention more slip. I was able to drop down to a labed 30 with the new gear ratio, and just bought a 28 for the warmer months at Havasu.
As long as you don't hammer on the drive out of the hole, although I know some who have and have not broken, the XR should be fine.

572Daytona
03-01-2002, 12:52 PM
I've got an American Turbine drive that I've had no problems with and should be good to approx 2000hp. I've also had the best luck with no gears or props at all http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

MrHavasuCat
03-01-2002, 02:51 PM
Put that American Turbine in a 26' cat and you will have a dog!!

DMB
03-01-2002, 03:15 PM
I've heard good things about the XR due to the straight cut gears, although they say you should still upgrade the shafts. I ran a stock bravo with about 800 to 900HP for two seasons believe it or not, but was very careful not to hammer it out of the hole and also eased it into full throtle.
I am now running a B MAX the second one, with About 1000 to 1100 HP, I carnaged the first one, but they replaced it with no problems to date.
Imco is pretty much just an upgraded XR unit with all their products.
Try calling Max Machine Works in lake havasu They have An upgrade for the Bravo or XR they also sell complete units. 928-505-7860
Just so ya know, Nothing is going to last if you keep putting the screws to it, I,ve broken gears,bent shafts,wore out clutches,broken the coupling assembly for the u joints at the input shaft, They just last a little longer. shaft

RiverDave
03-01-2002, 03:21 PM
DMB, How's it been going..
How's the schedule looking for March?
Smellsomemore is right around the corner!
RD

DMB
03-01-2002, 06:36 PM
Whats Up RD, I think were going to come down
saturday,maybe spend the night.I haven't
made any reservations,Is it necessary if we want to spend the night.

hulshot
03-01-2002, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the info Guys. American Turbine??? Jet?? 572Daytona must have a 21 Squirt boat, probably not the best combo for speed or big boats.
My last boats were made for hole shots (hence my user name) Now I'm into bigger boats, not worried about holeshots but still needing the speed. Has anyone used a Imco 2" shorter lower on bigger boats and had success?
Craig I'd love a #6 but for 30k notttt. I'll stick to my price range.
DMB What happened to the B-Max I here if you change from bravo to B-Max you have to move the drive or do somthing different to fit it on the upper??
SVO 540 I'm looking forward to the posts. (Buy the way Sweeetttt Ride) I am lookin to get to the high 120's to low 130's if possible with the right combo. I beleive the power is there but I don't know how the boat will react. Best HCB has radared is said to be 125 or so but I could not find any details.
Keep it coming, my brain is sweeling with info Thanks

hulshot
03-01-2002, 06:52 PM
sorry about the sad face, forgot.

SVO 540
03-01-2002, 09:14 PM
Hulshot, thanks for the good words on my boat. First off it's a DCB not a HCB. Is that a typo or is there such a thing as a HCB?
Sorry, but I can't give you any advise until I know more about your set up. If you answer these questions, I will give you my best quess based on my data.
1. Has your motor been dynoed? If so, what RPM is max torque and max HP?
2. What is max HP and torque?
3. What kind of camshaft do you have? Is it a solid or hyd. roller or flat tappet?
4. Do you currently have a standard length lower drive?
5. How far below the rub rail is the top of your drive mounted?
6. Is your boat open or closed deck?
7. Is your goal top speed or overall good driveablity?
That should do it. Give me this data and I will give you my best guess. It is possible your set up could be just like mine. BTW, I do have a stand off box and 2 inch shorter lower, 1.25 gear, 32 lab for high speed and 28 non-lab for cruising and drive is mounted 3/4 inch below rub rail. The shorter lower all depends on where your drive is mounted on the transom and if a stand off box is used. I will wait to hear from you.
SVO 540 - OUT

DMB
03-01-2002, 10:29 PM
SVO,I'm curious what does the type of camshaft your running have to do with your outdrive,HP is HP wouldn't your first Couple of questions cover this.
Giving the rub rail as a point of reference I'm assuming your talking X dimension,wouldn't this vary from Mfg to Mfg.
Closed deck or open deck? no matter what you run wouldn't the bow rider be slower.
hulshot the B MAX Bolted right up no Modification at all,what happened to the first one good question something popped, then nothing,I called B MAX told them what happened they sent me out a new improved unit a week later.
I'm not trying to start crap just curious SVO
[This message has been edited by DMB (edited March 02, 2002).]

hulshot
03-02-2002, 10:55 PM
SVO540, No mistake HCB= Howard Custom Boats. I'm also curious on some Questions because it seem irrelavant. Maybe I'm just to new with big boats to know.
Cam is a solid Roller, Dyno is 965lbs @ 5100 1014hp@ 6700rpm. (after one pull I went passed my goal and stopped). Also the BSFC was at .61 (fat and happy) My drive is a teague platimun with a standard lenth drive. closed deck, prop shaft is about 2-3 inches below the center pod, which on a HCB is the lowest point. operating range is form 40 to wherever it will stop. No stand off box. hope this is enough info.
DMB can I bolt on a B-Max with no stand off box and use all my steering components. I think I like the idea of using 1:20 or so gears with a smaller pitch prop and if I need to go faster then I'll stand on the motor more

hulshot
03-02-2002, 10:56 PM
SVO540, No mistake HCB= Howard Custom Boats. I'm also curious on some Questions because it seem irrelavant. Maybe I'm just to new with big boats to know.
Cam is a solid Roller, Dyno is 965lbs @ 5100 1014hp@ 6700rpm. (after one pull I went passed my goal and stopped). Also the BSFC was at .61 (fat and happy) My drive is a teague platimun with a standard lenth drive. closed deck, prop shaft is about 2-3 inches below the center pod, which on a HCB is the lowest point. operating range is form 40 to wherever it will stop. No stand off box. hope this is enough info.
DMB can I bolt on a B-Max with no stand off box and use all my steering components. I think I like the idea of using 1:20 or so gears with a smaller pitch prop and if I need to go faster then I'll stand on the motor more

SVO 540
03-03-2002, 09:12 AM
DMB and Hulshot,
The questions may seem irrelevant but they are not. Let me explain. The type of camshaft you have will give me an idea of how much spring pressure you have. It is the amount of spring pressure that determines the max RPM the engine can turn. So the cam question was to get a feel for max RPM when making a prop pitch and gear ratio recommendation. My question about where is peak torque and HP was also for this same purpose. Hulshot, the data you gave me is helpful. For example, I have a hyd. roller cam and you have a solid roller cam. Your motor makes its power and torque at higher RPM than mine does, yet we have similar peak torque and HP. Therefore you will want to use a smaller prop than I run, because you will want to run more RPM. I hope this is clear and easy to understand.
DMB is correct about the rub rail reference being different from mfg to mfg. I thought you had a DCB so I asked the question to compare it to my set up. I don't know HCB X -dims so I am not of help here.
An open bow cat needs to have a lower x-dim than a closed deck cat because of the added weight up front. That is why I ask that question, but again, I don't know HCB x-dims so I can't make a recommendation on hulshots x-dim.
Hulshot, this is my best GUESS for you. Your current drive will not last. It doesn't have straight cut gears (XR gears). Use IMCO's new 3 gear extreme advantage drive. This has the XR gears in it. I will assume HCB will pick the correct x-dim. By adding a standoff box you effectively increase your x-dim by two inches. Therefore run the IMCO standoff box and use an IMCO 2 inch shorter lower unit. Have IMCO set up the lower with a gear reduction so your final drive ratio is 1.25. (NOTE: a 1.35 gear would also work for you because of your need to run the higher RPM) I would ask HCB and IMCO for there advice on final gear ratio. If you go with a 1.25 gear, I would use a 28 pitch prop. If you go with a 1.35 gear, your 32 pitch prop will work. This could save you a few bucks because you don't have to buy a new prop.
If you can achieve a 5% slip factor, 6700 RPM, 1.25 gear ratio and 28 pitch prop, your top speed is 135mph. Go for it, good luck and be safe.
SVO 540 - OUT

CSX4266
03-03-2002, 12:01 PM
SVO 540, what is YOUR final drive ratio?

hcb26
03-03-2002, 12:10 PM
congrats on your Howard, which one is it. Im running a 1000 hp and have a B-max with 1:30 gear ratio and am turning a 29 lab finished prop. The combo is working great for me, if you have any ?s just ask.
hcb26

SVO 540
03-03-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by CSX4266:
SVO 540, what is YOUR final drive ratio?

CSX4266
03-04-2002, 09:31 AM
SVO 540, I tried running 1:21's and I couldn't pull them. I am running in excess of 1000hp/950'lbs. in a 25'cat. I even dropped down to a 26 pitch Bravo 1 and that didn't help. So now I'm going to 1:38's and back to the 30/32 pitch prop. The 1.25's must be hard to run unless you have tons of torque, right?

hulshot
03-04-2002, 12:44 PM
SVO540 Can I just have upgraded gears put in my drive and go to the two inch shorter imco and keep the gear ratio I already have ( 1:36) and then maybe run my 32 or maybe a 30? So you don't think I should change to a B-Max, and run the standard bravo size upgraded gears? good call on the solid cam and high spring rates. 255# at the seats. Less chance for floating if the prop comes out.
The only down side to having this motor is having to small of exhaust to let the motor use its full potential. At least for right now anyway. I'll do the exhaust after I get this boat up and running, Which sould be soon. Any affodable Exhaust recomendations, sicne I can't run 2.25" tube zoomies anymore. I want to stay dry exhaust until the end.

hulshot
03-04-2002, 12:48 PM
hcb 26, Sounds like you have the same boat as I do. 26 Cat with the same power as well. Where are you out of. I'm in Cal. Lets talk shop since you've already been there and I'm just starting to get there. What year??

hulshot
03-04-2002, 12:55 PM
Svo 540, forgot, Howard says that the X dimension is already where they recomend. I went and measured the X dimension and it is more around the 4" below the center pod. Howard has not done much testing with different drive heights I don't think.

hcb26
03-04-2002, 05:47 PM
Hulshot, I have the all red cat in the hcb ad in ***boat. Its a blowen 565 dynoed at 1093hp, 965 lbs torque im turning a 29 lab finished prop, 1:30 gear ratio in the B-max turning 6700 rpm with 10 lbs of boost, the combo works great! Howard has expermented with the X-dimension, They moved it up 2" on a cat and could not get it to roll over,they tried every prop there was, they ended up putting the two inch spacer in it to get it to finally run right.Their is a guy running a standoff box with a 2" shortened drive and his Howard is running around 120mph, I havent talk to him but I heard the boat gets a lot of lift with that standoff, could be an option im looking at.I would go with the B-max I cant say enough about them, I have had mine on since April of last year ran the boat all summer and couldnt hurt it.And I dont baby it!I did have some shifting problams in the begining but nothing a few minor adjustments couldnt fix.What cat is yours? I live right in Valencia, CA but on the weekeneds in Havasu, (most the time)

hcb26
03-04-2002, 05:47 PM
Hulshot, I have the all red cat in the hcb ad in ***boat. Its a blowen 565 dynoed at 1093hp, 965 lbs torque im turning a 29 lab finished prop, 1:30 gear ratio in the B-max turning 6700 rpm with 10 lbs of boost, the combo works great! Howard has expermented with the X-dimension, They moved it up 2" on a cat and could not get it to roll over,they tried every prop there was, they ended up putting the two inch spacer in it to get it to finally run right.Their is a guy running a standoff box with a 2" shortened drive and his Howard is running around 120mph, I havent talk to him but I heard the boat gets a lot of lift with that standoff, could be an option im looking at.I would go with the B-max I cant say enough about them, I have had mine on since April of last year ran the boat all summer and couldnt hurt it.And I dont baby it!I did have some shifting problams in the begining but nothing a few minor adjustments couldnt fix.What cat is yours? I live right in Valencia, CA but on the weekeneds in Havasu, (most the time)

hcb26
03-04-2002, 05:48 PM
oops posted twice sorry!!!!

hulshot
03-04-2002, 06:03 PM
hcb26 sounds like my boat is identicle to yours, except yours is done and mine is still in the garage. oh well, soon. With that combo at 10% slip you should be running about 127. Do you have a standard length drive or is it shortend. You said someone you know put a two inch shorter lower with the same motor and gear combo and is only going 120. Seems like there is too much slip and the boat is not very efficient. Please tell me that isn't true. I know HCB isn't the fastest hull but I was also told it is not much slower than others that are similarly equiped. I know it won't be the fastest but I don't want to get beat that bad. My Howard is the 2000 L.A boat show boat.

hulshot
03-04-2002, 06:03 PM
hcb26 sounds like my boat is identicle to yours, except yours is done and mine is still in the garage. oh well, soon. With that combo at 10% slip you should be running about 127. Do you have a standard length drive or is it shortend. You said someone you know put a two inch shorter lower with the same motor and gear combo and is only going 120. Seems like there is too much slip and the boat is not very efficient. Please tell me that isn't true. I know HCB isn't the fastest hull but I was also told it is not much slower than others that are similarly equiped. I know it won't be the fastest but I don't want to get beat that bad. My Howard is the 2000 L.A boat show boat.

Boatmaster
03-04-2002, 06:32 PM
Don checked on merc net sell your drive and I'll get you an XR CHEAP! Get that thing running so we can go play!
See YA Drew

hcb26
03-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Hulshot, 2000 boat show, I was working for Howards at that time, I probably worked on your boat,I worked the show for them last year also, What color is it my cats also a 2000. Im sorry the guy running the stand off with the two inch shortened drive is running over 120 im not sure exactly he has a twin turbo deal lives on the east coast I belive. I never belive those calculations, rpm, gear ratio, slip bla bla bla I just watch my gps, guys are always doing these calculations and say they run like 130 or something and the next weekened I kick thier a*# in a 120 mph boat,Thier are so many things that factor in when you are really on the water. Are you going to the boat show this weekened im going to be helping Howard out there this weekened. You ever go to havasu?

hulshot
03-05-2002, 06:52 PM
hcb26 I was planning on going to the big block spanking with some of my outboard friends, but I can't get the time off of work. My wife and I also are thinking of going to the poker run the following weedend, still up in the air. I have to work on Saturdays(sucks) so I won't be going to the show, we did try to plan it but just couldn't. I boat on the Sacramento deltas and mostly on lake Shasta where my best friend has a houseboat and on good weekend we will get anywhere from 10-20 boats in our group, most of them Daytonas. we all go out of Shasta Marina. My boat is in Gene's photo book at Howard. It is the first 2000 model year boat from them or the last 1999 boat made, either way it is a 2000
I'm thinking of going to an XR drive and maybe some different internals. Possibly a one inch shorter lower,unless I can find a cheapB-max upper. I'm gambling on the 1 inch shorter to help the boat. One big factor on going to a bravo style is all my steering will hook up with no mods. If I change to a B-Max I may run into problems with the accories and transome clearance.
If your motor is putting out the same #'s as mine I don't think I'll be able to pull a 32 with 1:35/36 to 6500to 6700. Now a 30 on the other hand I might and it will have a harder midrange charge. Your right the nubers will always look better on paper.
How does the boat feel at speed and in different water conditions??

hulshot
03-05-2002, 06:55 PM
boatmaster, hook me up and we'll go and play alot this year. the sooner the better. keep me informed. I see you had no problems recognizing the name.

DMB
03-05-2002, 09:19 PM
hcb 26 , I agree with you, on paper in theory,different on the water.
I don't agree with the spring pressure governing the RPMs,If you run a solid you run more spring pressure, but you can pick a solid or hyd cam to run the same exact profile,the solid should make more horse power quicker and you will be able to spin it harder,without the chance of floating a lifter.
You would also have to consider lift,lobe separation, duration ect,you run more spring pressure with a solid,but I don't see this determining what prop to run.
Mr Pump and steve god rest their souls,ran the exact same out drive,steve had a hyd while Mr Pump had a solid they ran 26 or 28for1/4 mile runs and 30 and 32 for top end speed runs.
They also both ran B Max,s at one time with 1.30 gear ratios.
The B Max comes without the holes drilled for external steering,you line it up mark it and remove the back and have a machine shop drill it and bolt it back on. no clearance problems ect so if you want to go this route you can with no custom fabrication other than the holes for the steering.
As far as props go you have got to go out with a couple and try them.
[This message has been edited by DMB (edited March 06, 2002).]

hcb26
03-05-2002, 09:21 PM
I can honestly tell you that I have taken my hands off the wheel at 90mph and the boat just tracks, wouldnt reccomend it though, At around 115 it is stable as can be it just sits on the tail and goes. Shasta we have been going there for the last 7 years 2nd week in august we get a houseboat out of bridge bay, awsome lake,we usually stay down the pit arm where the bears walk right onto the houseboat kinda cool, i ran into some DCB boys down there last year, i guess he is running around 1000 hp he told me he was breaking the B-max i couldnt belive it.

hcb26
03-06-2002, 11:53 AM
Hulshot, You might know the guys Im talking about up in Shasta, one had a DCB with a Teague 1000hp motor the others had Daytonas, I dont remember thier names but cool guys, at the time I saw them, the DCB just broke the XR and they were putting it on the trailer at Joans Valley. Thier is another guy there with an older daytona red and white that we see each year,always two older gentalmen in that boat, cool guys also! Hope the water level is up this year, last year sucked.

hulshot
03-06-2002, 09:55 PM
DMB do you have a contact for b-max

hulshot
03-06-2002, 10:05 PM
hcb26 We know all the regulars with eliminators at shasta. They were all probably 19 to 21 foot daytonas with small blocks on nitrous or big block on nitrous. There is one 22 out of salt creek with a 613ci that we see once in a while but we beat him so bad I think he doesn't want to play anymore. He came challenging the 21 with nitrous and was pulling him then I went by both of them in my old 22, he just yelled at his girl friend and we laughed. We will have to plan on joining up with you when you come up. Should be fun. Were always up the Sac arm by doe cove on the inlet to Shasta marina. We have herd about a Mach 22 but have never seen it.

hulshot
03-06-2002, 10:19 PM
DMC,hcb26, SVO540, this is where the dilemma comes in. Some people break the strong XR drive and some Break the B-Max, I want to get the right drive to start with and not have to switch down the road to another type because of a breakage problem every other time out. do the uppers cost about the same $$and can you get them both in a 1.25, 1.36, 1.30??

hcb26
03-06-2002, 10:38 PM
hulshot, the last I heard with the B-max is the upper unit comes in a 1:30 gear ratio or a 1:40 they may have diffrent options now, give Bravo Shop in Florida a call.I know you can get the XR in the gears you mentioned. As far as which drive to go, I can only tell you that I love my B-max and am pretty confident in it everytime I hammer down. Two of my friends are running it also, with same horsepower as ours and they havent had a problem yet either.I guess its one of those things were you just need to go with your best judgment,and get as many opinions as possible because nothings worse then getting towed into the marina with another broken drive,thank god those days are over for me!!! ( knock on wood ! ) I know a lot of people go with the XRs because they are alittle cheaper and you can get the gear ratio you want, I heard they are holding up! Anyways good luck with eveerything, hopefully we can catch up in Havasu this summer !

FastCats
03-07-2002, 06:27 AM
Hi hulshot,
We have been running the Teague XR Platinum drives with the IMCO lower cases with some pretty big hp and they are holding very well. The XR is a little slower, but stronger, than the XZ because of the cut of the gear and windage in the case according to Teague. We have also ran the BMax's with great success. With what you have described on your boat, I think that either will be fine. Hope that this helps!
Scott

Boatmaster
03-07-2002, 07:11 AM
HCB26 I am Hulshots Buddy with the houseboat
on shasta we need to hookup when you come to
the lake. The older guy with the red Daytona
could be one of five based out of Shasta
Marina on the Sacramento arm. On a good
weekend there are anywhere for 8 to 15 daytonas in the marina. I have a red 21 with
twin 2.5Mercs. E-mail Hulshot or myself before your next trip!
Drewandlisa@att.net
P.S. Lake is only 20ft down now and should be full by May!!!

hcb26
03-07-2002, 07:31 AM
Hey Boatmaster, I dont think we are going to make it to shasta this year, we just bought a House in Havasu thats getting built, its taking every last dime to get it going so most are boating will be in Havasu this year, im kinda upset about the whole thing I love Shasta,the lake is awsome. I t is a long tow for us down here,in So. Cal. but well worth the haul. Last year we didnt take the cat only my 21ft Howard v-drive and my parents Chaperal deckboat, its funny I got spanked by that 22 daytona running NOS, in my 21, i have a 468 w/a little 174 blower, runs about 75mph, that boat is pretty quick I was begging for my cat at the time oh well it was fun!!

hulshot
03-08-2002, 07:19 PM
fastcat what kind of boat and weight are these drives pushing and what size are the gears and props? any info helps so I can make the best choice of what to build or buy.

hulshot
03-08-2002, 07:21 PM
botmaster any luck on the drive? are we still on for monday on the delta?

hulshot
03-08-2002, 07:32 PM
hey are XR cases different than regular bravo cases? If not why can't I, if I chose to, put the XR gears in my case and call it good, or if imco or Teague make a stronger XR gear set why couldn't I put those in?

Boatmaster
03-09-2002, 07:55 AM
As long as it is'nt raining on monday we're
still on. I thought you might be sick of dealing with that outboard smoke by now!
If it rains we can still drink beer at my place and start regearing my lower units, but
I would much rather put that off and sit on the beach.
See Ya Sunday

hulshot
03-09-2002, 09:06 PM
boatmaster I'll never get sick of boating. Outboards are great, I would go out in any boat reguardless of power I just like the thunder of 1000 ponies behind me rather than a 2 stroke reving to the moon. Boating with good friends is the best reguardless. Drink beer??? hhmmm tough question you might have to twist my arm some.

anthony
03-09-2002, 09:22 PM
hulshot, get off the computer and get your ass in the garage ,where you belong .put that boat back together and let's go float! TUNNEL T

SVO 540
03-10-2002, 10:20 PM
Hulshot, your drive will not last. If it is a 1.36, then it doesn't have straight cut gears. The XR has straight cut gears and can handle lots of power. I have had no problem with mine and you have the same power as I do. Do yourself a favor and sell your drive as is and buy an XR. I recommend buying an XR from IMCO as they beef it up and blueprint it even more than a stock XR. I have no experience with a B-max so I can't give you advise here. I can only tell you that my IMCO XR has been awesome.

DMB
03-11-2002, 10:03 AM
You can change the gears from 1.36 to the 1.50 straight cut XRs in the bravo one they make a conversion kit and machine it in, it sounds like you already have alot of good upgrades from teauge in your drive already,talk to teauge and see what they did to your bravo,they also will probably be able to do the gear upgrade for you.
The 1.50 gears are also stronger due to having less teeth = more meat to each tooth.
Dean Clausen is the person I delt with at the bravo shop,but you might want to think about changing the gears and sticking with your presant drive,that is the exact drive combo that MR Pump and Steve were running at the drags, although they did change the gears on the lower end to end up with a 1.25 like SVO 540.
[This message has been edited by DMB (edited March 11, 2002).]

hulshot
03-12-2002, 07:01 PM
DMB if I change my uppers to straight cut gears with a 1.50:1 ratio I can have the bottom gears changed to get my final ratio at 1.25:1????

Charley
03-13-2002, 08:39 AM
Hulshot, just to throw more info your way, I've got 50 hrs on my drive (knocking on wood as I type) and I'm running 850 HP thru a stock merc XR w/ 1.50 gears.... spinning a lab 32.... DCB mach26... I think we have all heard B max's had shifting problems, but maybe thats not an issue anymore.....Imco+ Teague might be a good way to go if you plan on playing with gear changes....just my .02

DMB
03-13-2002, 08:42 AM
Yes you can.

DMB
03-13-2002, 09:51 AM
The B max I have on my boat now Shifts better than my Bravo one did.
charley your right I also ran about 750 HP thru a stock with 1.50 gears.

MrHavasuCat
03-13-2002, 12:16 PM
I am running a Teague XR and was running 1.50's. I changed the foot gears and now have a drive ratio of 1.35, so the answer is yes you can change the foot gears and obtain a different ratio.

RUN2RIVER
03-14-2002, 11:33 PM
In my personal opinion the B-Max is the best solution for high horsepower with the exception of the Wiseman Drive or the #6. I have a cat with 918 dynoed H.P. and I have run my B-Max for one complete season with no problems at all. Any drive will break under the Wrong conditions. Don't shift into gear at the up swing of the RPM lobe, Back off of the throttle if you fly the boat, etc. I looked into both the Wiseman and the #6 but both need external transmissions. I am not familiar with the new Imco drive, but from what I hear it will compete with the B-max. I guess the point is that any drive will break under the wrong situations, but if you have decent power and don't want to break bravos give the b-max a shot. Break 2 bravos and you have already paid for it

MrHavasuCat
03-15-2002, 08:33 AM
I have one season on my xr, and I know of people running up to 1200 hp with them without breaking. I think the way you drive the boat, and boat weight have a lot to do with how long the drive will last. I know of one person that was running 1000 hp in a 25' cat with a stock bravo (non xr) and did not break it, and I have also heard of people breaking bravo's with hp 500's. So driver error has a lot to do with it.

hulshot
03-15-2002, 10:32 PM
mrhavasuecat, can I make my Teague platimum 1:36 drive to an XR syle 1.25 ratio so that I can run a 28 pitch prop?

MrHavasuCat
03-18-2002, 12:46 PM
I believe so...I think they can change the upper gears to xr's and then change the foot gears to get your desired ratio. I think they offer 1.50, 1.35, and 1.25 as final ratios on the platinum xr's. Give them a call and find out.

hulshot
03-18-2002, 06:20 PM
I called imco today and found out some stuff. First yu can install the 1.50:1 ratio gear set into the bravo upper with some machine work, but they claim the upper wont be as strong as it could be because of some side load that the gears put on the case. Next for them to install this kit into my drive it will cost about 3500.00 or so(wow). now I could do it right and replace the upper with a new XR complete for a mere 4295.00 or I can buy one of imco's uppers for 5722 with the bullet proof case and some extra do dads. Finally I could buy a complete imco drive for 8900.00. I forgot, what does boat stands for?? oh yea Bust Out Another Thousand. Anyone got a used XR drive that they want to unload.

MrHavasuCat
03-19-2002, 02:23 PM
I think you can get a Teague xr for 7k and some change.

hulshot
03-20-2002, 10:48 PM
MRHC is this used or new? I found some used complete B-Maxs for 6500 with 1.30 gears. This is getting frustrating. Wonder what dealer cost is on a XR upper and complete drives??? This is all imco uses in there drives is xr internals and then they put a different case on it.
One would think that all the years and money Mercury has invested on R/D that they should have been able to have built the strongest drive they could design. Apparently they did not get somthing right because other manufacturers seem to have better, stronger stuff. Why is that? and is it actually that much better if at all.

Boatmaster
03-21-2002, 07:06 AM
Boat means BEND OVER AND TAKEIT! Mercs got the strongest drive its called a #6. From the factory merc only uses Bravos up to the 575 and has very few problems.
Now bent over!

MrHavasuCat
03-21-2002, 10:02 AM
I believe you can buy a new Teague XR drive from them for 7k and some change. I saw the price somewhere, but I don't remember. I, along with several other people I know have had good luck with the XR drive, but you can't really compare it to a # 6 drive. You have to consider the weight, and having to run a transmission with the # 6 drive (not to mention the cost). I have heard both good and bad about the B Max so I really don't know much about them. They had just come out when my boat was being rigged and I did not feel comfortable buying one at the time with so much unknown. I would call Teague and talk to them.
[This message has been edited by MrHavasuCat (edited March 21, 2002).]

hulshot
03-21-2002, 07:14 PM
hey boatmaster, when are you going to find out about the XR for me?? Are we going to get back on the water soon? I'll just be a passenger for now. I promise Ill be a good boat Bi-ach. If I only had 575 hp then I couldnt play with the big boys like you hehehehe, that would be no fun to be out run by a twin, what do you call those things that smoke and hang off the back of the boat, you know those big black things that make that buzzing noise constantly. JK let me know when we can go play and also about the drive.

RUN2RIVER
03-21-2002, 10:38 PM
From personal experience, the B-Max is an awesome drive. The only downside to it is that it pukes drive oil back into the drive oil tank. It has never overflowed luckily, but it does put a significant amount of oil in the tank. The #6 drive is an awesome drive, however the price is the big determining factor. Roughly 35k for drive and gimbal hurts. Not to mention the new tranny and pushing the engine forward. However, the best drive out is the Wiseman drive. That sucker is sweet!!! There is no vertical shaft! It is a bunch of cogs and sprockets instad of the shaft. So far (as of 1 month ago) there hasn't been one that has broken and their test boat has a pair of all aluminum 700 cid engines with insane amounts of power. They won't say how much but they do say that it is 1500 each. They have tried to break the drives and they have been unsuccessful. Wiseman was the one who designed the dry sump system for the #6. They know what they are doing. However they are more pricy than the #6. I looked into it and by the time you get done with everything you are looking about $42k. OUTCH. That gives new meaning to the Break Out Another Thousand (boat) term. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif