PDA

View Full Version : Engine Trouble

piper
06-12-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm looking for a good place that can work on my engine? I need to get the head gaskets replaced on a Chevy 454 V8. I'm looking for a place in or near San Gabriel valley where I can drop of the boat and they can do the work. I would do it but I work way to many hours during the week to have time to even take my boat out. I will make time to take it to the shop though.

BigBlockBaja
06-12-2005, 01:47 PM
I would do it but I work way to many hours during the week to have time to even take my boat out. I will make time to take it to the shop though.
WHAT?? Make time to replace the head gaskets then....

piper
06-12-2005, 01:56 PM
It's hard, I'm usually at work 7 days a week for one thing or another. I took some time off to change the oil out today and was surprised with a milk shake.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-12-2005, 01:59 PM
It only takes a couple hours max, (and a 12-pack of beer). :cool:
Besides, self-done lets you be certain they were done right, torques and all.
Don't forget Silicone sealant on ALL the head bolts, they all go into the water jacket (well, at least the long ones do). :idea:

SmokinLowriderSS
06-12-2005, 02:02 PM
I know waht ya mean about lack of time. I got 3 days off from 1October to 31 January this past winter, and rebulilt my 6.9L diesel engine in the process, then rebuilt my 454, timing chain, up-cammed her, rod-bolts, intake, air cleaner, steering, All 3 of those days were holidays and MOST of them were 10-hr days (and I commute an hour).

piper
06-12-2005, 02:03 PM
You guys are right I should do the work myself, but it would be nice to just have someone else deal with it. Looks I will have to shut the cell phone off next weekend.

BigBlockBaja
06-12-2005, 02:04 PM
when do you find time to go boating?

piper
06-12-2005, 02:05 PM
I know waht ya mean about lack of time. I got 3 days off from 1October to 31 January this past winter, and rebulilt my 6.9L diesel engine in the process, then rebuilt my 454, timing chain, up-cammed her, rod-bolts, intake, air cleaner, steering, All 3 of those days were holidays and MOST of them were 10-hr days (and I commute an hour).
That's what I dealing with right now. I'm working everyday plus overtime in the process. It's killing me slowly. It's been like this for almost three months. Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines!! That's all I here. Today I felt beat so I just turned the cell phone off. I know I 'm going to hear it tomorrow though.

piper
06-12-2005, 02:08 PM
when do you find time to go boating?
I don't. I haven't seen the lakes or rivers in almost a year. At first I thought is was cool becasue I could save some money and maybe do some mod's on the boat. Now it's just getting ridiculous.

BigBlockBaja
06-12-2005, 02:10 PM
makes me wonder.. the 2 most expensive states to live in CA and NJ.. which is worse?

piper
06-12-2005, 02:14 PM
It's a toss up between the two. California has bad drivers, expensive housing, and snotting people. The few times I was in N.J. I had a good time but then again I was drunk most of the time. :)

BigBlockBaja
06-12-2005, 02:22 PM
The few times I was in N.J. I had a good time but then again I was drunk most of the time. :)
Where at?

cave
06-12-2005, 02:45 PM
piper, I did that work all the time deal for 5 years. Most of the days were 14 hr days. After loosing touch with all my friends I finally decided to quit that crap and get a job that pays a little less and alows time for living. Your only here for a short time so make the best of it! Took me 5 years to figure that out. Take a day and enjoy it. Use that Boat! Money is great but not if you cant enjoy it. :rollside:

piper
06-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Where at?
I remember going to Atlantic city for conventions then I would hang out with the local's and we would end up drunk somewhere else.

piper
06-12-2005, 02:55 PM
piper, I did that work all the time deal for 5 years. Most of the days were 14 hr days. After loosing touch with all my friends I finally decided to quit that crap and get a job that pays a little less and alows time for living. Your only here for a short time so make the best of it! Took me 5 years to figure that out. Take a day and enjoy it. Use that Boat! Money is great but not if you cant enjoy it. :rollside:
Funny thing is I got laid off from my last job where I was working the same type of deal, and I took two months off. It was great!! Now I got this new job a year ago. About 2 months into it I was back to working a crazy amount of hours in a week but for more money. I have lost touch with a few friends though. I was calling a few to see if they would come over and help me with the engine trouble but they have their things to do. That's why I gave up and thought to send the boat out for a few days to get the job done.

76elimspecial
06-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Funny thing is I got laid off from my last job where I was working the same type of deal, and I took two months off. It was great!! Now I got this new job a year ago. About 2 months into it I was back to working a crazy amount of hours in a week but for more money. I have lost touch with a few friends though. I was calling a few to see if they would come over and help me with the engine trouble but they have their things to do. That's why I gave up and thought to send the boat out for a few days to get the job done.
LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE CLOSE TO EL MONTE. THERE IS A GREAT SHOP OFF VALLEY. ITS CALLED B&D MARINE. GIVE THEM A CALL. GOOD HONEST SHOP. LOTS OF JET BOAT EXPERIENCE.

BlownHowardCat
06-12-2005, 08:20 PM
If you decide to do it yourself I'll give ya a hand. Rosemead is just a few exits away from me.

kingjason
06-12-2005, 08:30 PM
You sure its the head gaskets. I was sure it was and took the whole thing apart only to relize my intake gaskets were leaking. They are usually the culprit. Have you done any compression testing.
J

piper
06-13-2005, 03:46 PM
You sure its the head gaskets. I was sure it was and took the whole thing apart only to relize my intake gaskets were leaking. They are usually the culprit. Have you done any compression testing.
J
Thanks for that idea. I never thought of that. I'll check that first, since it is on top and easier to get to.

kingjason
06-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Yes I learned that from the gurus on here. My head gaskets looked great and my intake looked like it was leaking everywhere after I relized what I was looking for.
J

piper
06-13-2005, 07:39 PM
I hope it's just that. I've been itching to take the boat out, but work has been keeping me busy. Sure would of been bad to blown the motor on the lake becasue I didn't check it out before.