PDA

View Full Version : Flare thread

Tom Brown
06-13-2005, 08:53 AM
A buddy has stripped out the threads on a brake caliper. It's a flare fitting so I don't see how we can put a heli-coil in there properly.
Is there a way to fix this thread without buying a new caliper? A new caliper is $450 so we could pay a couple of hours labor to a machine shop and still come out sweet.
Any ideas?

CrazyHippy
06-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Dont cut corners on the brakes. It's not worth it.
BJH :frown:

HCS
06-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Depending on the vehicle he should be able to pick up an aftermarket caliper for a hell of alot less than 450 smacks.
Try Napa.

roostwear
06-13-2005, 11:03 AM
I assume the "flare fitting" you are talking about is what's called an inverted flare. Typically has a double flared tube, and the mating flare is a female. One option is to drill and tap for a 1/8" npt (do Canadians use SAE? I don't know), and get a NPT to inverted flare adapter. Simple.......

Biglue
06-13-2005, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't **** around w/ brakes like that.

roostwear
06-13-2005, 11:07 AM
That adapter is hardly Fing around. Racing calipers were made this way for years.

Tom Brown
06-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks, guys. :cool:
Try Napa.
I think they only have those in the south.

Biglue
06-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks, guys. :cool:
I think they only have those in the south.
Tom what car is this for?

Tom Brown
06-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Tom what car is this for?
1990 Nissan 300ZX.

GHTRIM
06-13-2005, 11:23 AM
This is easy... Don't use the brakes just down shift.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lucky
06-13-2005, 11:27 AM
I say a lil canadian humor - it's dry , and sticks with ya :D

HCS
06-13-2005, 11:29 AM
1990 Nissan 300ZX.
Too bad your not closer. I'd set ya up. :idea:

Biglue
06-13-2005, 11:40 AM
1990 Nissan 300ZX.
Have you tried a salvage yard? If you were closer I could prolly hook you up. How fast does your buddy need it?

Tom Brown
06-13-2005, 11:51 AM
How fast does your buddy need it?
I think he wants to be back on the road ASAP but I'm not sure.
I really appreciate the advice in this thread. There are some great ideas.
I spoke with him and he hasn't called all of the jobbers yet, so he will start there and see what he's up against, cost wise.
If we can't find a jobber part or the cost is crazy, I like the NPT thread idea. I hadn't thought of that... I was fixated on the inverted flare in the bottom of that fitting and wondering how I could replicate it.
Rio, JB Weld and block putty work good and I have no doubt it would be effective and safe because the threads have pretty light damage and what is there still hold the flare fitting pretty well. It seems quicker easier to cut NPT threads in the soft aluminum and then use an adapter but I will keep the epoxy idea in the back of my mind in case it comes to that.
Thank you, everyone. :)

Tom Brown
06-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Have you tried a salvage yard?
Yes. We could only find one in Western Canada (a wrecker in Edmonton) and the guy is not sure if he is going to part the car out, or not.

Biglue
06-13-2005, 11:55 AM
I think he wants to be back on the road ASAP but I'm not sure.
I really appreciate the advice in this thread. There are some great ideas.
I spoke with him and he hasn't called all of the jobbers yet, so he will start there and see what he's up against, cost wise.
If we can't find a jobber part or the cost is crazy, I like the NPT thread idea. I hadn't thought of that... I was fixated on the inverted flare in the bottom of that fitting and wondering how I could replicate it.
Rio, JB Weld and block putty works good and I have no doubt it would be effective and safe because the threads have pretty light damage and what is there still holds the flare fitting pretty well. It seems quicker easier to cut NPT threads in the soft aluminum and then use an adapter but I will keep the epoxy idea in the back of my mind in case it comes to that.
Thank you, everyone. :)
I have a buddy who works at a wholeseller outfit for undercar parts. Getting it from him would be inexpensive but it wold take about a week before I can get you the parts. I'm Cali.

Tom Brown
06-13-2005, 11:57 AM
I'm Cali.
I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada. :D
I really appreciate the help and advice, Lue. He is calling jobbers right now and we'll see if we can dig one up. Somebody has to have one we can buy locally for less than $450.

Biglue
06-13-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada. :D
I really appreciate the help and advice, Lue. He is calling jobbers right now and we'll see if we can dig one up. Somebody has to have one we can buy locally for less than $450.
10-4.

ROZ
06-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Rio, JB Weld and block putty work good and I have no doubt it would be effective and safe because the threads have pretty light damage and what is there still hold the flare fitting pretty well. It seems quicker easier to cut NPT threads in the soft aluminum and then use an adapter but I will keep the epoxy idea in the back of my mind in case it comes to that.
Surprised you just didn't masterbate on it and stick it back together :confused: :D

Tom Brown
06-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Surprised you just didn't masterbate on it and stick it back together :confused: :D
I didn't find the inverse flare particularly pleasing.

CrazyHippy
06-13-2005, 12:59 PM
The NPT adapter idea is a good one if needed.
BJH