PDA

View Full Version : question for wake boarders.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-13-2005, 08:59 AM
we are going to try and teach our kids how to wake board this year and wanted to know if any of you found an easier way to show them while still being safe in the water. The way I was tought I am not to thrilled about because of safety issues with other boats around. how did you show your kids. :wink:

CrazyHippy
06-13-2005, 09:31 AM
get to the right speed and throw them over :D they'll learn :D :devil:
Actually i've always done it from in the water. it's easier w/ another boat hanging around, so when the kid pops up, you have a place to go, and aren't sitting around.
BJH

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-13-2005, 09:48 AM
get to the right speed and throw them over :D they'll learn :D :devil:
Actually i've always done it from in the water. it's easier w/ another boat hanging around, so when the kid pops up, you have a place to go, and aren't sitting around.
BJH
LMAO!! throw them over..
that is an idea I like the other boat around idea. thank you. :p

cole13
06-13-2005, 09:48 AM
How old are they? You can teach them just like you teach an adult. Just go slower. in the beginning just idle and let them get the feel for the board. Then slowly bring the boat up to speed. It really truly comes down to the driver, when teaching. There is no need to get in the water with them and hold the board. It can be done with out doing that.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-13-2005, 09:55 AM
How old are they? You can teach them just like you teach an adult. Just go slower. in the beginning just idle and let them get the feel for the board. Then slowly bring the boat up to speed. It really truly comes down to the driver, when teaching. There is no need to get in the water with them and hold the board. It can be done with out doing that.
my girl is 10 and my boy is 11. my girl I don't think will have a problem. it's our son I worry about. I don't think he will be able to pull himself out of the water . he is a little heavy and we are working on that. :shift:

cole13
06-13-2005, 10:06 AM
The best way to describe it for me, is to tell them that once the boat starts moving sit on your ankles. THis should pop them right up and then all they have to do is find the balance and stand up. They will most likely be going sideways at this point. But that does not matter, get them to just stand up on the board for few seconds, then work on everything else latter. Do they waterski? Also, it has nothing to do with weight, the board that they are using should support an adult so why not a kid. I have also found in teaching someone to board, Do not yell, or give to many directions, they just get confused then give up. Make it fun, by saying you almost had that one etc..
Just my opinion!
P.S. The driver has to roll the throttle very slowly. It is not like pulling up an adult. If we ever meet at the river, I will give a shot to teaching. I have yet to have a failure. And yes I take pride in that! hahaha

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-13-2005, 10:12 AM
The best way to describe it for me, is to tell them that once the boat starts moving sit on your ankles. THis should pop them right up and then all they have to do is find the balance and stand up. They will most likely be going sideways at this point. But that does not matter, get them to just stand up on the board for few seconds, then work on everything else latter. Do they waterski? Also, it has nothing to do with weight, the board that they are using should support an adult so why not a kid. I have also found in teaching someone to board, Do not yell, or give to many directions, they just get confused then give up. Make it fun, by saying you almost had that one etc..
Just my opinion!
P.S. The driver has to roll the throttle very slowly. It is not like pulling up an adult. If we ever meet at the river, I will give a shot to teaching. I have yet to have a failure. And yes I take pride in that! hahaha
wow great pointers.. thank you.. and no the kids have never waterskied . just tubed a few times.. I am a skier but I have never tought anyone how to ski. I just remember my dad throwing me in the water with one ski and popping out of the water. it was natural for me I guess.
I will keep all the poiters in mind . thank you very much. :D

XTRM22
06-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Everybody is giving you good pointers, it'll be easier for them to learn behind you wakeboarding boat since the tower (or pole) naturally is pulling you up besides forward. If you bring the wake boat here to Havasu I'll gladdly be the second boat and help coach, particularly for a couple rides behind the boat on my wakeboard! :)
Chuck

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Everybody is giving you good pointers, it'll be easier for them to learn behind you wakeboarding boat since the tower (or pole) naturally is pulling you up besides forward. If you bring the wake boat here to Havasu I'll gladdly be the second boat and help coach, particularly for a couple rides behind the boat on my wakeboard! :)
Chuck
you got it. and thanks. :p

mbrown2
06-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Go call Mike Mac's in Parker and get them lessons...I don't think he has a shop anymore, but I thought you could still do lessons....I would definitely go the professional instructor route...
When I learned how to ski when I was 7...somebody unprofessional sat in the water with me for over 30min....and I was pretty athletic...the trainers already know of the tricks and they get the children familiar with all of the safety, gear, how to put it on take it off...kind of like classroom before you get in the boat...

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Go call Mike Mac's in Parker and get them lessons...I don't think he has a shop anymore, but I thought you could still do lessons....I would definitely go the professional instructor route...
When I learned how to ski when I was 7...somebody unprofessional sat in the water with me for over 30min....and I was pretty athletic...the trainers already know of the tricks and they get the children familiar with all of the safety, gear, how to put it on take it off...kind of like classroom before you get in the boat...
thank you honey. I get nervous when they are in the water. :D
over protective I guess. :rollside:

Troubles No More
06-13-2005, 11:51 AM
See if you can install a training boom for ease of learning. This should fit on your new ski boat.
This is a great way to teach your kids ( or adults) to ski or wakeboard.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1121clip_image001.jpg
The boom consists of a long, metal pole extending from the center of the boat (usually connected to the ski pylon in inboard ski boats) over the water opposite the boat driver. Wires also extend from the tip of the pole to the bow of the craft for added reinforcement.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-13-2005, 12:05 PM
See if you can install a training boom for ease of learning. This should fit on your new ski boat.
This is a great way to teach your kids ( or adults) to ski or wakeboard.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1121clip_image001.jpg
The boom consists of a long, metal pole extending from the center of the boat (usually connected to the ski pylon in inboard ski boats) over the water opposite the boat driver. Wires also extend from the tip of the pole to the bow of the craft for added reinforcement.
wow that's cool. thank you. I will look into that also.. thank you again.. :D

Goodtime$
06-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Ill be in havi over the weekend from thurs to sunday in a cat, but i own a wakeboard boat and ride abunch during the weekdays, if you run into a jam...feel free to call my cell ask for Todd 949 466 9844, i own a V215 so a V230 is a cake walk to drive, nice and easy all the way up throttle, never faster than 20mph, and having an instructor in the water is the best way....
dont be shy, im game to help, wakeboarding is fun

Goodtime$
06-13-2005, 02:01 PM
ohh duh try a dry land practice session..have your son sit in the board, butt down on the sand and legs bent in the air...than have him grab a handle, and pull him up..make sure his legs are always bent, his arms straight ahead and his head never comes ahead of the board....the boat will always pull u up, trust me this technique works everytime....
once they master that, than fire the boat up and its shred time

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Ill be in havi over the weekend from thurs to sunday in a cat, but i own a wakeboard boat and ride abunch during the weekdays, if you run into a jam...feel free to call my cell ask for Todd 949 466 9844, i own a V215 so a V230 is a cake walk to drive, nice and easy all the way up throttle, never faster than 20mph, and having an instructor in the water is the best way....
dont be shy, im game to help, wakeboarding is fun
thank you very much. :smile:

Mighty Thor
06-15-2005, 01:06 PM
As long as everyone is giving info, I would like some tips or suggestions that you can do as the driver of the boat to help the new skier learn

cole13
06-15-2005, 01:14 PM
As long as everyone is giving info, I would like some tips or suggestions that you can do as the driver of the boat to help the new skier learn
When they say hit, floor the boat as fast it will go! hahaha. I think it really depends on the age, and ability of the person you are pulling. You can usually tell after a couple of tries if they are going to get it or if you have to change something. I have always had the mind set that it is the drivers responsibility to pull them up. I watch closley and adapt the boat to match them. For example, if they are trying a single ski and are not putting thier foot into the back boot, then the ski tends to go left or right. So to make a little adjustment in the boat is easy, if the skier is going to the right all the time, take off just a tad to the left. I know it seems stupid but it does help.
What problems are you having? Best thing I can tell anyone is to be SUPER SMOOTH with throttle movements as well as steering. remember they are scared and nervous. it is your job to calm them, and driving crazy is not going to help.

Flip
06-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Just my opinion!
I'm going to agree with cole13 and Goodtime$ here and include my own ideas.
First, before you even go to the lake, have them sit on the floor (no board) on their butt like they would be in the water. Knees bent. Stand in front, stick your arm out straight and have them grab it with both hands, arms straight. At this point, your arm is the rope and they're waiting to be pulled up. Start walking backwards pulling them up. Here's where you starting looking for and correcting form. They should:
1. DON'T PULL ON THE ROPE! If you do, you're trying to hard and will cause yourself problems.
2. Dig your heels in. On the floor it will keep you sliding, but more importantly in the water it will keep the board's leading lip above the water and keep you from doing the big submarine and face plant.
3. DON'T PULL ON THE ROPE! Let your butt slide up to your heels.
4. DON'T PULL ON THE ROPE! Let the rope rock you on your heels on to your feet in a squatting position (sitting on your heels). You're now up and going across the lake. You can ride in this position all day if you want.
5. Put your weight on your REAR foot and turn your forward hip towards the boat. So, if you're left foot foward, put your weight on your right foot and turn your left hip towards the boat.
Practice that at home and they won't be so freaked out in the water because they'll know what to kinda expect to do.
As stated before the learning experiance is all in driver. Wakeboarding is not skiing. There's NEVER a need to YANK someone (particularly kids) out of the water. Nice easy pulls and patience patience patience. My favorite phrase is "Don't worry about it, keep trying, we've got ALL DAY." Most people get flustered because they feel like they're holding people up.
It also really helps if the driver knows how to wakeboard. This way they know what they expect out of being pulled up, then they'll be able to pull someone else up properly.
For anyone without a tower or pole, no worries. It can be done. It's just easier with a pole or tower and you can catch more air.
Anyways, I've had real good luck doing it this way. Like cole13, I haven't had one person come out with us who has gone home without wakeboarding. And yes, I take pride in that too. :D

OutCole'd
06-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Does anyone in Havasu have a school on teaching this to kids?

Goodtime$
06-16-2005, 07:11 AM
Look for me in this boat in havi this weekend, im leaving this morning...id gladly help anyone that wants to shred behind the boat, give me an hour of power and your kids will be jumping the wake in no time.
Mrs.flyin vee....ill be on the water all weekend in this boat...if the water is crap, more than welcome to come down to big river where my wake boat is and we can do a afternoon just cruisin around wakeboarding....
feel free to call me anytime on fri/sat, find a cove and after an hour your kids will be all smiles....the boom is cool to learn, but i like starting with the rope and handle behind the boat, since you will always ride that way....
cheers
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/214224_trailer.jpg

Speedin' Ian
06-24-2005, 06:09 AM
I used to work at a ski school and have taught many people to ski and wakeboard, I'll be at Naci the weekend after the fourth (***boat deal), if you guys are there with your kids I'd be happy to help.

wanna B V
06-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Mrs, your best bet is to find some calm water mid week where nobody else is around.