PDA

View Full Version : first v-bottom boats with stepped hulls?

ECeptor
06-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Who were the first manufacturers of v-bottoms with stepped hulls? I'm not talking the obscure one-off stuff from wayyy back. It seems that somewhere between the 80's and the 00's the transition was made with the "mainstream" performance v-bottoms like Cigarette and Fountain.
So, anyone know who and when the trendsetters finally got it right?

RiverDave
06-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Well as you already know, they were introduced many moons ago on the sponsons of water planes etc... As far as the new generation though.. I think it was Donzi?
I'm not a super huge fan of step bottoms anyways ssoooo there ya go.
RD

Mandelon
06-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Ya see the new Cobra ad in the mag claiming they developed a v with sponsons.... :rolleyes:

Nord
06-13-2005, 01:02 PM
I heard Eliminator had a lot to do with it straight from the horses mouth!!!! But, they don't claim they invented it on V bottoms. I have a step hull and am happy :D :D :D :D :D :D

Deano
06-13-2005, 01:04 PM
I heard it was Regie Fountain

dicudmore
06-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Ya see the new Cobra ad in the mag claiming they developed a v with sponsons.... :rolleyes:
huh? Is that a tunnel that comes to a V in the front like the Hallett 260AC, the old Eliminator Edge (I think they called it that?) and or the 23/24' Cheetahs??

Mandelon
06-13-2005, 01:39 PM
huh? Is that a tunnel that comes to a V in the front like the Hallett 260AC, the old Eliminator Edge (I think they called it that?) and or the 23/24' Cheetahs??
Exactly, like the old Edge model..... :notam:

Biglue
06-13-2005, 01:39 PM
NO It's a cobra. :D

h2oski2fast
06-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I heard it was Regie Fountain
Fountain didn't start using step hulls till 1994. Advantage had a step on their 27' in 1991.

Nord
06-13-2005, 01:52 PM
So was it eliminator that??

bohica
06-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Steve Stepp - Velocity Powerboats was one of the first I believe.

Waldo
06-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Gayliner did during the first gay pride parade.

h2oski2fast
06-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Steve Stepp - Velocity Powerboats was one of the first I believe.
Steve has never been an advocate of the stepped hull design.
http://www.velocityboats.com/Safety.html

ECeptor
06-14-2005, 04:41 AM
So it was someone like Eliminator or Advantage in the 1991 range?
After everything I've read (testimonals and test data) I don't understand why any builder would build without a stepped bottom on a performance V.

Panic Button
06-14-2005, 05:01 AM
Wellcraft Nova was introduced with stepped hull in 1989. Power Quest, Black Thunder, Apache had a model with steps. Chris Craft has stepps dating back to the 1920's

ECeptor
06-14-2005, 06:13 AM
Wellcraft Nova was introduced with stepped hull in 1989.
What length of Nova?

Panic Button
06-14-2005, 06:21 AM
What length of Nova?
28' if I remember right

ChumpChange
06-14-2005, 06:22 AM
After everything I've read (testimonals and test data) I don't understand why any builder would build without a stepped bottom on a performance V.
Uh....Safety.....Handling.

Panic Button
06-14-2005, 06:42 AM
I think you meant "with"....

dicudmore
06-14-2005, 06:46 AM
I think you meant "with"....
thats what I wondered...

ECeptor
06-14-2005, 07:36 AM
No, I meant without. I think the performance difference (economy or speed...take your pick) is undeniable
I'll admit I have a fraction of the throttle time you guys have but most everything I've read shows there are a minority of boats with stepped hulls but those that do have good handling (especially when trimmed properly in the corners) and provide more speed with equal power.
We've had a thread on the safety issue before and there seemed to be a lot of happy, safe stepped hull owners out there.

dicudmore
06-14-2005, 07:39 AM
No, I meant without. I think the performance difference (economy or speed...take your pick) is undeniable
I'll admit I have a fraction of the throttle time you guys have but most everything I've read shows there are a minority of boats with stepped hulls but those that do have good handling (especially when trimmed properly in the corners) and provide more speed with equal power.
We've had a thread on the safety issue before and there seemed to be a lot of happy, safe stepped hull owners out there.
there are some nice stepped-bottom boats out there that run and ride well... I've driven a couple I liked.
I've heard of some that aren't so friendly also.
Dan <---- does not have a stepped hull :D

Eliminator 4 Life
06-14-2005, 07:43 AM
You are right its the edge :cool:

Eliminator 4 Life
06-14-2005, 07:44 AM
there are some nice stepped-bottom boats out there that run and ride well... I've driven a couple I liked.
I've heard of some that aren't so friendly also.
Dan <---- does not have a stepped hull :D
Not to brag or anything I got two steps in my 26 and that thing rides pretty damn nice and I have ridden in a few boats :rollside:

dirty old man
06-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Steve Stepp talked down the step bottom hulls for years. He finally relented but said it had to be done right. Not all of them were done right and there have been some "incidents". Naturally the reason they work all the time on float planes is that they always go in a straight line. Some aren't meant to bank into a tight turn trimmed correctly or not. If you want to see the latest innovation of the stepped bottom look at only two boats: The Phantoms out of Florida and the 40 Hallett out of California

dicudmore
06-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Not to brag or anything I got two steps in my 26 and that thing rides pretty damn nice and I have ridden in a few boats :rollside:
yeah I'm still waiting for my demo ride on that thing...
you have ridden in a few boats, esp. when you leave yours in T-town and just hop on anything with an open seat and a full cooler... Dan <--- maybe just jealous :D

Eliminator 4 Life
06-14-2005, 07:54 AM
yeah I'm still waiting for my demo ride on that thing...
you have ridden in a few boats, esp. when you leave yours in T-town and just hop on anything with an open seat and a full cooler... Dan <--- maybe just jealous :D
Damn Dan you got me all figured out :D :D it saves me a hour of driving and I dont have to drive 70 I can drive 80 plus. plus I dont want to have to buy 6 tires anytime soon :idea:

ECeptor
06-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Steve Stepp talked down the step bottom hulls for years. He finally relented but said it had to be done right. Not all of them were done right and there have been some "incidents". Naturally the reason they work all the time on float planes is that they always go in a straight line. Some aren't meant to bank into a tight turn trimmed correctly or not. If you want to see the latest innovation of the stepped bottom look at only two boats: The Phantoms out of Florida and the 40 Hallett out of California
Here's another to look at. Seems to be one of the more efficient v-bottom hulls out there. http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80029

scarabrick2
06-14-2005, 08:39 AM
I believe SCARAB was teh first. Larry Smith to be exact.

ECeptor
06-14-2005, 10:05 AM
I believe SCARAB was teh first. Larry Smith to be exact.
What year and model?

scarabrick2
06-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Not sure but I was told this a few yrs ago buy a guy who used to built/rig boats for Larry Smith. I believe it was in the early 80's? Not sure if it was a production boat as All of the Larry Smith Scarabs were petty much custom

h2oski2fast
06-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Well, I found this on Blackadar Marine Insurance website. It pretty much sums up when the step hull was designed;
This hull design is not new. In fact, it would seem the original idea was formulated by Rev. C.M. Ramus of Sussex, England in 1872. He reported to the Commission of the Admiralty that he discovered a way to make the speed of ships double, and published “Improved section drawing of a Stepped Hull” later that same year. And the records also indicate that the first patent was awarded to a 20’, 7-step boat named “PIONEER”, designed and built by William Henry Fauber in 1908. Several race boats used the stepped design in the early 1900’s. Military seaplanes also incorporated this design in the 1930’s and 1940’s.
If you want to see the latest innovation of the stepped bottom look at only two boats: The Phantoms out of Florida and the 40 Hallett out of California
I believe the most inovative have been the Formula Fast-Tec and the Outerlimits hulls.

Nord
06-14-2005, 11:41 AM
i'll try answer.com???

ECeptor
06-14-2005, 05:17 PM
The back page of the new F&P Boating mag is an Eliminator Eagle advertisement and they claim they have been doing step-vees for "nearly 15 years."