PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel vs. Gooseneck

Magic34
06-13-2005, 10:13 PM
What is the difference and which is better?

Jordy
06-14-2005, 07:19 AM
5th wheel requires the plate style hitch with the rails that will take up half of your bed. Gooseneck is a 2 5/16" ball that is mounted in the floor of your bed and typically either folds down or pops up and retracts when you're not using it. My personal preference would be the gooseneck as you don't have to deal with a big bulky heavy hitch when you're not using the trailer. Besides, even with a 5th wheel style RV, there are quite a few companies that make conversion kits to put a gooseneck style hitch on to them. It's just much easier to deal with the gooseneck.
Just my $.02. ;)

sigepmock
06-14-2005, 07:42 AM
I've heard rumors that some trailer manufactures will void your warranty if you use one of the fifthwheel to gooseneck adaptors....who knows? Something to think about is that you can get a sliding hitch in a fifth wheel and you can't in a goose neck. This is important if you're towing with a short bed truck, so you can slide the hitch back for tight manuvering and forward for cruising down the highway. Another thing is that I believe a gooseneck will allow for more articulation between the trailer and truck which is better if you pulling the trailer over rough terrain, ie offroad. I'm not much help on this one but I'll tell you this....all my family back in New Mexico that are Cattle ranchers all have goose neck trailers and if they buy one that is a fifth wheel they convert it right away.
Chris

Magic34
06-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Something to think about is that you can get a sliding hitch in a fifth wheel and you can't in a goose neck. This is important if you're towing with a short bed truck, so you can slide the hitch back
Chris
This no longer matters. :D
Thanks, the truck comes with a gooseneck, so I would have to order a WW with a gooseneck right? Are they easier to hook up to?

sigepmock
06-14-2005, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=Magic34]This no longer matters. :D
Very Nice....way to step up!!!!
Goose neck hitch on the trailer is a verticle sleeve type that slips over the ball on the truck and locks in place, where as a fifth wheel slides in place on a horizontal plane. Basically for a goose neck, you back the truck up so the ball is under the gooseneck, easy to do if you can see it throught the back window, then lower the trailer down on the ball. I don't know which is easier, both seem pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Call WW and talk to them about getting the trailer with the gooseneck. I don't know that I have seen a WW with a gooseneck but that doesn't mean it's not possible.
Good luck and congrats on the new ride. :D Hey did that new Magic come with a goose neck??? :D
Chris

Magic34
06-14-2005, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=Magic34] :D Hey did that new Magic come with a goose neck??? :D
Chris
No, but that would have been sweet!

sigepmock
06-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Well it's fricken big enough to have one :D :D

PHX ATC
06-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Gooseneck.
Even though I don't have one, all the rage in horsey trailers in gooseneck. Seems much simpler and easier if you ask me. Next horsey trailer (since a boat is toast for awhile...shut up Jordy :D ) will be a bling bling gooseneck.

Magic34
06-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Gooseneck.
Even though I don't have one, all the rage in horsey trailers in gooseneck. Seems much simpler and easier if you ask me. Next horsey trailer (since a boat is toast for awhile...shut up Jordy :D ) will be a bling bling gooseneck.
Well then, I'm set to pull horses then with the new truck, but I will promise you, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Magic34
06-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Gooseneck.
By the way, thank you. :wink: