PDA

View Full Version : x5 BMW or rx300 LEXUS Which one is better ?

ptboat
06-14-2005, 05:37 AM
I am looking at both car, Just want to know which one would you prefer and why ?
Thanks,
Alex.

MagicMtnDan
06-14-2005, 05:43 AM
Depends on what you want. They're both very good vehicles.
BMW will handle/perform better.
Lexus has a much higher quality interior (much more luxurious).
Lexus will have better build quality (slightly).
More user features inside the Lexus.
If it's about performance you may want the V8 the BMW is the only one offering that. And their X will out-handle the Lexus for sure.
Of course Lexus offers the vehicle in a hybrid version that has V-8 like power but it's more expensive than their 6-cylinder.
What are you looking for from this vehicle?

Lake Ape
06-14-2005, 05:51 AM
germans over japs any day (I'm talking autos here people!)

uvindex
06-14-2005, 05:55 AM
If having a vehicle shaped like an egg is important to you, then the RX is the way to go! (Lexus makes great vehicles, but the RX330 is about as egg-shaped as they come, so unless you're a hen/mom I recommend the X5 of the two choices you provided.) Happy shopping. :)

HOSS
06-14-2005, 05:55 AM
Yeah cause the German women have a shaving problem.

ptboat
06-14-2005, 06:04 AM
HOSS,
You are killing me :D
The Lexus only has a 2000 pound towing, BMW has a 5000 towing. I thought the BMW looks nicer from the inside and out. I am looking for looks and power also. BMW cost a little more, but that is only money. Just kidding.
When it come to engine, which is more dependable ? I mean which one would break down more ?
Thanks,
Alex.

Kilrtoy
06-14-2005, 06:06 AM
BMW,
the lex is a girlie car

HOSS
06-14-2005, 06:07 AM
The BMW dealership next door is great. I`ve talked to all the writers and they tell me if your gonna get a BMW lease it for 3. After the warranty you better make bread to pay for it.

ptboat
06-14-2005, 06:16 AM
HOSS,
Do you mean after the warranty, it cost me a boat and a house to get it fix ?
Kilrtoy,
Me no girlie, me want BMW, wife wants girlie car, wife do what me say wife do and wife will get BMW. :D

HOSS
06-14-2005, 06:17 AM
Yes, after warranty, and I don`t meen powertrain warranty either.

RP1
06-14-2005, 06:24 AM
BMW = higher end Luxury vehilce
Lexus = glorified Toyota in any of it's models. The resale on a BMW will be better as well. IMO
Bottom line... go with what will make you happy, as you are the one with the payments and enjoyment of owning it.
Aslo, I know the BMW warranty was a major factor in our purchase.

MagicMtnDan
06-14-2005, 06:35 AM
When it come to engine, which is more dependable ? I mean which one would break down more ?
Thanks,
Alex.
Lexus/Toyota make the highest quality cars (Honda is up there with them). Everyone else offers lesser quality to varying degrees.
As long as you have a warranty for German vehicles you'll be fine. Never ever buy a used German vehicle without a warranty for as long as you plan on owning the vehicle. :hammer2:

ptboat
06-14-2005, 06:46 AM
RP1 and Magic,
You all start to worry me about German car. I know that foreign car would cost more when it come to getting thing fix. But for owning a BMW that mean I have to give up on my boat just to have a German car, then one would have to think twice about this.
Thanks,
Alex.

MagicMtnDan
06-14-2005, 06:55 AM
RP1 and Magic,
You all start to worry me about German car. I know that foreign car would cost more when it come to getting thing fix. But for owning a BMW that mean I have to give up on my boat just to have a German car, then one would have to think twice about this.
Thanks,
Alex.
As long as you have a warranty you'll be fine. Are you planning on keeping it past warranty expiration?

RP1
06-14-2005, 06:56 AM
RP1 and Magic,
Thanks,
Alex.
The warranty is four/50,000 mi. on the BMW. If you have specfic questions about the BMW, I suggest contacting Ziggy here on the boards. He is a dealership owner for BMW and SAAB and is very helpful.
For me there was never an option to go with Lexus. But then again I have owned three BMW's and two Mercedes in the past, so I'm a lillte bias toward the German side. Don't get me wrong, I think Lexus is a nice car and makes a good product that anyone would/should be proud to own.

uvindex
06-14-2005, 07:07 AM
RP1 and Magic,
Thanks,
Alex.Pardon me for jumping in... BMW's are great cars, but they're not typically a first choice if you're "budget-minded" :) If you're concerned about dollars, you might want to consider the "total cost of ownership", which factors in insurance, maintenance costs, depreciation, and stuff like that. For example, according to www.edmunds.com, the Beemer's true cost of ownership is $0.83/mile while the Lexxie's true cost of ownership is $0.68/mile (you might get different numbers depending on your delivery zip code and the options on the vehicle.) I'm not trying to convince you to get the Lexus (great car, but it's a hen car that looks like an egg) just wanted to make sure you're aware of the higher cost of ownership of the X5. :)

RP1
06-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Pardon me for jumping in... BMW's are great cars, but they're not typically a first choice if you're "budget-minded" :) If you're concerned about dollars, you might want to consider the "total cost of ownership", which factors in insurance, maintenance costs, depreciation, and stuff like that. For example, according to www.edmunds.com, the Beemer's true cost of ownership is $0.83/mile while the Lexxie's true cost of ownership is $0.68/mile (you might get different numbers depending on your delivery zip code and the options on the vehicle.) I'm not trying to convince you to get the Lexus (great car, but it's a hen car that looks like an egg) just wanted to make sure you're aware of the higher cost of ownership of the X5. :)
I do agree with this. Our Beemer sits M-F and my wife drives her Lexus GS300 for a commuter car, which is a lot cheeper on maintanence and the other issues mentioned. The Lexus has around 100,000 miles on it and the only thing we have done in the past three years is have a sensor light fixed for a grand total of $140.00, can't beat that.
If having a boat or not factors into this... don't buy a vehicle that won't allow you to have toys also. A vehicle is just transportaion and the boat is all about fun.

$pit-laser
06-14-2005, 07:28 AM
I have a 2001 X5 with 4.4 V8 in it and love it. In fact I will probly never buy a different make vehicle for the cruiser again. I also bought both my kids Lexus IS300's and BMW's service blows Lexus's away.

hyevon
06-14-2005, 07:35 AM
We have an X5 and it's the biggest piece of S%&T that i have ever owned. IMO stay with the lexus.

scarabrick2
06-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Go look at the INFINITI !! Lots of power, great interior room and standard loads of standard features. The V-6 FX35 or the V-8 FX45 will haul ass and tow. My wife drove all three and the infiniti will drive better and beat all of them in standard comfort and drivability.

a catered life
06-14-2005, 08:47 AM
I have a 2001 X5 with 4.4 V8 in it and love it. In fact I will probly never buy a different make vehicle for the cruiser again. I also bought both my kids Lexus IS300's and BMW's service blows Lexus's away.
screw working do you want to adopt another child... :jawdrop: ........i cook and clean but i do want a 7 seris

ptboat
06-14-2005, 09:27 AM
a catered life,
go back in line, my name is up for the next child. :D

Ziggy
06-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Pardon me for jumping in... BMW's are great cars, but they're not typically a first choice if you're "budget-minded" :) If you're concerned about dollars, you might want to consider the "total cost of ownership", which factors in insurance, maintenance costs, depreciation, and stuff like that. For example, according to www.edmunds.com, the Beemer's true cost of ownership is $0.83/mile while the Lexxie's true cost of ownership is $0.68/mile (you might get different numbers depending on your delivery zip code and the options on the vehicle.) I'm not trying to convince you to get the Lexus (great car, but it's a hen car that looks like an egg) just wanted to make sure you're aware of the higher cost of ownership of the X5. :)
Interesting considering BMW's come with FREE maintenance for 4 yrs/50k miles....

uvindex
06-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Interesting considering BMW's come with FREE maintenance for 4 yrs/50k miles....If you think Edmund's is doing their calculations wrong, you should contact them! :) (I'm just the messenger. I love BMW's, and drool everytime I see a new 645.)

riverroyal
06-14-2005, 02:36 PM
ive had 2,not the suv,cars,,,lease it for 3 years through BMW america,everything is paid for 3 years.If you buy,the resale on the bmw will be higher,but after the warranty is up it will cost alot to fix...I had real bad luck with toyotas before,they are ok,but not as good as people believe,lexus is just a toyota

Ziggy
06-14-2005, 02:39 PM
If you think Edmund's is doing their calculations wrong, you should contact them! :) (I'm just the messenger. I love BMW's, and drool everytime I see a new 645.)
Wasn't pointing any guns at the messenger :p just find it interesting that some people still think its expensive to have a BMW---that Break My Wallet tag has been a hard objection to overcome for BMW, they're still focusing some of the ads in that direction especially since MBZ has dropped their N/C maintenance program

HBjet
06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Hands Down the Infiniti FX35 or FX45 with the Technology Package is the way to go. Nothing else compares IMO...
Bottom line, go with what you feel most comfortable with (MFG, looks, price, features)
HBjet

Ziggy
06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Bottom line, go with what you feel most comfortable with (MFG, looks, price, features)
HBjet
Same thing I always tell my customers.....Don't ask me to decide what you should buy, go with what makes you happy.Period. :rollside:

riverroyal
06-14-2005, 02:50 PM
my neighbor has,,,after 6 months of hearing that exhaust,I cant stand it

BarryMac
06-14-2005, 03:34 PM
X5 and talk to Ziggy, he's the BMW Pimp Master... :D :D :D

Tom Brown
06-14-2005, 03:38 PM
germans over japs any day (I'm talking autos here people!)
Japs over Germans any day. :)
By the way, I think the X5 is one of the ugliest vehicles on the road. I love the 3 series BMWs but that X5 is an eye sore and the 5 series never used to have the reliability of the 3 series. Maybe they've sorted those problems out.

ptboat
06-15-2005, 05:02 AM
Tom Brown,
That is what I thought also, who ever design the X5 must be sleeping on the job most of the time. For a BMW suv, that is one stupid looking design. I think most people bought the X5 is just for the LOGO. I think I am going to get a 1965 vet and buy a junk pickup truck for the winter.
Thanks,
Alex.

boxscore
06-15-2005, 06:23 AM
I've got a 2002 X-5 for sale. Wholesale book. Excellent condition.
andrewdavidian@yahoo.com

uvindex
06-15-2005, 07:10 AM
...who ever design the X5 must be sleeping on the job most of the time. For a BMW suv, that is one stupid looking design. I think most people bought the X5 is just for the LOGO.If that's how you felt about the X5, then why were you considering it in the first place? :confused:

cdog
06-15-2005, 07:24 AM
Here in orange county every stuck up house mom drives one of those bmw x5 wannabe suv's and the asians drive the lexus suv's....I call the the lexus one, gook wagons. Why not get a suv that actually has some power like a tahoe or expidition? Go to the the mall and watch what kind of people drive certian cars and ask yourself "Do I want to Be that Guy"?

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-15-2005, 07:53 AM
Hate to change things up in here but 3 days ago I bought my wife an Accura MDX. I thought it was a heap until she brought it home. I think it blows both the beemer and lexus away! I couldn't believe the power, handling , comfort, and quality. I would take a peak!