PDA

View Full Version : Walters to Martinez

hottrodder
06-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Need a little help from the lower colorado river crowd. I got a place in Blythe and for the last few seasons myself and hand full of other jets have been talking about trying to boat to Martinez. Twice we got as far as Walters. The first time the guy at the store at Walters scared us off. Sayed if we didn't know where we were going we'd get stuck. The second time we thanked him for his sage advice and motored on. We got stuck twice before turning around. So can one get from Walters to Martinez? And a better question is could we get back to Blythe same day?

Miss Perfect
06-14-2005, 12:27 PM
I have been from Martinez to just before Blythe. Between Martinez & Walters is very shallow in places. Doable, but be careful. The only advice I can give is make sure that Walters is open and take cash. You'll need to get gas and they don't take credit cards. :hammer2:

CandyA$$
06-14-2005, 12:44 PM
We have made it from Hidden shores all the way to Hippy Hole. Stopping to get gas in Walters.
You should find someone who is familar with the route and follow. I know that most of the time we were able to get past a shallow part by staying close to the sides, but not allways the case. So you cannot just gun it and expect to get there, you have to take it slow.
It is possible to go down and back in the same day, if you start early, but remember water level changes.

cole13
06-14-2005, 01:05 PM
OK I am going to answer this, but do not recommend doing it by yourself. One Take at least 10 gallons of fuel. Two, if you leave in the morning you are going to end up floating for about 20-25 miles. I float just to make sure I do not blow up the pump. It is way do-able in a long day. Once you get into the reserve you are golden. it is absolutley an amazing day. Go with a couple of boats and really make an entire day of it. If you are familiar with the upper Blythe area, cruzing in at sunset should be no problem.
If you really wanted to have fun, go down one day, camp then come back up in the morning.
Here is what I do it in, and it makes it no problem. The one of the left!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2527colemiller.JPG

stonehedge
06-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Good advice about extra gas, cash for gas and go with more than yourself. Its a fun ride, long but fun.
If you plan on doing it in one day leave super early and head back early and you will be fine.
We go down from blythe to walters on a regular basis, no worries, its the walters to martinez that is a bitch sometimes.
Just jets, leave the io's and egg beaters at home. And if its a med or big pig that is scary to. Plan on floating also, its a long haul.

votech
06-14-2005, 02:53 PM
there is a place around palo verde you can launch called ox bow, good cement ramp .it's just across and up from hippy hole.from there it's alot closer to walters don't worry about the bottom it's all sand.spent around 6-7 years on that part of river

hottrodder
06-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks all- I had heard it could be done in a long day but none of the guys that claim to have done it or know someone that has wants to go again. We've all been to Hippy Hole too. I Feel pretty confident about navigation from the diversion weir above Mayflower park to Walters. Maybe I can find someone from Martinez that would come up to Walters and show us the light?

votech
06-14-2005, 03:27 PM
been past walters thru wildlife habit( no ski zone) and well past the other side ,don't worry bring gas you can make easy. p.s. where you at in blythe? we got a trailer in hidden beaches

AZKC
06-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Sounds like an awsome trip :cool: my kind of boating :)

Lightning
06-14-2005, 03:36 PM
I have not done the run up to Walters, but have wanted to for some time. I just need to find someone who wants to run up there with me. That would be cool to run up to Walters and meet some peeps and then have them come down to Martinez. Spend the night at Martinez and head back in the morning.

hottrodder
06-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Votech- Just next door to you in River Oasis. Been there since before the remodel (95) and one of the few that came back. I heard Walters was about halfway. True?
Lightning- That's what I was thinking. It could be a good time. I don't know if the others would be up for camping or not but I'll ask. Do you think anyone else would come up with you?

Lightning
06-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Votech- Just next door to you in River Oasis. Been there since before the remodel (95) and one of the few that came back. I heard Walters was about halfway. True?
Lightning- That's what I was thinking. It could be a good time. I don't know if the others would be up for camping or not but I'll ask. Do you think anyone else would come up with you?
I'm sure I could get a couple of peeps. Eff the camping, just cruise down to Martinez and crash at my place.

TBONE1904
06-14-2005, 04:29 PM
damn this sounds like fun....I have been to Blythe and Martinez allot but honestly didnt think it was possible to get from one to the other. Ari you know I aint campin at Martinez I am crashin for sure!!!

votech
06-14-2005, 05:19 PM
hottrodder,i'd say it is couldn't say for 100% we have been in hidden beaches about 3 yrs before that we would just motel it . this is first summer with jet boat , so don't know about how much gas it would take in this boat.

djdtpr
06-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Votech what kind and color boat do you have?We stay at Mayflower and all hang out at the sand bar upriver.

votech
06-14-2005, 06:31 PM
it's a liteblue/darkblue cp19 single carb/bassetts.this is first summer with jet

djdtpr
06-14-2005, 06:43 PM
it's a liteblue/darkblue cp19 single carb/bassetts.this is first summer with jet
Ya we saw it there we were just up the sandbar from you guys over the memorial weekend.You were parked at the point of the sandbar if i remember.We were there in a blue and white blown gullwing and an orange and white gullwing.

votech
06-14-2005, 06:50 PM
yep i saw them all, very impressive boats! was there with my fam and buddys he got a silver/multi color eliminator sprint t/r .

votech
06-14-2005, 06:57 PM
is that your blue white cp, blower motor,tom papp racing on side? we saw all the same boats last labor day weekend also same spot

djdtpr
06-14-2005, 07:10 PM
No the Blue and white deal is a buddy of mine.If you were there last labor day then you saw my black placecraft with a blown motor in it.We all usually hang out there its pretty nice and usually dont have to worry about getting swamped.

Mandelon
06-14-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm sure I could get a couple of peeps. Eff the camping, just cruise down to Martinez and crash at my place.
"Shotgun!" :D

votech
06-14-2005, 07:20 PM
all black ? was it on fuel ? think i know witch one is one,we didn't have jet had a ski centurion bare foot warrior merc.

Bottle Fed
06-14-2005, 10:07 PM
I've been from Matinez to walters on my wave runner about 7 years ago. With the boat I have now theres no way I can do it. Its not known for its good gas mileage. It does get real shallow in places and you just have to be careful. I believe it is one of the most senic areas of the lower river area.

BarryMac
06-15-2005, 05:59 AM
I've been from Martinez to Walters in my Jet and I know that Brady Bunch and Grape Ape have been there in their new 23 Ultra Deck, like many have said, it gets shallow, you just really have to pay attention and be prepared to float a little bit, it's a pretty long haul... Have fun and be careful...

CandyA$$
06-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Dang that run was soooo much fun, Now you making me want to make that run. Ok I am going to get a few peeps together and do that run, maybe 4th of July weekend.
Oooh the fun that will take place.
LOL

Miss Perfect
06-15-2005, 08:18 AM
I've been from Matinez to walters on my wave runner about 7 years ago. With the boat I have now theres no way I can do it. Its not known for its good gas mileage. It does get real shallow in places and you just have to be careful. I believe it is one of the most senic areas of the lower river area.
Dang Jeff, I forgot about that trip. How ya been? :cool:

cole13
06-15-2005, 10:27 AM
What would be really cool, is getting together a bunch of people from the boards and making the run. I would be down for that! Anyone else?

CandyA$$
06-15-2005, 10:42 AM
All up for that.
Then we all get to learn the route for future reference.

cole13
06-15-2005, 10:47 AM
All up for that.
Then we all get to learn the route for future reference.
Actually everytime I have made the trip it changes. Sand Bars move ya know. From my experience the key is to cruise and know that you are going to have to float a lot. When the water is up later in the day we have made the entire trip back up river without stopping. But if you leave in the morning it is SHALLOW.

hottrodder
06-15-2005, 10:55 AM
The hard part would be nailing a date. I'm not gonna be out there the 4th. Going on one of those 3 day booze barges to Ensenada.
I can probably get about 4-5 other boats to go down. Any other dates besides the 4th strike someones fancy?

djdtpr
06-15-2005, 11:00 AM
all black ? was it on fuel ? think i know witch one is one,we didn't have jet had a ski centurion bare foot warrior merc.
It was black with different color browns in it.It pretty much stayed anchored all day cause we get to drinkin and throwing horse shoes and forget about the boats.

CandyA$$
06-15-2005, 11:00 AM
There are plenty of off weekends.
July 23 or Aug 6 or anything in there.
It allways seems interesting in the mornings cause the water being so low, that boats are beached. LOL I saw that once.
So are you trying to put this together to start from Blythe (where about?) and go down towards Martinez or a meet at Walters and go down to Martinez?

cole13
06-15-2005, 11:04 AM
The hard part would be nailing a date. I'm not gonna be out there the 4th. Going on one of those 3 day booze barges to Ensenada.
I can probably get about 4-5 other boats to go down. Any other dates besides the 4th strike someones fancy?
I can get two more boats (yellow miller in the pic and 20 ft Hallet, to carry our gas) plus mine. End of Aug, start of Sept. is perfect down there. We usually boat out there till late Oct. I am out of commission from now till the end of July. But After that it is game on for the rest of the year. Has anybody put something together like this before? I have not.

CandyA$$
06-15-2005, 02:19 PM
End of Aug would fall into memorial.
Beginning to Middle of Aug would take up room for no holidays from July 4th to memorial.
Never put something together. Pick an exact location to meet and date and time. Then ask who will be there. Then everyone meet up, someone can make a sign saying something about starting point for run to martinez at the location so that everyone knows they are with the right crowd and do not miss out.
Just something I picked up elsewhere.

hottrodder
06-15-2005, 03:16 PM
CandyA$$- We can probably do both. Myself, Cole and maybe Vortech would motor down to Walters from the Mayflower/Hidden Beaches area of Blythe and there we could meet up with others who just launched there or maybe came up from Martinez (Lightning, Grape Ape, Brady Bunch) and then continue down. I assume you meant Labor Day when referrring to Memorial. I'm thinking 8/6?
Cole- No I've never tried to put anything together. Can't you tell...

cole13
06-16-2005, 09:40 AM
CandyA$$- We can probably do both. Myself, Cole and maybe Vortech would motor down to Walters from the Mayflower/Hidden Beaches area of Blythe and there we could meet up with others who just launched there or maybe came up from Martinez (Lightning, Grape Ape, Brady Bunch) and then continue down. I assume you meant Labor Day when referrring to Memorial. I'm thinking 8/6?
Neither have I, but I would assume if people commit early enough and only a couple of boats show it would still be a good time.
I have one thing that is holding me from commiting fully at this point, but I know that you have to start this early or people can not plan. I would hate to get this going and then have to back out at the last minute.

Commander21
06-16-2005, 11:02 AM
OK I am going to answer this, but do not recommend doing it by yourself. One Take at least 10 gallons of fuel. Two, if you leave in the morning you are going to end up floating for about 20-25 miles. I float just to make sure I do not blow up the pump. It is way do-able in a long day. Once you get into the reserve you are golden. it is absolutley an amazing day. Go with a couple of boats and really make an entire day of it. If you are familiar with the upper Blythe area, cruzing in at sunset should be no problem.
If you really wanted to have fun, go down one day, camp then come back up in the morning.
Here is what I do it in, and it makes it no problem. The one of the left!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2527colemiller.JPG
Love your Cole. I have almost the same color scheme on my 88 Commander. Who did your upholsterrey work? Looks hot.

cole13
06-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Love your Cole. I have almost the same color scheme on my 88 Commander. Who did your upholsterrey work? Looks hot.
I H8 Golf, as well. At least that is what I say every Thursday when I tee off.
Post a picture of the commander. I bought the boat like this, so I am not sure who did it. As far as I know it is original gel, upholstry. The only thing not original is the motor and pump work I had done.

Commander21
06-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Cole,
I'll get you a picture ASAP

CandyA$$
06-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Funny, yes I ment Labor Day, my birthday weekend.
Anyways 8/6 seems to look good on my end. I will talk with a few peeps before I confirm. I know were going out sometime near then.
Sure we could meet up at Walters since we would be coming up from Martinez. So about what time are you looking at leaving your area and what time would you get to Walters? I will take a digital of my boat that way we all know what we are looking for.
Wooohooo fun times.

Commander21
06-16-2005, 04:32 PM
I H8 Golf, as well. At least that is what I say every Thursday when I tee off.
Post a picture of the commander. I bought the boat like this, so I am not sure who did it. As far as I know it is original gel, upholstry. The only thing not original is the motor and pump work I had done.
I cant seem to get pictures to upload. Pissin me off too...

cole13
06-16-2005, 05:06 PM
I cant seem to get pictures to upload. Pissin me off too...
have you been able to upload them to the ***boat image center? If so I will can help you from there.

CandyA$$
06-20-2005, 06:36 AM
Hey guys.
I have found out that I will be out there that weekend, but due to the type of fuel we cannot go up that far. I am really bummed. I will be at White beach, maybe stop off. I guess that is as far as we can go. I will try and convince to go up to Walters.
So have you figured a time for meeting up at Walters?

cole13
06-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Hey guys.
I have found out that I will be out there that weekend, but due to the type of fuel we cannot go up that far. I am really bummed. I will be at White beach, maybe stop off. I guess that is as far as we can go. I will try and convince to go up to Walters.
So have you figured a time for meeting up at Walters?
What do you mean type of fuel? I am still trying to see who would want to do this. I have a couple of calls into my buddies, and have not heard anything yet. After talking to my wifey, she said it sounds like a lot of fun. So we are looking at late Sepetember. if that is good for anyone else let me know. It would be a really great time.

CandyA$$
06-20-2005, 02:31 PM
We run VP fuel, they do not carry that at Walters.
Late Septemeber, I could go for something like that.
Just post it up and figure out time for meeting up at Walters.
By late Sept. I could probably convince my hubby to do 1 of 2 things. Buy a pontoon or run the boat on regular gas. Ha.
Waite late Sept. the water level will be really low and you may not be able to get through very well.? :(

BarryMac
06-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Mind if I butt in, are you all planning on a run from Martinez to Walters or vice versa? I know of a few people that would be up for a run from Martinez to Walters, sounds lie ti would be a great time...

hottrodder
06-20-2005, 04:30 PM
I was at a party Saturday night and I talked with some of the guys there about this trip on the 8/6 date. I've got 5 guys interested. Don't know yet how many of the other halfs would want to make the haul. It's looking like 3 boats anyway. Because of the distance I'd like to get to Martinez at a decent morning time so that we have some time to spend at Martinez. Maybe 11:00ish??
CandyA$$- Just your husband to keep his foot out of the gas. I run a turbo motor and it likes AV gas. But if I keep it out of boost or just 1-2 pounds I can run 91. May not be able to get 91 at Walters though. Typically on the water you get crap gas full of sediment and water. Filters and seperators mandatory.
Hey can anyone confirm that you can still get gas at Walters? Someone Saturday night said they remembered something about Walters having to remove their tanks awhile back and he didn't think they put them back in.

cole13
06-20-2005, 06:46 PM
We are having twins, so to commit that early may be tough and it is too early to tell if that is going to be a good time for us.
I do not know if they took the gas out of walters. We always just took gas cans with us. It is not that big of a deal to carry 20-30 gallons with you. It is not like you are throttle to hard.
To get there early you are going to have to leave at sun-up. From what I rememeber and from the AAA guide of the Colorado river. It is about 80 miles one way, from Mcentyre to Martinez.

CandyA$$
06-21-2005, 06:48 AM
I was at a party Saturday night and I talked with some of the guys there about this trip on the 8/6 date. I've got 5 guys interested. Don't know yet how many of the other halfs would want to make the haul. It's looking like 3 boats anyway. Because of the distance I'd like to get to Martinez at a decent morning time so that we have some time to spend at Martinez. Maybe 11:00ish??
CandyA$$- Just your husband to keep his foot out of the gas. I run a turbo motor and it likes AV gas. But if I keep it out of boost or just 1-2 pounds I can run 91. May not be able to get 91 at Walters though. Typically on the water you get crap gas full of sediment and water. Filters and seperators mandatory.
Hey can anyone confirm that you can still get gas at Walters? Someone Saturday night said they remembered something about Walters having to remove their tanks awhile back and he didn't think they put them back in.
Hey its not that, well I do not think it is.
The weekend of 8/6, We will have a boat full of peeps, we have a boat meant for 4 maybe 5 peeps and we will be traveling with kids, so we would end up with 4 adults and 3 to 4 kids, not going to be an easy ride up. We thought that we could put 2 or 3 kids on a tube and pull them behind us is the areas were we could do that. Still trying to figure it out.
Yes we could carry extra gas but do not really have alot of room.
We would be coming from Martinez going to Walters. So are you saying arriving at Walters at 11:00ish?

hottrodder
06-21-2005, 07:04 AM
CA$$- Ya. Walters around 11:00. Still trying to run to ground if there's gas there or not. I'd rather not carry fuel. I'm pretty sure my wife will come along so we'll be with younguns too. The other boats will be kidless or maybe a couple of teenagers.
Cole- Remember when I said the last time we got stuck twice. We'll that was in late September FYI. Mapquest puts Martinez Lake at 93 miles from Blythe and that's with a little back track up the AZ side of the 95. I bet on the water it's about 80 miles.
Any other takers???

cole13
06-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Cole- Remember when I said the last time we got stuck twice. We'll that was in late September FYI. Mapquest puts Martinez Lake at 93 miles from Blythe and that's with a little back track up the AZ side of the 95. I bet on the water it's about 80 miles.
Any other takers???
Yep I remember, But this year should be different. They are going to have to start letting more water out this year because of the big rains from last year. I am just going to watch the water flows. So no-one can go in the late Sep??? Or know wants to go then?

CandyA$$
06-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Ok Walters 11 am. I will try to push my crew (that would be about 5 or 6 boats) to go up to Walters. If not we will be at White beach, stop in.
Give heads up when you find out about the gas at Walters.
Nope I do not believe anyone wants to go in late Sept. due to the low water level. I know when we went last year for memorial we had a hard time getting up to pichacho because of all the sandbars.
You know I have never tried the ride from Walters to Blythe so I could not tell you how far that is.

CandyA$$
06-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Ok what happened to you all.