PDA

View Full Version : "Power Cruiser" discussion

CrazyHippy
06-16-2005, 02:11 PM
This has been discussed here and there before, but i want to have it all in one spot, and easy to refer to in the future.
What is the difference (in actuality, not theory) between all the cruisers?
Eliminator double steps
Hallett Vectors
Schiada's 20 and 21'
Spectra
Campbell
Connelly
Rush
DiMarco
Howard 19, 20 and 21
Any I missed (sorry)
I'm not overly concerned w/ the history behind them and who's is a splash of what etc, because im not buying new and supporting the slacker.
What runs the fastest on say 800HP? How about rough water? Build quality? Interior space? (2 buckets and a bench is fine) Anythign else that i should know?
Thanks
BJH

djunkie
06-16-2005, 02:21 PM
The Howards and schiadas are better than the rest of them. Oh I should catch some shit for this. :hammerhea :D

spectras only
06-16-2005, 03:06 PM
The only two boats that's comparable in hull/deck design are the 20.10 spectra and 21 Howard. . We're talking old school daycruisers here ? The spectra/howard would have sligthly more under the deck space compared to the others. The spectra is built like a sherman tank ,so it's great for rough water .The schiada has sligthly more deadrise but shallower entry at the stem. They're all great .The Howard Citation [25'] is identical to the spectra 24 [ 24'6" ] . Schiada 24 would be my pick of the big cruisers. The 20.10 spectra is bigger than the 21 Schiada cruiser , but the 22 Schiada is much bigger than the 20.10 spectra :smile: . I would take a 20 spectra v-drive for comfort/space [ you can sleep 2-3 under the deck ] , unless you're into ski racing [Schiada territory :rollside: ]

orange picker
06-16-2005, 03:25 PM
I had a Schiada and it was great now I have a Hallett 210 and their is no comparison it will out handle my old Schiada all day long. But if I was going to build a boat write now it would be a Schiada I just like the look

CrazyHippy
06-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Your 210 run better in the really rough stuff too??
I dont doubt it's faster, you are able to direct the prop thrust straight back, as opposed to having 6-8* of angle plus the running angle of the boat...
I love the "feel" of v-drives, they feel alive, so unless a bitchen deal on a Vector w/ a #3A falls in my lap, they are out. There's a teal Vector for sale on here that i would already have in the garage if i could get a responce :hammerhea from the seller.
There is also a 20' (maybe a 20.10, not sure) spectra for sale in nice shape for about the same price, and it would probably be a better cruiser, but i plan on Ski-racing in the near future, and coming from my STV anything will be an awesom cruiser :cool:
Where else should i be looking?
BJH

Highlimit9000
06-16-2005, 03:51 PM
;) How about a Schiada 20', two seater, 1500hp twin turbo motored, v-drive hot rod to wreak havoc on the water, every see the old Schiada brouchre with it at mead, 3+ feetout of the water at speed !!! :supp:
:rollside: Those dont exist... Never seen one :rollside:

orange picker
06-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Your 210 run better in the really rough stuff too??
I dont doubt it's faster, you are able to direct the prop thrust straight back, as opposed to having 6-8* of angle plus the running angle of the boat...
I love the "feel" of v-drives, they feel alive, so unless a bitchen deal on a Vector w/ a #3A falls in my lap, they are out. There's a teal Vector for sale on here that i would already have in the garage if i could get a responce :hammerhea from the seller.
There is also a 20' (maybe a 20.10, not sure) spectra for sale in nice shape for about the same price, and it would probably be a better cruiser, but i plan on Ski-racing in the near future, and coming from my STV anything will be an awesom cruiser :cool:
Where else should i be looking?
BJH
On smooth water I like the Schiada in the rough stuff The 210 is better

dossangers
06-16-2005, 04:27 PM
I think the oldest of the modern cruisers are spectras or cambells Bud designed both. all of them are copies of the original designs by Bud Bailey designed all the 21-32 hallets. They always had a great bottem design. I have a 24 sanger/spectra with stock outdrive 60mph low deck lots of room great ride just a great river and lake boat going to step up the power a little. When i was at sanger picking it up in 86 there was an 24 with #3 drive and a blown big block a Delta runner! The boat i always wanted was Fred Millers 24 hallet with a #5 drive and a Gentry twin turbo setup very sweet indeed!!

Itsahobby
06-16-2005, 06:28 PM
How about Rayson Craft? :)
http://raysoncraftboats.com/custom.htm?
Hobby

Kurtis500
06-16-2005, 07:58 PM
I have a 21ft Howard and my friend a 20' Schiada twin turboed. The Howard is smoother in rough water and the Schiada is more responsive in steering and to horsepower. The Howard will go straight through 2 foot chop at 60mph, never unload the prop and feel like its just going over small bumps. Under the deck is room to store everything. The Schiada sets the motor up and out of the boat more, while the Howard sets it down farther and is easier to cover up.

GofastRacer
06-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Hobby
I'll go along with that!.. :D

Itsahobby
06-17-2005, 06:46 AM
The one pictured first is sitting in my garage. :rollside:
I'll go along with that!.. :D

GofastRacer
06-17-2005, 07:01 AM
The one pictured first is sitting in my garage. :rollside:
Very cool, I have the 19'6"... :)

STV_Keith
06-17-2005, 07:02 AM
CH, check your PM's.

CrazyHippy
06-17-2005, 08:28 AM
CH, check your PM's.
Replied... Thanks
BJH

CrazyHippy
06-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Hobby
An unintentional oversight...
How do they compare w/ those listed in rough water handling, speed, interior space (2 seats or 4??) High speed handling??
Thanks
BJH

CrazyHippy
06-17-2005, 08:34 AM
I have a 21ft Howard and my friend a 20' Schiada twin turboed. The Howard is smoother in rough water and the Schiada is more responsive in steering and to horsepower. The Howard will go straight through 2 foot chop at 60mph, never unload the prop and feel like its just going over small bumps. Under the deck is room to store everything. The Schiada sets the motor up and out of the boat more, while the Howard sets it down farther and is easier to cover up.
That's the type of info i'm looking for.. thanks
BJH

spectras only
06-17-2005, 12:51 PM
How do they compare w/ those listed in rough water handling, speed, interior space (2 seats or 4??) High speed handling??
Thanks
BJH
I've used my 20 spectra in the ocean all the time .Like the Howard it handles rough water very well. I've installed trim tabs to keep the bow down to part the waves rather than slam into it. We have a 26 mile crossing between vancouver and the island ,so the boat has to be able to take some beating ;) .Just throw a lot of HP at it and it will perform. Hot boat featured Mike Avila's 20 with twin outboards ,claiming triple digits .Nuff said . :D

spectras only
06-17-2005, 12:58 PM
You can clearly see in this picture ,how much deeper a spectra 20 ,compared to others the same size
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/spectraosoyoos2.jpg

Itsahobby
06-17-2005, 03:09 PM
I don't know how the Rayson Craft compares with the Howard or Schiada, but I had a Spectra before. I loved my Spectra, it had a lot more room up under the bow. The Spectra took the rough stuff better, but the Rayson Craft is like driving a sports car in comparison. When I say rough, I mean a fleet of 30+ foot cruiser coming at you rough.
My Rayson Craft holds 5 adults, high speed well I couldn't tell ya because I am running a mild BBC N/A. I know they are being used for G/N racing and they push a 1000hp.
GoFast probably could help ya there.
Hobby
Thanks
BJH

SPECTRABRENT
06-17-2005, 06:25 PM
CrazyHippy,
I own a Spectra 20 (MOONSHINE) that won the 1981 Catalina Ski race and it has a 468 Chevy with Gentry Twin Turbos, it ran 96 mph.
Maybe someone knows, but my Spectra maybe the last boat under 21 feet to win the Catalina Ski race.
FYI, the Howard 21 is the same hull as the Spectra 20. Howard Brown COPIED not spashed the Spectra 20 along with about every other boat company in the 1970's. Howard did change the deck in 1986.
If you are going to ski race and compete with the big dogs, I would buy a Hallett 210 with a big outdrive and turbos.
Brent

MoJetBoPar
06-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Cheetah made a few daycruisers too. Probably a splash of another brand.

ENDLESS
06-21-2005, 04:31 PM
The rayson craft does everything and it goes fast on glass or rough stuff. I know several people who have them and they all go over 100 with 800-900 hp. I also own one and I would put it up against any of these other cruisers.

RUSHIN ROULETTE
06-21-2005, 05:49 PM
The Rayson works well...I used to have a Vector and it was awsome...But I like my Cole because you dont see many... :D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-21-2005, 06:32 PM
This has been discussed here and there before, but i want to have it all in one spot, and easy to refer to in the future.
What is the difference (in actuality, not theory) between all the cruisers?
Eliminator double steps
Hallett Vectors
Schiada's 20 and 21'
Spectra
Campbell
Connelly
Rush
DiMarco
Howard 19, 20 and 21
Any I missed (sorry)
I'm not overly concerned w/ the history behind them and who's is a splash of what etc, because im not buying new and supporting the slacker.
What runs the fastest on say 800HP? How about rough water? Build quality? Interior space? (2 buckets and a bench is fine) Anythign else that i should know?
Thanks
BJH
I have been shooting GN races for many years and have seen nearly every boat in your comparo racing against each other at one time or another. The 20 foot Rayson Craft GN (I think is really 19.6) has been IMO the fastest best handling and most successful boat of all of them and an argument can be made for the 21 Rayson also. I would put the rush next.
I don't know why more people don't make play boats out of them. The fastest cruiser I've ever seen at the river is Bud Simi's (I think he sold it) 20 ft. Rayson GN with a 540 and old school carbureted turbos. Sneed has one for sale in another thread.
Jerry :cool:

Boat211
06-21-2005, 06:58 PM
I agree Bud had a darn fast boat. But I wonder why we dont see more Rayson's out there. From what I have heard, they dont leave real good water for ski racing but I have never experinced this myself, only what I have heard. But never the less, they are fast.

ENDLESS
06-21-2005, 07:05 PM
I think the reason you dont see too many is because there are not to many around any more. Rudy seems to know where they all are. Many of these boats were race boats and most people don't want a race boat for a family/play boat.

Obsessive Compulsive
06-21-2005, 07:22 PM
I have been shooting GN races for many years and have seen nearly every boat in your comparo racing against each other at one time or another. The 20 foot Rayson Craft GN (I think is really 19.6) has been IMO the fastest best handling and most successful boat of all of them and an argument can be made for the 21 Rayson also. I would put the rush next.
I don't know why more people don't make play boats out of them. The fastest cruiser I've ever seen at the river is Bud Simi's (I think he sold it) 20 ft. Rayson GN with a 540 and old school carbureted turbos. Sneed has one for sale in another thread.
I know bud, real cool dude. We were crusing back from topack, after having lunch, you know know , liquid lunch. So I figured I'd get him on turbo lag, No way, he cooked my goose. His shit is, was, bad.

lucky
06-22-2005, 05:25 AM
fI just called him day before yesterday to ask a question - he doen'snt know me from adam , but he still helps ! cool dude

GofastRacer
06-22-2005, 06:34 AM
I agree Bud had a darn fast boat. But I wonder why we dont see more Rayson's out there. From what I have heard, they dont leave real good water for ski racing but I have never experinced this myself, only what I have heard. But never the less, they are fast.
You don't see that many 19'6" because back in the day Rudy woudn't make you a boat other than for GN racing!..

dmontzsta
06-22-2005, 06:36 AM
Whats the deal with the Eliminator? I was told it was made with 3 different boats, I cant remember but I am pretty sure the top was a Spectra and dont know the rest.