PDA

View Full Version : Do or don't??

ED
08-21-2000, 06:54 AM
Just switched to a jet and have been getting conflicting advise on starting the boat after pulling it out of the water. So can someone convince me on the proper procedure?
Do I or Don't I start the boat when it goes back on the trailer??

DICK THORPE
08-21-2000, 07:48 AM
ED:
Do not start your boat after you get it on your trailer the wear ring and impeller rely on the lubrication of the water.
Dick Thorpe

ED
08-22-2000, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your response. I have heard this, but also have been told that the water left in the engine and pipes needs to be removed. Is this true??
Originally posted by DICK THORPE:
ED:
Do not start your boat after you get it on your trailer the wear ring and impeller rely on the lubrication of the water.
Dick Thorpe

dropkeel
08-23-2000, 02:57 PM
If you are running water injected style headers "Bassett" it would be wise to bust it off for 2-5 seconds to prevent the possibility of rusting the valve and seats also the upper cylinder.It wont hurt the pump to run it that short of a time. You don't have race clearances do you?
Be shure to do it before winter storage also!

wsuwrhr
09-18-2000, 06:15 PM
Assuming you are using wet headers, I shut the water off to the headers when I am ready to load it up, or any other time I am going to shut it off, that way the headers are dried out. Some shut off valves will actually still leak some water on purpose even when completely shut off. The water left in the headers can be sucked in past the exhaust valve when you start it up, making some serious damage. As far as the water in the engine is concerned,(and in the exhaust manifolds if you have them)you wont get it all out, most of the water will drain out through the outlet and pump, but the block will always have some water in it. Jets can suck from 6 feet, so anytime you are in shallow water such as a boat launch, you should be very careful. I coast mine up to the trailer, and hitch it up by hand. It is a pain, but it beats replacing wear rings, or buying 1000 dollar impellers.
Brian
[This message has been edited by wsuwrhr (edited September 18, 2000).]

superdave013
09-18-2000, 06:55 PM
I'm not a jet boat guy but I did race my flatbottom in the National Jet Boat Assc. for some time. The racers never run the jet pump dry. Most of them have a splined coupling that they disconnect before warming the engine. Dick Thorpe is correct, water lubs the wear ring. If you neeed to drain the water from the engine and water logs put some plugs in it like the ones in the bottom of air comperssor tanks. Alot of guys run them dry on the trailer but that's good for you. Their wear ring and impeller will not stay tight as long and you'll be passing them!

spectras only
09-25-2000, 03:16 PM
Hi ed,I have a 20 foot daycruiser jet.Had the boat for 24 years,logged 2000 hrs on the same wet log headers.I start the engine on the trailer and give two short blasts to get the water out.It never hurt the wear ring since there's sufficient clearence between the impeller and ring when brand new.I only replaced the impeller once for the reason to go AA size. The original A impeller was still good condition for resale.

dropkeel
09-25-2000, 05:04 PM
Hey guys be wary of a v-drive guys opinion.He might stear you wrong on purpose . He He !
Here is a link that might help you.
http://www.rewarderheaders.com/reversio.htm
SuperDave,
I don't want to offend you but you might want to give advise on something you know about. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

superdave013
09-25-2000, 05:51 PM
No offence taken Dropkeel. Btu I have raced at the National Jet Boat Assc. for years and that's what the racers do! I have alot of respect for quick jet.

spectras only
09-26-2000, 12:05 PM
HI guys,my boat is a 20 Spectra daycruiser that's quite heavy in the back sitting in the water.The waterline is above the exhaust tips but the risers keep reverson remote.If you put flappers at the tip it's even safer.I run ford motorsport's marine cam,493 intake lift 502 exhaust with 115 lobecenter.I've built a 460 for my friend's 19 spectra wich has ford's 443 cam with 563 intake lift 588 exhaust and 112 lobecenter.Same scenario;exhausts under waterline supertrapp muffler's and no problem with water reverson.