PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice.

abraman1326
06-17-2005, 10:08 AM
I just dropped a 460 in my 21 ft. Taylor. I am having a problem holding oil pressure. When I did the change, I put in a high flow oil pump, but when I'm on plane, the pressure drops very slowly. I let it get down to about 45psi, and backed down to about 1400 RPM, and slowly the pressure would come up. This ended up being repeated all day as at speed it would drop, then under idle-1500RPM it would come up slowly. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? My thoughs were that maybe I got a piece of an old gasket in the pan, which is now sucked up on the screen of the oil pan. Has anyone ran into this problem before? Any help would be apopreciated...
BRA

Squirtin Thunder
06-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Tell me a little more about the 460 you put in. You can also call me if it makes it easier to explain.
Thanks
Jim
928-704-1158

b's sanger
06-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Where is your oil pick-up located (front or rear) in the pan. Also is your oil pan baffled.

Squirtin Thunder
06-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Where is your oil pick-up located (front or rear) in the pan. Also is your oil pan baffled.
But Brian, we both used front sump pans or mid sump pans.

b's sanger
06-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Hey Jim,
I had some pressure loss with my front pick-up at speed. i have a rear pick-up now with no loss of pressure. And if his pan isn't baffled and his engine mount angle is back, could be an issue. Plus, how big is his pan?

Heatseeker
06-17-2005, 01:16 PM
What temp is it running at? Hot oil can do strange things...

abraman1326
06-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Front pump, baffled pan 10 qt. Engine is running at 150 degrees. You think it could be the front mounted oil pump? What do I have to do to move it back?
What is a sump pump? Sorry for all the questions...
BRA

EXTREMEBOATS
06-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Front mounted pump, rear or mid pick up, if it sucks air pressure will drop. Oil temp has plenty to do with pressure fluxuation. Water temp is not consistant with oil temp. So hot oil will read lower oil pressure. If it changes with load or heat you will see changes in pressure. 460 Fords run the oil pump forward, and if im right, you should be useing a rear or atleast mid pick up. 10 quarts of oil should not run out while accellerating in my opinion. One last thought, a piece of silicon or crap in the oil pump pressure valve could be to blame. I would check the oil temp when you see the drop. If that isnt your prob check your pick up and or pressure vale for crap. Maybe this will help. Im not a jet guy but have more than enough years playing with it all.
Mike :( :messedup:

abraman1326
06-20-2005, 08:58 AM
Thank you so much. Something on the oil p/u was what I was thinking it was, but I know there are people here w/ a lot more expierence w/ this stuff. Thank you for all the ideas...
BRA

Oldsquirt
06-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Abraman1326, when you installed the 10 quart pan, did it come with an oil pickup tube assembly that moved the pickup to the rear of the pan? In fact, is the pan you are using designed for a jet boat application?

abraman1326
06-20-2005, 09:40 AM
It did not have an extention for the p/u. It was out of a jet boat from a freind that went to a 454.

06-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Don't overlook the oil filter, it could be bad. I've seen Fram filters cause a 15-20lb loss because they are junk. Before you go pulling the engine try another filter, may save you alot of work.

abraman1326
06-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Don't overlook the oil filter, it could be bad. I've seen Fram filters cause a 15-20lb loss because they are junk. Before you go pulling the engine try another filter, may save you alot of work.
I'll be trying that this week. My plan was to change the oil, and screw up a new filter, if there was no change, I'll then be looking at the pump. I'm going to try and get to the pump from underneath, and hope I can get to it w/o pulling another motor. At least if I do have to pull it, I won't have to lift it very high to get to everything. We had to use a forklift to get it in and out b/c the boat sits so high...
BRA

Oldsquirt
06-20-2005, 10:37 AM
I'll be trying that this week. My plan was to change the oil, and screw up a new filter,
Excellent starting point. Make sure you use a different brand filter.
if there was no change, I'll then be looking at the pump. I'm going to try and get to the pump from underneath, and hope I can get to it w/o pulling another motor.
I cant even imagine trying to do that IN the boat! Just pull the engine, put it on a stand and do it right. If you have to go that far make sure you check the pickup-to-pan clearance.
Getting back to the pan....Are you sure it is for a jetboat? What brand is it? I have a real hard time believing that a jet pan for a Ford would NOT have moved the oil pickup to the rear.

abraman1326
06-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Madelon is the brand name on the pan. He didn't give me anything to move the p/u to the rear. Am I missing something? I hate to sound like a total idiot here, but I am not the most expierenced w/ big blocks.
BRA

Oldsquirt
06-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Madelon is the brand name on the pan.....
Do you mean "Milodon"?

abraman1326
06-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Yeah, sorry, I'm at work, and don't have it in front of me. I knew it started w/ an M. Like I said, I'm not the most expierenced w/ this. I'm learning as I go. I did learn not to get another 455 Olds as I blew 3 of them in 5 trips to the lake. Damn heave foot...
BRA

Oldsquirt
06-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Funny my Olds lasted 20+ years. On its final trip to Berryessa, I tried like hell to blow it up but couldn't. Still running in someone else's boat. :) Of course,I wouldn't build another.....
The Milodon website, www.milodon.com (http://www.milodon.com ) , doesn't specify if they use an extended pickup. Might try giving them a call 805 577-5950

abraman1326
06-20-2005, 11:27 AM
I just had some bad luck. I held the 1st one WOT for about 20 min runnin to catch some friends. Made it to the bouys at Markley on Berryessa, and it just let go. I was told afterward that they have oiling problems. Oil get's up top, but they don't have the return. It was a great motor till that afternoon. You said you run up at Berryessa, where on the lake do you like to go?
BRA

abraman1326
06-20-2005, 11:27 AM
I just had some bad luck. I held the 1st one WOT for about 20 min runnin to catch some friends. Made it to the bouys at Markley on Berryessa, and it just let go. I was told afterward that they have oiling problems. Oil get's up top, but they don't have the return. It was a great motor till that afternoon. You said you run up at Berryessa, where on the lake do you like to go?
I will check into it more, thank you for the link, and phone number...
BRA

Sleek26
06-20-2005, 11:17 PM
You said the pressure came down to 45 Lbs and you slowed down and it came back up, but didn't say back up to what. What is the high side? How much pressure variation are we talking about? If 45 Lbs is as low as it goes and the variation isn't extreme, I wouldn't worry about it. I have never used a Ford but I would guess that 45 Lbs would be sufficient.

CVX20Dustin
06-21-2005, 12:22 AM
I just got a new Mailodon 10 Qt. pan for a jet boat 460 and it had a long oil pickup got it from summit. If your pickup isn't long enough you sure could be running out of oil.

abraman1326
06-21-2005, 09:17 AM
After first starting the motor, it had 75psi. When I started it yesterday, and when I was running it at Shasta, it started and would come back up to about 60-65. It takes about 5 min to come down to 45, and that's as low as I would let it get, and then take about 10 min to come back up to 60 or so. Thank you all for those that have given me some suggestions...
BRA