PDA

View Full Version : Dominator VS Burkley

kachina
06-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Purchased a 22.5 ft kachina and found that the jet was machined incorrectly, it was machined .200 off center and was wearing out the bearings. I have a friend that is selling a Burkley jet, is the performance the same?, is it blonds and brunetts? Both pumps are late modle can anybody help me with his issue?
Kachina :cry:

Squirtin Thunder
06-17-2005, 06:34 PM
I would talk to Jack at MPD, he may have a solution to your problem without buying a new suction housing.

kachina
06-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the reply, i spoke with the owner of dominator and he said at that time it wasnt uncommon to see that, when he repurchase the company they retooled. I had a jet pump pro look at it he said the same thing about purchasing another intake. The wear ring is accualy visible from the inside of the intake, and is not fixable. Any comments of the differences of the two pumps, i was told that the burkley pump has a smaller boul.

Cs19
06-17-2005, 08:29 PM
your not going to see any major differences. I personally would rather have a berkeley than a Dominator.
good luck.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-17-2005, 08:31 PM
I am going through the same problem with a dominator right now. The bowl was machined wrong from the factory. What a damn mess...... funny thing is that my 87' berk was just fine, hmmmmmm makes you wonder about dominator.......

kachina
06-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Hey thanks guy, my boat is a 95 but the pump is a 96 and was told it will bolt right up. I have a droop with a jetovator, will that bolt up as well, and i would like to get some more speed out of it, would like to go to an AB impeller. the boat is kinda big for a jet but am willing to scrifice a little bottom end for top end, and how much gain would i get in top end. Motor is mildly built, bored 60 over with a mild cam. 454
Kachina

kachina_labala
06-20-2005, 11:31 AM
What speed are you getting now and at what RMP. Im getting 55 @ 4600 RPM. Mild cam twin 4bbl lightning headers an a MPD 1.5 preped dominator.

kachina
06-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Hey Kachina hows it going, we spoke on real jet boats.com. My boatd doing about58 at 4800rpms. Im puting a AB impellar in and a liped wear ring tommarow, the guy working on it said that the Dominator impellar is bigger so will perform better, also the im putting my dominator bowl on the berkley intake. What impellar are you running in your labala? I was told my rpms will be about 5000rpms with the AB impellar.
Kachina Labala

kachina_labala
06-22-2005, 04:46 AM
Im running a strong "a" impeller possibly a dom a1.5. You will have to let me know how the change works out. I talked to Jack at mpd reciently about going to a smaller impeller. he suggested that I find a way to turn what I have faster (more ponies) rather than going to a smaller impeller, because of the size of the boat.
Acording to the JPC calculator the change from an "a" to an "ab" with your #'s gets you 4944 rpm but at 61.1mph

Duane HTP
06-22-2005, 05:50 AM
Performance of the two pumps is basically the same. The Dominator housing is a stronger housing than the Berkeley housing. The early Dom housings were good . They are good today. But there was a era when the pumps were being made in Hugo Ok, that they were junk. If you talk to Ronnie at ATJ, and he can tell you the serial numbers of the ones to stay away from. Dominators are good pumps. ALL companies have had some problems at times with their machining and castings. So you kind of need to know what you are looking at.

kachina
06-22-2005, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the replys guys, Yes the builder did say just to stay with the A impellar for the same reasons and not to go to the B but to try the AB and see what happens. Ill be getting the pump back this weekend and hopefully try it next week before the trip to Clear Lake for the week, cant wait.
Thanks

kachina_labala
06-29-2005, 05:45 AM
any info?? how is it going?

kachina
06-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey, just got the pump in and will take it to the lake this week, the impellar is more on the b side so a b+ i would say. Ill let you know how it works out.
Kachina Labala

BigBlockBaja
07-09-2005, 08:15 AM
whats interchangable between the two brands? can i put a berk bowl on a dom suction housing?

ONAROLL
07-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Performance of the two pumps is basically the same. The Dominator housing is a stronger housing than the Berkeley housing. The early Dom housings were good . They are good today. But there was a era when the pumps were being made in Hugo Ok, that they were junk. If you talk to Ronnie at ATJ, and he can tell you the serial numbers of the ones to stay away from. Dominators are good pumps. ALL companies have had some problems at times with their machining and castings. So you kind of need to know what you are looking at.
Can anyone post the serial number ranges of the defective suction pieces? thanks.........

kachina
07-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Hey guy, just got back from Clear Lake and the pump works great, much stronger out of the hole and better top end as well, i have a 22.5 kachina labal with a droop and place diverter and cut an A impellar to a B+ and much to my supprise its better out of the hole and on top end as well. I fit a Dominator bowl on a later modle burkley pump, also a later model dominator although i had to install the Dominator impellar to accout for the extra space of the dominator bowl, i could not keep the Burkley impellar because they are smaller and would affect performance>
With the bad machining of the suction and bowl, i tossed away the suction and indicated everything from the ID of the bowl that slips over the suction because that lines up the all the machineing from the suction side. i then checked center to the bushing hole which in my case it was off .015 off cent and then bored out the hole .200 and installed a sleeve and pressed in the new bushings. My pump was a 96
What was going on with the suction was you could visually see the wear ring intruding into the suction intake and after removing the bowl could see that every thing was machined off center which puts a side load on the impellar and wears out the bushings and bearings. After machining everthings so close i could achieve the closest tolorence possible, which creates the most effeciant pump and performance.

kachina_labala
07-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Do you have any GPS and tach numbers? Preferibly before and after for compairson.

kachina
07-14-2005, 07:53 AM
No GPS, the boat handles completly differnt now. In the past i would have 6 people in the boat and it would just plow before getting up on plane now i just come straint up not now plowing. I now top end is better because i run my buddy and before i would just inch by, now i contiue to pull him at a much higher speed. Rpms are about 5000 to 5100 at top speed.
I dont have exact numbers but it is a dramatic differnce. I also believe the guy the built the pump last didnt get everything tight.
Can you tell me how to post a pic, cant figure it out and ill send some pics, or by email.