PDA

View Full Version : Greg Shoemaker no longer jet tech?

lakecrazy
08-15-2001, 06:23 AM
Just got the September issue of Hot Boat and noticed that we have a new jet tech!!

Slick
08-15-2001, 06:26 AM
I saw that. Welcome, welcome welcome. Seemed to be some pretty good input. I was sorry to see that they're having trouble getting letters for V-drive tech. I hope it's not a dying breed.
Slick

GL360
08-15-2001, 06:28 AM
I think Hot Boat needs to make the tech columns a paid position. Greg is probably a great guy, but he often gave somewhat inaccurate (due to editing, perhaps?) information. I'm guessing because he did it free of charge he may have not spent the time required to make sure answers were accurate and complet. Can't blame Greg too much, but a lot of people were taking his advice at face value; a phone call to Greg would likely produce much, much better information.

wrightnow
08-15-2001, 07:29 AM
No lost sleep on my part to see (hear) greg go another direction and away from Hot Boat.

skijake
08-15-2001, 08:49 AM
A paid position??
How much business do you think he made from that column?? Not a month went by that he did not have a reason to put his number in to call if they could not find what they needed.
Not that I blame him, or any of the tech people, that is the best reason to do it. Everyone across the nation gets to see the name, they get comfortable that if they go to them they will be going to the best. Nice to know that there is someone out there to ask questions of.
I'm sure Teague gets a lot of business for all the work he does with Powerboat mag.

GL360
08-15-2001, 01:46 PM
I was trying to be kind in bidding farewell. Yes, I think a paid position would be a good idea; might attract a quality jet-head. Most folks who know anything about motors or jets spotted the frequently erroneous information immediately and I'd venture to say GS lost more business from the knowledgeable as he gained from the easily duped. Overall, I have no doubt the column and the bad press GS got as a result of his 'free advice' cost him business and it will continue to do so for a long, long time. Also, if the position were paid it would eliminate the gratuitous groveling for business at the end of each Jet Tech response.

Bubbledeck2
08-15-2001, 07:34 PM
I had GS rebuild my pump because he wrote the Jet Tech column and I figured he'd be the best.
I pulled my pump and took it to Corona (quite a haul from Fresno)
When I got there I met Greg and he's a very likeable and personable guy. I'm sure Greg knows pumps, but Greg has a guy that does pumps for him.
My pump was pretty tight, but an intake finger had broken off and went through the pump damaging the impeller.
The 4 day turn around with free freight turned into a 4 week turn around with $75 S&H. I was charged $275 for a "rebuild kit" that did not include an impeller, O ring, transom gasket, or even the nylon bushings.
I had also ordered and paid for a new intake grate.
When my pump arrived via UPS I opened the box and the only thing there was my pump .. no intake grate, O ring, or transom gasket.
I called GS and spoke to the secretary who checked with "the pump guy" who said that those things didn't come in the rebuild kit and if I paid for a intake grate, then they shipped me an intake grate. Finally after 2 more days and many phone calls I convinced the secretary that I really hadn't received the intake grate that I paid for and she said she would ship "another one".
The bottom line is that a cheezy rebuild cost me $805.13, took a month to get my pump back, and made me wish I'd taken it somewhere else.
I've been stewing over this for 2 years now and am really reluctant to slam anyone on a board like this, but I figured the story needed to be told.

HBjet
08-15-2001, 07:49 PM
Bubble, for future pump work, call Jack at MPD in Costa Mesa, Ca (949-631-2040) He's the best! Just call him and talk to him. Oh, and he is the one that does the pump work.
HBjet

Bubbledeck2
08-15-2001, 07:58 PM
HB I have heard nothing but good things about Jack. I'll be talking to him when the time comes ..
thanx :-)

riverhore
08-15-2001, 10:15 PM
Cry, cry, cry, all you little penny pinching jet boat weenies want something for nothing. DO you know who you're dealing with? Mr. Shoemaker deals with the BIG MONEY BOYS and proffessional racers of which he were one. He has big expenses, etc. What do you want ?, a "fair price"? Get a clue! The reason he fired HOT BOAT MAG was cause the sucratory you talked to demanded a raise cause she got tired of having to call Tom Papp and Jack McClure to get the answers to all the dumb questions you guys kept bothering them with. The phone bills were killing them. And as for taking 4 weeks, well I imagine the timeline went something like this. 1 week to find where you left it in the shop( they probably though it was an anchor cause YOU didn't label it stating "Jet pump" in 3ft by 3ft letters. 1 day to take it apart, 2 weeks to scrounge up some parts,(not their fault, the parts driver was on a break), 1 day to find the wrench, 1 day to assemble pump, 4 days freight( union drivers, you know), as I see it you got your pump 1 day ahead of schedule. And for Greg being a nice guy, he's a very nice guy and the next time you have a dumb question , don't hesitate to call, just have your M/C or VISA card handy and he'll be more than happy to help you out.

EDROE
08-15-2001, 11:12 PM
Riverhore you should change your name to RiverIdiot. As far as union drivers, you must be an under paid no workers rights moron. Now get back under the dock you stinkin TROLL.

Heatseeker
08-16-2001, 06:24 AM
I hope that ***boat doesn't drop the v-drive tech. I had the chance to meet Mr. Wilkes in April and he is one of the nicest, most knoledgable(v-drive)guys I've ever met. We went in with a question cocerning outboard steering on my nephews picklefork and left 2 hours later with the info we needed and much more!
I hope any v-drive guys that read this board(come on, I know some of you guys read the jet board)keep him busy with some questions.

lostlake
08-16-2001, 06:54 AM
I've know Greg for some time now, and have used his shop more than once, and it is true that he has his mechanics do the work, and he overseas everthing that is done in the shop, I am having my new deck boat rigged by GS and it is right on Schedule to take delivery on Time, ( Labor Day Weekend) and when it is done it will be of quailty work with attention to detail, Now come-on guys how many of you own a company and actually do the physcial work, if you do maybe your not doing bussiness as well as you could. Most true owners that have a sucesfull bussiness usually make sure everyone that is employed is knowelable in the field that they are working in and checks out there work on a regular basis. And as far as the Rigger that is rigging my boat, he is great, wires under the dash routed beautifully, all bolts thur bolted, I could go on and on but that enough for now.. just my 2...
[This message has been edited by lostlake (edited August 16, 2001).]

rivercrazy
08-16-2001, 07:56 AM
There are many boat companies where the owner is still out there busting their rump on a day to day basis.
A few that come to mind are Essex (rigging and gelcoats), Shockwave (Bob does the rigging, Mancini does the Gelcoats), Lavey, etc. This is a big plus in my opinion as they remain involved in what made them originally successful in the first place.

racingrascal
08-16-2001, 08:59 AM
First of all well said Edroe! Second anybody that owns a business that sits on thier hands and watch the day go by doesn't sit there very long. I know a lot of people that own small and large business and they watch there employees do the work and they do work them selfs. You don't just hire all the right people and go home to watch tv. You do and you are another small company bk! Just my .02.
Andy

wrightnow
08-16-2001, 01:44 PM
Riverhore or whoever you are, if you don’t have the balls to user your real handle then don’t bother posting (I see you created this handle just for the post).
And yes I know who I’m dealing with Mr. Greg Shoemaker. I don’t discount Greg’s knowledge, ability and his accomplishments. I have met him many times and find him to a very personable guy. But I believe in ‘Say what your going to do and do what you said you would’ and this seems to be where Greg has fallen.
This sometimes happens with growth and the person who builds the company no longer controls the quality.
When you sign-up for a gig like Jet-tech in Hot Boat you must expect to offer some amount of free advise to all the readers. If his secretary was placing so many calls to other vendor for info then Greg should have given their phone numbers in his column for all of us to call.
I see that Greg has started another thread and I’m glad he finally has come to this board to hear what’s going on in his own company (or what’s not happening).
I hope this has en-lighten you a little (but I doubt it) this is just my option and I’m not hiding behind a handle
Later…Mark Wright

fat rat
08-18-2001, 05:46 AM
Lostlake you won't be disappointed with quality and wokmanship that is going into your boat.....I recently recieved a new 21 Daytona from Greg and his Crew.....they did a super clean job on everything.

boatnam2
08-18-2001, 06:16 AM
greg might be a great jet guy but dont have a motor built there.had him build one last year lasted one day enough said.

miller killer
01-26-2002, 01:12 AM
Can you guess why this was good news to me?

miller killer
01-26-2002, 01:17 AM
Riverhore,you and chet are my type of people,did you get boom boomed?

Harlem
01-26-2002, 12:08 PM
I personally have not dealed with Greg, only cause I have someone else that is just as good work on mine. But I can say this, My old boss is a neighbor of Gregs in Corona and had a buddy of his take his Eliminator cat to have a new motor built cause he blew his blown 502. He needed it done that week cause he had an important river trip that weekend, and paid a grip of cash to make sure it was done. Got the boat backthat Friday went to Havasu and blew the motor the first hour out! Took it to a local shop in Havasu (not sure what shop) they tore the motor apart and found out alot of used parts were used to build this $30,000. motor! He was not too happy! Just thought I would share that story.
Ryan

HBjet
01-26-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Harlem:
I personally have not dealed with Greg, only cause I have someone else that is just as good work on mine. But I can say this, My old boss is a neighbor of Gregs in Corona and had a buddy of his take his Eliminator cat to have a new motor built cause he blew his blown 502. He needed it done that week cause he had an important river trip that weekend, and paid a grip of cash to make sure it was done. Got the boat backthat Friday went to Havasu and blew the motor the first hour out! Took it to a local shop in Havasu (not sure what shop) they tore the motor apart and found out alot of used parts were used to build this $30,000. motor! He was not too happy! Just thought I would share that story.
Ryan
I'm sure there is just a littlr more to that story then what is posted. For someone to rebuild a blown motor in one week is pretty good when your as busy as GS is. I'm sure they didn't have time to dyno it, and I'm sure your buddy was aware of that. Now, did he build a completely new motor, not using anything from the old motor? How do you know your buddy didn't change the pully for more power and blew it up himself? Anyway, I really believe there is a lot more to this.
HBjet

JESSE
01-26-2002, 03:15 PM
I HAVE NEVER MEET THE GUY BUT I DID
CALL THIRE LOOKING FOR PARTS FOR MY
JACUZZI PUMP. THE GRIL THAT ANSWER
THE PHONE WAS VERY NICE. SHE TOLD
ME THAT I WOULD HAVE TO TALK TO
GREG.HE WAS REALLY COOL EXPLANED WHAT
THE PART WAS WHAT IT DID. HE TOLD ME
THAT HE WOULD HAVE TO ORDER THE PART
WHEN I TOLD HIM I NEEDED IT THAT DAY
HE GAVE ME THE # TO ANOTHER SHOPE THAT
HAD THE PART IN STOCK.VERY COOL IF YOU
ASK ME.

tahitijet
01-26-2002, 07:13 PM
I talked with Greg last week.. His secratary and himslef were very nice to talk with. Greg unlike most everyone else i have talked to never once tried to rush me through the conversation.. He wanted to make sure i understood exactly what he was saying and why. and covered areas i had not thought about when i asked the question.
From time to time we all feel like we got screwed by someone one way or another. Sometimes that warrants being publicly posted to help our fellow boaters out and give them a warning of whats going on in the industry
Now some of you may disagree but it really sounds like he has not done anything that hasn't happend at any other shop at any giving time. There are alot of new boaters that come onto the list and alot of lurkers. I don't belive this is the place for the bad remarks about Greg or his company, Thats what the BBB is for. I guess it's one thing to tell everyone the problem but in the last 4 or 5 post i have read concerning GS you guys are personally attacking him. IS this the right place for that?
Sorry for the book.

SK48
01-26-2002, 07:33 PM
Raced jet circle's in the 70's & 80's Jack at marine performance designed is the best, also Harold at R&D knows his stuff. Great luck with both of them, glad to see the change in the jet boat column.
r

Harlem
01-26-2002, 08:19 PM
I dont know Greg personally, I was just going off of what my boss told me. Who knows the guy might of went out and full throttle without even breaking in the cam! Thats just what I've heard. I've also heard good things about G&S He does get alot of business!
Harlem

Flat Screwd
01-26-2002, 10:00 PM
Some of you Cen Cal guys might want to consider Walt ***boat in Modesto. As far as I'm concernd hes been fair with his prices and puts together a dam good pump.He is not partial to just one dealer and will use just the best parts . His custom loader grates are by far the best . And even a better price than CP pro loader that really didnt seem to work that well for me.

OneBadScorpion
01-27-2002, 05:20 PM
Sure seems we're passing on alot of "hearsay" of how good or not how good Greg is.
I've previously posted my experiences with Greg and like previously stated "I don't" need to defend him in any manner. Any work he has ever done has been new parts, quality work and some of the soundest advise I've ever received.
If it wouldnt be for Greg Shoemaker and Duane Oblander of Hi-Tech here in Wichita, I'd gotten out of jets long ago, but I've always "GONE TO THE BEST" and passed up the rest. I've owned Jets since my very first sleekcraft in '72 to current date now still owning a 75 Taylor SS and a 89 Eliminator Scorpion--I've never been dealt wrong with Greg and I'd recommend him on the bassis of the great work he and Duane Oblander have done for me in some 30+ years of owning jets! Greg Keep up the good work and advise ya provide. And I don't own a M/C/Visa or AE--cash and neither of them have never taken advantage of me.
Dave

Cas
01-27-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by HBjet:
I'm sure there is just a littlr more to that story then what is posted. For someone to rebuild a blown motor in one week is pretty good when your as busy as GS is. I'm sure they didn't have time to dyno it, and I'm sure your buddy was aware of that. Now, did he build a completely new motor, not using anything from the old motor? How do you know your buddy didn't change the pully for more power and blew it up himself? Anyway, I really believe there is a lot more to this.
HBjet
there has to be a LOT more to this story...a $30,000.00 rebuild in a week? c'mon, I can't and won't believe that. I think would have been something more along the lines of, "I need this engine this weekend."
"Sorry, can't do that, not enough time."
"ok, how about just fixing the broken part and I'll fix the rest later."
"I really don't like to do that."
"c'mon, I won't blame you for anything, I just need it fixed by this weekend."
"well, ok, I guess but I can't guarantee it'll work for more than an hour."
"that's ok, I'll take my chances."
"Looks like your cam is broken, we'll need to put a new cam and lifters in."
"no thanks, the lifters are still pretty new, just change the cam."
"it'll be $300.00 either way, with or without lifters."
"forget the lifters, I don't need them."