PDA

View Full Version : Ready, set, don't go.

robk
04-30-2006, 04:16 PM
So, after spending the last 6 months getting my Tahiti ready for the water, I've redone/repaired almost everything on the boat in some form or fashion. After finally finishing my pump rebuild and 99% of the minor details, I decided to take it out for a cruise today. I started to connect the drive coupler to the motor and...
Discovered that the motor is anywhere for 1/4" to 1/2 too high at the back.
Any suggestions? The rear mounts are held to the stringer with only two bolts (as far as I can see/remember).
I imagine the motor will have to come out and that's not a problem, but what am I going to have to do to the stringers? I don't imagine I would get terrific results by just drilling the new mounting holes a little lower. Is there any way to patch the holes and redrill? Or do I need to replace the stringers?
If there's anyone in the North Orange County area that wants to help me out on this one, I'll provide the beers.
Thanks
Rob

Nucking futs
04-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Where about are you? Im in Orange at Main and Chapman. I could swing by one afternoon this week and take a peek for ya.

bakerjet
04-30-2006, 05:21 PM
the engine and pump connection are made to be offset to keep your u-joints in good shape.

robk
04-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Where about are you? Im in Orange at Main and Chapman. I could swing by one afternoon this week and take a peek for ya.
I'm up a little ways from the 57 and Imperial in La Habra... I'll send you a PM.
the engine and pump connection are made to be offset to keep your u-joints in good shape.
The offset is there angle-wise, but the coupler I'm using is a single u-joint rather than the coupler with two that is typically seen. I sort of figured it might become a nightmare when I first saw that. I would have used the normal double u-joint coupler, but there isn't enough room in the boat to move the motor forward enough to accomodate it.
Is anyone else having any success with a coupler like this? I remember a few folks mentioning they had them, but I think it was all project boats.
Rob