PDA

View Full Version : Cole nighthawk 1997 502MPI

greyno3
06-18-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm new here and also to boats. I want to buy this 1997 Cole Nighthawk 22' ,502MPI with 114 hours for 29K. It's a 2 hour drive from me and the picture in the ad don't look to good.
I have cash to give but I would like a better picture of the model. Does anyone have some pics and info to share? I'd like to learn more about it before I hit the bank Monday.
Is this a good boat? Any problems that I should look for? I can't find nothing on the internet for this model except for NADA.com.
Happy Father's Day To Me!!!
Thanks for any help,
greg
Spokane,Wa

Aduner2
06-18-2005, 10:22 PM
I think Cole Boats was one of the better So Cal boat manufactures. It has a fast bottom, low profile style. Gel coat work was top notch. It was made in both open bow or hard deck versions. It was offered with a jet, i/o and a few v-drives made. Most Cole boats were built to order in Chatsworth Ca. Unfortunately, Cole Boats is no longer in bussiness, closing its doors a couple of years ago. The Nighthawk was made from the late 80's until shutting down. I would think the 502 should push this boat into the low to mid 70's. The price seems reasonable if it's in prestine condition. I would negoiate a test ride before exchanging money. You don't see many of them for sale and generally are higher priced when offered. I think they are an awsome boat and would love to have one. I don't have a picture, but the Boat Trader has a 1997 Cole 22' Skier, same bottom, different deck, with picture, listed for 33k. Hope the purchase works out for you.

greyno3
06-19-2005, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the reply. This boat has the open bow. The guy said it was built So. Cal. for some millionaire in Seattle. I'm really interested in this and will take a criuse down and check it out.
What was the HP these 502 MPI's were putting out back then? I think it has a bravo 1 drive also.
Thanks, Greg

full throttle
06-19-2005, 06:14 AM
The 22 Nighthawk is an excellent boat. Very solid, and has a FAST bottom w/pad. Talk to J540.

greyno3
06-19-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks. I'll try and contact J540.

Beer-30
06-19-2005, 09:11 AM
502 MPI / Mag was 415 HP. Nice bottom end. A good base for building up later or just adding parts to.
I have always liked the nighthawk style. Very nice boat. Rarely for sale. If it is in the shape you are happy with, it would be a wise purchase.
If it is at all available, I would have a compression test done on the motor. 114 hours at that age is a lot of sitting. Not running a motor for long periods of time tends to take its toll. No doubt it's in good shape, but it would be a wise test to ensure a turn-key purchase. JMO.

greyno3
06-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll take my compression testor with me.
I was wrong on the hours. It has 144 hrs on it. I'm going there tomorrow to check it out and get a wild ride on the Columbia river.

N2Lake
06-19-2005, 04:23 PM
I don't have a picture, but the Boat Trader has a 1997 Cole 22' Skier, same bottom, different deck, with picture, listed for 33k. Hope the purchase works out for you.
I was the original owner of the Cole Skier in the Trader. Jim built a bad ass boat, and the SuperHawk with the 415HP 502 should run in the low 70s. The boat rode great and it was very tough. It would beat on you a little in the chop, and it leaned way over in the turns, but it is fine once you get used to it. Plus you can scare the hell out of people new to the boat with a hard turn. :supp: The Stern drive version can be a handful with power to push it into the 80s. I would buy another Cole in a minute, and I may yet, just waiting on the right one.

greyno3
06-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the input. I don't think I've ever been past 40mph. greg

greyno3
06-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Well, I bought the Cole Nighthawk!!! A little hairy at first when I drove it. Wasn't used to the trim tab setup. It went to 75 in a heartbeat! I gave him 27.5 cash and I think I stole it from him. Got it home in one piece. It is an awesome boat! I uploaded some pics in the Stern Drive section at the Image Center.
Thanks for all the input everyone. You helped me make a wise investment.
greg

Aduner2
06-21-2005, 08:04 AM
Congrats on your new boat!!! :D

Hustler
06-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Very nice boat, Congrates
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2735at_the_bank_1.jpg

N2Lake
06-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Great looking boat greyno, hope you enjoy it.

cole13
06-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Very nice purchase, greyno. I did not want to give my opinon early, because I sort of biased towards COLE's. (Welcome to the family) That is a beautiful boat, as most COLE's are. Have fun with it!!

OutCole'd
06-21-2005, 01:03 PM
I had a 22.4 Cole Skier and loved the boat. Ran great, & a fast hull also.
Very clean boat you bought, I think you got a great deal.
Congrats.

RUSHIN ROULETTE
06-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Congrats...Very nice boat, I am partial to Cole's too...Here is a pic of mine....by the way it's for sale...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/1799boat-med.jpg

greyno3
06-21-2005, 06:32 PM
That looks like a rushin cruise missle. Probably hits mach 3 huh?
I was told to get a GPS. What is it?
I'm am not in any of you guy's tax bracket. I 'm so poor, but my whole life savings was in this Nighthawk deal. To me: It's like buying a Hemi-Cuda and I can still drive it.
Is there a good book for the 502Mpi and the Bravo I drive?

RUSHIN ROULETTE
06-22-2005, 02:56 PM
GPS stands for Global Positioning System. They make hand held ones that will tell you where you are at anywhere in the world. They work off sattelites. the cool part is they can tell you how fast you are going, very accurate. they make GPS speedometers too for boats. It's like a very high tech compass.

J540
06-24-2005, 07:32 PM
GPS stands for Global Positioning System. They make hand held ones that will tell you where you are at anywhere in the world. They work off sattelites. the cool part is they can tell you how fast you are going, very accurate. they make GPS speedometers too for boats. It's like a very high tech compass.
RR your boat looks way bad ASS, what have you got it up to (MPH). Iam going to put another 20' together but in a hard deck like yours, mine is getting a bit beatup its a 94 and i use it hard.
Well, I bought the Cole Nighthawk!!! Good deal Greyno3. You will def, like it, some say it will beat you up in the chop, well all i can say is, on sunday Memorial Day weekend in Havasu, we were up in the river hangin out then we started to go back so we could get the boat off the water and go eat, when we kept seeing 28' 30' VEE's and 28' deck boats Cats, going back up river, I knew it was a bit windy but didn't think it was that bad..............Till we got on the lake. 45mph winds, 3'+if not 4' waves not chop Iam talking waves, now i see why thouse boats were going back up river, they were going to a ramp up river to get there boats out of the water. well we all ready started going so there was know turnning back. (now last year there were 18 or 27 boats sank in the same water, same thing happened 3' waves) any way I had a 150' rope ready with a ball on one end and clip on other, cuz i thought we wernt going to make it, Lakes only 50/60' deep any way so i know ill get the boat back, (on weekends i work with my friend and iam one of his divers for his boat towing and recovery bis, on the river and Havasu.) any way this boat at times was 6 to 7' in the air no BS 6/7' we could not go slow cuz the boat would tak on 2' high waves would go over the bow, one went over the windshield hit my wife and took her almost out of her seat well she came out but I had 5 people 3 in the back her and i in front so they pushed her back, after that i got on the gas 25 to 35 a one point we were at 40 mph. I know some will say (yah right) well I do have a GPS on the dash and 5 witnesses and they could not belive we were going that fast, but it was all i could do to stay on top of it. well we did make it at my Daughters boy friend expense, he was in the center of the two girls and had to keep his back in front of the Injector so water wouldn't get in.
When i got home we took the boat off trailer checked the bottom, could not belive no cracks, then we went through the motor Because a lot of times i couldn't get off the gas, I have a 6800 rev-limiter and it hit it a lot.
Well bottom line the boat was ok so i think yours should last you a long time
John(j540).

N2Lake
06-25-2005, 05:13 AM
some say it will beat you up in the chop.
John don't take me the wrong way Cole brother. Mine was a bit rougher than the Velocity22 I had before buying the Cole. I did take the Cole through some stuff that would rattle your fillings, and never once worried about the integrity of the build. I am also looking at a 20 hard deck, not sure if I will pull the trigger on it or keep looking for an open bow.

waterboy
07-01-2005, 07:15 PM
i have a 96 nighthawk openbow with a 454mag always garaged will be selling soon if anyone interrested i am the original owner.

N2Lake
07-02-2005, 09:45 AM
i have a 96 nighthawk openbow with a 454mag always garaged will be selling soon if anyone interrested i am the original owner.
I might be, you have any pics?

Aduner2
07-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy
I would really be interested if you decide to sell your boat. Please post some pics! :D

waterboy
07-04-2005, 03:56 PM
i am going out next weekend to havasu i will take some pics then or if you are there you can see it and go for a ride

N2Lake
07-05-2005, 05:22 AM
i am going out next weekend to havasu i will take some pics then or if you are there you can see it and go for a ride
I'll be looking forward to the pics.