PDA

View Full Version : So much for a Balanced Impeller, Now what?

Mighty Thor
06-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Did something dumb and sucked up a rock and got this chunk out of the impeller.
Due to time contraints I probably will have to leave it like this for a while, Can I still run this impeller without further damaging the pump? We pulled the rock out and did run it back to the dock and there was no noise or anything, but I felt like it was not pulling as hard as before the rock.
http://www.classicglastron.com/messageboard/images/4785_Handhole1.jpg
http://www.classicglastron.com/messageboard/images/4785_Impellerchip1.jpg :(

Squirtcha?
06-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Ouch!
My guess is that the imbalance wouldn't do your thrust bearing, crank bearings, etc any favors. Can you feel any extra vibration when running it now?

Mighty Thor
06-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Ouch!
My guess is that the imbalance wouldn't do your thrust bearing, crank bearings, etc any favors. Can you feel any extra vibration when running it now?
Nothing significant. I assume that this impeller could be repaired is that right?

Squirtcha?
06-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Chris (CS19) could probably answer that question for ya. I don't know personally. I've picked up rocks before, but they only resulted in little dings/knicks. Nothing like what you've got there.

malcolm
06-19-2005, 11:05 AM
If you can't feel it I'd run it.
Or you could knock a similar sized piece off the opposite blade to make it match. ;)

Zeug
06-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Watch your RPMs. You might find that it caviatates and lets your motor rev higher. You dont want to over-rev.

Mighty Thor
06-19-2005, 12:05 PM
I am gonna go try it now, This is a 20 foot glastron CVX so I don't really hod rod it, nothing much above 4000 for me. Just tow the kiddies around the river.

Ken F
06-19-2005, 03:23 PM
You sure those aren't teeth marks in there??? LOL
From the pics it looks like aluminum? If so, yes it can be repaired.
I'm sure that you can definatly feel that it doesn't pull as hard-that's a good sized chunk.
I would suggest that you send it to Duane or Jack for repair as the angles ground on there are pretty critical. Or possibly one of the two would just send you anothre used one in good shape...
Ken F

Tinkerer
06-19-2005, 06:25 PM
It is already cavitating - You can see the burn mark already.

wideopen545
06-19-2005, 07:00 PM
i have a american turbine A-2 alum alloy not tinsloy
new condition size std/std on the ring side 225.00 i pay shipping
tim 540.871.4833

Mighty Thor
06-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks Wideopen I will consider and get back to you if inerested. I can see the marks that you all are refering to as burn marks, but what does that mean? It can't be actual heat can it? The RPMs remain steady and not over 4000. Spent this afternoon in the boat and ran mostly around 3200. No spedo or GPS but it felt a comfortable speed and there was no fluctuation from the engine. Till I get the time to fix this what should I watch out for? Will the impeller start to wear away from these burn marks?

Red Horse
06-20-2005, 03:02 AM
With imperfections in your impeller you will create areas of low pressure. The lower the pressure, the lower the temp for water to boil. Where the bubbles explode is where you will see the "burn" on the aluminum. Called cavitation or ventilation burn, depends on how it is being made. Yours more than likely is cavitation. Could run it for a while, but would get it fixed soon. Wasnt designed to run like that.