PDA

View Full Version : How is water pulled into the engine from the lake?

davidr34
06-20-2005, 08:34 AM
My boat is not pulling any water into the engine... I checked all my lines and they were all free flowing. The water comes in from the jet, right? So could there be a problem in there? Any help would be awesome thank you....

riverbound
06-20-2005, 08:38 AM
This may sound stupid but did you check to make sure you gate or ball valve is open??
The other thing I have heard of happening is the wear ring sliding and covering the hole that lets the water in.

cole13
06-20-2005, 08:40 AM
My boat is not pulling any water into the engine... I checked all my lines and they were all free flowing. The water comes in from the jet, right? So could there be a problem in there? Any help would be awesome thank you....
There is a line that come off the inside of the jet. it is an easy check to see if you are getting water there. Pull off the hose and start the boat. It should come out pretty good. If you are not getting water there, then it could be clogged from debris or you are going to need a pump re-build.

davidr34
06-20-2005, 08:43 AM
yeah the valve is open... how much does it cause to rebuild a pump

cole13
06-20-2005, 08:47 AM
yeah the valve is open... how much does it cause to rebuild a pump
Depends, you can do it yourself for like $400. Put if you take it someone, which I would do is around 600-1000, depending on who you use. I would take it someone who has done a lot of these pumps. I know there is a couple of guys here that can give you a reputable number. It really makes a difference in the boat if it is done right.

davidr34
06-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Yeah i bet i dont want to try and do it myself..

canuck1
06-20-2005, 08:55 AM
building pumps is not hard, lots of help here

Oldsquirt
06-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Who says he needs a pump rebuild? Kind of rushing to conclusions here, guys. Before getting too carried away, check the water pipe from the pump for blockage. I've known a few people who have gotten crap trapped in there. The pipe is pretty easy to remove. Also check to see that your water control valve(if you have one) actually opens when you turn the handle.

Cas
06-20-2005, 09:14 AM
if you run into troubles, there's a real good jet boat guy right near you.
Jet Boat Performance
Phone: (805) 466-4719
Fax: (805) 462-0956
Address: 8410 # M El Camino Real
Atascadero, CA 93422
Email: jetboatinfo@sbcglobal.net

davidr34
06-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Yeah when i had the boat on the water the pump felt ok just wasnt getting water into the engine

cole13
06-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Yeah when i had the boat on the water the pump felt ok just wasnt getting water into the engine
Like Oldsquirt said, you may want to pull off the line that connects to the pump and check inside the pump opening. In the past when I would run through a bunch of moss and reeds, they would get stuck up in that line and not allow any water to get to the motor. Also, check the T-Valve if you have one, sometimes it gets stuck. Do you run water to the headers? Are these getting water? If not, then you are not getting any water from the PUMP. Do the above.

AZKC
06-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Remember the ole K I S S theory. Listen to these guys and start with the basics. You've got a broken valve or a blockage I'll bet :cool:

victorfb
06-20-2005, 10:21 AM
only because there was another post somewere on here that a guy had over heating problems and asked about water flow. he did not have an exit line for the water to escape the block. do you have this return line? kinda wierd not getting ANY water to the block if the valve is open. as mentioned already, check for obstructions in the pump, and all the water lines. a picture of your set up would help identify any external visual problem. incorrectly routed lines, ect.

Cas
06-20-2005, 12:17 PM
how do you know there wasn't any water getting to the engine? Did it overheat?

cave
06-20-2005, 02:42 PM
davidr34 From the inside of the boat disconnect the hose at the gate /ball valve. hook a garden hose up to the intake hose from the pump. This should clear any debris that is loose. If its a rock you may have to do some proding. Did you ever hook your exit line up?
I found this on Squirtchas? home page
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/files/diagramjet.gif
Hope it helps.

advantage21
06-20-2005, 08:37 PM
something else to think about do you have a droop snoot if so you might have a air bubble in the bowl mine does this on some ramps and i have to manually bleed the bowl of air that will also cause it not to pump water.