PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy used tires?

Cole
06-20-2005, 09:34 AM
I need to buy some new tires and was thinking about BF Goodrich All Terraines for my 02 duramax, and going with a larger tire....maybe 33s/285s. Well I priced them out and they are very expensive $175.00 per tire....so i went down to the used tire shop and found 4 good BFs for $75.00 installed. I thought cool what a great deal...but my buddy was saying that he would NEVER buy used especially if i am driving back and forth to the river in 120 degree weather...So he has me thinking twice about my used tires...
What do you think????? :confused:

Boozer
06-20-2005, 09:39 AM
I think you need to stop trying to be a cheap a$$ and buy some new tires. If you can afford an 02 truck with a Duramax you can afford to spend $700 on some tires. You're life and personal safety is dependant on the condition of the tires that your vehicle is rolling on. Is saving a couple hundred bucks worth risking your life and the lives of your passengers?

dmontzsta
06-20-2005, 09:41 AM
geez. I agree with Boozer. :)
I spend $700 on tires for all my shit, even one of my cars which is 10 years older than your duramax.
It is your life you are riding on.

superdave013
06-20-2005, 09:44 AM
I bought some used 35" BFG's once. Only because I wanted the Alco's they were mounted to. Heck, the tires looked ok, held air and I had the balance checked just for girns. I ended up getting around 40K on them.
A lot of people do a change to their truck and take off good tires just to have a set with more bling all the time.

H20 Toie
06-20-2005, 09:46 AM
if you are buying factory take offs it is one thing, but to buy used worn used tires is pretty iffy, they came off someone vechile for a reason,

06-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Would you buy a used condom?.....didn't think so :D

Cole
Ya, thats what my buddy told me.....why would you take a chance with used tires and the safty of everyone on board.

HOSS
Agree with superD. Just visually inspect them. Even after they are on the truck. Look for inconsistencies in the tread patch for popped belts.

HOSS
06-20-2005, 09:48 AM
I have. :idea:

Caribbean Jet
06-20-2005, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't buy used tires, but when I had my F250 lifted by buddy told me that if I wanted to save money check with a couple of lift shops that do alot of H2's because they come standard with 285's and they pay next to nothing for them even when they come right from the dealer. It might be an option for you.

NorCal Gameshow
06-20-2005, 09:52 AM
I put 70k on some take-offs before...
on used tires there was a issue with direction on break in and maintaining that direction or you would have ply separation. I don't know if that's still a problem...
EDIT--> direction not an issue :hammerhea
http://www.justtires.com/img/x-pattern.jpg

boater72
06-20-2005, 09:56 AM
if you are buying factory take offs it is one thing, but to buy used worn used tires is pretty iffy, they came off someone vechile for a reason,
This is the truth if there not buy new!

WYRD
06-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Well there is room for discussion here :idea:
as far as the tires go...........picture this.............aside from the safety concerns say you buy the used tires and save some $$.............you head out to the river and have a flat. Now you have to get out in 100and teen something weather look at the tire shot right? No road hazard so now you have to buy another tire lets say 50 dollars there. what if you bent a rim? that is at least 100 bucks......ok how did the tread come off? bang up a fender? how bout the boat trailer? scuff anything up? by now I am sure you are sweating your ballz off wishing you stayed home cause this river trip is already sucking and when it comes down to it how much did you really save now that it took you an hour and a half in the heat to change a tire.................Oh crap now you don't have a spare what if a second tire blows in this heat? How much will a tow truck cost? Man I am pissed now an it hasn't even happened yet!!!!! point being spend the money and get the new tires you will thank yourself in the long run :D

ROZ
06-20-2005, 10:00 AM
I bought a used car once... The tires were used, too....
I agree with hoss...

dmontzsta
06-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Here is another way to look at it (the way I look at things). If you are spending X amount of dollars, just put the little bit extra beyond that point to buy the good stuff, you will be much happier. :idea:

Speedin' Ian
06-20-2005, 10:04 AM
I bought used Procomps for my lifted F-250, got all four for $150.00 and I've had them for a year with no problems.

callbob4homes
06-20-2005, 10:05 AM
used condom?.................sure, just wash the f@ck out of it first! :idea:

AZKC
06-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Used tires are fine :cool: Everyone out there driving is on used tires once there mounted. What everybody buys new tires after 10-20000 miles :notam:
And besides it kinda like recycling. Road hazards are rip offs anywho :notam: Give them a good once over if they hold air and balance out good. Save that $600 for gas money :D

jackpunx
06-20-2005, 10:12 AM
even if the tires last all year.. You'll be buying piece of mind.. I spend alot of time in the rear view mirror looking at my trailer tires.. they are not old or warn.. but you never know..
A couple extra bucks on the front end will save you tons of headache..
think about what your time is worth..
what do they pay you at work..
if you spend 5hrs of your weekend or vacation time trying to fix the tire.. how much did it cost you anyway?
I figure my weekend or vacation rate is at least double my wadge.. so.. I get the best stuff I can on all our cars.
good luck on what ever you choose

Nate56
06-20-2005, 10:16 AM
I need to buy some new tires and was thinking about BF Goodrich All Terraines for my 02 duramax, and going with a larger tire....maybe 33s/285s. Well I priced them out and they are very expensive $175.00 per tire....so i went down to the used tire shop and found 4 good BFs for $75.00 installed. I thought cool what a great deal...but my buddy was saying that he would NEVER buy used especially if i am driving back and forth to the river in 120 degree weather...So he has me thinking twice about my used tires...
What do you think????? :confused:
Send those tires my way.. I can always use another set.. Funny this topic came up, I just bought some 35" bfg mud terrain with about half life on them this weekend from a guy.. You can't beat $100 for all 4 tires..

Sleek-Jet
06-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Used tires are fine :cool: Everyone out there driving is on used tires once there mounted. What everybody buys new tires after 10-20000 miles :notam:
And besides it kinda like recycling. Road hazards are rip offs anywho :notam: Give them a good once over if they hold air and balance out good. Save that $600 for gas money :D
You cheap focker... :D
So what do you guys that buy bigger tires for your newly lifted truck think that the tires you take off go??? Somebody is snatching those thing up.
I've bought a couple used sets of meats before. As long as the tread depth is good and they don't show any signs of damage or unusual wear, I would say they are good to go.

jackpunx
06-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Send those tires my way.. I can always use another set.. Funny this topic came up, I just bought some 35" bfg mud terrain with about half life on them this weekend from a guy.. You can't beat $100 for all 4 tires..
I got 4 more for you same tires.. $50
come get em..
I also have a canback for a longbed GMC and a Confer rack on it.. like new.. Black
Make an offer
mark

Nate56
06-20-2005, 10:41 AM
I got 4 more for you same tires.. $50
come get em..
I also have a canback for a longbed GMC and a Confer rack on it.. like new.. Black
Make an offer
mark
Hell the shipping on those tires would be about the same price for a new set.. I'm not making any trips to Cali anytime soon, hell you shouldn't have any trouble trying to sell them if you really wanted to..

topless
06-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Would you buy a used condom?.....didn't think so :DLMAO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Good comaprison. :D

06-20-2005, 10:50 AM
LMAO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Good comaprison. :D
Ya can't afford a blowout on either of 'em :2purples: :cry:

AZKC
06-20-2005, 10:58 AM
You cheap focker... :D
Thanks for noticing :skull: :rollside: :)

Nate56
06-20-2005, 11:03 AM
There's nothing wrong with being cheap,, Is shopping on ebay for everything you own consider you cheap.. I think not...HAHA It's called conservitive (spelling?).. Did you know you can buy clothes off there too.. Nothin wrong with ebay pants and shirts....

Nate56
06-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Don't know about undies though....

Ziggy
06-20-2005, 11:41 AM
I can't see how it makes much difference if they visually look good and not full of plugs and patches.......not any different than what AZKC said if you buy a used car.....
For that matter, 99.9% of use drive on used tires everyday because I'm sure we don't all drive a brand new car every day.
Being Frugile isn't being cheap... :cool:

ROZ
06-20-2005, 11:47 AM
To take this a step further... If it was a condom a buddy just used, you could turn it inside out. If the chick gets pregnant, it's his DNA... :D

Nate56
06-20-2005, 11:52 AM
To take this a step further... If it was a condom a buddy just used, you could turn it inside out. If the chick gets pregnant, it's his DNA... :D
Thats cold, but funny... You know the saying funny overrules everything so... I guess if it was in Arkansas then it would be legit, besides it's legal for you to screw your relatives...