PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for another boat?

gnarley
06-20-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm looking for ideas on another boat (USED). I have some criteria but not many ideas yet. We have 5 foot ite ess and are ready get a little bigger. Ours current boat runs plenty fast enough for a 20 (20' 6") and rides pretty good but the Delta can get wicked rough sometimes. We would like to get at least a 25' to make a difference and I don't want anything slower.
Criteria
Used 1996-2002
Length 25-26'
Locking cuddy
Total length on trailer with folding tongue if posible 29'
Total weight on trailer 5500 lbs
Windshield that actually deflects
Head
Sink
Microwave
70-80 MPH
21+ degree deadrise
Handles 3+ foot chop
Seating for 5-6
Bolsters would be a plus
FI 454-502
Any input or ideas would be helpful
Thanks

DeltaSigBoater
06-20-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm thinking... I'll get back to this

Kilrtoy
06-20-2005, 06:19 PM
You better step it up in size....for all that.....

essexjet
06-20-2005, 06:22 PM
with that big of a wish list, look a price also. It can go from 40,000 to 140,000

Tom Brown
06-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah, and throw twin turbines into the budget to get all that shit up to 70~80. :D

Froggystyle
06-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Boy do I have the boat for a Delta guy....
You forgot jetboat in your list... ;)

gnarley
06-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Size is the problem, I like the Nordic Heat but it weighs in at 5800 on the trailer, our RV is rated at 5500. The Heat also might be a bit long with an optional folding tongue. There are a few boats that might have what I'm looking for but there are a few to choose from like Lavey Nuera, Eliminator Eagle, Checkmate Convincer or others that I haven't thought of yet that might be close.

Froggystyle
06-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Size is the problem, I like the Nordic Heat but it weighs in at 5800 on the trailer, our RV is rated at 5500. The Heat also might be a bit long with an optional folding tongue. There are a few boats that might have what I'm looking for but there are a few to choose from like Lavey Nuera, Eliminator Eagle, Checkmate Convincer or others that I haven't thought of yet that might be close.
On the trailer with twin axles ours will weigh under 5500. 27 feet long.
Hell, you can play up in the sloughs with a jetboat!

Tom Brown
06-20-2005, 06:39 PM
He needs a spot for the girlies to wizz.
A deck boat would be a sweet companion toy for an RV, though. :cool:

Kilrtoy
06-20-2005, 06:44 PM
With that said... Add fuel and all the goodies and that boat is way over 5500 POUNDS....
My boat is 3800 with trailer coming in at 1800 that is a combined weight of 5600 and all the goodies im just shy of 7000 full loaded...

gnarley
06-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Hell, you can play up in the sloughs with a jetboat!
Wes, there is nowhere to sleep on yours is there? Is that 27 foot long total and yours is new and not in production yet. I don't mind letting someone else take the deprecation hit.

FASTERDAMITT
06-20-2005, 09:14 PM
I looked at the Nordic, but how do you get your family over the windshield when you beach it?

djunkie
06-20-2005, 09:17 PM
28 Howard Bullett :d

atomickitn
06-20-2005, 09:20 PM
27 dana ofshore,, might have one used :idea:

djunkie
06-20-2005, 09:22 PM
No!!!!!! 28 Bullett!! :D :D

djunkie
06-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Hey atomic, do you know they length of the 27 Dana from tongue of the trailer to the prop? Just wondering if it would fit in my garage.

Quality Time
06-20-2005, 09:38 PM
If you are looking for a microwave, keep in mind you will need shore power. They don't run on batteries. Cruiser style boats in the 25 to 27 foot range may full your bill, but not your need for speed. As menitoned above, if you want all that you have listed you need to go bigger. A 288 Sunsation can be had with all you list including the microwave, but you will be hard pressed to find any boat in the 25+ foot range with a total gross of 5500.
Best of Luck

gnarley
06-20-2005, 09:53 PM
If you are looking for a microwave, keep in mind you will need shore power. They don't run on batteries. Cruiser style boats in the 25 to 27 foot range may full your bill, but not your need for speed. As menitoned above, if you want all that you have listed you need to go bigger. A 288 Sunsation can be had with all you list including the microwave, but you will be hard pressed to find any boat in the 25+ foot range with a total gross of 5500.
Best of Luck
I've seen several 25's listed that weigh in @3700, then add the trailer and your nearing 5000, plus 80 gallons of fuel your right at 5500 lbs. I can haul other gear if needed in the RV. If I tow behind our Yukon I can go to 7800. I want to be able to tow behind both our rigs and 5500 is the limit on most class C motorhomes. I'd be interested to see a class C that is rated for more then 5500 lbs if anyone know of one.
I forgot to mention that for a microwave you don't need shore power, an inverter will work just fine, but thanks for the feedback.

BADASS38CHEVY
06-20-2005, 10:24 PM
All tow ratings are under rated for insurance purposes.Just make sure you have a trans cooler and oil cooler to keep things cool.I would say you have 500-1000 lbs to play with just make sure you have trailer brakes.I have pulled many time overloaded and been fine. Lavey Craft has a lighter boat compared to most because of the bolsa core structure,you might want to check Laveys out and compare.

RidinRed
06-20-2005, 11:07 PM
I looked at the Nordic, but how do you get your family over the windshield when you beach it?
You can climb over or could send them out the hatch, off the back and make them swim or, get an open/mid-cabin. Good for 63 (+-) mph w/ 496HO.

Quality Time
06-21-2005, 07:08 AM
I've seen several 25's listed that weigh in @3700, then add the trailer and your nearing 5000, plus 80 gallons of fuel your right at 5500 lbs. I can haul other gear if needed in the RV. If I tow behind our Yukon I can go to 7800. I want to be able to tow behind both our rigs and 5500 is the limit on most class C motorhomes. I'd be interested to see a class C that is rated for more then 5500 lbs if anyone know of one.
I forgot to mention that for a microwave you don't need shore power, an inverter will work just fine, but thanks for the feedback.
You are correct regarding the inverter, but additonal batts, the inverter etc, are all adding weight. If you want to trim some fat, may want to consider an aluminum trailer.
Best of Luck with your search, this is the fun part :smile:

gnarley
06-21-2005, 07:13 AM
All tow ratings are under rated for insurance purposes.Just make sure you have a trans cooler and oil cooler to keep things cool.I would say you have 500-1000 lbs to play with just make sure you have trailer brakes.I have pulled many time overloaded and been fine. Lavey Craft has a lighter boat compared to most because of the bolsa core structure,you might want to check Laveys out and compare.
Even though I could tow over the limit and you tow over the limit, what would happen in the event of emergency or an accident deemed your fault due to overloading? We have our rigs setup for towing, brakes are great and have trans coolers but I wouldn't want to be in a situation where weight was the issue, been-there-done-that, lesson learned. I was very lucky nothing happened when someone stopped in front of me once. I couldn't stop in time and went around and through a yellow light, if anyone else would have been in the intersection, I'd have hit them.
You are correct regarding the inverter, but additonal batts, the inverter etc, are all adding weight. If you want to trim some fat, may want to consider an aluminum trailer.
Best of Luck with your search, this is the fun part :smile:
How much do you figure an aluminum trailer weighs? I have thought about it before and I'm supprised you don't see more of them.

ChumpChange
06-21-2005, 07:24 AM
Hey atomic, do you know they length of the 27 Dana from tongue of the trailer to the prop? Just wondering if it would fit in my garage.
Just about 33', probably a little under. Fits in my 36' garage real nice.

Dave C
06-21-2005, 08:16 AM
gnarley,
I wouldn't overload your Class C by too much if it looked anything like mine. :hammer2: 2000 Tioga. They put some cheap ass c-channel frame rail extensions.
you need to talk to a metal fabricator. you can get that rating up but it costs some $$$... They need to add steel to the back of it and get a better hitch.
We added a lot of steel to mine. It was a pain in the ass, so pay someone to do it, unless you don't mind doing heavy work.
BTW, some boat manufacturers may be off on their weight "estimate" by like ummm.... 50% ;) ;) so go find a scale and get the "true weight" Mine was 1800 lbs heavier than "estimated" without gas!!!! :2purples:
I want to be able to tow behind both our rigs and 5500 is the limit on most class C motorhomes. I'd be interested to see a class C that is rated for more then 5500 lbs if anyone know of one.

Quality Time
06-21-2005, 09:18 AM
How much do you figure an aluminum trailer weighs? I have thought about it before and I'm supprised you don't see more of them.[/QUOTE]
My tri-axle aluminum, 12,500# capacity, stainless discs on each axle, weighs approx. 1575 #'s. They aren't as pretty as a painted, but the maintenance is consdierably less.

ITS ALL GOOD
06-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Boy do I have the boat for a Delta guy....
You forgot jetboat in your list... ;)
Whats the latest update on the progress???

surfer2001
06-21-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm looking for ideas on another boat (USED). I have some criteria but not many ideas yet. We have 5 foot ite ess and are ready get a little bigger. Ours current boat runs plenty fast enough for a 20 (20' 6") and rides pretty good but the Delta can get wicked rough sometimes. We would like to get at least a 25' to make a difference and I don't want anything slower.
Criteria
Used 1996-2002
Length 25-26'
Locking cuddy
Total length on trailer with folding tongue if posible 29'
Total weight on trailer 5500 lbs
Head
Sink
Microwave
70-80 MPH
21+ degree deadrise
Handles 3+ foot chop
Seating for 5-6
Bolsters would be a plus
FI 454-502
Any input or ideas would be helpful
Thanks
Nordic Rage
Except for:
Locking cuddy
Head
Sink
Microwave

gnarley
06-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Dave C, we have a Tioga also it's a 94 and I had to re-arch the springs during the winter and added 2 extra leafs to give some extra lift. Now we don't drag the hitch on uneven transitions when leaving some driveways. I have heard about reinforcing the rear and changing the hitch but that still doesn't address manufactures tow rating if you ever had a problem does it?