PDA

View Full Version : Diet Soda Can Make You Fat

Boozer
06-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Interesting article I just read.
I don't know how many of you drink diet soda but I made the switch not all that long ago. Even after reading this article however I think I'll still stick to diet.
June 13, 2005 -- People who drink diet soft drinks don't lose weight. In fact, they gain weight, a new study shows.
The findings come from eight years of data collected by Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio. Fowler reported the data at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.
"What didn't surprise us was that total soft drink use was linked to overweight and obesity," Fowler tells WebMD. "What was surprising was when we looked at people only drinking diet soft drinks, their risk of obesity was even higher."
In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas.
"There was a 41% increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day," Fowler says.
More Diet Drinks, More Weight Gain
Fowler's team looked at seven to eight years of data on 1,550 Mexican-American and non-Hispanic white Americans aged 25 to 64. Of the 622 study participants who were of normal weight at the beginning of the study, about a third became overweight or obese.
For regular soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:
26% for up to 1/2 can each day
30.4% for 1/2 to one can each day
32.8% for 1 to 2 cans each day
47.2% for more than 2 cans each day.
For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:
36.5% for up to 1/2 can each day
37.5% for 1/2 to one can each day
54.5% for 1 to 2 cans each day
57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.
For each can of diet soft drink consumed each day, a person's risk of obesity went up 41%.

a catered life
06-21-2005, 09:16 AM
so that explains why i can lose the belly :cry: dam diet soda :yuk: and i thought it was the pork rinds the whole time :smile:

Brooski
06-21-2005, 11:26 AM
so that explains why i can lose the belly :cry: dam diet soda :yuk: and i thought it was the pork rinds the whole time :smile:
No kidding. I was always thinking I couldnt lose the belly because of all the beer I drank and the fast food I ate. :cool:

Nord
06-21-2005, 11:32 AM
I eat as much as I want and never gain a pound, it kinda bugs!!! :D

JustMVG
06-21-2005, 11:39 AM
I eat as much as I want and never gain a pound, it kinda bugs!!! :D
You Bastard :D Skinny little F**ks, i work out, diet and exercise you guys make me sick, or is it just petty jealousy. :D
What the ADA does not say is that the non sugar substitutes, Aspartame, saccharin, still make sugars in the body, and if the body does not get rid of the excess sugars then yes folks will gain weight, i'll bet most of the folks on the Diet soda were most likelyType 2 diabetics......

RiverToysJas
06-21-2005, 11:48 AM
More Diet Drinks, More Weight Gain
That article is very incomplete. They fail to mention how something with no calories makes you fat. In and of itself, that is not possible. Perhaps people who drink artifical sugar give in to craving more of the real thing in other ways? I don't know. I do know that drinking a beverage w/o any calories won't make you gain weight. There a number of other things to consider.
RTJas :D

RiverToysJas
06-21-2005, 11:49 AM
What the ADA does not say is that the non sugar substitutes, Aspartame, saccharin, still make sugars in the body, and if the body does not get rid of the excess sugars then yes folks will gain weight, i'll bet most of the folks on the Diet soda were most likelyType 2 diabetics......
They don't say that because it's a wives tail. ;) They do not make suger in the body.

JustMVG
06-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Au Contraire mon frere' Everything that goes into your body is turned into a sugar, and most folks who drink diet instead of regular think they can eat more to make up for that, thus the potential to gain instead of lose, all things in moderation.....

ROZ
06-21-2005, 12:05 PM
This is great news!!!!
Now my In-N-Out orders will consist of an animalized 3x3 combo with a chocolate shake and a regular coke instead of diet coke! :D

RiverToysJas
06-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Au Contraire mon frere' Everything that goes into your body is turned into a sugar, and most folks who drink diet instead of regular think they can eat more to make up for that, thus the potential to gain instead of lose, all things in moderation.....
Ah.....I thought you were talking about blood sugar.....which is turned to energy, which is calories.
I totally agree with the second half of your statement though. You can get your daily calories other ways if you are not getting them from your drinks, but you have to be careful not to over do it. 32oz of regular soda is nearly 400 calories though.

ROZ
06-21-2005, 12:14 PM
I put 5lbs of sugar and 30oz of creamer in a pot of coffee, and the craff to work. Do you think there may be any ramifications ?

JustMVG
06-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Ah.....I thought you were talking about blood sugar.....which is turned to energy, which is calories.
I totally agree with the second half of your statement though. You can get your daily calories other ways if you are not getting them from your drinks, but you have to be careful not to over do it. 32oz of regular soda is nearly 400 calories though.
Put out more energy than you put in and you'll lose weight, bottom line!!!
And the sugars the body converts do eventually get into the bloodstream and are regulated by the pancreas which makes the insulin to regulate the bodies sugar levels. Had to go to a diabete's seminar with the wife and learned me a bunch o stuff.
Whew now i gotta go have a diet Pepsi. And a 4x4 with fries, thanks Roz!!! You just had to put In N Out on the screen , thanks. :D

RiverToysJas
06-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Put out more energy than you put in and you'll lose weight, bottom line!!!
That's how I've lost 30 pounds so far this year. ;)

Boozer
06-21-2005, 12:47 PM
How much better do you feel? I've lost 40 lbs since January and Holy Sh*t what a difference!

Boozer
06-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Oh yeah Congrats!

mickeyfinn
06-21-2005, 12:49 PM
I think the key to this study is the fact that if you look around you most of the people who are drinking diet drinks already have some level of being overweight in their history. Also how many times have you been to the convienence store and seen some 400 lb porker by a candy bar and a diet drink. The key to losing weight is as stated above, "burn more energy than you consume". There are some people who started drinking diet drinks to avoid gaining weight and got to the point they preferred them over regular, there are some people who drink diet drinks for other reasons like diabetes. Bottom line is there is no "magic" to losing weight. you have to work at it. EVERYONE who is overweight could overcome it by exercise alone, as long as you burn more than you eat. And before some of you porkers out there start flaming away at being insensitive towards fat folk, I am talking to myself as well. I know I need to lose weight, I know that there is no substitute for energy and I know that controlling your intake is part of it, however losing weight is just like quitting smoking, no one can do it unless they actually want too. And I don't mean that they would like to lose it, I mean WANT IT!!. Enough to work for it. For a lot of us we are so busy "working" for a living doing jobs that don't provide the needed amount of activity that we don't have time to "work out" to keep our weight down, at least that is what we tell ourselves. Any one of us could find the time to "work out", we just don't.

BarryMac
06-21-2005, 12:51 PM
I put 5lbs of sugar and 30oz of creamer in a pot of coffee, and the craff to work. Do you think there may be any ramifications ?
Yeap, you'll end up with Tom Brown syndrome, you'll have to do your most important posting while sitting on the toilet making a very mushy sewer pickle...

Boozer
06-21-2005, 12:54 PM
I think the key to this study is the fact that if you look around you most of the people who are drinking diet drinks already have some level of being overweight in their history. Also how many times have you been to the convienence store and seen some 400 lb porker by a candy bar and a diet drink. The key to losing weight is as stated above, "burn more energy than you consume". There are some people who started drinking diet drinks to avoid gaining weight and got to the point they preferred them over regular, there are some people who drink diet drinks for other reasons like diabetes. Bottom line is there is no "magic" to losing weight. you have to work at it. EVERYONE who is overweight could overcome it by exercise alone, as long as you burn more than you eat. And before some of you porkers out there start flaming away at being insensitive towards fat folk, I am talking to myself as well. I know I need to lose weight, I know that there is no substitute for energy and I know that controlling your intake is part of it, however losing weight is just like quitting smoking, no one can do it unless they actually want too. And I don't mean that they would like to lose it, I mean WANT IT!!. Enough to work for it. For a lot of us we are so busy "working" for a living doing jobs that don't provide the needed amount of activity that we don't have time to "work out" to keep our weight down, at least that is what we tell ourselves. Any one of us could find the time to "work out", we just don't.
It's to bad there isn't a way for overweight people to spend one single day in a healthy persons body. If it were possible, I think more people would get into shape and take the neccessary measures to keep themselves in shape.

ROZ
06-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Yeap, you'll end up with Tom Brown syndrome, you'll have to do your most important posting while sitting on the toilet making a very mushy sewer pickle...
Yep, Hammerdown is my mentor... :D

HocusPocus
06-21-2005, 01:03 PM
i only drink water. it took me almost 2 1/2 weeks to kick the soda caffeine habit. :)

RiverToysJas
06-21-2005, 01:04 PM
How much better do you feel? I've lost 40 lbs since January and Holy Sh*t what a difference!
Thanks! I definately feel better! I've already passed my first wight goal, and I'm on my way to the second. I'm leveling off at each goal and maintaining it. I'm intentionally losing it slow, because I don't want it back. It's a lifestyle change for me.
Congrats to you as well, that's great!!!
......off to have some more green tea.... :D

JustMVG
06-21-2005, 01:15 PM
It's to bad there isn't a way for overweight people to spend one single day in a healthy persons body. If it were possible, I think more people would get into shape and take the neccessary measures to keep themselves in shape.
Most Over weight people were healthy people at one time, and for whatever the reason, got heavy found it was easier to be heavy than expend the time and energy to stay where they were, oh and don't forget the Super size me at every known fast food outlet in America.... Although some have now gone back to what could be considered regular sizes dropping the wading pool cups.