PDA

View Full Version : blower help needed=efi

RACER52
06-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Well I have been having some problems and am gonna try to water again
this evening. Thought I would see what opinions I get from this wealth of
knowledge here on the forums.
I had an issue with lack of water and cracked a set of Gil offshore manifolds and let a little water in the oil. tore down the engine and all looked good. Called lightening and had a custom set made to clear the
Quad Rotor Whipple set up and installed.
Went to go test and the boat would not accelerate and never did get on plane.. hooked up my laptop and tried like hell (5 hours in the water) boat would always start and idle/acc in nuetral. Put it in gear and idle out of the 5 and would never even get a few hundred rrr's. The next week tried again and had to give 200% more fuel than normal to get the boat on plane and so on to get more rr's.. Ran for about 15 minutes and re-mapped up to 4k rpms's and 85mph.. Then shut down and when restarted it was back to shit again.
I found low voltage,and a bad abttery so I had my alt. rebuilt.. Also ordered and installed a new map sensor..
Any thoughts on what to look for tonight????
Getting really frustrated with this shit...
Racer52

MOBrien
06-21-2005, 12:05 PM
dump it and build up that Scarab :2purples: :2purples:
:D j/k Troy. Good luck with it. You gonna run B2B this year??
later,
MOB

Huffer
06-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Sounds Seriuos!

RACER52
06-21-2005, 02:31 PM
it cant be that bad. gotta be a simple computer issue..
Yes on the Bridge to Bridge..
Actually I/my company is sponsering the majority of it and I'll be doing
some talking at the drivers meeting :eek:
Racer

cdog
06-21-2005, 02:57 PM
You've got the holley efi right? Have you tried to re-load the older map that was working correctly? I had that happen once. It was real strange, went home and loaded the program again and it was fine. Did you know holley now has a upgrade and a wideband sensor kit for the holley box. I had Al Fonse rebuild my engine after speed o motive fuct me and the engine runs real strong now with the wide band kit. Talk to Al Fonse. He's real helpful.

RACER52
06-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I already bought the innovate wide band a/f computer with an actual
a/f guage on the dash. It works great and was able to tune more in 30min.
than all last year..
I have re-loaded atleast 5 different maps into it and no change..
I'll find out tonight..
I will look into the upgrades. they have upgrades for more than just the
o2..
It was perfect before I popped the heads off and put it back togther with
headers on it?????
Racer

cdog
06-21-2005, 03:32 PM
It sounds like you have a bad sensor.

RACER52
06-21-2005, 03:41 PM
ya, but which one???
the lap top shows everything working like normal
Maybe tomorrow I'll be posting
trade f.i quad rotor for carb set-up :messedup:
Racer

steveo143
06-21-2005, 05:39 PM
one word HOLLEY.
streveo143

ELIMINAT THIS
06-22-2005, 08:31 AM
RACER do we need to start looking for a carb setup or what. :supp:

RACER52
06-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Its funny we get so wrapped up in trying to fix everything ourselves that I never even thought of calling Holley..
Water tested last night and I'm getting closer. I was able to get it ti run and get on plane. Was able to tune it up to 3500-4000 rpms and it ran good. I will now pull all my injectors and see if they are clogged or dirty..
Anyone ever have an injector problem after running AV-gas for 8 days straight???
Saturday I will test again with someone else driving so I can tune. It was just the wife and I last night so it was drive and check, drive and check.
But we tuned for about an hour then drove down to Taco Tuesday at Windmill Cove.
Racer====NO CARBS :wink:

acatitude
06-22-2005, 01:32 PM
glad to see its getting there racer

Unchained
06-22-2005, 01:33 PM
I know that the first reaction is to make some major changes to the fuel maps but if it ran good before dissassembly and different after reassembly it probably doesnt have anything to do with the fuel maps or any sensors unless one got damaged.
Is it possible that when you reinstalled the distributor you got the phasing off a tooth? This would only apply if you are using a crank trigger setup with a hall effect sensor.
I had the distributor phasing off a tooth when I first fired up this year and it would still run but ran like sheite. A few minutes of rechecking things and I found the problem.
How about cam timing? is it possible that may be off a tooth? If you're triggering the EFI through the distributor that would change also.
Good luck.
Mark
616 813 7237

RACER52
06-22-2005, 02:52 PM
I think I have narrowed ot down and will verify tomorrow..
I got it to run by remapping only the fuel system(adding more)
I have picked a few brains and have come to the conclusion that maybe a few pins on the fuel injector harness may have pushed out. I dbl checked
already but have not put a noid light to them..
This would make sense due to it running by adding more fuel % to the injectors. Since all of the injectors are infront of the blowers it was still running on all cylinders just lean..
:2purples:
Unchained the distributer is an GM electronic(no hall effect) but I have already dbl and triple checked the timing. Thank you for the info..
I'll keep you all posted..
Racer

cdog
06-22-2005, 03:45 PM
I think I have narrowed ot down and will verify tomorrow..
I got it to run by remapping only the fuel system(adding more)
I have picked a few brains and have come to the conclusion that maybe a few pins on the fuel injector harness may have pushed out. I dbl checked
already but have not put a noid light to them..
This would make sense due to it running by adding more fuel % to the injectors. Since all of the injectors are infront of the blowers it was still running on all cylinders just lean..
:2purples:
Unchained the distributer is an GM electronic(no hall effect) but I have already dbl and triple checked the timing. Thank you for the info..
I'll keep you all posted..
Racer
I had a problem with my harness connecting because of a bad crimp on one of the pins that go from the harness to the computer cable. I could not connect my computer to the ecu. I had holley send me a new one.

tsnave
06-22-2005, 06:40 PM
Just a thought here but Aviation fuel has a much higher lead content than traditional fuel and may have built up in your injectors. Not an expert on EFI by any means but this may be the cause for your increased need for fuel. Just reverting to the basics as you mentioned running Aviation fuel for 8 days...

RACER52
06-23-2005, 08:46 AM
tonights the night. I will check all connections at the pins and will also
be cleaning the injectors..
If its not one of those 2 issues I'm screwed.
thanks for the input..
Racer

cdog
06-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Just a thought here but Aviation fuel has a much higher lead content than traditional fuel and may have built up in your injectors. Not an expert on EFI by any means but this may be the cause for your increased need for fuel. Just reverting to the basics as you mentioned running Aviation fuel for 8 days...
Av gas with lead will kill your O2 sensor and may give you false readings. Check your manual. I have the innovate and the holley wideband and they both say no leaded fuel.

Unchained
06-23-2005, 11:59 AM
I run 110 leaded fuel with a wide band O2 sensor.
It has worked fine for me.
I haven't found the readings to vary any from when I first installed it.
I think it's one of those items that either works or not as opposed to giving false readings.
Leaded fuel certainly does shorten the life of the sensor. The folks at Innovative told me that it may only last for 10,000 miles in a car. That's about 2 lifetimes in a boat.
The wideband O2 sensor is an off the shelf item from the VW dealer.
It's the one that comes stock on a turbo VW bug.
They're about $ 50. no major expense.

acatitude
06-23-2005, 01:15 PM
good luck tonight Troy, hope it all comes together.

RACER52
06-23-2005, 03:44 PM
yes the o2 sensors go bad quikly..
Race gas is not near as bad as av gas.
The life span with straight AV-gas is about 3-4 days. Havent fouled one
on race gas as I usually only run a tank before switching back to 91.
Down in Havasu over those 8 days I went through 2 sensors.
Also killed the innovate wide band o2. (so actually 3 sensors)
and yes they work or they dont. The innovate guage read perfect till one
time I shut it down and later restarted and the guage actually said
improper reading and stopped..
The holley o2 goes south slower and you can tell at an idel when its bad..
Welded in the bung for the innovate today on my new headers.
Sucks cause they were perfect and now the candy powder coat isnt so candy anymore..
Racer

HP350SC
06-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Troy- Did you check your idle bypass valves again? They fail pretty often, which allows a vacuum leak at idle and they also bleed off boost when you are on it. Pull the hose off and see if you can blow or suck past the valve(s) . There is a new kevlar diaphragm that will be, or is already available. Is your map sensor tee'd into the lines to the bypass valves?
BTW, do you need me to send a bung for the riser I sent you?

RACER52
06-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Well we made some progress. Found very contaminated fuel lines and
rails. The injectors were clean at the nozzle's but didnt look good. Tested
all the injectors and 2 were bad, one was slow.. So I'm gonna put the
original ones from whipple back in and see what happens.
Had lots to clean from corrosion and water going through the system.
If you have f.i whipple system then you should check your rails. The plugs
whipple used on the bottom of the injector manifolds are steel and the different metals around the injectors created alot of corrosion.(i think)
I will put it all back together in the morning and head to the water. :notam:
Hp350=ya why dont you send me one. Order a stainless one. We looked at your riser last night and it will work and be clean if I can install right about the manifold. 2-3" above where they mate. If you would like it further down the riser than it will require a little patch on the outside to be able to weld and seal the inner jacket..
I think it will be fine right near the manifold. Thats where both mine were on my Gil's..
Racer

RACER52
06-24-2005, 09:40 AM
oh and the bypass valves are fine and the map sensor get its reading
from under the blowers.. Pulled one of the plugs off the side of the blower housing.. Also on the other blower same spot is where I get my reading for the guage.
Racer

deltarat
06-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Racer I am going out tomorrow, am I going to see that bad ass boat of your in the water some where? Maybe stop for a soda or something?

RACER52
06-24-2005, 11:22 AM
I will be at the shop about 7:30 am to put it back together.. Call me when you hit the water.. 209-986-5588 leave a message and I'll try to meet up
with ya..
Racer

Turbo 66
06-25-2005, 07:48 PM
What kind of help do you need?

RACER52
06-27-2005, 08:40 AM
We the boats all back to normal and running strong..
Pulled the fuel systen and it looked terrible. Obviously got water in the fuel system and the av gas/water combo corroded parts of the fuel system and also killed 3 injectors. This is why I could get it to run by increasing the fuel mapping..
Thanks for all the input and hope to see you all on the water..
Racer

TPI
07-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Not familiar with the holley stuff, but innermittant problems after a mechanical overhaul is often ground related. If you have a loose ground on the back of the block..........Bingo. It is an easy check, and it has happened to the best builders. Good luck.
GT