PDA

View Full Version : roller rockers ford 460

szokejohn2
06-21-2005, 05:00 PM
how many of you jet boaters use roller rockers,and do they create more horsepower.I cant seem to find a decent set of them.People claim that you can get up to 40 HP with them.

atxwrangler
06-21-2005, 05:33 PM
that is what my friend and boat enthusiast + certified ford mechanic for 17 years assured me, i am going to order the harland sharp roller rocker out of jegs for my ford 460, item # 851-4005 i believe.i am also adding a nice cam, and possibly doing some exhaust side porting on my heads. :cool:

460 WJ
06-21-2005, 05:33 PM
My Harland Sharps work great... I would say 40 -50 HP..

Squirtcha?
06-21-2005, 06:08 PM
I've heard good things about the Harland Sharps however, I spoke to some folks on various message boards that had clearance issues with the springs. It's possible that it was bunk, but rather than risk it, I went with these. The price is a little higher, but not terrible. $265 per set of 16.
http://www.jegs.com/photos/2491301.jpg
They're made with chromemoly steel and are slimmer (supposedly stronger too) than the aluminum types.
Comp Cams Pro Magnum Rocker Arms
Before Comp Cams introduced the Pro Magnum RockerArms there were only two alternatives in competition rocker arms: Stainless Steel for strength and reliability or Aluminum for light weight and low cost. Pro Magnum Rockers are made of 8650 chromemoly steel. This material is stronger than 7075-T6 aluminum which is used for most aluminum rocker arms.
Strength was added where it was needed and reduced mass in low stress areas. The result: Pro Magnum Rocker Arms have less weight (5%) at the valve than most aluminum rockers. This means more RPM and valve train stability.
The design of the Pro Magnum Rocker enables Comp Cams to use a larger trunion with more needle bearings. This spreads the load more evenly and the rocker will last longer. Other features include an integral pushrod seat that insures accuracy and saves weight, a unique rocker design also provides plenty of clearance for most high performance valve springs.

spectras only
06-21-2005, 06:20 PM
I've used speedpro rollers on BBF's with no issues . Prefer the compcams s/s ,that I have for the LS-6 in my V-drive boat.

NELSON#109
06-21-2005, 07:00 PM
i use harlan sharp on my 496 ford, 914 hp.. and havent had any problems, but my heads use chevy hardware and these are chev rockers... ive heard a few people complain about the harlan sharps, but like i said theyre workin good for me in a big hp unblown no NOS engine. if i ever replace them ill go with crane gold, but im not sure if they make them for fords. i dont think ill ever need to replace these, but we'll see... nelson#109

steelcomp
06-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I would bet the TFS heads are set up to use BBChev rockers, but just in case anyone's thinking of going cheap and using Chev rockers on their stock Ford or Motorsport CJ heads, I'll tell you right now you're giving away hp. There are big differences between the two, and all you have to do is put the two next to eachother and see. For the discerning eye, it's obvious. For the not so discerning, it dosen't look like much, but it is. Trust me. Just FYI.

NELSON#109
06-21-2005, 11:24 PM
yes my tfs heads are made to run chevy rockers.... i too wouldnt want to see chev stuff on somthin it wasnt ment to go on... my engine runs all sorts of chev garb.. chev headers, chev rods, ect..... funky stuff, but i guess thats how you make a ford run right.... lol. steel, you planning on showin at the race this weekend? it should be a good one... "Beat It" Nelson#109

LakesOnly
06-22-2005, 07:28 AM
how many of you jet boaters use roller rockers,and do they create more horsepower.I cant seem to find a decent set of them.People claim that you can get up to 40 HP with them.
If you have D3VE heads with the pedestal rocker valve train, you will need more than the regular components (roller rockers, locknuts, guideplates, etc.) in order to make the change...you will ALSO need to macnine the cylinder heads. A simple mod, but just beware.
LO

Danhercules
06-22-2005, 07:34 AM
I am running Pro Form rollers. I got them for $188.
No problems here so far.

LakesOnly
06-22-2005, 07:37 AM
that is what my friend and boat enthusiast + certified ford mechanic for 17 years assured me, i am going to order the harland sharp roller rocker out of jegs for my ford 460, item # 851-4005 i believe.i am also adding a nice cam, and possibly doing some exhaust side porting on my heads. :cool:
Harland Sharps are great rockers. Just keep in mind that some people have issues with setting them up because the overall configuration of the Harland Sharp rocker is different than most others, and sometimes requires more "finesse" to get the correct valve train geometery.
My vote is for the Crane Gold Series, the FRPP Roller Rockers (which is a blue anodized Crane Gold Series), and a few others. Makes life easier.
LO

FILUCKY
06-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Two to three hundred bucks, man those were the good 'ol days my new BBF motor runs the C460(Yates) heads and my rocker setup was almost 1500.00. But my spare motor runs A460 heads with crane gold's (chevy)rockers and i'm very happy with crane stuff.

roostwear
06-22-2005, 07:59 AM
I have D3s and have been looking at these for some time. As I remember reading, the advantage to a roller rocker is in the reduced friction in the trunion, not at the valve tip. The other benefit is a more accurate ratio, but in a milder engine, what net effect would the ratio make? Anyone run these?
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/crn-36806-16.jpg

LakesOnly
06-22-2005, 08:03 AM
The roller fulcrums pictured above are nice but cost almost as much as a whole roller rocker arm kit themselves. And your still left without the rocker's roller tip...also, the pushrod cup on the stock rockers can't handle much lift (and requisite spring pressure) before being pushed through by the pushrod. Nice to have the option available, though.
LO

roostwear
06-22-2005, 08:10 AM
I've looked at them for my app because I don't have alot of cam ( 230@.050, 565?) and D3s with stock rockers. If I were to step up and do more head work, I'd probably get a set of D0VEs and go full roller rocker. For $200, these conversions might pick up enough to make it worth it.

kp216
06-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Does anyone have any information on these roller rockers from Ohio Crankshaft? BBF set 7/16" 1.73 ratio is $139.00.
http://www.ohiocrank.com/images/rockers_lg.jpg

78Miller460
06-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Does anyone have any feedback regarding the pedestal mount roller rockers by Scorpion?

steelcomp
06-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Lakeswrote:Harland Sharps are great rockers. Just keep in mind that some people have issues with setting them up because the overall configuration of the Harland Sharp rocker is different than most others, and sometimes requires more "finesse" to get the correct valve train geometery.
Could you explain that??

steelcomp
06-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Just remember guys, rockers are a lot like anything else...you get what you pay for. If you're running mild spring pressures and not much more than stock lift, you can go cheap, but if you;re getting into heavy springs and a lot of motion, do your homework. If you'r running a solid roller, don't go cheap...you'll be sorry. The Sharps seem to have proven themselves, but I was skeptical for a long time. The rest of this off shore stuff just isn't worth risking the rest of your motor to save a few bucks. you break a rocker, and it can be disasterous!! My .02 :D

Blown 472
06-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Buy a set of crowers and forget about them.

LakesOnly
06-22-2005, 09:02 PM
Could you explain that??
Comp, just trying to keep it simple for everybody here...and suggesting the bolt-on replacement rockers rather than those that may require more attention to set-up.
I'm actually not totally sure (with hard numbers and all), but Harland Sharps seem to differ in their configuration over the other makes I mentioned. It's as though the roller rip-to-trunion is a longer dimension, or something...some people have trouble setting up their valve train geometry with them; the roller tip is too far outboard on the valve stem tip, and altering pushrod length in order to bring the roller tip into place causes other clearance issues and/or geometry is then incorrect in another way.
But since you inquired, all of this can be alleviated by getting longer rocker studs (I know you just figured out the rest).
Just trying to keep rocker choices simple for those here that ask; this isn't an engine build forum...
LO