PDA

View Full Version : Oh Crap!

welk2party
06-22-2005, 10:26 AM
The wifes grandmother fell last night and it looks like she may have broken her hip. She is 72 and not in the best of health. At her age I would highly doubt she would be up for a hip replacement or something similar. Does anyone know about these kind of injuries? I hope this is not the begining of the end... :frown: It would seem like she would have to be moved to a home and that would be a blow to her spirit...add to that she would have no mobility due to being in a wheelchair. I hope my wife can stay strong. She is very close to her grandparents.

badtaste
06-22-2005, 10:28 AM
you'd be surprised by the older folks... my grandfather was in bad health when he broke his hip. He had in his mind that he was going to keep going, even though his body was detiororating (sp?) Keep the spirits up, as best as you can. My thoughts to your family.

WYRD
06-22-2005, 10:31 AM
My grandfather fell at 94 and broke his hip. After about 6 weeks of bed rest he slowly started walking again with a walker. I wish your family the best. :smile:

welk2party
06-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Well these are definately encouraging...I am waiting by the phone to get the prognosis.

Mandelon
06-22-2005, 10:36 AM
My grandmother had a hip break during a fall and she went down hill pretty fast....but my mom is in her 80's and has broken her ankle and wrist and just keeps powering along. Despite Parkinsons and 40 years of diabetes.....
Hard to tell. Get good medical care, proper nutrition, supplements and aggressive physical therapy and she should be alright. Old folks don't like to eat much, but she needs calcium, phosporus and such to help her get back on track.
Best of luck.

BarryMac
06-22-2005, 10:37 AM
My Grandmother broke a hip and was back up in about six weeks, then a month later she broke the other one same scenario about six weeks later she was back to the mall, slowly but she was back shopping.

NOTALENT
06-22-2005, 10:42 AM
sorry to hear about that bro...my prayers go out to her...hope she feels better and stays strong throughout. just give her the love and support she needs and anything is possible.

welk2party
06-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks everyone.
UPDATE
She broker her hip and twisted her leg at the same time. The cardiologist cleared her for surgery which was hurdle 1. Now the surgeon and his team are putting the surgical plan together to fix the hip and repair her leg. She is in good spirits despite the pain so that is good news. My wife seems to be handling things well, which I am thankful for.
So it would seem that she may come out of this fine based on everyones experiences so far. :D :clover:

Boozer
06-22-2005, 10:53 AM
When people reach that age it becomes a game of mind over matter. Some choose to heal up, get better, and move on. Other choose to slow down and pass away.
If her grandmother is a strong woman then I'd say you don't have a whole lot to worry about. A persons will to live is far more powerful then a doctors diagnosis.

Ziggy
06-22-2005, 10:59 AM
My mother-in-law's husband is in his mid 80's and recently had a accident where he fell thru a floor...busted up his ankle real bad and a few ribs broke...he recovered remarkable fast IMO....couple months and he's back at all his old tricks and house remodeling duties. The broken ankle recovery was the surprise to me, he's not exactly a small guy.
Hopefully your wifes GM will have the same results and recover quickly.. :wink: