PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tow a twin engine boat w/ an H2?

TCS T
06-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Looking to tow my 28' Daytona w/ twin 496's on a 400 mile each way trip. I have a Diesel Ford but I just like the comfort of the H2 better. Does anybody have any experience towing this type of distance with this vehicle? Hummer claims only 6700lbs gross tow weight, but I have just installed a Magnusson Supercharger and I special ordered the Lux series w/ the Adventure pkg. rear air bags. I have seen an H2 with a 28' Daytona behind it, just not sure of overheating or overloading the bags! Any input from Hummer owners would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

sigepmock
06-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Not sure if this will help but I used to tow my WW toy hauler, 12,000 lbs loaded, with my Chevy 2500HD. It had the 6.0L motor and a Whipple supercharger, air bags in the rear 35 inch tires and 4.56's. It towed it very well, only time it wanted to overheat was when I fought a big head wind and really had to push for long periods of time. Other than that it towed very well. Just watch for when the tranny starts to slip the torque converter, all that power and the tranny slipping can heat the tranny really fast. I would just get out of it a little until the torque converter would lock up again and then it was fine. I had the 4L85E not sure if the H2 has the same or the 4L60?
Hope this helps,
Chris

Cole Trickle
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
We tow our 28' Sleek fully loaded with no problem.(Prob. 7,000+ lbs)
Hills will come and go in 2ng gear around 50mph
I have no idea what that daytona with twins tips the scale at but I think you will be fine with the Magnacharger.
Oh yeah!
Keep a gas station in sight if you have to stay in the boost for long periods of time. :hammerhea :hammerhea
Brandin

jackpunx
06-22-2005, 12:22 PM
I got a buddy that towed his 29' Fountain with his H2..
He ended up buying a ford truck and keeping the h2 for his wife

djunkie
06-22-2005, 12:24 PM
I got a buddy that towed his 29' Fountain with his H2..
He ended up buying a ford truck and keeping the h2 for his wife
Baller :smile:

djunkie
06-22-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm thought the H2 was basically the same chassis and drive train as a Tahoe. But I could be wrong.

jackpunx
06-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Baller :smile:
Yea.. kinda.. but.. the H2 couldnt do the job.. wheel base was to short..

TCS T
06-22-2005, 12:28 PM
We tow our 28' Sleek fully loaded with no problem.(Prob. 7,000+ lbs)
Hills will come and go in 2ng gear around 50mph
I have no idea what that daytona with twins tips the scale at but I think you will be fine with the Magnacharger.
Oh yeah!
Keep a gas station in sight if you have to stay in the boost for long periods of time. :hammerhea :hammerhea
Brandin
Thanks, the daytona is supposed to weigh 6500lbs plus 1500lbs for the triple axle extreme trailer = 8000lbs apx.?

TCS T
06-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Not sure if this will help but I used to tow my WW toy hauler, 12,000 lbs loaded, with my Chevy 2500HD. It had the 6.0L motor and a Whipple supercharger, air bags in the rear 35 inch tires and 4.56's. It towed it very well, only time it wanted to overheat was when I fought a big head wind and really had to push for long periods of time. Other than that it towed very well. Just watch for when the tranny starts to slip the torque converter, all that power and the tranny slipping can heat the tranny really fast. I would just get out of it a little until the torque converter would lock up again and then it was fine. I had the 4L85E not sure if the H2 has the same or the 4L60?
Hope this helps,
Chris
Thx. for the info. You could actually hear the tranny slip? Do you tow with the tow haul button on? I used the button on a trip with 24' Lavey and heard nothing?

sigepmock
06-22-2005, 01:27 PM
With or with out the tow haul it still had point when the rpms, throttle postion, and speed would give the computer the signal to unlock the TC you could see about a 500 to 800 rpm increase, as soon as it did the tranny temp would start climbing :jawdrop: . I worked with the guys at Whipple on a custom tune, the first tune that unlocked the TC was great for drag racing, gave you a little better power but the first time I towed with it, the tranny temp went through the roof. After a retune we got it under control...but not perfect. The GM ECM basically uses the RPM vs. speed vs. throttle position to calculate what gear it should be in and if the TC should lock up. Only caused a problem towing real heavy, on a steep grade, fighting the wind, etc..... Like I said we got it under control but I just had to keep an eye on it.
Sounds like you should be fine. Let Brandin know how it turns out....I think his dad is wanting to put the Radix on his H2 :D Right Brandin???? :D
Chris

RidinRed
06-22-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm thought the H2 was basically the same chassis and drive train as a Tahoe. But I could be wrong.
I am told it is a Sub. Don't know if it is 1/2 or 3/4 ton though....
Travis, you are the One with knowledge on this subject.

INSman
06-22-2005, 04:36 PM
One trip you will probably be fine but it certainly wouldn't hurt to invest in a HD oiler cooler and maybe the Mag-Hytec Tranny pan and Rear Diff cover as pictured below on my 2500HD Diesel.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2294imgp1388-med.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2294imgp1389-med.jpg

H20 Toie
06-22-2005, 04:43 PM
The front end is comparable to a 3/4 ton Sub except there is more support the rear end is setup like a tahoe just heavy duty, i towed my buggy trailer that was 9k with my h2 and it was ok but not great, but remember if you have an accident pulling a trailer that is over the rated limit of the h2 (6500lbs) your insurance will not cover you and if someone is hurt or killed you can be charged with criminal neglegence

jbtrailerjim
06-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Bad idea. Stick to using your truck for towing that kind of weight. Over loading a tow vehicle beyond its capacities is a bad idea. Just because it has the power to pull it does not mean it will stop it. The H2 sits on a Tahoe chassis not a Suburban.

RidinRed
06-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the clarification

djunkie
06-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Bad idea. Stick to using your truck for towing that kind of weight. Over loading a tow vehicle beyond its capacities is a bad idea. Just because it has the power to pull it does not mean it will stop it. The H2 sits on a Tahoe chassis not a Suburban.
That is what I thought. The H2's I've seen were I think 6 lug which would mean 1/2 ton. Along with the small 10 bolt rear end. I use to tow my boat which was around 5500 lbs. with my lifted Z71 chevy. After putting lots of money into the trans. it would do ok. Still lagged on the hills and stopping.

H20 Toie
06-22-2005, 11:44 PM
That is what I thought. The H2's I've seen were I think 6 lug which would mean 1/2 ton. Along with the small 10 bolt rear end. I use to tow my boat which was around 5500 lbs. with my lifted Z71 chevy. After putting lots of money into the trans. it would do ok. Still lagged on the hills and stopping.
No they are 8 lug

djunkie
06-23-2005, 03:00 AM
No they are 8 lug
Thats why I said I think they were six lug. I wasn't completly sure. I still think a 3/4 truck would tow better.

TCS T
06-23-2005, 07:45 AM
It is not a suburban or tahoe, it's a combination of GM parts (2500Hd upper/lower control arms, look like 2500HD CV axles, 4 link Tahoe style rear suspension but with high capacity air bags instead of coil springs and a 14 Bolt rear end, 2500HD brake rotors, 8 lug wheels, and alot of different stuff not available on any other GM product) Anyways looks like I will be using the Ford if the insurance thing is true (jbtrailerjim).

TCS T
06-23-2005, 07:49 AM
One trip you will probably be fine but it certainly wouldn't hurt to invest in a HD oiler cooler and maybe the Mag-Hytec Tranny pan and Rear Diff cover as pictured below on my 2500HD Diesel.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2294imgp1388-med.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2294imgp1389-med.jpg
Thanks for the input, but don't want to use it after the post by jbtrailerjim! Your in the biz is there truth to that? I am insured through USAA. Thx.

cdog
06-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Just tow in 3rd gear and in tow/haul mode. That will allow the engine to rev a little more to build more momentum. Only use O/D when going down hill or flat roads. I don't use O/D unless i'm going over 65mph. The weak link in the h2 is the trans and engine. I believe the drive train is 3/4 ton suburban parts. For instance the rear is a semi float 3/4 ton vrs. a full float in a HD truck. The semi float still has the C clips. I've had 3 1/2 tons and 3 3/4 ton chevys since 1997 and have never fried the trannys in any of them. It's all in how you drive them. Your on the border of the weight issue so just drive carefully and let the engine bear the work instead of the trans.

jrp5xd
06-23-2005, 09:35 AM
The H2 has the same driveline as a 3/4 HD 6.0, 4l85E, the only thing is the semi-float rear end, you should be fine. My buddy pulls his 29ft. Baja about 150miles and then into the Ozark hills and he gets along fine with no Supercharger. and it is lifted riding on 38's. With stock gears. not sure if they are 3.73 or 4.10 though. ( I realize that is a huge difference)

INSman
06-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the input, but don't want to use it after the post by jbtrailerjim! Your in the biz is there truth to that? I am insured through USAA. Thx.
I don't do PERSONAL insurance though, only Commercial, but let me check into it for you. It could easily be true, so better to error on the side of caution !! :idea:

TCS T
06-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey RidinRed I sent you a PM last week in regards to your PM, it shows you have not checked it?