PDA

View Full Version : BEE Stings

Her454
06-23-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm allergic - and short of an epinephrine blast, nothing will help - but what do normal people do? I heard mustard takes the swelling down and will help the stinger out? Sounds crazy but does it work? What other things help with swelling?

Blacksheep
06-23-2005, 12:22 PM
If I recall when I got stung as a kid, my parents used meat tenderizer on a we wash cloth. I could be wrong...my memory isn't what it used to be :)

Her454
06-23-2005, 12:22 PM
whats a we wash cloth? :):)

RP1
06-23-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm allergic - and short of an epinephrine blast, nothing will help - but what do normal people do? I heard mustard takes the swelling down and will help the stinger out? Sounds crazy but does it work? What other things help with swelling?
I can think of a couple of things that help with swelling... oh nevermind. :D

Tom Brown
06-23-2005, 12:24 PM
... what do normal people do?
I certainly can't answer that but I can tell you that I avoid getting stung.

NOTALENT
06-23-2005, 12:24 PM
put mud on it.. :cool:

Blacksheep
06-23-2005, 12:25 PM
whats a we wash cloth? :):)
oooops...sorry....Been a long day :D Glad it's almost over!!

Oldsquirt
06-23-2005, 12:27 PM
...what do normal people do?
Why are aking that HERE? :hammerhea

Her454
06-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Why are aking that HERE? :hammerhea
LMAO, I guess I've been on ***boat so long I dont know what normal is anymore.
And BTW, you spelled "asking" incorrectly. :):):)

sdpm
06-23-2005, 12:28 PM
I heard you have too go WEE WEE on it! Maybe that was for Jellyfish. Try it anyway!! :eek:

Wally_Gator
06-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Ice can help, just wait for the itching.. After the pain comes the itch...

Norseman
06-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Doctor recommended benydril liquid for the kids and adults, it works real well.
Seems to get rid of the swelling and the itch. Take the same dose you take for a cold.
Baking soda applied to the sting also seems to help with the swelling and getting the stinger out
The Vet also said to use benydril for the dog when she got stung in the mouth. She was having trouble breathing and her whole face was swollen. Swelling and breathing problems went away in less than 10 min.
It also works for poison Ivy.

Her454
06-23-2005, 12:31 PM
I heard you have too go WEE WEE on it! Maybe that was for Jellyfish. Try it anyway!! :eek:
Does sdpm mean Super Dirty Public Masturbation? :)

lucky
06-23-2005, 12:34 PM
thats only what your older brother told you so he could piss on ya :hammer2:

sdpm
06-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Is there anything WRONG with that?

Her454
06-23-2005, 12:36 PM
No, except your in the wrong forum for that.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

topless
06-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Frenchie wouldn't think so.

Wonderboy
06-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Just make sure you don't use tweezers to get the stinger out. Use a credit card and "scrape" the stinger out. If you use tweezers you will more than likely squeeze the venom sack and inject more venom into the victim.

oldbuck40
06-23-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm allergic - and short of an epinephrine blast, nothing will help - but what do normal people do? I heard mustard takes the swelling down and will help the stinger out? Sounds crazy but does it work? What other things help with swelling? if you are truely allergic to bee stings and didnt use an epipen you would be on the way to the ER right now! your just having a mild reaction. my dad is allergic and when he gets stung no matter where the sting is his throat will swell up and cut off his air way,even with an epipen he will head to the hospital asap! so far as the stinger if you do not see a small yellowish looking bag hooked to the stinger then the bee didnt leave it in ya,if you do see the little bag DONT TOUCH it scrape it out with a credit card, if you mash the bag it will put more poision in your system...

Her454
06-23-2005, 12:54 PM
if you are truely allergic to bee stings and didnt use an epipen you would be on the way to the ER right now! your just having a mild reaction. my dad is allergic and when he gets stung no matter where the sting is his throat will swell up and cut off his air way,even with an epipen he will head to the hospital asap! so far as the stinger if you do not see a small yellowish looking bag hooked to the stinger then the bee didnt leave it in ya,if you do see the little bag DONT TOUCH it scrape it out with a credit card, if you mash the bag it will put more poision in your system...
Maybe I didnt word that correctly, I am not the one that got stung...... it was a lady here at work that was outside smoking.......... If I had been stung I'd be in deep shit right about now as there is no such thing as a mild reaction to me and I react the same way as your dad.

Norseman
06-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Maybe I didnt word that correctly, I am not the one that got stung...... it was a lady here at work that was outside smoking.......... If I had been stung I'd be in deep shit right about now as there is no such thing as a mild reaction to me and I react the same way as your dad.
Tracy;
I hope you carry an epipen with you!!!
My co workers son is allergic like that and the son carries one and they keep one in each car just in case.

Her454
06-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Tracy;
I hope you carry an epipen with you!!!
My co workers son is allergic like that and the son carries one and they keep one in each car just in case.
I keep one in both my truck and my car, in my purse and in the boat. The problem is, they are volatile to heat and have to be kept fresh. I've been stung and had an old epi and didnt realize it and that can do more damage than good sometimes.

oldbuck40
06-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Maybe I didnt word that correctly, I am not the one that got stung...... it was a lady here at work that was outside smoking.......... If I had been stung I'd be in deep shit right about now as there is no such thing as a mild reaction to me and I react the same way as your dad.i hear ya,its pretty serious shit! i dont know about the swelling part or what to do about it but wait it out and tell her to try ice for as long as she can stand it. i find that being around bee's all my life (job) i've been stung numerous times and the only reaction i ever have is "ouch" no swelling or any other symptoms,and my dad and aunt are very allergic??? i know this probably sounds gross but tell her to take a cig and break it up and add a few drops of water to the tobacco "enough to see the tobacco juice" and apply it to the spot where she got stung. it will help relieve some of the burning.

Her454
06-23-2005, 01:23 PM
i hear ya,its pretty serious shit! i dont know about the swelling part or what to do about it but wait it out and tell her to try ice for as long as she can stand it. i find that being around bee's all my life (job) i've been stung numerous times and the only reaction i ever have is "ouch" no swelling or any other symptoms,and my dad and aunt are very allergic??? i know this probably sounds gross but tell her to take a cig and break it up and add a few drops of water to the tobacco "enough to see the tobacco juice" and apply it to the spot where she got stung. it will help relieve some of the burning.
It stung her under her arm and its the size of a Grapefruit but she's ok otherwise. YUCK. Sounds bad, but better her than me. :( :cry:

oldbuck40
06-23-2005, 01:27 PM
It stung her under her arm and its the size of a Grapefruit but she's ok otherwise. YUCK. Sounds bad, but better her than me. :( :cry:like i said OUCH!!! well im off to the lake! but with out the boat,just a big ass lawn mower this time! see ya :cool:

lucky
06-23-2005, 01:28 PM
i kinda like to get stung in the lips - so i can do my mohamad alli interpritation! :redface:

Her454
06-23-2005, 01:34 PM
i kinda like to get stung in the lips - so i can do my mohamad alli interpritation! :redface:
In holding up my spelling Nazi title...... :)
"Mohammad Ali Interpretation"

lucky
06-23-2005, 01:40 PM
In holding up my spelling Nazi title...... :)
"Mohammad Ali Interpretation"
yea that the only reason we keep you around now get my :coffeycup lmao --

Her454
06-23-2005, 01:49 PM
yea that the only reason we keep you around now get my :coffeycup lmao --
Better than no reason........................... :D :hammer2:

ROZ
06-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Any antihistamine will help as well... Keep a little benedryll on us at all times along with SEVERAL epi pins...

Captain Dan
06-23-2005, 02:19 PM
When I was a kid, the neighbor lady used bluing - the light blue dye that old ladies used to put in their hair - something in that does the trick.

life's a river
06-23-2005, 02:30 PM
I can't believe this post is up here. I have been stung twice in less than 2 weeks. It's been at least 20 years since the last time. I'm not allergic,but they hurt like a SOB. I poured peroxide on mine both times. Didn't seem to help much. The first time I tried to splash the damn thing out of the pool and it nailed me in the finger. Second time I was trying to swat one away from my 5 year old daughter (by the pool again) and it nailed me in the foot. The bees seem to be very agressive. I think I'll stay away next time.
LAR

Her454
06-23-2005, 02:34 PM
The bees seem to be very agressive. I think I'll stay away next time.
LAR
We actually had a bunch chase us in the boat while we were pulling my daughter on the kneeboard, it scared the holy hell out of me.

Tom Brown
06-23-2005, 02:37 PM
We actually had a bunch chase us in the boat while we were pulling my daughter on the kneeboard...
What kind of bees do you have down there?
I ignore bees and have never been stung. It always amazes me that some people get excited, wildly waving their arms, and drastically increasing their chance of provoking a sting.
Yellow jackets, on the other hand, can be ornory little mo-fos.

Her454
06-23-2005, 02:39 PM
I ignore bees and have never been stung. It always amazes me that some people get excited, wildly waving their arms, and drastically increasing their chance of provoking a sting.
They were in fact those huge yellow jackets, are those not what are also referred to as "Meat Bee's" ?
I try and stay still for the most part but I do freak out if they dont go away or they land on me and people are always trying to help by "swatting" them away from me and pissing them off................. :confused:

redneckgirl
06-23-2005, 02:41 PM
My son and my co-worker are moderately allergic to them. My co worker usually swells really bad... like the whole leg, arm etc. She got stung last summer and used a snake bite kit to extract the venom... it worked great...she had just a tiny bit of swelling. I have bought one for my son.
RNG

lucky
06-23-2005, 02:42 PM
i think they ignor you -- :D

life's a river
06-23-2005, 02:43 PM
We actually had a bunch chase us in the boat while we were pulling my daughter on the kneeboard, it scared the holy hell out of me.
Did you speed up to get away? EXtreem speed kneeboarding! Did anybody get stung?
LAR

Her454
06-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Did you speed up to get away? EXtreem speed kneeboarding! Did anybody get stung?
LAR
Actually we did speed up and they started after my daughter but we kept going until they were gone. They were the most aggressive bee's I have seen. When I lived in Havasu my neighbors dogs (2 big Rott's) were killed by a bunch when they got in to a hive that was in their backyard.

surfer2001
06-23-2005, 02:56 PM
VICODEN & 4 BEERS

riverroyal
06-23-2005, 03:01 PM
has some stuff in one use tubes,its called sting relief or something,got them in the truck and the boat,i think they are like 1.50 each

phebus
06-23-2005, 03:28 PM
As a paramedic, I can tell you, that if you have had severe allergic reactions in the past, they will only get worse. Have someone dial 911, and as mentioned earlier, scrape off the stinger, don't try to pull it off. Epinephrine, and Benadryl is the treatment protocol, but follow up is mandatory if in fact it is a severe reaction and you have gone into annaphalaxis (severe breathing difficulty in the past). I would go to your doctor and get an Epi. pen so early treatment can begin, but again, if it is severe, contact 911.

SB
06-24-2005, 09:57 AM
The cigarette tobacco trick works. Also there is a product in the walmart camping section called Sting-Eze in a little yellow bottle with a green cap. Works great for bites.

Her454
06-24-2005, 10:02 AM
She's not here today, called in sick. Must BEEEEE really sick................ :D OMG I need a beer already, hurry up 4 OCLOCK! .......................... :( :D

Wally_Gator
06-24-2005, 11:01 AM
She's not here today, called in sick. Must BEEEEE really sick................ :D OMG I need a beer already, hurry up 4 OCLOCK! .......................... :( :D
Waiting on 2 O'clock myself.. 30 minutes home and it is beer thirty...

life's a river
06-24-2005, 03:13 PM
So I get home from work today only to have my wife inform me that we have thousands of bees swarming our side yard. Sure enough, the little $#!+$ are all around the side yard and the boat. If they get under the boat cover then i'm realy gonna be pissed. Does anybody have any sugestions on how to get rid of them? Vector control will not come out unless there is a hive. They do not seem to going to any single place. Just swarming like someone disturbed ther hive.
LAR

Norseman
06-24-2005, 03:29 PM
So I get home from work today only to have my wife inform me that we have thousands of bees swarming our side yard. Sure enough, the little $#!+$ are all around the side yard and the boat. If they get under the boat cover then i'm realy gonna be pissed. Does anybody have any sugestions on how to get rid of them? Vector control will not come out unless there is a hive. They do not seem to going to any single place. Just swarming like someone disturbed ther hive.
LAR
See if you can find someone that keeps bees and have them come. They ususally swarm when the queen leaves one hive to start another. They swarm around the queen. I hope she doesn't like boats!!! :2purples:

ROZ
06-24-2005, 03:34 PM
My dad had the same problem... We couldn't tell if there was a hive or not. He bought one of those bug zappers and put it near the sawm spot. About 3 days later the swarm was cut by 2/3 and we attacked it with a wasp spray. We got rid of them, and found an empty hive...

life's a river
06-24-2005, 04:22 PM
A friend just pulled up in the driveway and they swarmed all over her Suburban. (White) She had to drive away to get them off. Then my wife ran accross the street to get in. Holy crap! Then they started to swarm my (white) truck. Is it a Chevy thing or do they like white? I moved the truck so the would not build a hive on the truck. Now they have moved back to the side yard with the boat. $hit! Looks like they are moving in.
LAR