PDA

View Full Version : My Dad is Losing his Big Toe, Maybe More.

Lake Ape
06-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Many of you know that my dad was ran over at the lake while skiing two Saturdays ago. A drunk guy in a wakeboard boat (he's still in jail tonight) was heading right for him when the boat was almost right on top of him he dove down as deep as he could. He thought the boat would eventually turn. He had a slalom ski on and couldn't get it off to dive deeper and the boat's prop cut his foot in half. Luckily the Mayo was pretty close and they attempted to put his foot back on. He has been going to the Hyperbaric chamber every day for a week and the doctor thinks that they can save everything but the big toe. Anyone lose a big toe before? What should he expect? He's 63 and has been a carpenter all his life and is in really good shape. Most important does anyone know if he will be able to golf? We get mixed answers from the docs and I thought I would check to see if anyone had any personal experiance.
Thanks,
Lake Ape

Essex29
06-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Sorry to hear this...I hope everything works out for you and your dad!

jdogginla
06-23-2005, 06:50 PM
OMG.........I can't answer any of the questions in your post, but I'm glad to hear that your father is doing better. Hopefully he recovers full and is able to live life to the fulliest and be happy doing so.

Hal
06-23-2005, 07:06 PM
I have a buddy who lost his big toe and he never skipped a beat, didn't change anything in what he could. He was much younger than your dad at the time, but I think your dad will get along just fine. May take a little time to get the hang of of it though. The other toes will have to step up (no pun) and take over for the big toe in the balancing department. Hope he is well soon.. Hal

piper
06-23-2005, 07:11 PM
OMG, I hope your dad has a speedy recovery. I wish I could help you with your questions. I hope that drunk A$$ Hole spends a long time in jail.

Sanger D
06-23-2005, 07:13 PM
hope your ole man is doin better!! people are friggin nuts :rolleyes: hope the guy in jail has a nice evening with BUBBA!!!!

H20Advantage
06-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Don't have anything to add but want to wish your dad a speedy recovery.

Magic34
06-23-2005, 07:25 PM
What lake did this happen at? Best wishes for your dad, hope he has a speedy recovery.

Lake Ape
06-23-2005, 07:30 PM
What lake did this happen at? Best wishes for your dad, hope he has a speedy recovery.
Thanks for the good wishes all, I will pass them along.
It happened at Bartlett in AZ. An off duty deputy sherriff saw the hole thing. The guy blew .19 BAC.

hoolign
06-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Many of you know that my dad was ran over at the lake while skiing two Saturdays ago. A drunk guy in a wakeboard boat (he's still in jail tonight) was heading right for him when the boat was almost right on top of him he dove down as deep as he could. He thought the boat would eventually turn. He had a slalom ski on and couldn't get it off to dive deeper and the boat's prop cut his foot in half. Luckily the Mayo was pretty close and they attempted to put his foot back on. He has been going to the Hyperbaric chamber every day for a week and the doctor thinks that they can save everything but the big toe. Anyone lose a big toe before? What should he expect? He's 63 and has been a carpenter all his life and is in really good shape. Most important does anyone know if he will be able to golf? We get mixed answers from the docs and I thought I would check to see if anyone had any personal experiance.
Thanks,
Lake Ape
Sorry to hear about your Pops!.. Luckily that's all that happened to him !! I hope everyone has a great time this weekend and all come away without recieving or causing any harm! I'm sure that with some time and practice your ol man will be cruisin around near perfectly. I'm not sure it is actually possible to keep a golfer down! :D

Miss Perfect
06-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Wow sorry to hear this. Sending your Dad my best wishes for a quick recovery.

ahhell
06-23-2005, 07:58 PM
Id say if you dad is pretty agile he should compensate well, he'll just have to balance a little differant...Good luck to him,and may the other guy pay

JetBoatRich
06-23-2005, 07:58 PM
I did not hear about your dad, we wish him a quick and full recovery :cool:
I hope when I am his age I have the strength to ski :cool:

Kachina26
06-23-2005, 08:03 PM
:jawdrop: I don't know what to say! I hope all works out for your dad, I will pray for him.

Magic34
06-23-2005, 08:11 PM
His quick thinking saved his life. I often think that if a boat was coming at me while I was swimming, I would try and swim straight down, but it's another thing to actually do it. Good luck once again, and thank god he is alive.

doesitfloat?
06-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Damn, good luck to your dad. He's actually very lucky...

Beautiful Noise
06-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Lake Ape,I loss the Big Toe on my Left foot when I was eighteen in a Motorcycle Acc.It really hasnt effected anything except a Balance problem at times (not that liquor helps)and I've been a Lineman climbing poles for 30 Years.He will Pretty much be able to do everything he can Normally once he gets use to walking on it the one thing he'll experience is Phantom feelings from the Nerve endings like his Toe is still there at times.If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Tom Brown
06-23-2005, 10:10 PM
I would check to see if anyone had any personal experiance.
I'm sorry about his hardship.
Your Dad sounds like a great man. I'm sure he will be able to do anything he focuses on.
- Tom

Rexone
06-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Lake Ape, best wishes to your dad. Fortunately he had the attentiveness and ability to dive or it could have been much worse.
Stories like this of people abusing boats (yes I consider it abuse) and using them as weapons playing chicken or whatever really piss me off. I hope the guy gets a harsh sentence as I see it as no better than shooting at someone with the intent to kill. Not to even mention the alcohol factor. IMO people that do stuff like this should lose their driver's license as well, for a long time in addition to other applicable sentences for the crime.

BarryMac
06-24-2005, 05:36 AM
Wow Lake Ape, I am really sorry to hear about your dad, what a tragic accident that could have been totally avoided if the a-hole driving the ski boat wouldn't have been drinking. I would hate too hear of your Dad not being able to Golf anymore, that would suck, PM me your address, I want to ship him off some new Callaway HX Tour and Callaway HX Hot Golf Balls, maybe that will help him get back on the Links. Best of luck to him and hoping for a complete recovery...
gjb

Sane Asylum
06-24-2005, 05:43 AM
Thanks,
Lake Ape
LA.............Sorry to hear about your Dad........I'm like Michael, I've played that scene many times but never really had to do it.......
Prayers and a speedy recovery to your Dad.......

a catered life
06-24-2005, 06:15 AM
dam dude sorry to hear the bad news.....prayers to your dad and the entire fam

Biglue
06-24-2005, 06:21 AM
Sorry to hear about you pops man. I'm sure it's not the greatest outcome but we have to be greatful it wasn't a more serious accident. I wish him a speedy recovery buddy.

Floored
06-24-2005, 06:32 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident. I lost an eye and can still play golf, it will just take a little while to adjust and he may improve his game just from sheer determination. Hopefully he can get back to skiing again also.

rsoscia
06-24-2005, 06:39 AM
sorry to hear about your dad...i never lost a toe, but i broke my ankle almost 2 years ago really really bad break...just started bowling again and have been playing golf since last November...matter of fact i got my first hole-in-one on may 21 at Diamond bar hole #17... good luck on the recovery

Mr. H2O 'Ho
06-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad. Stories like these are scary because it could have happened to any of us.
The same thing happened to me a few years ago at Parker, only my wakeboard took the prop. I remember thinking " I'm gonna loose a leg for sure." The Lord had his eye on me that day. The driver wasn't drunk, just stupid. Hopefully these drivers learned something from it. We all like to tip a few back at the river but, you have to have control and not stupidity. I do things different now. Whenever I go down I kick my board off and stay next to the boat untill I ready to go again. Call me paranoid but, I feel better that way.
Well best of luck to you and your dad and I hope he's up and skiing in no time.