PDA

View Full Version : Msd Power Surge

BA Kurtis
06-23-2005, 07:05 PM
I have went through 2 6al boxs in less than 6 hours running time :( I have sent one back to msd for repair and have not got it back yet. When I called msd the tech asked if I was running a surge protector, no I am not. Has anyone here ran one? I am running it in a flat bottom and am running an alternator. Everything is bran new and runs great when it runs but I keep frying the box after a couple of hrs. could I be getting a surge from the alt. :confused: This msd stuff is pissn me off thinkin about goin to a mag.

Moneypitt
06-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Just a wild guess here, but what type battery are you running? Standard batteries really take a beating in a boat, and could shake loose inside and cause the charging system to go nuts and spike the current to the moon until the short in the battery burns itself apart.......Just a guess, and how much is the "surge protector" that the MSD guy asked about........This is by no means an attempt to talk you out of the Mag idea, they work great, and should last a long, long time in a boat........MP

BA Kurtis
06-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Moneypit not sure if msd has a surge protector he just asked if I was running one, as far as the batt goes nothin speical but it is a bran new marine batt.

GofastRacer
06-23-2005, 07:52 PM
thinkin about goin to a mag.
Now you're talkin!..

BA Kurtis
06-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Hey Art good talkin to you at big river on sunday, I think I am going to give the msd one more chance once I get that box back and find out whats causing the prob. if it goes out again I am goin with mag :D

GofastRacer
06-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey Art good talkin to you at big river on sunday, I think I am going to give the msd one more chance once I get that box back and find out whats causing the prob. if it goes out again I am goin with mag :D
Same here bud, good luck with it but I'd start looking for a mag!.. :) :)

victorfb
06-23-2005, 09:31 PM
also make sure you have a good ground. ive heard the MSD boxes are tempramental about ground wires. maybe even a second ground wire for the box, and check the entire circuit. did you use rubber dampeners when you mounted the box? vibration is another killer.

Norseman
06-24-2005, 05:05 AM
also make sure you have a good ground. ive heard the MSD boxes are tempramental about ground wires. maybe even a second ground wire for the box, and check the entire circuit. did you use rubber dampeners when you mounted the box? vibration is another killer.
MSD boxes are very sensitive to ground issues. I've had problems with them both in street cars and on the track because of bad grounds.
I'd imagine it would even be more of a problem in a boat.
FYI remember to add a seperate ground wire if the box is remote mounted, and ground the box itself, I've found that you need to run a ground wire from the box to the engine. Never assume that all of the grounds are the same.
And powder coat will not conduct electricity, duhhhhhh :cry:

BA Kurtis
06-24-2005, 03:55 PM
MSD boxes are very sensitive to ground issues. I've had problems with them both in street cars and on the track because of bad grounds.
I'd imagine it would even be more of a problem in a boat.
FYI remember to add a seperate ground wire if the box is remote mounted, and ground the box itself, I've found that you need to run a ground wire from the box to the engine. Never assume that all of the grounds are the same.
And powder coat will not conduct electricity, duhhhhhh :cry:
I have a good ground, it is grounded to the block also the bolts going through rubber mounts into motor rails are grounded. Have you ever heard of a surge protector being used??

Norseman
06-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I have a good ground, it is grounded to the block also the bolts going through rubber mounts into motor rails are grounded. Have you ever heard of a surge protector being used??
Remember that the bolts going thru the rubber mounts will not ground the case of the unit. The rubber insolates the bolts from the box.
And no I've never run a surge protector on any ignition module. Where did they suggest you put the surge suppressor, in which wires???

Norseman
06-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Apparently MSD has two filters available one for the positive voltage and one for ground.
I've never used either one, but this seems to be a pretty good write up on it
Information
http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory/unitest.asp
surge suppressors or Filters
http://www.centuryperformance.com/detail.asp?product_id=MAL-611M
http://www.centuryperformance.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=MAL-29351

BA Kurtis
06-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Apparently MSD has two filters available one for the positive voltage and one for ground.
I've never used either one, but this seems to be a pretty good write up on it
Information
http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory/unitest.asp
surge suppressors or Filters
http://www.centuryperformance.com/detail.asp?product_id=MAL-611M
http://www.centuryperformance.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=MAL-29351
Thanks for your imput, I think I will wait to here from msd on the first box and why it died before I go buyin more stuff.

GofastRacer
06-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Wow, the more I read this the more I love the "K.I.S.S" method!..LOL.. :D :D :D

BA Kurtis
06-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Art I think what you are trying to say is keep it simple stupid, this is getting rather complicated isnt it. I think your right start lookin for a mag :D

SUICYCOLE DIMARCO
06-24-2005, 09:25 PM
surge protector??ive never had a problem with a 7al-2...never ha d a good ground......sounds like the msd dude is giving you a line of sh...................................8500rpm for years..

Norseman
06-25-2005, 05:32 AM
Art;
I agree with you!! Think I'm going to have to call around and locate a Mag when I go for the high HP deal. The Rayson will be running a dual point I have in the garage!!!
Bob