PDA

View Full Version : 454 Olds & recondition jell coat suggestons

dpage
04-10-2001, 10:03 AM
Can anyone provide suggestons on the following topics:
1. Specifics on how to prevent oil starvation in a 1976 Olds engine on a Jacuzzi 12WJB jet, in a 1976 Glen Coe boat. I have read in at least 2 places that when you run the engine wide open for extended periods oil supply to the engine isn't what it should be resulting in spun bearings or seazure. One person recommended engine modiifications and set-up but gave no specifics. A larger oil pan with baffles and windage? has been suggested. Boy, are marnine oil pans pricey, are they really worth it?
2. The Glen Coe boat has small shallow cracks in the gel coat and I have tried buffing the gel coat with a buffer and rubbing compound, then waxing but it soon has a milky coating re-appears. Is a clear coat a viable option for gel coats after working the small craze cracks down with say 600 grit on an orgital sander or will that get fried by our southwest sun ( I live in New Mexico)
I am new at this boat business so any informed help would be appreciated.
dpage

Jetmugg
04-10-2001, 11:11 AM
If you have an Oldsmobile engine, you NEED to get Joe Mondello's tech manual, at a bare minimum. Joe is Mr. Oldsmobile, and knows more about them than anyone else. The oiling problem is that Olds engines tend to hold oil in the top of the engine, and not let it drain back quickly enough. The easiest fix is to get a set of restricted push rods. This does not require removing the engine from the boat. More safeguards include a larger capacity oil pan, and restricting the oil passages above the main bearings. Restricting these passages requires the engine to be out of the boat, and dis-assembled. Also, you can enlarge and smooth the drain-back passages in the heads and block.
Like I said at first, get Mondello's manual, and his catalog too. It has invaluable info. for Olds lovers.
SteveM.

mister460
04-10-2001, 11:45 AM
You can also drill holes in the side of the head and install plumbing that allows the oil to drain back to the pan faster. If you've never worked much with engines just e-mail me and I can talk you trough it. It is actually very easy and effective. And if you do it carefully you won't have to remove the engine. It just involves drilling and tapping some holes and runnig some hoses. Hope I could help.

dpage
04-11-2001, 05:26 AM
Steve,
Ordered Mondello's book yesterday, thanks for your suggestions.
dpage
Originally posted by Jetmugg:
If you have an Oldsmobile engine, you NEED to get Joe Mondello's tech manual, at a bare minimum. Joe is Mr. Oldsmobile, and knows more about them than anyone else. The oiling problem is that Olds engines tend to hold oil in the top of the engine, and not let it drain back quickly enough. The easiest fix is to get a set of restricted push rods. This does not require removing the engine from the boat. More safeguards include a larger capacity oil pan, and restricting the oil passages above the main bearings. Restricting these passages requires the engine to be out of the boat, and dis-assembled. Also, you can enlarge and smooth the drain-back passages in the heads and block.
Like I said at first, get Mondello's manual, and his catalog too. It has invaluable info. for Olds lovers.
SteveM.

dpage
04-11-2001, 05:28 AM
mister460,
Thanks for your help.
dpage
Originally posted by mister460:
You can also drill holes in the side of the head and install plumbing that allows the oil to drain back to the pan faster. If you've never worked much with engines just e-mail me and I can talk you trough it. It is actually very easy and effective. And if you do it carefully you won't have to remove the engine. It just involves drilling and tapping some holes and runnig some hoses. Hope I could help.

brian
05-14-2001, 12:12 PM
Threre are some inhearent oil sysyem problems with olds that must be addressed in a jet
The biggest problem is lack of oil return in the heads wich varies between little and none depending on the block / head combo. Puting in a high volume oil pump alone only hastens the problem. The valve covers are filling up with oil leaving little or no oil in the pan! The WHOLE system must be reworked. Heres is what I did on my Mondello Olds in order of importance.
Route external oil drain back lines going from the rear of heads back to the pan aera
use Mondello oil restricted push rods
Use a 10 qt pan and duel remote filter
Use Mondello oil restictors in block
Mount a puke tank (mine stays dry now)
I also used Mondello roller rockers (they need very little oil)a high pressure/high volume oil pump and a oil cooler

dpage
05-19-2001, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by dpage:
mister460,
Thanks for your help.
dpage
mister460
could you email me the details of installing
return oil lines.
I have received an 8 quart pan and high volume pump from Mondello, but that may not be enough.
I will be pulling the engine to install pan and it seems that would be a good time to add the lines.
I have also got a releif valve for the water system that installs in the intake manifold.
Any details you can provide would be great!
I would really like to keep from tearing the engine down if i can keep from it.
Never got the boat in the water last year and I and my son really want to "Hit it!' this summer.
Regard,
Dennis

dpage
05-19-2001, 04:02 AM
Brian,
thanks
will email you regarding further questions.
Dennis
Originally posted by brian:
Threre are some inhearent oil sysyem problems with olds that must be addressed in a jet
The biggest problem is lack of oil return in the heads wich varies between little and none depending on the block / head combo. Puting in a high volume oil pump alone only hastens the problem. The valve covers are filling up with oil leaving little or no oil in the pan! The WHOLE system must be reworked. Heres is what I did on my Mondello Olds in order of importance.
Route external oil drain back lines going from the rear of heads back to the pan aera
use Mondello oil restricted push rods
Use a 10 qt pan and duel remote filter
Use Mondello oil restictors in block
Mount a puke tank (mine stays dry now)
I also used Mondello roller rockers (they need very little oil)a high pressure/high volume oil pump and a oil cooler