PDA

View Full Version : "Building the Century Jet"

LVjetboy
09-19-2001, 01:39 PM
Just had a brainstorm while posting the other board. Greg Shoemaker could do an article on how to build a 100 mph jet for less than 25k?
What do you all think...can this be done?
jer

phillyray
09-19-2001, 03:41 PM
Sounds like a good idea....lets see what he can do for something let's say....21 foot long!

oldphart
09-19-2001, 04:34 PM
A 21' Jetboat, that does 100MPH for less than 25K ? I love jets but I know of only one way. Rent a really big Airplane, Insert Boat, Take it up to 30,000 Ft. and kick it out.

phillyray
09-19-2001, 04:54 PM
Now lets not be a doubting Thomas...Let the challenge begin!!!
[This message has been edited by phillyray (edited September 19, 2001).]

jroos
09-19-2001, 05:33 PM
Awsome idea! Real World jets.

Jungle Boy
09-19-2001, 06:17 PM
Does that 25k include the hull ? Just kidding, it would be a stretch to run 100 mph with 25k spending cap.

oldphart
09-19-2001, 08:23 PM
Just bench racing but it would require a verrrry light 21 footer with a verrrrry straight bottom a verrry effecient jet and a grenade for a motor. by my calculations a 2500 lb boat would need about 900 hp to accomplish it without wind resistance thrown in. To make that kind of hp and make it live sounds like $30,000.00 plus in the powerplant. Current open Modified roundy round engines are about 200 Hp shy and cost about 10 K more. anybody got any ideas?

Havasu Hangin'
09-19-2001, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by oldphart:
anybody got any ideas?
How about a stroked, Whippled SBC (around $12-$15K- 700? ponies on AV gas) in one of those stripped-down "beer can" hulls? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/confused43.gif
http://www.websitemonster.com/images/pimp.gif

froggystyle
09-19-2001, 09:54 PM
How about do it in a 18-19' V-bottom and be more realistic. In a hot V it could be done relatively easily. In a 21' jet... Better have some nitrous. A lot of Nitrous. Like two bottles. And a big motor. And a blower. And a....... you get the picture.

gregshoemaker
09-20-2001, 05:19 AM
Guys the only way to accomplish this project would be to find something used. You could build a stripped down version less motor for the mid to low 20's but the we have to put a motor in it.Whenever I quote a new 21 or 19 it has all the horns and whistles for a number reasons. Speed means safety and good quality parts are a must. This also includes the engine. Maybe we should try to build a 100 mph boat for the min. amount of $$$$$$. Greg Shoemaker

flat broke
09-20-2001, 06:43 AM
How bout set 25k as a desired goal and add Greg's statement about safety related purchases being the reason the cost may run over. For me, once I say do it for the least bit of $$$ that certain goals will alow, I end up running over on budget because the line between need and want gets blured. Where if you have a budget and in order to go over the budget you have to validate it from a safety standpoint, you might hold closer to your spending cap.
Another thought that I think HH pointed out; I have seen some good numbers coming from stroker SBC powered Eagles. I think something in the range of 383s spining 6k and hitting the 80s? Maybe the beer cans warrant further investigation...
Chris

oldphart
09-20-2001, 03:29 PM
some of the beer can boats that bounce off rocks on the Yuba river are reputed to be 100 mph jets. There was an aussy through here last year with a Twin turbo big block chevy that was advertized as a 115 mph boat. I placed myself and a chippy friend at the end of roughly 1/4 mile of smooth deep water and he was only doing 71. There used to be lots of 100 mph jets, but that was before GPS and radar guns. buuuuut its an interesting goal for bench racing

Jungle Boy
09-20-2001, 03:56 PM
I own a couple of them Eagle "beer can" boats and can run 86+ mph with a 383 stroked sbc making 465hp (custom "B" impeller at 5250 rpm) on GPS. I do have buddies that run in the 103+ mph range with pro-charged sbc motors with 650 - 750 hp or real nasty 750 natural (13.5:1) asperated rodek engines. But up in Canada with the exchange rate and all you can't build 650hp motor for under 25k (not one that will last). We find the jump from 85 mph to 100 mph is about 15000+ dollars. No disrespect to Oldphart but I'll tell you that there are plenty 110+ mph boats racing on the rivers up here and NW USA . Tim Harding was clocked on radar at 123 mph. 4 time world champ Spencer King with a 600 ci ford runs regularly at 115+ mph all day long. Rob Chrunyk runs a small block natural asp engine at 107+ mph. These aren't drag boats doing 1/4 mile passes, these are boats that run 450 mile marathons over 5-6 days. Greg, you should come up and run some skinny water with us some day. You would have a blast.

75_Elim
09-20-2001, 09:57 PM
I'm no expert when it comes to design, but I'm pretty good when it comes to throwing out ideas......... Now how about this?
Build a twin jet ??? You could build 2 600hp motors for half the cost of a 900 then throw those into a older cat hull. The dual jets should have more then enough thrust to push even a 25' Daytona over 100mph. Or my other thought is to build one 750hp motor, then build a gear box that splits the power to 2 jet drives. This way you get the same thrust as above but with less weight.
Like I said I'm not the engineer, but I do love to think of these crazy ways to cheat the water http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
75 Elim

LVjetboy
09-21-2001, 12:13 AM
Either way 75Elim, I'd love to see Greg do an article on the "Century Jet". Set a minimum price and reliability/safety goal to keep it from being a stunt, then see how close HBM (compliments of GS) could get.
My thought is the engine would need help from the bottle (to keep prices down) but done right, that can be reliable too. Used or new make no difference to me...whatever it takes. Think of the challenge! Could be "100 mph on a Budjet" Or "Breaking the Triple D" Or "Jet of the Century: The Cost of running Triple Digits"
Talk about an interesting article! I'd be anxiously waiting at the mail box for the next issue...to read the next update on the project of the century!
Just a thought,
jer

jroos
09-22-2001, 02:09 PM
Cool idea 75. There is a guy who builds a gear box for v-drives that splits to 2 props. I don`t know if it could be used for jets but don`t see why not. Greg any input? I would bet it would cost though.
Under 25k? Ya`ll are going about this wrong. Yes it can be done and with ease. Buy a used rig. Decent running mill. If its old, good as long as not smokin`. Old mills are loose and usually rev. Do a little tweekin` and lighten the load. As in bare interior, no carpet you get it. Now do a rebuild on the pump with a diverter addition. here is the fun and easy part. 400hp 3 stage nitros kit! Remember, we have about 6 to 8 grand in it before juice. You say,"But the motor is not gonna last long!". Uh, yeah! And your point? We don`t have too much in it and we can always get another junk yard mill. I would also advise this with a small block, plenty of `em to pick from in the scrap heap. Ever see all the used stuff on ebay?
[This message has been edited by jroos (edited September 22, 2001).]

Chestah Cheetah
09-22-2001, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by 75_Elim:
Build a twin jet ??? You could build 2 600hp motors for half the cost of a 900 then throw those into a older cat hull. The dual jets should have more then enough thrust to push even a 25' Daytona over 100mph
75 Elim
I brought this up also as something that would be a cool "one-off" project in a different thread a while back. We were on the subject of Sea Doo boats and how one or two of their "bigger" models ran twins. I know our BBC's are bigger and would be tight, but that all depends on what kind of boat you're looking at for installation.
Twin Big Block Jets- Nice!

Oldsquirt
09-22-2001, 06:21 PM
Guys, the twin engine/twin pump deal has been tried. This was posted a couple months ago by Old Rigger:
" Put one together that almost killed Schuster. Had 2 berkleys in it and twin BBC's, they took it out for a test run and it ran like stink but when they took it into a tight turn one of the pumps cavatated and spun the boat out violentely, throwing Dick across and almost out of the thing. Smashed his head up real good. Pumps were mounted real close together too and the engines were stagered "
Maybe it isn't such a good idea?

Unchained
09-23-2001, 05:52 AM
I already did this,
Used Cheyenne 19' tunnel $ 5,500
Place Hyd diverter $ 550
Place Droop $ 260
New blown Arias/Chevy 540 $ 18,500
Misc. $ 1,000
Lots of time $ 0
Total $ 25,810
I did'nt keep a good track of the parts cost but this is probably accurate within 5%
Results, Gps 104 at 10 lbs boost
Boat has much more potential, needs more shoe and a lot more boost to go a lot faster but then you can get into no mans land and I'm becoming more Chicken S**t as the years go by. I like the acceleration from 20 mph to 80 and thats good enough for me.

Joker
09-23-2001, 11:25 AM
Hey fella's I can vouch for jungle boy we have a couple of beer cans up here that are in the neighborhood of 100...bare hulls big block big horsepower. I jetboat with a guy on the clearwater who is running twin 460's in a 22' home made beer can...In northern Saskatchewan you can take a ride up the Churchill River with a guy who is running twin 454's in 20' beer can...The sound that comes out of these 2x big blocks is unreal...

Jungle Boy
09-23-2001, 12:33 PM
Joker, You must boat Clements. I think he has a big twin. She ain't much of a speed demon big it will haul a hell of a moose, quads and small squad of men. I have his impellers in my boats and they work great. Better than anything I've tried. Also, Rob's raceboat run 107 mph with a 454 ci small block. I've held the GPS and radar at that speed. It's fast. But it is nowhere near the $25K cap. I believe the motor would run around 50K Canadian (Hey, that's about 10000 US !!). Yes, it can be done.

skeepwerkzaz
09-23-2001, 10:38 PM
You would need a N2O bottle the size of the shuttles main tank. Super chevy magazine just did a test to see how much juice a built small block could handle. They blew the motor on a 750 horse pull!!! Using a 250 horse kit. WOW. A very high quality jet boat capable of 100mph could easily be built for under 25K, you just have to be a savy shopper. I would bet that I could do it on pump gas with a single carb, no I guarantee I could. I am going to build one some day that with a single carb will smoke anyting short of a full on race boat. No sweat. 540 merlin block, Big Chief heads, Dart or sheetmetal intake w/ fogger, 1300 cfm BG, etc etc....... all in a CP hull.

riverlover
09-23-2001, 10:54 PM
I would like to be the first to donate my boat for the project. It's 18'6 Challenger and it could use the make over. The motor is a 460 Ford (would like BBC) and the pump is a Jacuzzi golden eagle (golden turkey). The problem is I don't have the $25K to invest so you guys can watch GS build a project. So pass the hat and when you get up to 10K let GS know and I will tow it right over.
RL

LVjetboy
09-24-2001, 12:27 AM
Sounds good to me Riverlover. I threw 25k out there but from what several are saying, may be done for less than 20k. I'm no expert in engines, but like the idea of a Merlin block with fogger. And something that will live for many a summer.
Also love the idea of a reasonably priced jet boat kicking props a** at over 100 mph! If Greg could do an article like this, we could get ideas on how to push our rigs to the triple D.
jer

gregshoemaker
09-24-2001, 05:26 AM
All these ideas have merit but we have to come up with and investor that like to put up 25000.00 to fund the project.I have no problem helping with the project but need someone to back the project. Greg Shoemaker

SB
09-24-2001, 06:59 AM
As long as we're getting weird, how about 2 engines, turning one pump? Maybe an overdrive gear. What's the max rpm you can turn a pump?

wrightnow
09-24-2001, 10:22 AM
This is done all the time (under 25k) the key is pick the right hull. You will need one that is capable of speeds of triple -D (some form of tunnel). This is a run down of my project.
18' CP wullwing $4,000
New Trailer $2,200
Interior $ 550
Race Pump (MPD) $3,000
Diverter manual $ 400
Engine Bill Scotten $7,500
BBC 30 over iron
alum. heads polished
tunnel ram 750dp polished
13.5 to 1 av gas
Gauges $ 350
Wiring harness $ 250
Misc $1,000
Total $19,250
This was my second trouble free season with the boat. It is set up from 60% ski and 40% race. and run's in the high 90's. We ski and wake board all day then ski at night.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/028/Vi/Oh/c2/wB86660.jpg
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/Ef/i7/SA/wA73939.jpg
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/Yb/UC/su/tz63942.jpg
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/Th/sI/bd/wz85382.jpg

SL1111
09-24-2001, 06:48 PM
Greg Shoemaker, you stated you needed someone to fund this project. I have spoken to you about one of your EDGE boats as I am thinking of buying one. I would consider backing this project if you could use an EDGE hull. You guys get the test boat and when all is said and done I have a dialed ride. Sounds like a win-win deal. Let me know and we can discuss price. I was looking at going with an I/O, but for the right set up I would go jet...
Scott Lubben
scottlubben@hotmail.com

flat broke
09-24-2001, 08:42 PM
I was going to respond to Greg's last post regarding finding a customer who would co-op but it looks like we have a winner. BTW, I'm sure you could bait one of the Nos companies into floating a system for a test and writeup in HB. I have had friends eval stuff in other industries and they have always gotten to keep the goods unless they were prototypes.
Chris

LVjetboy
09-25-2001, 01:32 AM
Good idea Chris!
SL111, what's the Edge hull like?
Maybe HBM could kick in a little too...just to appease the unruly jethead bunch :)
jer

flat broke
09-25-2001, 06:58 AM
They (HB) should do something to atone for running that "Shadow Cat" project buildup and neglecting the Jet and yes V-Drives that made the mag poplar. It has been said before, and I'll repeat the sentiment, HB caters to the wrong niche. Unfortunately the big ad $$ is tied to the big ticket boats. I let my subscription expire cause I can go to Teague and grab free issues of PowerBoat if I want to read about the 30' and up club. Lets see the Build up of a real deal average Joe 100mph jet. Im waiting........
Chris

SL1111
09-25-2001, 10:10 AM
The Edge is a 21 foot cat . Similar to a Placecraft without as much freeboard...

LVjetboy
09-25-2001, 02:04 PM
Copy the 21 foot Cat. A little longer than what I had in mind, but possibly a worthy hull. Only thing...if it has less freeboard than a PC, you may need a snorkle http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
I'd like to request one thing (if GS still considers this a worthy topic): If at all possible please stick with crappy pump gas...92 octane? I have a hard time buying extreme octane AVgas at the marinas around here http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif not sure why. So nose-bleed compression may cut into my lake party time not to mention stress my pistons. My dream of the "Century Jet" is the boat you take anywhere anytime...and party all day with it. No big deal, except an occasional top-off of the bottle. If I remember right, Hot Rod mag. had a big block shoot-out awhile ago featuring Ford, Chevy and Olds(?) all putting out 700+ hp on 92 pump gas, so maybe possible???
jer

SL1111
09-25-2001, 05:13 PM
I called GS today and Greg was Lake testing. I am prepared to get underway with this thing if we can make it work. I will keep you posted on what is happening. I am going to try to talk to Greg tommorow....

SL1111
09-25-2001, 05:14 PM
I called GS today and Greg was Lake testing. I am prepared to get underway with this thing if we can make it work. I will keep you posted on what is happening. I am going to try to talk to Greg tommorow....

SL1111
09-26-2001, 04:26 PM
Sorry guys. I am out on this project. I spoke with Greg today and there is no way to fit the boat I want into this project. Greg was very upfront with me on what my project is going to take versus what you guys want to see. Greg did say he had a 19ft Daytona hull that would fit the bill for the Century project if anyone is interested they should call him ASAP. Greg is on the "A" list for sure. He and his shop are top notch and I am sure you guys will all get a great project boat....
[This message has been edited by SL1111 (edited September 26, 2001).]

SL1111
09-26-2001, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by SL1111:
Sorry guys. I am out on this project. I spoke with Greg today and there is no way to fit the boat I want into this project. Greg was very upfront with me on what my project is going to take versus what you guys want to see. Greg did say he had a 19ft Daytona hull that would fit the bill for the Century project if anyone is interested they should call him ASAP. Greg is on the "A" list for sure. He and his shop are top notch and I am sure you guys will all get a great project boat....

PC Rat
09-26-2001, 06:16 PM
Buy this boat, minus engine http://www.jetboatperformance.com/allusion.htm
Tom at Jet Boat Performance claims: test boat with 270 HP Marine Power 350 ran 72 MPH.
And install this engine http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=720&pid=2597

smash
09-26-2001, 06:59 PM
Call Eagle buy the 21' stepped tunnel,call hendrick motorsports and get a circle track motor. You mite be a touch over budget +/- $20,000

LVjetboy
09-26-2001, 08:44 PM
S1111, thanks for the update. Sounds like that 19' Daytona would be a perfect hull, what do you think? Hey guys, if I didn't have the Dragn, I'd jump at this one. Looks like Greg Shoemaker is ready to build...and you might get that HB article to boot! After all, how many jets here can top 100 for less than 20K? For that matter, how many jets here can top 100 PERIOD?
PCrat, what the heck is that hull!? Never saw it...but looks interesting. And the engine...well, I'll put that on my Christmas wish list :) One thing I always wondered. Why those high-hp crate engines never come with a tunnel ram...hmmmm....
jer

flat broke
09-27-2001, 07:04 AM
What do ya think Jer,
Halt work on Flat Broke and pick up the 19' Daytona in trade for my hulk(with finished interior minus the MPD pump and Mill? I'ts only running 9.1:1 on forged goodies, so a huffer or juice is very doable... I think Em would kill me, but then again, she's never been over 65. She just might like it 8-)
Greg,
Could you get me some pics of the daytona hull and what you're asking. I'll be honest and say that me picking it up is a long shot, but I am curious to see what the girlfriend thinks. You can email pics and info to me at Chris@povertylineracing.com
Chris
[This message has been edited by flat broke (edited September 27, 2001).]

SL1111
09-27-2001, 05:24 PM
Smash, How do I get a hold of Eagle. I want to see that 21ft. cat you speek of...

Kiwi Legend Jetter
09-28-2001, 12:45 AM
http://www.eagle-marine.com/

Moomawnster
09-30-2001, 02:02 AM
Hey guys any info on that 383 sbc will help me get next years motor ready , I am keeping this short in case it fails again!1

Moomawnster
09-30-2001, 02:11 AM
Well , after being informed that I am not registered a couple of times I will try again , I am planning a 383 sbc for my 16ft Tahiti and would like some input from anyone who has a kickin small block , I understand that torque is where it's at and I would like to find out if I can get 70 or better . I am currently running a stock 350 which can do 59 on the gps in 6 seconds I think I can do better , opinions? mawnster@cfw.com please E-mail I can only check the forum once a week