PDA

View Full Version : Trailer ball

phebus
06-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Man what a bitch getting a trailer ball off a hitch bar. With my bad back, I asked my neighbor if he would unbolt a ball for me, so I could replace it with a 2 5/16 inch ball. He went at it with two big ass pipe wrenches, and allmost busted his nuts getting it off. That lock washer really grabs.... Poor sucker, all that for a Sam Adams. :hammer2:

Froggystyle
06-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Man what a bitch getting a trailer ball off a hitch bar. With my bad back, I asked my neighbor if he would unbolt a ball for me, so I could replace it with a 2 5/16 inch ball. He went at it with two big ass pipe wrenches, and allmost busted his nuts getting it off. That lock washer really grabs.... Poor sucker, all that for a Sam Adams. :hammer2:
Two words... new hitch. That way you have both.

hoolign
06-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Two words...gas axe!! :D

Kindsvater Flat
06-25-2005, 06:43 PM
I have a 1 7/8 hitch, 2" hitch, 2 5/16 hitch, and my split hitch for moving farm impiments. No changing balls here. And if I have to I just torch it off.

phebus
06-25-2005, 06:46 PM
That would have been the smart thing, but I had an old hitch bar with a 1 7/8" ball sitting in the garage that hasn't been used in forever, and on my next trip to Havasu I wanted to bring a 2" and 4" bar with me, and that way, between the two, and up or down, I would have the right one. I just won't bolt it up with the lock nut until I'm sure I have the right one. Even then, once I find out what I need, I will probably go buy one of Alumistinger one's. They are really clean, and have a high weight rating.

jbtrailerjim
06-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Two words... new hitch. That way you have both.
Yep, that just what I was thinking too and that is what I have done. Those frickin nuts on them hitches are a bitch to break loose. But that's a good thing. I'd rather have them be that way, that way I know they are going to stay tight on that hitch.

Floored
06-25-2005, 09:08 PM
anti-sieze really helps, the threads will gall and make life rough.

KACHINA KEN
06-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Try this Pheebs, I have one and I love it. About $240.
http://www.quickdrawhitch.com/index2.htm

Forkin' Crazy
06-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Damn... and I thought I was in the back woods.. :squiggle:
Where have y'all been? I have had one of these for years. Now I have them on all three pickups. They make it in stainless steel too.... Which is what I have!!! :cool:
http://www.convert-a-ball.com/
http://www.convert-a-ball.com/images/ballanimation.gif

v-drive
06-26-2005, 05:28 AM
I don't know if 2 piece balls are legal any longer. v-drive

phebus
06-26-2005, 06:32 AM
anti-sieze really helps, the threads will gall and make life rough.
Anti-seize definately would have helped, but the bigger problem was that the lockwasher was cutting into the nut with it's tail end allmost the whole way off. It wasn't the tension of the lockwasher, but rather the cutting action by hanging up on the nut.

Mtg Pro
06-26-2005, 06:44 AM
Rick,
How is your back ?

phebus
06-26-2005, 06:53 AM
Hi Mike, I hope you and your family are having a great summer, we still need to get together for that beer. Here is an update on my back that I'll post from another thread, I am sure everyone is sick of my back problems by now, but at least they don't have to see me at the lake.
I have had two surgeries since February (which now makes three), all unsuccessfull. I was scheduled for a three level fusion this Monday, but I went to the hospital in severe pain last week, and they discovered I had discitis which is an infection of my discs. So, I have to go to a infectious control doctor on Monday, and be put on some special antibiotics for about a month until they can operate. So, if the antibiotics get my back feeling O.K. before my operation, I am heading out to Havasu one last time for a long time.
Rick

Forkin' Crazy
06-26-2005, 07:27 AM
I don't know if 2 piece balls are legal any longer. v-drive
Aren't legal where? They still sell them here...:eek:

v-drive
06-26-2005, 07:35 AM
Yeah, you can still buy them here to but if you're in an accident or you lose your boat because of a ball breaking and they find out you had a 2 pc your insurance covers nada. I don't know if it's a cali thing only or not but it's enough that I have only 1 pc now..v-drive

riverroyal
06-26-2005, 10:56 AM
and mrs phebus,nice folks,I actually had a 36inch pipe wrench in my truck that day,wish i would have know!

Havasu Hangin'
06-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Aren't legal where? They still sell them here...:eek:
Don't you live in a third-world country? :idea: