PDA

View Full Version : Sea sick/ Motion sickness?

Sportin' Wood
05-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Well hard to believe a Hot Boater gets sea sick, but unless I'm driving I get car sick/sea sick. Maybe a control thing but what ever it is I need a remedy.
Dramamine knocks me out and I don't want to sleep as a method of fixing the problem. I missed out on alot of cool trips on my dads sail boat because I was knocked out cold.
At any rate. I have to fly to Key West Florida on a business trip Thursday morning and sleeping on the 9 hour plane ride is not an option. Holding a bag full of Barf just does not seem it will go well for networking and of course I might need a free hand to hold my coctail. They have a fishing trip planned for a little recreation mixed with business during the trip and I don't want to miss the fun because I'm a puss!
As you sit here reading this thinking how much of a puss I am, my brother recieved a medical discharge from the coast guard because of extream sea sickness. He was sea sick for two years, so Getting use to it just wont work.
I guess we are wired to stay on land. :rollside:
What remedies do you have?
SW

Brooski
05-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Push the Captain (boat driver, not the cocktail) out of the way and take over the boat. That way you will be driving and you wont get sick. :p

maxwedge
05-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Ask the pilots if you can take the flight controls for the duration. I'm sure if you explain your situation they will understand. :D

Sportin' Wood
05-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Push the Captain (boat driver, not the cocktail) out of the way and take over the boat. That way you will be driving and you wont get sick. :p
Air marshall might have a bit of a problem with that, but I'll try it if need be. Thanks Brooski great idea. :220v:

SHIFTY
05-01-2006, 11:55 AM
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/accessories/pics/triptone.jpg

maxwedge
05-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Air marshall might have a bit of a problem with that, but I'll try it if need be. Thanks Brooski great idea. :220v:
Looks like you're gonna have to take out the marshall too then...I was afraid of that, but it's a minor inconvience :p

572Daytona
05-01-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm fine when a boats under power, but I get sick when it stops and bobs around. The last time I went deep sea fishing in Key West I got sick when they were drifting.
Dramamine makes a less-drowsy version now, you may want to give it a shot if you haven't already.

TJRiver
05-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Get your doc to give you a prescription for Tansderm Scopeline (SP?) patches. They work great!

Ziggy
05-01-2006, 12:09 PM
My wife will use a non-drowsy Dramamine when she needs.......seems to work for her. She stays awake and loosing the urge to hurl :rollside:

LAFD
05-01-2006, 12:09 PM
i think ginger root works. cant remember if thats it or not they had it on myth busters and i beleive the ginger work the best.someone correct me if im wrong.

bite me
05-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Try wrist bands with plastic pressure points. Someone sells them just dont know who, but hear they work.

Sportin' Wood
05-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Looks like you're gonna have to take out the marshall too then...I was afraid of that, but it's a minor inconvience :p
Do you suggest a ball point pen to the throat or a Chuck Norris Kung Fu chop to the side of the neck? Of course then I have to concern my self with the rest of the passengers wanting to kick my a$$ so I think I better go with some Motion sickness meds.

RiverOtter
05-01-2006, 12:39 PM
i think ginger root works. cant remember if thats it or not they had it on myth busters and i beleive the ginger work the best.someone correct me if im wrong.
They did a real good bit on this. Using double blinds and found ginger pills worked as good as drugs. Give it try.

maxwedge
05-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Do you suggest a ball point pen to the throat or a Chuck Norris Kung Fu chop to the side of the neck? Of course then I have to concern my self with the rest of the passengers wanting to kick my a$$ so I think I better go with some Motion sickness meds.
Well, drugs are bad (Nancy Regan told me)...and the whole karate/pen thing just seems too violent...
maybe you could just "rocks-paper-scissors" the crew for control of the airplane? The rest of the passengers are going to wanna to kick your a$$ anyway for puking next to them the whole flight, so worrying about that seems likes a mute point anyway. :D
Or you could just go with the ginger, plenty of options... :p
Really, I do feel for you. I'm glad I don't suffer from that particular issue. Good luck.

Deano
05-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Get your doc to give you a prescription for Tansderm Scopeline (SP?) patches. They work great!
yep, they work great. I used to get sick on a fawking swing.lol
I went on a few long range fishing trips and just put one behind each ear.

sdpm
05-01-2006, 01:58 PM
yep, they work great. I used to get sick on a fawking swing.lol
I went on a few long range fishing trips and just put one behind each ear.
I agree. This is the only thing that works for me. You will get a little cottonmouth but that is an easy fix! :D Also after you put it on, wash your hands. They need to be put on in the right spot as well. They are perscription only but well worth it!!

Silver
05-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Crystalized ginger. Trader Joes.

HB Sandman
05-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Bodine. You can get it at any drug store. I took my son on a 3 day fishing trip and it worked great. I used to get real sick. Take it a day before you go out.