PDA

View Full Version : Crane Roller Rockers

Tresguey
06-26-2005, 09:49 AM
i just picked up a set of Crane gold roller rockers free from a guy at work. how much more will i get out of a mild 454 if any? is it worth putting them on with out going to a roller cam and lifters?

steelcomp
06-26-2005, 09:59 AM
i just picked up a set of Crane gold roller rockers free from a guy at work. how much more will i get out of a mild 454 if any? is it worth putting them on with out going to a roller cam and lifters?
Probably the cheapest and easiest improvement you can make. Easy 15-20 hp. No, you don't have to do another thing if you don't want to. :coffeycup

Wicked Performance Boats
06-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Gee, I wished I had a friend like that!! :D :D Budlight

Tresguey
06-26-2005, 02:38 PM
also got a Comp cam and lifters with no profile how can i spec that out?

Beer-30
06-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah, easy 15HP at least. Probably 20, but 25 is stretching it.
I changed a small block one time from stamped to roller. Same ratio.
Put the covers on and fired it up with an instant 200 rpm increase in idle. There is a substantial amount of HP lost in friction with ball type rockers, not to mention the inconsistant ratios.
DO-IT!

paradigm shift
06-26-2005, 03:49 PM
On a mild 454 you will probably not feel any difference at all. I would install them though just because of the amount of heat that they create. Especially if you run at a higher RPM for extended periods of time. Just my .02
If you have the numbers off of the cam you should be able to look it up on comp cams web site. Usually stamped on the end of cam.

Beer-30
06-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Chevy High Performance mag just put 1.8 rollers on a GM 5.3 in a pickup. Granted, they increased the ratio which will add more HP, but they got 20HP at the rear wheels. Probably not enough to feel, but should get a few more RPM on the top. Might notice it smooth out the motor some.

blowngas
06-27-2005, 09:06 AM
also got a Comp cam and lifters with no profile how can i spec that out?
cross reference the number on the front of the cam to the numbers on the comp cam web site----if you can't find info, contact tech at comp cams----or do it with a dial indicator and degree wheel

Tresguey
06-27-2005, 12:27 PM
thanks, i figured out it was actually a Engle cam. and a little smaller than i would want.