PDA

View Full Version : out for the first time

76ANTHONY
06-26-2005, 06:53 PM
ok, i took my 76 anthony out for the first time this weekend after taking it to the shop. only one thing wrong that i could see. the engine runs off the battery and not the alt. so after about 13 minutes it dies and i get to let my friend tow me in and take pics :confused: but other than that this boats got some power, plans fast and steers great. very fun. now im glad i bought a boat. i never realized that there are great people out there still. not a big fan of 12 year olds hittin the boat with there pwc, but there young so oh well. :D

SmokinLowriderSS
06-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Make sure you look for a circuit breaker of some sort in the Alternator wiring before pronouncing the device as dead. My Indomar 454 in my Taylor had it with the wiring mount on the rear/top of the engine block. If you (or prev owner) got the alt. wet while running, it trips to avoid short-circuit damage to the alt. Mine is a small white button-type CB.

76ANTHONY
06-26-2005, 07:15 PM
yep, theres a breaker, and it works because i had to use it when the boat died and about 20 gallons of water came in the back of the boat. hey but honestly, whata blast. :shift:

Oldsquirt
06-26-2005, 07:20 PM
I'd check all the fuses and then I'd wonder if something was done wrong, or left disconnected, in the re-wiring job that was done.
By the way, is it even legal for a 12 year old to operate a pwc?

76ANTHONY
06-26-2005, 07:27 PM
first of all, all wiring is connected. the alt is a one wire and it goes to the breaker block. its then jumped to the battery. kinda odd compaired to the car i rewired but im gonna give baker a call. the other thing is i guess its not legal because we watched the police a blythe tow three pwc because of the driver not being 16. parents watch out, there taking the pwc and putting it in the impound.

76ANTHONY
06-26-2005, 07:38 PM
i think i need a diagram. this wiring goes to some odd places. it's a one wire alt and i need to check if its charging correctly. any help would be great. i've got a wiring block at the rear of the engine with a breaker. :idea: :idea: :confused: :hammer2: maybe i could fix it like this,. :idea: :D

Oldsquirt
06-26-2005, 07:47 PM
The quickest test would be to just see if you have battery voltage at the output terminal of the alternator. If you do(and you should) its likely the alternator. If not, start tracing your way back towards the battery. Like I said, something may not have been correctly wired.
Boat have a voltmeter or ammeter?

cave
06-26-2005, 08:39 PM
here is a basic wiring diagram,
http://www.liquidaddiction.net/Images2/ignitionandgage.jpg
Just add this with all the other stuff that shop didnt do and should of for what you paid!

SmokinLowriderSS
06-27-2005, 02:52 AM
Check to se if you are getting 12V to the alt output (only) terminal with the boat off, if yes, start it and check for output voltage, 13 to 15V. If yes, good to go. If no 12V to the wire, find the opening and you should be set. My alt output wire is attatched to the same post (relay) that my + battery cable is on to feed my starter. Incedentally, the cable on the output to the Alt needs to be big ole 8-gauge wire. Your jumpering setup would be ok but the jumper between it and battery must be 8-gauge as well to give the alt a direct reach to the battery for charging. Yes, it may work as well through all the small system wires together, but why not just keep it simple. The Alt output is supposed to be a direct to battery feed.
Incedentally, I just put a 1-wire on my Taylor jet this weekend replacing the old (and shot) 2-wire 37Amp thing from 1978.

slotracer
06-27-2005, 05:22 AM
if its a 1 wire alternator the wire needs to go to the battery not a fuse block. when it starts to charge it will pop the breaker. happened to me last year thought the same thing took the alternator to a shop and all checked out good talked to the guy at the shop and he told me when the alternator starts to charge it puts out to much for the breaker.
pat(slotracer) :jawdrop:

76ANTHONY
06-27-2005, 06:31 AM
OK WHEN I GOT HOME I CHECKED THE WIRING. THE ONE WIRE ALT GOES TO THE STARTER AND THEN TO THE BREAKER BLOCK. ITS THEN JUMPED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BREAKER BLOCK. NOT ONE WIRE TO THE BATTERY. IT GOES TO THE GAUGE FROM THE JUMP ALSO. SO THE GAUGE SHOWED 14 VOLTS THE WHOLE TIME. BUT I HAD TO CHARGE THE BATTERY TO GET IT RUNNING AGAIN. AND YES I'LL ADD THIS TO THE THINGS NOT DONE. IT SUCKS CAUSE WHEN IT DIED THE SECOND TIME I WAS TURNING AND IT DIED AND HIT A ROCK, NOW THE BOATS GOTTA BOO BOO. NOT BAD THOUGH AND I PUT IT THERE SO ITS OK, I'LL GET IT TOUCHED UP. BUT WHAT A BLAST, THIS IS THE FASTEST BOAT I'VE EVER BEEN ON MAYBE CAUSE I WAS DRIVING.
THANKS GUYS WHEN I GET HOME AFTER WORK I'LL DO ALL THESE TESTS AND LET YOU KNOW. :idea: :clover: :D

boater012
06-27-2005, 03:06 PM
the wire should go directly to the battery (or the starter) like every body was saying and not through a breaker. check to make sure all the ground wires are tight, a loose ground will also cause this problem. check where it secures to the block as well as where it secures to the battery. a one wire alternator should still have two wires running to it one for the power and one for the ground. I always run an 8 gauge wire from the case to the block ground to make sure I dont have a problem. also check the conections at the battery itself. was the battery replaced or was it the one in the boat when you got it ?
sometimes when a battery sits, the lead will oxidize and not allow the cables to make a good contact. I always clean the terminals on a battery before I install one (even a new one). my .02 worth. if that doesnt work try this :hammerhea

76ANTHONY
06-27-2005, 05:19 PM
ok here we go. the wiring is like this. the alt wire goes to the fuse block. then its jumped to the red wire going up front somewhere on the other end of the red wire it goes to the breaker. then out of the breaker onto the main post on the starter. then the battery terminal goes to the pos side of the battery. the battery is new from you know where. and the alt is brand new. what do i do. i charged the battery for any tests i can do.

76ANTHONY
06-27-2005, 05:44 PM
OK I THINK I NEED AN ALT.the battery shows 13.01. alt output 13.01 all other jumpers and breaker 13.01. when started the output at rear of alt 12.56. thats a brand new alt. i'll put the old one in and see what happens :hammer2: :jawdrop: :idea: :clover:

76ANTHONY
06-27-2005, 06:09 PM
ok what are the chances of having two bad alts? the old one does the same thing.help :burningm: :hammer2: :hammer2:

Oldsquirt
06-27-2005, 06:15 PM
It's always possible, but rare.
Any chance of posting pics of the alternators and of the terminal block? I assume that's what you meant by "fuse block".
It sounds as if they also connected the alt output wire on the wrong side of the breaker. This will, as noted previously, cause the breaker to trip when the output exceeds breaker limit.

boater012
06-27-2005, 06:16 PM
you my friend have a wiring problem
:mad:

76ANTHONY
06-27-2005, 06:32 PM
ok, i put the new alt back in and i've got 14.56 at the rear of the alt and at the battery. oh man what now???? :220v:

Squirtin Thunder
06-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Just feel lucky you don't have door hinges holding your seat down and sheetrock screws going through your hull !!!!
I would post a pic but I can't take a pic being everytime I look at it I start to laugh !!!

76ANTHONY
06-27-2005, 06:58 PM
this is true i read that. this im sure is a small problem, i hope. i tell you what, i still had fun this weekend.

Squirtin Thunder
06-27-2005, 07:09 PM
This particular boat had 39 screw holes in the transom also !!!

76ANTHONY
06-27-2005, 07:12 PM
ok i give whats the fix on that????? :coffeycup

76ANTHONY
06-28-2005, 07:33 AM
ok, what if i run a wire from the alt to the battery and then run that to the jumper system on the block??? would this do the trick? and yes my next step is this :hammer2: :220v: :220v: :2purples:

stillgoin
06-28-2005, 07:51 AM
I went through a similar problem with my old boat. Turns out there was a diode in one of the wire routes that went bad. I also went through two alts before figuring it out. :angry2:

76ANTHONY
06-28-2005, 07:58 AM
when i removed the new alt and put in the old one. i found the alt wire a little not so tight feeling. now it works, is it fixed or is it just f$%^&%$ with me. :hammerhea :wink:

Oldsquirt
06-28-2005, 09:38 AM
ok, what if i run a wire from the alt to the battery and then run that to the jumper system on the block??? would this do the trick? and yes my next step is this :hammer2: :220v: :220v: :2purples:
There is no need to run a separate wire all the way to the battery.
Just remove the existing alternator output wire(from alt to terminal block) and replace it with one that runs from the alternator to the the battery cable terminal on the starter. That will be the tidiest and most effective way to eliminate the circuit breaker from the alternator output circuit.

76ANTHONY
06-28-2005, 10:15 AM
thank you opldsquirt, you've been a great help. man you know your stuff. i hope i can help all you guys one of these days.

76ANTHONY
06-28-2005, 06:41 PM
old squirt, i owe you big time. this wiring is perfect. charging at 14.56 at alt and at battery all the gauges aork and the breaker works. i do owe you. if i ever see you its a 18 pack for you. :rollside: :D :D :smile: :hammer2: