PDA

View Full Version : pump rattle after engine cutoff??

wrenchdaddy
06-27-2005, 04:18 AM
I hear a tinkling, rattling sound right after I shut my engine off, ic an;t tell where its coming from, should I be worried about it? I have a 454 and a panther pump both were rebuilt about a year and a half ago it runs awwesome but I can hear something rattling right when I shut it down, other than that it doesn;t make any noise, any ideas on what I should do or check? How can I disconnect the pump from the engine?

cave
06-27-2005, 04:33 AM
have you checked the driveline / H bar? U joints may be shot.

Foggerjet
06-27-2005, 04:42 AM
Hmmm. I dunno much about panthers, (or anything else for that matter), but your wear ring might have come loose somehow and is rattling/spinning with the impeller. It may keep spinning just a bit after shutdown. Also, input shaft splines that are worn can cause a rattle. I've never even looked inside a panther, so take it for what it's worth.
Can you hear it in the water? Or when it's on the trailer?
If you run your motor on the trailer (no water in pump), it could be the root of your problem. Maybe.
fog

9er
06-27-2005, 06:29 AM
The last time I heard that it was the wear ring on a buddies boat. Like you said we could only hear it on shut down out of the water.
I would look at asap because it'll only cause more damage, and lots of it. He was able to have Tom Papp fix it and hasn't had a problem since.

wrenchdaddy
06-27-2005, 02:57 PM
It rattles in the water and out of the water, it doesn;t matter, i don;t think I have U joints, Im tryin to figure out how to disconnect the pump from the engine.

revndave
06-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Could be wear ring.My boat did that.Took it apart and found insulator gone,wear ring was spinning. :mad:

Squirtin Thunder
06-27-2005, 03:13 PM
I hear a tinkling, rattling sound right after I shut my engine off, ic an;t tell where its coming from, should I be worried about it? I have a 454 and a panther pump both were rebuilt about a year and a half ago it runs awwesome but I can hear something rattling right when I shut it down, other than that it doesn;t make any noise, any ideas on what I should do or check? How can I disconnect the pump from the engine?
Sounds like your kitty is playing in the box !!!
I believe that the panther jet has a disconnect similar to a jet a way, so you can run the engine out of the water. To my knowledge, that is the best thing about the panther jet, but I'm sure Cas (here on the boards) would be more informative on that than anyone. He is at this point the resident goony goo goo on panthers.

9er
06-27-2005, 03:15 PM
It rattles in the water and out of the water, it doesn;t matter, i don;t think I have U joints, Im tryin to figure out how to disconnect the pump from the engine.
Hmmm, :idea: I wouldn't think you could hear it in the water if it was your wear ring. Have you checked your main pump bearing, starter, flywheel? Also, if your rope seal is gone, the compressing coupler could make that noise.
????????????????????

wrenchdaddy
06-27-2005, 03:30 PM
The bearings should be good I checked the oil in the front set and the oil looks brand new still, not milky or low. I would really liek to figure out how to disconnect the pump, where are you Cas???

Squirtin Thunder
06-27-2005, 04:38 PM
The bearings should be good I checked the oil in the front set and the oil looks brand new still, not milky or low. I would really liek to figure out how to disconnect the pump, where are you Cas???
So did you find the kitty in the box !!!

szokejohn2
06-30-2005, 06:33 PM
no,no ,no.thats not it at all,none of the above!! The real problem is in the impeller shaft key way.It has become a little loose from wear or running the engine out of the water.My key acually sheared of one day in the water about 100 yard away from the dock,ofcource no water to the engine block and it reved up very high.The panther pump is soooooo easy to take apart.just unbolt the pump in the middle,split it in two,and you will see the impeller.Unbolt the impeller and yank it loose,replace the key and reassemble.My pump was 25 years old and it was the first time it was disassembled.It is now making the same noise you are discribing.I am not going to take it apart yet.BTW you can find a keyway at Lowes or home depot.If its too big (width wise) just grind it down. :D

kachina
06-30-2005, 07:30 PM
greas the hell out of the bearing, shaft from the motor is rattleing on the splines of the pump. Make sure you a a drip of water coming from the packing this is the area that deeps the shaft cool.

Cas
07-01-2005, 07:48 AM
Panthers don't have wear rings unless it was put it as a mod.
Sorry WD,
I didn't see this thread until now so I hope you got my pm responding to yours.
The rattle at shut down could be something as simple as the grate being loose, a rock being stuck in it or possibly broken.
First thing that I'd do is check underneath with a flashlight looking into the grate. Next would be to remove the rear stator housing, disconnect the steering cable, forward/reverse cable and the 4 bolts and take a looksy in there. You just might find something lodged in the vanes.
After that, what I mentioned in the pm might be your only other options.

szokejohn2
07-01-2005, 02:05 PM
BTW, panther pumps do not have splines on thier impellers,just a keyway holding the impeller in place. Listen to me,I have torn down this pump several times,I know what I am talking about!!

Red Horse
07-01-2005, 02:22 PM
I would think it was also the impeller on the shaft. Keyway/impeller thing :cool:

AZKC
07-01-2005, 02:41 PM
How'd I miss this, boy those were some good guesses, :jawdrop: Panthers are pretty simple. Cas is sending you down the right path. Also it may just be the slip yoke where it hooks to the pump. Try to get some grease on it if you can, but that can be a biatch if you have a bellhousing. You do have ujoints and they need greasing also should be accesable(barely) through the small inspection cover on top . Also there should be a grease fitting on the end of the pump behind the reverse bucket up inside there. Keep it greased also. I've had my Panther for 20+ years also and it is pretty bullet proof.

wrenchdaddy
07-01-2005, 03:25 PM
I can't really see the u-joints very well, I greased the rear bearing but havn;t taken the back part of the pump off yet. I'll try and get the ujopints greased if I can and after this weeknd I'll pull the back of the pump off.

Cas
07-01-2005, 04:18 PM
WD,
do you have the Panther Manual?

wrenchdaddy
07-01-2005, 06:05 PM
yes i have the manual, all i could really find was like a diagram of the pump, is there anything i should be looking for?

Cas
07-02-2005, 06:28 AM
was just curious, I have an extra one around here someplace that I was going to offer you.
the other thing I'm curious about is this...
BTW, panther pumps do not have splines on thier impellers,just a keyway holding the impeller in place. Listen to me,I have torn down this pump several times,I know what I am talking about!!
Why do you need to tear into your pump so often?

wrenchdaddy
07-08-2005, 05:59 PM
it was the woodruff key on the shaft that was worn out, I pulled the pump off and took the impeller out and they key alomst fell out of the keyway!! Got a new one at Lowes for $1.50, fit perfect.

jrork
07-08-2005, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=Cas]was just curious, I have an extra one around here someplace that I was going to offer you.
Hey Cas. How much do you want for your extra Panther manual?? John

Cas
07-08-2005, 10:34 PM
jr,
check your pm's
WD,
I'm glad it was something pretty simple!

jrork
07-09-2005, 07:41 AM
I don't want to jinx anything but ***boats PM dealio worked this morning! I don't know about you guys but it hasn't worked for months for me.
Cas,
right back at you

lklaassen
06-11-2006, 02:36 PM
It rattles in the water and out of the water, it doesn;t matter, i don;t think I have U joints, Im tryin to figure out how to disconnect the pump from the engine.I had the same problem, I pulled the back of the pump off and found the pump shaft had broken right after the impeller

squirt
06-11-2006, 02:56 PM
I had a very simlar problem last year. The sound was like a jet-a-way when you shut off the engine only not as low and loud of a sound, thought it was comming from the pump area. Turns out the Alternator tension bolt had backed out and it was flaping on shutdown. My point is, is that sounds you think are coming from one place are often transmitted from another. Look for loose stuff too.
Just a thought, Don