PDA

View Full Version : my ming results-thanks to all who helped

cyclone
06-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Well racing in real classes sure was a lot more fun that doing the river racer thing. The competition sure was intense. Definately more expensive, but more fun as well. I wrenched on the boat until 12am to get the data system and launch controller in place at Tom Papp's shop friday night. Left for Bako at 1am and made it to the motel 6 at about 4am with Randy and Jessa. We were too tired to drop the boat off at the track and although the motel parking lot was crawlin with lot lizards and unsavory types, we put the truck and trailer in view of our room and crashed out for 3 hours.
Saturday morning we got to the track in time to set up pit with the rest of the TPR guys and got the boat through tech inspection. There weren't alot of boats present so the call for all the blown gas jet boats to the inramp came quick. As I suited up I noticed that my helmet was missing the helmet restraint d-rings so I instantly panicked and went looking to borrow another helmet. CS19 was kind enough to find me a helmet that fit but I missed the call for BGJ anyways. That sucked because it was like watching money fly out of my wallet. 1 -pass gone.
Randy and I prepped the boat again and warmed the motor in time for my bracket pass. When we got to the launch ramp I was told I could hurry up after this pass and make up my missed 1st pass afterwards. As i sat on the rope I was pretty comfortable even though during my only 3 times with the boat on the water at the river, I'd never made a full pass with my foot on the floor. The lights went out and I armed the launch controller and put my foot to the floor. The controller held the motor at 5-grand for a fraction of a second and the zinged it up to 7,200 rpm and the boat did a burnout and went nowhere. When it did finally hook up I went down the track sliding sideways and steering left. The result: 9.56/113 mph with a .90 rt. clearly we had some work to do. My conservative hardware setup had the boat bowsteering something fierce and the launch control program was way too short to keep the pump from cavitating out of the hole.
Knowing that we had just a few minutes in the pits before I had to race back up the ramp to make up my BGJ pass, we skipped the warm up the motor excersize and attended to the hardware. Tom Papp brought the ride plate up a degree and since there wasn't time to adjust the launch control program I decided not to use it on the next pass.
My next pass wasn't much better because I had to instantly get used to gently rolling the boat over on plane instead of flat-footing the throttle, to keep from cavitating the pump. It doesn't take much to cavitate my pump even with the AA impeller in it. I launched the boat at 6,000 rpm, which again was too high, so the boat did a burnout again and I ran 9.70/114.6 mph with a .78 rt.
Now I was getting frustrated. I knew I needed to drive the boat better out of the hole.
I lined up for my second qualifying pass in BGJ and this time pedal'd it out of the hole at 5,000 rpm and ran a 9.40 et/115.3 mph with a .65 rt. At this point the boat was still running really flat and not driving straight down the track so we took the ride plate up a bit more.
My second qualifying pass in the bracket went great. I launched the boat at 5,500 rpm and this time the boat drove straight and effortlessly. I ran a 9.28 at 116 mph.12 with a mediocre .59 rt. the hardware changes worked helped a bunch.
Normally when i go to ming my sundays are fun but there's no pressure because I'm not really racing anyone in the river racer class. Since I was running BGJ and 9.00-9.49 et bracket classes I had to get my game on so that I didn't lose in the first round and get put on the trailer. I was more comfortable in the boat now so we threw a few more degrees of timing in the motor, which it really liked. I drew a blown daytona 1st round in BGJ and were it not for red-lighting.....I ran a 9.25 et/ at 116.56 mph with a -.70 rt. I left real early. So my stint in BGJ was over after the 1st round.
I really didn't want to go home early and wanted to get my money's worth so when my bracket came up I made sure wasn't going to red light. Thank god the flatty I trailered did the same thing because he was even slower off the mark then I was. I won my first round with a 9.13 et/ 117.70 mph with a .81 rt.
Winning a round was the greatest. I was so stoked and when I heard that CS19 beat Joe Lakamp and I was facing him in the next round I was even more stoked. We paired up and left the rope at the same time but my boat once again did a burnout at the lights and I had to play catch up. I ran a 9.22 et/116.97 mph and lost the race with an awful 1.053 reaction time. Chris definately outdrove me. congrats man! Wouldnt been even cooler to see you take out Roznos in the final.
Well that was my weekend. I had a blast and can't wait to go back. Now its back to the river!
thanks to randy J., Jessa B., Jeff Becker, Randy B., Tom P, and everyone else that came by and said hello or helped out.

BUSBY
06-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Call me when you get a chance ... I think your pressure sensor might be set too low.
But you looked great! We got some great shots of you, I'll e-mail them to you later.
It was nice to see you out there again! Ron's gonna have to watch his back now!
Brian

Bense468
06-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Good seeing you again mike. A 9.13 first time out is nothing to shake a stick at. Good air and some more dial in time and that thing will be running 8's in no time. Thats quick. Glad you had fun, all the hard work paid off.

cyclone
06-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Call me when you get a chance ... I think your pressure sensor might be set too low.
But you looked great! We got some great shots of you, I'll e-mail them to you later.
It was nice to see you out there again! Ron's gonna have to watch his back now!
Brian
i don't think Ron will have to watch his back too much. The boat will go an 8-something once I get the holeshot figured out but I dont know how deep into the 8's I'll get. with some hardware work, maybe 8.50? the boat is still running wet from the motor rearward. Definately email me the pics. I got nothing from the weekend. Thanks for all the help with the pop-off by the way.

cyclone
06-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Good seeing you again mike. A 9.13 first time out is nothing to shake a stick at. Good air and some more dial in time and that thing will be running 8's in no time. Thats quick. Glad you had fun, all the hard work paid off.
thanks a lot jeff. i was good to see you again too. next time I'll drive better and we'll go quicker. For now i can't wait to get back to the river and stand on it! :cool:

Bense468
06-27-2005, 03:14 PM
For now i can't wait to get back to the river and stand on it! :cool:
Thats what I like to hear. You guys doing BR this weekend? We will be down in Mayflower. If you can haul her down and run to the sandbar for a day or so.

cyclone
06-27-2005, 04:18 PM
jessa and I are planning on towing down to blythe to hang out with you and danny. i need directions from big river to where you guys camp out at because I dont know the area too well. What time is the water up and when will you all hit the river on saturday?

Bottle Fed
06-27-2005, 04:43 PM
I had a lot of fun with you all this weekend. I did a quik scan through the 600+ pics I took this weekend and got a bunch of good stuff. After I get some editing done I will get some sent out to you. Thanks again for a great weekend. Looking forward to the next.

Bense468
06-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Mike,
Call me for directions 626-991-8776 cell
Water should be fine. Never a real problem. We usually hit breakfast up in town (9am or so) and then come back and get on water. On water about 10-11 Depending on hangover from night before.

FuelInMyVeins82
06-27-2005, 07:02 PM
MIke talk to CS i video taped all ur runs not sure how well they came out but its worth a shot. Good seing ya. Next time ur ass is comming tubing no if's and's or but's about it!!!

victorfb
06-27-2005, 07:19 PM
great post mike. you wrote that as if you were a writer/editer of a magazine or something. :) congradulations on such a good turnout especially for your first real race day. way to go man. hope your little kinks get worked out quikly and progress into a contender to be wreckened with. atta boy. hope to see you, jessa, and the rest of the gang at the river.

Johnwithjm
06-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Good job Mike.

cyclone
06-27-2005, 09:55 PM
I had a lot of fun with you all this weekend. I did a quik scan through the 600+ pics I took this weekend and got a bunch of good stuff. After I get some editing done I will get some sent out to you. Thanks again for a great weekend. Looking forward to the next.
Thanks jeff. can't wait to see them.

cyclone
06-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Mike,
Call me for directions 626-991-8776 cell
Water should be fine. Never a real problem. We usually hit breakfast up in town (9am or so) and then come back and get on water. On water about 10-11 Depending on hangover from night before.
i'm out of town until thursday so I'll give you a call then. We may just come up and stay the night friday rather than tow down saturday. Depends on danny. Tell him to get his bucket put together!

cyclone
06-27-2005, 09:57 PM
MIke talk to CS i video taped all ur runs not sure how well they came out but its worth a shot. Good seing ya. Next time ur ass is comming tubing no ifs and or buts about it!!!
I'd love to see them videos. And I'll definately make the tube run next time. That is as long as I'm not rolling into town at 4am that morning. I damn near fell asleep in the swimming pull saturday after qualifying. I definately would hae drowned with beer in my hand had I gone tubing with you fools. next time... :)

cyclone
06-27-2005, 09:58 PM
great post mike. you wrote that as if you were a writer/editer of a magazine or something. :) congradulations on such a good turnout especially for your first real race day. way to go man. hope your little kinks get worked out quikly and progress into a contender to be wreckened with. atta boy. hope to see you, jessa, and the rest of the gang at the river.
actually i stole that whole story from some other dude. truth is that I'm illiterate (sp?). see. i cant even spell ilitrate. :) see you at the river vic. 4th of july???

cyclone
06-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Good job Mike.
thanks dude. some day I'll give you a run for your money. I have no money left after racing this weekend so you can just give me a run for my beer. :D

Bense468
06-27-2005, 10:50 PM
i'm out of town until thursday so I'll give you a call then. We may just come up and stay the night friday rather than tow down saturday. Depends on danny. Tell him to get his bucket put together!
Me too. I am in San Diego until Thursday night or possibly friday. Then jam home get boat ready and tow out fri night. From what I hear danny will be there, have not talked to him in a few days. Heard he set the motor and was supposed to be firing tonight as long as his mag survived the submarine voyage.

HBjet
06-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Cyclone, it's always a pleasure to be at the track with you and help get that boat dialed. This past weekend was like learning all over again and at times it can get frustrating, but we'll get all of the bugs worked out and next time you and CS19 line up, there should be a different ending!
Chris, your boat was running strong all weekend... you should be happy with it... now just drive and get that cooler packed for the 4th!
Nelson, your boat was solid... every pass was perfect from what I could tell. I never saw you run at BR and everyone said your boat was quick... Well, they were right... Looking good out there, but I think you running around Tailgators doing the Lawn Mower was best pass all weekend! haha...
To all of those who stopped by and said hello, thanks! It's great to see friends out there between rounds.
HBjet

victorfb
06-28-2005, 08:37 AM
actually i stole that whole story from some other dude. truth is that I'm illiterate (sp?). see. i cant even spell ilitrate. :) see you at the river vic. 4th of july???
cant make blyth for the 4th. we will be in laughlin running the stretch between lazy harry's and needles. kinda Toni's and mine annaversary gig. besides we want to look at some property out there by roosts place. have a great trip and be safe.