PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Chicken (beer can chicken)

jackpunx
06-27-2005, 12:48 PM
I need some recopies for beer can chicken..I got this new thing for cooking it.. and Im going to try it tonight
I want to do it on the BBQ..
Anyone done this?
Thanks

OutCole'd
06-27-2005, 12:50 PM
No recipies, just use about 1/2 of a beer, (drink the other half) and put the chicken over it. You can use a pre made up chicken rub, but that is all you need to do. Takes a while though.

Mrs Luvnlife
06-27-2005, 12:56 PM
I need some recopies for beer can chicken..I got this new thing for cooking it.. and Im going to try it tonight
I want to do it on the BBQ..
Anyone done this?
Thanks
Be there............what time????? :idea:
You said you were 10 min. from our house....we can be at your house in 3 min!! :D :D :D

thom
06-27-2005, 12:56 PM
ive never tried it.. Let me know how it turns out..
I like the idea of one for the pigeon then one for me

Phat Matt
06-27-2005, 01:04 PM
It works really well. Nice and crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.

jackpunx
06-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Be there............what time????? :idea:
You said you were 10 min. from our house....we can be at your house in 3 min!! :D :D :D
Im calling BS.. come over at 6 :wink:

jackpunx
06-27-2005, 01:06 PM
It works really well. Nice and crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
I was told to use indirect heat..is that right?
what about smoking it?

Phat Matt
06-27-2005, 01:08 PM
what about smoking it?
If you use a gas grill you can turn the left side on and place the chicken on the right. You don't want the grease and fat that drips off it to catch on fire.

jackpunx
06-27-2005, 01:10 PM
If you use a gas grill you can turn the left side on and place the chicken on the right. You don't want the grease and fat that drips off it to catch on fire.
thanks..
I'll try it tonight.. and report back tomorrow :)

Phat Matt
06-27-2005, 01:11 PM
thanks..
Good luck. :)
1 (4-pound) whole chicken
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons of your favorite dry spice rub
1 can beer
Remove neck and giblets from chicken and discard. Rinse chicken inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Rub chicken lightly with oil then rub inside and out with salt, pepper and dry rub. Set aside.
Open beer can and take several gulps (make them big gulps so that the can is half full). Place beer can on a solid surface. Grabbing a chicken leg in each hand, plunk the bird cavity over the beer can. Transfer the bird-on-a-can to your grill and place in the center of the grate, balancing the bird on its 2 legs and the can like a tripod.
Cook the chicken over medium-high, indirect heat (i.e. no coals or burners on directly under the bird), with the grill cover on, for approximately 1 1/4 hours or until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F in the breast area and 180 degrees F in the thigh, or until the thigh juice runs clear when stabbed with a sharp knife. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.

Boozer
06-27-2005, 01:12 PM
what about smoking it?
I dont know that smoking it is going to have a high enough temp to achieve the results you get by using a conventional bar b q but you can try it if you want.
The key to good chicken is all in the rub. I usually make the rub the night before and let the chicken sit in the fridge over night.
2 pinches of thyme, 2 pinches of paprika, a little parsley flake and some pepper will make a nice rub. Personally I like a little heat in my food so i throw in some cajun seasoning and some cayenne pepper but that is just me. Rub it on let is sit in the fridge over night and cook it up.
If you like citrus squeeze some lime or lemon over it and throw a wedge or two inside of the chicken while you let it marinate.

BarryMac
06-27-2005, 01:19 PM
Good luck. :)
1 (4-pound) whole chicken
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons of your favorite dry spice rub
1 can beer
Remove neck and giblets from chicken and discard. Rinse chicken inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Rub chicken lightly with oil then rub inside and out with salt, pepper and dry rub. Set aside.
Open beer can and take several gulps (make them big gulps so that the can is half full). Place beer can on a solid surface. Grabbing a chicken leg in each hand, plunk the bird cavity over the beer can. Transfer the bird-on-a-can to your grill and place in the center of the grate, balancing the bird on its 2 legs and the can like a tripod.
Cook the chicken over medium-high, indirect heat (i.e. no coals or burners on directly under the bird), with the grill cover on, for approximately 1 1/4 hours or until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F in the breast area and 180 degrees F in the thigh, or until the thigh juice runs clear when stabbed with a sharp knife. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
This is how I do it with the exception of, I put mine in a Pie Tin, it keeps the fat from dripping on the flame, no flame ups. The fun parts shoving the beer can in the Chickens ASS... :eek: :D :eek:

C-2
06-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Gas only unless you want to burn several bags of coals. Ditto what others have said, do the offset, indirect heat. Cook it hot to sear the skin, then go low and slow. And leave the thing alone - too many sneaky peaky's and you'll be there all night. As long as it's offset you won't see any flareups.

Heater
06-27-2005, 01:50 PM
thanks..
Rub the skin with olive oil or butter whichever you prefer and then put your rub on it. Makes the skin nice and brown. Also seperate the skin from the meat with your finger and get the spices down in there!
As long as you get to the temperature for poultry it will work in BBQ (indirect like Phatt Matt said) or a smoker, great thing is if you get to drunk on the extra beer and leave it on to long chances are it will still be juicy!
I also recommend getting a wireless thermometer (sp) off Amazon.com so you are not wasting time checking temperature and can keep the other beers flowing!
Good Luck!

Chase
06-27-2005, 02:10 PM
We do this all of the time and tastes absolutely incredible. I just want to express some concerns to everyone who reads this thread and who does this with their chicken
My cousin who is a chef agrees to the process here, but stongly reccomends NOT placing the bird on the beer can....OK everyone is saying "well how else do you do this then??"
He has mentioned the toxins released from the paint on the can as well as what is released from the aluminum of the can is not a good thing to be eating..kinda makes sense to me..
When we heard this we invested in a couple of chicken cookers that are made of stainless steel...that resemble a can with a flat base on it for stability. We got ours from Cabelas where they call them tipsy chicken cookers..but I just logged into thier site and did see it..but I found it HERE (http://tipsychicken.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tipsy&Product_Code=1001)
This looks like a good site to get recipes from too.

jackpunx
06-27-2005, 02:17 PM
I have been doing some research.. I read something like this on one of the sites.. they are saying that they are investigating a connection between the paint and alshiemer (sp)..
Im going to try this with the beercan tonight.. I got the stand for the chicken and the can for fathers day..
if it comes out good.. I'll order one of thos things.
seems better safe than sorry..

deltarat
06-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Go to Safeway and buy a pre seasoned chicken. Take 1/2 full can of beer slide the chicken over it. Put a pan under it with about 2/3 cup of water in it. Stick it in the oven at 350 for 1 hour. Pull it out and enjoy it. I made this last night, and just thinking about it makes me want it again tonight.

jdogginla
06-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Put the butter under the skin of the chicken........next to the ass, pull up the skin and insert the butter and any herbs so that it's between the meat and the skin. Mmmmmmmmmmm

jackpunx
06-28-2005, 09:09 AM
so.. I tried it last night.. it was awesome!.. very so tender it was falling appart ..
Going to make another one wed .. and I'll try putting the spices under the skin too..
thanks for all the info :wink:

HOSS
06-28-2005, 09:27 AM
yardbird sucks

jackpunx
06-28-2005, 10:32 AM
yardbird sucks
You got chickens in your yard?

a catered life
06-28-2005, 11:03 AM
ok since i have been known to cook a meal or two here my 2 cents matt had it right but if you really want to make it taste special dont gulp the beer pour it into a bowl take this seasoning called "monterry" mix it with the beer put enough seasonings to make a paste then used that for your rub making sure to rub the inside of the chicken and under the skin where possible let it marinate for 2-4 hours cram the remaining beer and can up the ass of the chicken and cook it off direct heat for 30-45-minutes and on direct heat for the remainder until it reachs 165 temp in the thigh area. the idea of off direct heat makes sure that you smoke the bird a little and the beer heats up in the can. now the trick is to pour any remaining rub on throughout the entire cooking process :D

Danhercules
06-28-2005, 12:44 PM
SET IT AND FORGET IT!!!!
We make chicken at least 2 time a month. I just put a pit of olive oil on the bird and use Emrils poltry season. MMMMMMMMM

CandyA$$
06-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Does it matter what kind of beer?

jackpunx
06-28-2005, 01:17 PM
I used bud light last night..
I heard tecati taste a little more..
but I dont think it matters.
Try Jack Daniels and Let me know what happens..lol

phebus
06-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Well, since your drinking half the beer for each chicken you cook, it had better be a beer you like. :D

CandyA$$
06-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Oh so you saying to take and empty a beer can and add in jack daniel or any liquir. lol
I would like to know how that turns out.

TCHB
06-28-2005, 02:33 PM
1. Half of a beer
2. Put peanut oil on the skin
3. Put a spicy rub all over the bird
4. Cut it upright in the barb away from the flame with the lid closed
5. Keep temp about 400 for 45 minutes to an hour.

Boy Named Sue
07-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Chicken in progress. Its a very novel way to burn a bird.
I agree with gjb. Shoving the can in the chicken's ass is the best part
:)

Old Man Havasu
07-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Make sure you use a drip pan to catch the fat even when using indirect heat.
That will prevent a BIG grease fire next time you fire up he other burner!
Learned from experience!

ultra27jay
07-28-2006, 07:21 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm beeeeeerrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Boy Named Sue
07-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Make sure you use a drip pan to catch the fat even when using indirect heat.
That will prevent a BIG grease fire next time you fire up he other burner!
Learned from experience!
I made a tray out of foil and its catching all the drippings (considerable).
It was hard to tell with the lid closed but I think I heard the hen ask the can if it was doing anything tomorrow night. :sqeyes:

phebus
07-29-2006, 06:23 AM
I have been doing some research.. I read something like this on one of the sites.. they are saying that they are investigating a connection between the paint and alshiemer (sp).
That chicken sure was good, but I forgot how to cook it :crossx:

ahhell
07-29-2006, 06:31 AM
You gotta use a Weber BBQ and put all the coals around the perimeter of the coal rack, and just 1-2 coals under the chicken and let her drip
I use equal parts salt,pepper, paprika and brown sugar. blend it and shake the bird and the seasoning in a bag...damn 7 am and I want dinner :rollside:

Not So Fast
07-29-2006, 06:36 AM
We do this all of the time and tastes absolutely incredible. I just want to express some concerns to everyone who reads this thread and who does this with their chicken
My cousin who is a chef agrees to the process here, but stongly reccomends NOT placing the bird on the beer can....OK everyone is saying "well how else do you do this then??"
He has mentioned the toxins released from the paint on the can as well as what is released from the aluminum of the can is not a good thing to be eating..kinda makes sense to me..
When we heard this we invested in a couple of chicken cookers that are made of stainless steel...that resemble a can with a flat base on it for stability. We got ours from Cabelas where they call them tipsy chicken cookers..but I just logged into thier site and did see it..but I found it HERE (http://tipsychicken.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tipsy&Product_Code=1001)
This looks like a good site to get recipes from too.
Sort of funny how this has made the rounds lately cause I just tried it and the bird was very moist, BIGGEST problem was getting the can out of the chickens ass as it was very hot (DUH) and hard to grab :D
The beer can thing did make me wonder about safety and stuff so I think I'll get the bird cooker you suggested, looks much easier to remove plus the health thing, THANKS :idea: NSF

Sigus
07-29-2006, 06:48 AM
Marinade in Cactus Cooler - Garlic - Hot Sauce (no not the boat cleaning stuff) - salt and pepper
Cook indirect for 70 to 85 minutes. Let rest for 10 to fifteen.
Using a stainless holder over the beer can is very good idea.

Boy Named Sue
08-05-2006, 09:04 PM
ok since i have been known to cook a meal or two here my 2 cents matt had it right but if you really want to make it taste special dont gulp the beer pour it into a bowl take this seasoning called "monterry" mix it with the beer put enough seasonings to make a paste then used that for your rub making sure to rub the inside of the chicken and under the skin where possible let it marinate for 2-4 hours cram the remaining beer and can up the ass of the chicken and cook it off direct heat for 30-45-minutes and on direct heat for the remainder until it reachs 165 temp in the thigh area. the idea of off direct heat makes sure that you smoke the bird a little and the beer heats up in the can. now the trick is to pour any remaining rub on throughout the entire cooking process :D
I've cooked a few of these recently, with the gizmo you can get at Safeway, and a catered life has the shiat down. 165 in the breast will not get the thighs done thoroughly, the bones in the thigh hold up the show. When the thighs hit 165 the whole bird is done and you have chicken juice running everywhere. I put some red potatoes in the base of the cooker and some sweet corn and it was an amazing meal. Thanks to everyone for their input.
I used a 23" Weber and the lid barely made it on. You have to consider the hieght of the bird standing up when you chose your grill.
The Safeway chicken cooker cost $8 and cleaned up in like 11 seconds.
~ Suey