PDA

View Full Version : San Diego This weekend...

cdog
06-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Looks like instead of havasu i'll be going to sd and putting the boat in mission bay. Where do you go and where do you launch? Is there anywhere to beach the boat like at the river? Help.....

SummitKarl
06-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Ski Beach is the place down there (accross from Sea World on Ingram street)
but no self respecting boat owner would ever put their boat in that place. you will spend more time cleaning it than using it, If you have to put in there man, go buy a big can of WD-40 and just spray in like crazy all over you eng. it will make clean up much easier, and will most likely save any exposed ALU. parts.
MAN DONT DO IT "YOUR BOAT IS BROKEN" :wink:

BROADMINDED
06-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Listin To Summit Cdog. Wd-40 Is A Must. And Dont Be Afraid To Get Everything. Buy A Couple Cans. And Then Also There Is Some Really Cool Stuff Called "salt Away". When You Take Your Boat Out Of The Water Yo Clean It, You Hook This Stuff Up To The Water Hose And Just Start Spaying Everything. You Can Even Run It Through Your Engine If You Wanted To. We Do It And It Does Not Hurt Anything Motor At All. Dont Forget To Get Your Trailer. Take A Picture Of Your Trailer Before You Put Your Boat In The Water And Then Look At Your Trailer In About A Week And See What That Salt Does. It Is Some Nasty Stuff. Sorry For The Long Post

Lightning
06-27-2005, 05:02 PM
The other alternative is to repeat the process in fresh water the day after or that afternoon assuming that you have time.

cdog
06-27-2005, 06:15 PM
I've got a galva tube trailer. And closed cooling. Other than that, How would I get water on the engine. Is it somehow worse than HB or Long Beach? Or are you just refering to the salt water in general?

SummitKarl
06-27-2005, 06:47 PM
I've got a galva tube trailer. And closed cooling. Other than that, How would I get water on the engine. Is it somehow worse than HB or Long Beach? Or are you just refering to the salt water in general?
perty much just Mission bay, my friend bought his first boat about 1980 or so and I got to work on it for rides/captian, worst nightmare still come form cleaning the bottom of that boat once a month, and I got thousands of hours down there on jetski's (lived in S.D for 40yrs), the real problem is salt seperates at 165deg and deposites itself anywhere it wants, and thats where most problems begin right at the gaskets. but you say you have a heat exchanger so it won't be too bad, water will get in the billge and the moving parts will fling it around, and I assume you have a outdrive that will fil up with salt water. HAVASU ON IT WORST DAY!!! will never be as choppy as mission bay, unless you like the 5mph zone.

jdogginla
06-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Mission bay is no bueno. If you're looking to stay in the bay.......there is no option for you but launch at the bay. If you're taking her out into the salt/Big Blue, do yourself a favor and launch from Shelter Island. Bay is dirty, crowded and dirty. Shelter Island you can cruise the Naval ships, head to Coronado, head out to point and what not.

Mandelon
06-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Don't let these women get you worked up. I have boated on Mission Bay for years. I've never seen it as big as Havi gets, even on Memorial or the 4th of July. We used to wakeboard every damn weekend, even in December and January with full suits.....
There are several ramps to use, Just East of seaworld is a wide and new one. There is a water spigot over next to the RV dump station. Bring your own hose and rinse the trailer if its an issue for you. I rinse the hull when I get home and let the motor run on the hose for 20 minutes while I wash and wipe down everything.
The DeAnza cove ramp is right off the 5 fwy near Fiesta Island. Its wide but not as new as the other one. Also at Dana landing has one also.
The 5 mph zone is pretty big, but the main section is wide open, with no speed limits. There are some nice marinas to cruise through and the penguin cage over by Seaworld is kinda cool to see.
IF you are adventurous head out the main channel and go south to San Diego Bay, there is a lot more to see. Or launch in San Diego Bay at Harbor Island or near the airport at Spanish Landing. Beautiful Scenery.
The Coronado Cays:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/42boat_007-med.jpg
Downtown:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/42Day_on_the_Bay_025-med.jpg

TBONE1904
06-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Looks like instead of havasu i'll be going to sd and putting the boat in mission bay. Where do you go and where do you launch? Is there anywhere to beach the boat like at the river? Help.....
Its not all that exciting, but there is San V the fresh water alternative!!!! I actually might be trying to get the party started at San V this 4th...wooo hooo!!!

SummitKarl
06-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Don't let these women get you worked up. I have boated on Mission Bay for years. I've never seen it as big as Havi gets, even on Memorial or the 4th of July. We used to wakeboard every damn weekend, even in December and January with full suits.....
There are several ramps to use, Just East of seaworld is a wide and new one. There is a water spigot over next to the RV dump station. Bring your own hose and rinse the trailer if its an issue for you. I rinse the hull when I get home and let the motor run on the hose for 20 minutes while I wash and wipe down everything.
The DeAnza cove ramp is right off the 5 fwy near Fiesta Island. Its wide but not as new as the other one. Also at Dana landing has one also.
The 5 mph zone is pretty big, but the main section is wide open, with no speed limits. There are some nice marinas to cruise through and the penguin cage over by Seaworld is kinda cool to see.
IF you are adventurous head out the main channel and go south to San Diego Bay, there is a lot more to see. Or launch in San Diego Bay at Harbor Island or near the airport at Spanish Landing. Beautiful Scenery.
The Coronado Cays:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/42boat_007-med.jpg
Downtown:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/42Day_on_the_Bay_025-med.jpg
mandelon is right there are some cool things to do there, San Diego Bay offers concerts on the bay at Humpherys, mission bay has it's good points too. many a day I woke up at the Sea world marina and it was way cool, just my 20+years on the water there taught me how rough mission bay is on the running gear, thats all just bring the wd-40 and lots of towels and yes!!! bring the hose, once won't hurt.

ROZ
06-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Mandelon has nailed it.... The Ramp to use is the new one off Sea World Drive... It's 3 lights off the freeway... You can't miss it. You can check out one of the shows from the water... I think cruising San Diego Bay would be better ,though.. More to see...Cornado, the cruise ships, etc..

cdog
06-27-2005, 09:36 PM
I can leave the bay and go out to the big blue and around to the other bay right? Does anyone know what exit it is that i'd get off on exactly to go to the good launch by sea world. Are the ramps real crouded?

jdogginla
06-27-2005, 10:32 PM
I can leave the bay and go out to the big blue and around to the other bay right? Does anyone know what exit it is that i'd get off on exactly to go to the good launch by sea world. Are the ramps real crouded?
Yes you can go around.........not sure of the name of the exit though.

Goodtime$
06-27-2005, 10:38 PM
I live down the street from Mission Bay, depending on what type of boat you have it is not that fun..lots of pwc's running around. San Diego Bay is much bigger, tons of sights to see etc..plus Peohes resturaunt in Coronado is pro...
the exit on the 5south i believe is shelter island/fiesta island..it will say mission bay exit..get off make a right, than keep going until you see the sign for south shores launch ramp..make a right there...if you have passed sea world, you went to far..there are 3 launch ramps into misson bay so no worries
for San Diego bay..launch in Point Loma and do the tour, the ocean tour from bay to bay is rad..you see all OB and Point Loma etc..fish on...from SD bay, run out to the coronados islands and drop a line in, tons of fish right now

SDLifesaver
06-28-2005, 05:25 AM
The ramp that is just east of Sea World on Sea World drive is called South Shores Boat Ramp, big and wide and tons of parking. A beautiful evening would be to launch at shelter island and motor around point loma and watch the fireworks off the ob pier. San Vicente will be a zoo and they only let 100 boats on the water so after that it is 1 on and 1 off. Usual sunday wait in the am is about 2-3 hours unless you get there at 05:30. Good luck. There will be a great fireworks show anywhere in the mission bay area because there are several shows that can be seen from there.

CandyA$$
06-28-2005, 06:18 AM
You don't have any Lakes? I would never put my boat in salt water.

cola
06-28-2005, 06:30 AM
You don't have any Lakes? I would never put my boat in salt water.
Shelter Island is where we stayed. Just make the run out and around to the north if you need to. Have fun, it's nice down there. ;)
Late, Mike

Wicky
06-28-2005, 06:35 AM
Only when the Albacore/Yellowfin bite is on!!

Mandelon
06-28-2005, 07:27 AM
CDog you will live up to your name by heading out to the sea....
From 5 south you would exit at Tecolote / Sea World Drive. bear right on the offramp and go West. You will see the Sea World tower on the right, just head towards that. Before you get all the way to Sea World there is a parking lot, for the launch ramp. It is nice and new and well done. It has clean bathrooms, a dump station, and a wide concrete ramp with courtesy docks.
Bring a hose and you can wash down the trailer after launching if you want. Just ignore the sign... LOL
From the ramp head off to the left, west towards the bridge. Go under it and head for the next bridge. This is the main channel that will take you out the breakwater to the ocean. Its a 5 mph zone until you hit the buoy line most of the way out. The rollers will come into the channel, so you'll know if there are any swells or not.
Be aware that there are kelp beds from about the pier (Ocean Beach Pier) most of the way down to the point. Swing wide and go around them stay in deeper water and you can easily go around them. They will catch your outdrive and are a pain if you get caught in em. Its about a mile or two down the coast around Point Loma to the SD Bay channel. There are some big ships that come and go, so pay attention.
There are a few good restaurants you can visit, the Midway is on display now which is a cool aircraft carrier to visit. The Coronado bridge is halfway down and there are the Cays to check out, kind of like the keys in Parker, just bigger and triple the prices.!!!
We've done this trip a bunch of times with never any problems.
MY PM's don't work here but you can email me at RichardB@SpectrumRenovations.com if you have other questions.

riverroyal
06-28-2005, 07:34 AM
you think havasu is crowded,,,mission on the 4th is a joke,you will never park for starters,not sure where you live,but if you on the I-5 going down the coast,good luck,last weekend of the del mar fair....dont let me forget the jetskies,tons of them,out number boats by alot.I live here in SD and wouldnt even consider going there,hate to be a bummer and all,but you really should think of another place,Id do lake elsinore before mission bay,water has cleaned up some,still green,but no salt,and party cove in the back is fun..Also theres a boat ramp near sea world now,off sea world dr,best ramp,,just get there by 7am if you want a beach,maybe earlier due to sea world fire works at night

Mandelon
06-28-2005, 08:04 AM
It will be crowded. :hammerhea I've been out on holiday weekends and its a scene alright. Dana landing may be less crowded. Just go early like at any popular place, Havasu or Katherines...

Wicky
06-28-2005, 08:11 AM
It will be crowded. :hammerhea I've been out on holiday weekends and its a scene alright. Dana landing may be less crowded. Just go early like at any popular place, Havasu or Katherines...
Dana has no more freshwater for washdown. Cabrillo discontinued it too!! :confused:

Steamin' Rice
06-28-2005, 09:11 AM
We'll be in San Diego this weekend also.. We're not taking the boat, but we will be out on either a 33 Formula or a 27 Hallett in San Diego Bay.

cdog
06-28-2005, 09:14 AM
We'll be in San Diego this weekend also.. We're not taking the boat, but we will be out on either a 33 Formula or a 27 Hallett in San Diego Bay.
Why are you not taking the boat? It looks like the bay is where it's at. What do you do the whole time, just cruise around?

Steamin' Rice
06-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Why are you not taking the boat? It looks like the bay is where it's at. What do you do the whole time, just cruise around?
I'm being lazy and am going to mooch rides from my family this weekend.. :D I'm probably going to regret not taking the boat down.. We're staying on Shelter Island and will hang out around there most of the weekend. On Mon night we're going to watch the fireworks by boat. Where are you guys staying?

cdog
06-28-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm being lazy and am going to mooch rides from my family this weekend.. :D I'm probably going to regret not taking the boat down.. We're staying on Shelter Island and will hang out around there most of the weekend. On Mon night we're going to watch the fireworks by boat. Where are you guys staying?
So far I have no room. In fact i'm not sure who's going with me. All I know is i'm not sitting around here. My wife will be in texas for a weddding. How much are the rooms at shelter island? Do they have docs or a beach? All else fails my sister lives there so I can go stay with her or sleep in the boat. I've got to find someone to watch my dog.

Steamin' Rice
06-28-2005, 09:37 AM
We're staying at HUmphrey's on Shelter Island, but they might be booked. Part of the reason that we are not planning to bring the boat down is because we didn't have a dock to keep the boat at for the weekend. You might be able to find a last minute cancellation this week. I think the bay club hotel www.bayclubhotel.com has guest docks... Let's talk later in the week.