PDA

View Full Version : What scanner for Powerstrokes?

DEEZ NUTTS
06-27-2005, 04:32 PM
My Powerstroke is out of warranty so its time to do the dirtywork myself.
On the highway it stuttered for a few seconds and threw up the check engine light. Pulled off and shut it down. Restart cancelled check engine light but then it died at idle. Re fired and drove home and have had no problem since.
Anybody have an idea about this and which code reader deal should I get?

NuckinFutz
06-27-2005, 04:36 PM
My friend who owns a performance truck shop says the best bet for the money is the Edge Evolution. It can reset all codes, shows the codes in terms a normal human can understand, and also has three settings for increased power and supposedly gas mileage. I'm putting one on as soon as he gets the rest of my lift kit in stock. I'm doing 4" exhaust as well. Heading to Powell tommorow, and planning on getting everything done to the truck when I get home from this trip.

BROADMINDED
06-27-2005, 05:08 PM
I Am Haveing Second Thoughts About My Ford. Went Out To Blythe For The Weekened. Going Out To The Water Sunday Morning And The Thing Dies. Wont Start Wont Do Nothing. So Here I Am Stranded In This Sh$t Hole Town Blythe And I Have To Call A Friend Of Mine To Come All The Way Out There To Pick Us Up And Tow My Boat Home. And Then Have A Tow Truck Come All The Way Out From Montebelo To Pick It Up And Take It Back Here. Been In The Shop 4 Times For The Check Engine Light Coming On. Tow Bill Was $1100.00 And Ford Basicly Told Me To Go Pound Sand. Needless To Say If They Dont Pay The Tow Bill And Lemon Law This Thing There Will Be Some Sort Of Law Action Being Taken. Oh By The Way It Is A 2003 With Only 14,000 Mi. On It. I Dont Have Any More Confidence In This Truck Anymore. Well Thanks For Letting Let Off A Lil Steam.

DEEZ NUTTS
06-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Dont get me wrong, I like my truck. Its a 2000 with 53K and time is up on warranty. I just need to know what codes its throwing.

Mardonzi
06-27-2005, 05:25 PM
No idea Deez,, Neighbor friend with an 04 just bought one,, I'l find out how his worked and let you know though. As far as fords go,,, I'm a bit squeamish about mine these days,, an '05 and it's already had a fuel injector grenade, the fuel injection control module go out (had to coast 10 miles into Page) and i now hear that there are a couple of recalls in the works for the engine and tranny,,, not a good sign. I should have kept my 97...

Dana Marine Products
06-27-2005, 08:19 PM
I had the exact same situation with my 2002 7.3. It would shut off for no reason. It would happen anywhere, at a stop light or going down the freeway at 70 mph. It would just shut off. I'd pop it in nuetral, re-start it and it would run fine for 10 days and it would do it again. I have to agree the I have zero confidence in these trucks. My friend had the cam position sensor go out on his. When that sensor fails it won't re-start. A 50.00 sensor fails and your stuck. Mine was the crank position sensor. I also had the throttle position sensor go bad, the truck will start, idle, but no throttle response which is always nice when your turning into oncoming traffic. I acutally worry about letting my wife take the truck anywhere.
Ford gives a 5 yr 100K warranty on the engine and trans with a $100.00 deductible. Unfortunately I've had to use it alot. I've got a pretty extensive pile of repair bills from Ford, luckily all have been warrantied. On the flip side, Ford trucks are built to the hilt, and they're chassis will take some abuse. I've seen more Chevrolet's with broken front tie rods and axles. It's a tough call, it just seems rediculous to spend 50-60K on a truck and have these problems.

rmarion
06-27-2005, 08:32 PM
http://www.thedieselstop.com/

dexman38
06-27-2005, 09:04 PM
i have a 2001 130000 miles no problems i have a superchip and the edge with attuide the super chip is on the nuber 1 setting and the edge with attuide you can adjust from the cab. while driving top speed is pass 100mph. more power then i ever need . pulls the boat with no problems .