PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft updates...should I?

HammerDown
06-27-2005, 04:41 PM
*Windows Malicious Software Removal Toll.
*XP Service Pack-2
Reason I ask, last year when I down loaded SP2 my computer got allllllllllll F'ed up :yuk: untill I payed someone to show me how to remove it. :notam:
My question is about Windows Malicious software removal Tool...(do I really need it), if I install that one will it be bad news like SP2 was :confused:
Thanks for any suggestions, I get the "updates ready for down load" every time I turn on the computer.
PS. running Windows XP home edition.

Wonderboy
06-27-2005, 04:50 PM
*XP Service Pack-2
Reason I ask, last year when I down loaded SP2 my computer got allllllllllll F'ed up :yuk: untill I payed someone to show me how to remove it. :notam:
My question is about Windows Malicious software removal Tool...(do I really need it), if I install that one will it be bad news like SP2 was :confused:
Thanks for any suggestions, I get the "updates ready for down load" every time I turn on the computer.
I don't remember seeing this one in particular, but I always keep my computer up to date and have never had any problems. I figure every last bit of protection I can get is for the better.

Dawn Patrol
06-27-2005, 04:56 PM
I run XP Pro, I have it setup to download updates auto.
I have never had a problem with this operating system since I installed it.

Kim Hanson
06-27-2005, 04:57 PM
*XP Service Pack-2
I just looked and don't do it, that is not on Updates........( . )( . ).......... :idea:

Wonderboy
06-27-2005, 04:59 PM
I just looked and don't do it, that is not on Updates........( . )( . ).......... :idea:
I was just thinking the same thing. I wonder if you picked something up into your registry?

uvindex
06-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Microsoft does offer a recently announced Malicious Software Removal Tool (i.e., a malware, spyware, adware removal tool). See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890830 for details.

Kim Hanson
06-27-2005, 05:04 PM
I was just thinking the same thing. I wonder if you picked something up into your registry?
I run XP and it tells you when there is new Updates and that one is not on there, I would say " VIRUS " stay away from it...........( . )( . ).......Or don't believe me and try it, Im just a dumbass with a puter..what do I know anyways :D

Wonderboy
06-27-2005, 05:05 PM
I run XP and it tells you when there is new Updates and that one is not on there, I would say " VIRUS " stay away from it...........( . )( . ).......Or don't believe me and try it, Im just a dumbass with a puter..what do I know anyways :D
I have mine set up for auto updates too. It's safest.

NorCal Gameshow
06-27-2005, 05:05 PM
I remember reading that their spyware tool was free at first but, eventually will cost you...(they should man up and take responsiblty for their flaws)
as far as security updates, do them... if you have any doubts go to microsoft web page and get them there.

Kim Hanson
06-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Microsoft does offer a recently announced Malicious Software Removal Tool (i.e., a malware, spyware, adware removal tool). See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890830 for details.
Well now, I have this nice red box that flash's up when I start my puter saying Malicious Scripting ( don't run )and I just ran that thing from Microsoft and it found nothing ! :jawdrop: I have about 500 songs from LimeWire, nothing....It really should have found something you would think since LimeWire is a Shared System for music?........( . )( . ).........

Heater
06-27-2005, 05:21 PM
*XP Service Pack-2
The malicious software tool is MS's SPyware, I download it with no problems, comes out monthly.

piper
06-27-2005, 05:23 PM
If it isn't broken.... don't fix it. :D

Kim Hanson
06-27-2005, 05:27 PM
If it isn't broken.... don't fix it. :D
Good advice right there...........( . )( . )........ :cool:

uvindex
06-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Well now, I have this nice red box that flash's up when I start my puter saying Malicious Scripting ( don't run )and I just ran that thing from Microsoft and it found nothing ! :jawdrop: I have about 500 songs from LimeWire, nothing....It really should have found something you would think since LimeWire is a Shared System for music?........( . )( . ).........Limewire is simply a file sharing app, it is not malware and therefore one wouldn't expect a malicious software removal tool to complain about it. Limewire's free version is supported by banner ads (not by spyware); its pro version has no banner ads and costs $10.

uvindex
06-27-2005, 05:49 PM
If it isn't broken.... don't fix it. :DUsually good advice. However, unless the original poster is running some kind of spyware removal tool his system might be very broken without his knowledge (and it could even have key loggers sending passwords and such over the 'net).
If the original poster is not running some kind of anti-spyware tool, then he should indeed install and use one, whether it is Microsoft's, Lavasoft's, or any of the other reputable ones. :)

HammerDown
06-28-2005, 05:07 AM
Usually good advice. However, unless the original poster is running some kind of spyware removal tool his system might be very broken without his knowledge (and it could even have key loggers sending passwords and such over the 'net).
If the original poster is not running some kind of anti-spyware tool, then he should indeed install and use one, whether it is Microsoft's, Lavasoft's, or any of the other reputable ones. :)
Actually I'm running Spybot and Norton AntiVirus 2005. Computer runs great! :rollside:
So with that, should I go for the (Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool)?
NO WAY do I want the SP2 again... :yuk:
Also as I mentioned...everytime I turn on the computer I get the notification pop-up those 2 upgrades are ready for downloading...(question) > both are checked, if I un-check the SP2 that one (won't) download...correct?
Prior to the drama that SP2 caused me :crossx: I always downloaded the Microsoft updates.
thanks again...

uvindex
06-28-2005, 05:38 AM
Actually I'm running Spybot and Norton AntiVirus 2005. Computer runs great! :rollside:
So with that, should I go for the (Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool)?
NO WAY do I want the SP2 again... :yuk:
Also as I mentioned...everytime I turn on the computer I get the notification pop-up those 2 upgrades are ready for downloading...(question) > both are checked, if I un-check the SP2 that one (won't) download...correct?
Prior to the drama that SP2 caused me :crossx: I always downloaded the Microsoft updates.
thanks again...If you're already running Spybot, then I wouldn't install the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool if I were you. However, many folks recommend using more than one malware tool, so if you want to be extra thorough you might consider installing it (or another tool, such as Adaware.)
Correct, the unchecked updates won't install when they're unchecked. Umm, since you don't want SP2, you might consider turning off automatic updates, as it is going to keep nagging you about SP2 (plus new updates are built on top of SP2.) :)

HammerDown
06-28-2005, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestions...Ray :cool:

CandyA$$
06-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Yes the Sp2 is. now the other one ?
I installed the sp2 on all the computers and no problems.
Got to Microsoft.com and check for updates there and see what comes up.

CandyA$$
06-28-2005, 06:13 AM
If you're already running Spybot, then I wouldn't install the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool if I were you. However, many folks recommend using more than one malware tool, so if you want to be extra thorough you might consider installing it (or another tool, such as Adaware.)
If you are running Spoybot, adaware would pick up on everything that spybot picks up, they interfer with each other. I use Microsoft spyware and it picks up more then spybot and adaware.
I know that norton is a good program but I just got AVG and it picked up lots of viruses that norton did not find, makes you question.
Just my .02 cents.

uvindex
06-28-2005, 06:33 AM
If you are running Spoybot, adaware would pick up on everything that spybot picks up, they interfer with each other.
Just my .02 cents.If you're seeing interference then something else is going on, as the two programs should coexist fine. As far as using multiple spyware apps, here's a quote from PC World, "Experts recommend that you employ two--or even three--anti-spyware tools. The more you use, the likelier they are to counter the individual biases of each anti-spyware company." (See http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121583,00.asp) The article also states, "The next time you run a scan with your anti-spyware tool, it might miss some programs. Some adware companies, arguing that their software is benign, have petitioned anti-spyware firms to stop warning consumers about their software. Other companies have resorted to sending cease-and-desist letters that threaten legal action."

Kim Hanson
06-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Yes the Sp2 is. now the other one ?
I installed the sp2 on all the computers and no problems.
Got to Microsoft.com and check for updates there and see what comes up.
It said no new updates for my system, must have it in there already :D .......( . )( . )........

HammerDown
06-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Do these numbers mean anything ( K B 8 9 0 8 3 0 7 ) ...? They are also in the "new Microsoft updates are ready for downloading" pop-up.

Kim Hanson
06-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Do these numbers mean anything ( K B 8 9 0 8 3 0 7 ) ...? They are also in the "new Microsoft updates are ready for downloading" pop-up.
If you use the Update thingy, download it............( . )( . ).......

CandyA$$
06-28-2005, 12:20 PM
If you are not sure, check out the details and or the website mention above.

Yarder
06-28-2005, 10:17 PM
The malicious software removal tool is Microsoft's new way of fixin the little holes in the os...being the swiss cheese that it is.
I would suggest downloading the update..It is a run once program and comes monthly...or bi-weekly..
Sp2 should not cause issues unless you are running some funky stuff..I have not seen any issues on the comps I have done...
Soon XP w/ SP1 will go the way of te rest of Microsoft's software..unsupported and unpatched..It's the upgrade or die curve..

Bense468
06-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Hammer its up to you if you want to download it or not. There are other spyware removal tools out. You mentioned spybot. Another is Adaware.
I would download SP2. I have installed this on over 1000 machines without any issues. XP has a restore feature and its very easy to use. You can create a system restore point before trying any software. If it happens to fail you can boot in safe mode and restore back to whatever date you would like. You will not lose data in between those dates. Meaning if you created some word docs and then restored back a week those word docs are still there, just not any new programs you installed within that week. Only bad part with this is it will restore a virus if you had one. So as soon as you do this you want to re-run your Live update on your Norton.
When SP2 is installed it creates a restore point before hand. Just because you had issues before don't be afraid to do it again. If you have any issues get a hold of me and I will walk you through restoring it back.

HammerDown
06-29-2005, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone,
Bense468 I'll have to do a search (on HB) to see just why I had all the issues with SP2 back then. I recall posting my problems back then :hammerhea
My thread from hell below...how it started
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65985&highlight=SP2
And the cure thread...
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66633&highlight=SP2