PDA

View Full Version : Painting engine comp/bilge w/Gelcoat ?

TJS
06-27-2005, 05:17 PM
I am going to paint my engine compartment with Gel coat paint(white non lamenating that hardens) I got at West Marine. What a rip. Anyway, the guy who asked to help me as I was reading the instructions on the can was sorry he asked me that question. I told him what I was doing and told him it was a Nordic Jet. He looked at me like I had 5 heads. Here in Connecticut, there are not many Jets around.
Anyway I stated that the can does not say what pressure to spray it at, it just states to use acetone to thin it out for spraying. He points to some hokey looking jar with a bottle and a nozzle on it. He say use this. I was like ya right. I have nice compressor, two water separators and a nice HVLP spray gun and I am going to use that I told him. He was like duh....I don't know and walked away. So anyway here I am asking what is the usual pressure to run at the gun. Also I have large and small needle valves for the gun as well, so if it is thick is does not matter.
What is the best prep for this. Sanding material etc. Thanks.
T.J.

Lake Ape
06-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Billy B might be able to help you on this, post it in how to section of this forum.

NELSON#109
06-27-2005, 06:07 PM
get a hold of one of the guys on SOUTHWINDJETBOATS.COM. they have sprayed a bunch of gel coat. they will tell you how to do it and how to prep.

mexrunner
06-27-2005, 08:48 PM
prep it with 80 grit on a da and tight spots by hand with 80 grit. before you shoot it wipe down with acetone. i use an hvlp with a 1.8 tip after you spray it you need to clean the gun immediatly also this is what i mix my mekp per a quart hot day 13-14cc medium day around 75deg= 16-17cc and at 65-60deg=18-20cc also you need to spray pva over the gel so it will harden all the way through. let it sit a couple hours wipe the pva off with acetone soaked rag then color sand and buff. ps my gun pressures are at 15-20psi although a conventional gun will work best at 35-40 psi . hope this helps Adam

Nucking futs
06-27-2005, 09:49 PM
PVA is water based and washes off with a wet rag.Dont use acetone to wipe it off,that will damage the gell. Exterior shot gell is not the same animal as interior shot gell.
Tim

FOURQ
06-27-2005, 09:58 PM
also this is what i mix my mekp per a quart hot day 13-14cc medium day around 75deg= 16-17cc and at 65-60deg=18-20cc
also you need to spray pva over the gel so it will harden all the way through. let it sit a couple hours wipe the pva off with acetone soaked rag
i think your mixing a tad bit to hot.......... id say between 5 and 10 cc per quart cup... especially for a first timer....PVA washes off with water and id leave it on for more than a few hours ...NOT acetone that will damage a freshly gelled surface....
adjust the gun to how you like it try it on a test piece first to get it adjusted and go from there. every gun and person is a little diffrent so just go with it and set it how you like as far as haveing a bigger tip id use it and not thin it down as much for better coverage and a quicker job... let it cure for a few days before walking on it.. if it was mine id finish it off with a nice duratech clear for the hi gloss shine and a better seal...this is Nelson#109's boat before the clear
http://www.clmracing.com/nelsons%20boat/2.JPG
after the clear
http://www.clmracing.com/nelsons%20boat/5.JPG
i know every one does things a little diffrent and this is from my past experiance and likings.....
Q

TJS
06-28-2005, 04:02 AM
i think your mixing a tad bit to hot.......... id say between 5 and 10 cc per quart cup... especially for a first timer....PVA washes off with water and id leave it on for more than a few hours ...NOT acetone that will damage a freshly gelled surface....
adjust the gun to how you like it try it on a test piece first to get it adjusted and go from there. every gun and person is a little diffrent so just go with it and set it how you like as far as haveing a bigger tip id use it and not thin it down as much for better coverage and a quicker job... let it cure for a few days before walking on it.. if it was mine id finish it off with a nice duratech clear for the hi gloss shine and a better seal...this is Nelson#109's boat before the clear
http://www.clmracing.com/nelsons%20boat/2.JPG
after the clear
http://www.clmracing.com/nelsons%20boat/5.JPG
i know every one does things a little diffrent and this is from my past experiance and likings.....
Q
Thanks for all the responses. The gel coat I have comes in a quart(white in color) and it says it hardens without the PVA(purple stuff). They had cans in where you had to get the PVA but it is only the bilge/engine area. I also have the hardener that comes with the can. I have a larger tip as well for my gun. I am used to spraying thicker cause I used SEM Rust stuff on my frame of my truck and it was thick as well.
Where do you get Duratech clear and what do I need for it (reducer, catalyist). Please be specific. Thanks again.
T.J.

FOURQ
06-28-2005, 05:45 AM
the duratech is a polyester as well so it uses the same mekpits just shot hotter . it is thinned down with additives so there is no need for thinning or anything. here is their website (http://www.duratec1.com/ag11.html)
Q

Wally_Gator
06-28-2005, 06:35 AM
Sounds like the gel you have is mixed with Styrene Wax. The wax acts as a surfacing agent to allow the Gel to cure. Same principal as the PVA.
If you need to thin it with acetone no more than 10% by volume...

TJS
06-28-2005, 04:50 PM
the duratech is a polyester as well so it uses the same mekpits just shot hotter . it is thinned down with additives so there is no need for thinning or anything. here is their website (http://www.duratec1.com/ag11.html)
Q
Forq,
Thanks for the site. I am little confused of the product. Nobody has this in CT. I called many body shops so I went online to order it. I am confused of what I need. The part number link you gave shows to add it 1:1 with the gelcoat color. Is this what you used or did you use the clear top coat product that they make as well. Thanks again. I am going to do this in black so I need to get the coloring agent to mix with the white gel-coat I have on hand. Again, thanks for the help.
T.J.

TRG
06-28-2005, 08:55 PM
On the same web site you can get a "high gloss additive" (not too sure on the part #) but it is a dura technologies product and you essentially add it to any color gel and it will cure to a shine just as you would achieve if you were to wet sand and buff (will have a slight stipple)
and i forget who posted to use 5-10 cc's per quart, that is incorrect information, the "clear top coat" (flo-cote) needs to be cat. @ at least 20cc's per quart (wich is aprox.2% by vol.) if you choose to under catalyse your mixture, you will find that the surface will stay kind of rubbery, and never shell hard like a gel or properly cat. "clear top cote" would (in most cases)
as for the where abouts you might be able to locate these products, you can call me at the shop (626-991-9031) mon-fri 8-?.
Hope i did not ruffle anyones feathers,...that would be RUDE!
Todd
TRG fiberglass
4691 Arrow hwy.
Montclare CA

TJS
06-29-2005, 04:17 AM
toddnjuzz,
Thanks for the reply man. After staying up late last night and researching the duratec stuff I see they have many products. They have the high gloss clear, clear topcoat, and the clear additive just to name a few. After reading and reading to see what application I need I could either use the additive(mixed 1:1 with my pigmented black gelcoat) or the hight gloss clear(to go over the black cured gelcoat). I also think I may have found a supplier in CT. that might have what I need. Thanks for your help. I will post pics of the progress when I start this project.
T.J.

FOURQ
06-29-2005, 05:47 AM
TODD im the one that said 5 - 10 cc's for the gell but i also posted shoot the top coat hotter per mfg specs.