PDA

View Full Version : berkley questions

brazosriver
05-15-2001, 05:17 AM
I bought and restored my first jet this winter except for the berkley pump and have a couple of questions..direction nozzle has about a 1/4 inch up and down play in it..Is this acceptable? There is no sideways play at all. Also i removed fittings from bowl and filled them with gear oil. I started getting gear oil dripping out the impellor opening and was wondering if there was an overflow or maybe a crack from not winterizing correctly. Any help would be appreciated...brazosriver

MellowYelloW
05-15-2001, 04:03 PM
hey brazo, unfortunatly i cant answer your question but if you call or e-mail tom at Jet Boat Performance (805-466-4719) he would be able to help you out.
you can also check out his web site at WWW.JetBoatPerformance.com (http://WWW.JetBoatPerformance.com)
brian

james s
05-15-2001, 04:22 PM
Brazo,
What kind of pump? Do you have a diverter?You should not have any vertical movement on you nozzle unless the tiller shaft pins and/or nyliner bushings that go around the pins are extremely worn. As for the leakage your experiencing, there are 2 bowl bearings and an oil seal inside the bowl that should prevent any loss of lubricant. I would suggest pulling the bowl and checking both the bearings and seal. That should cure your problem. Good luck.

brazosriver
05-16-2001, 07:05 AM
Thanks james....pump is je5 berkley i think. Can the bowl be removed without removing the pump. Should i send bowl out to have seals and bearing replaced in bowl or will it be something i can do? Just a rookie at these jets but learning fast..thanks again

Jetmugg
05-16-2001, 07:33 AM
Brazos:
If you have up/down play, definitely check the nyliner inserts. These things are cheap (about $1 each), and some hardware stores even carry them. Yes, the bowl can generally be removed with the pump still in the boat, but you will have to take off the transom adapter. There is a pretty good book on Jet Drive repair that is published by Seloc.
The bowl seals and bearings are not too difficult to replace, they just take a hammer and a good driver. Anotehr thing to consider would be to have the whole jet drive refurbished by a professional shop. MPD and Walts both do grea work at reasonable prices, and they are willing to talk to you about the work. If you have put a lot of time and money into the rest of the boat, don't skimp on the pump. The impeller to wear ring dimension is critical for performance, and unless you have specialized tools and abilities, this is work that is definitely best left to a pro.
Steve.

brazosriver
05-16-2001, 10:03 AM
thanks jetmugg....Where are MPD and Walt's located? I guess places like CP Performance can sell me the bearings and oil seal. Also steve do you use gear oil in yours or do you use another type of grease? brazos

james s
05-16-2001, 10:05 AM
Brazo,
Go to www.cpperformance.com (http://www.cpperformance.com) - they have not only the book published by Seloc (which if you do the work yourself is great to have), but also have all parts necessary to repair/rebuild your pump. As far as what pump you have, there should be a tag plate on top of the pump which says "Berkeley" on it - this is where you will find exactly what type of pump you have. Good luck!!!

Jetmugg
05-16-2001, 12:44 PM
Brazos:
MPD (Marine Performance Design) and Walt's Hot Boat are both in California. If you go to the Real Jet Boats main page, there are links to both sites. If you are a midwesterner, Don's Pump Service is one of the best known pump shops around. They are in Columbus, OH.
CP is a good place to buy parts, they have good service and good prices. I currently have a Dominator pump, which (believe it or not) uses a water-lubricated bearing. There is no gear oil whatsoever in my pump bowl. The Seloc manual is definitely valuable to have. I rebuilt my first pump using information in that manual.
Steve.

james s
05-16-2001, 02:12 PM
Brazo,
I just rebuilt my JB pump using the Seloc manual. If you're mechanically inclined, it's a no brainer. As for the bowl oil, it is recommended to use 90wt gear oil - something like you would use for differential fluid on your car/truck. You can, from CPPerformance, buy everything you need from individual parts to complete rebuild kits with everything. If you're in NorCal and want someone to do it, check out Walts. He is doing a flow job for me on a new bowl, and he's got a real good rep. Enjoy your toy!!!

brazosriver
05-17-2001, 05:14 AM
Thanks Jetmugg and James..will get the manual. Plan on doing all the work myself. Will let you know how it comes out. By the way, I live in the dallas area. Lots of water and long summer.... Brazos

Cas42
05-17-2001, 08:17 AM
Brazo,
I believe CP Performance bought out Berkeley so they would definately be the place to get parts.