PDA

View Full Version : help w/496ho

daytona22
06-27-2005, 06:33 PM
i was in the water sat. and as i came up on plane, the alarm beeped, then went solid, then shut the motor down. it restarted and ran fine as long as i didn't go for the throttle. i repeated above senario 2 more times, then got disgusted and put it on the trailer. boat is at dealer, but he doesn't have the scan tool. it's a 2002 in a daytona22 w/110 hours and it gets treated to the best for service. i never showed temp above 180, and i never had less than 40 lbs. oil pres. even while the alarm was solid. the drive resivor was between add and full, and i disconected the wires from the drive res. and it still did the same thing. dealer is starting with the impeller, but w/the 4th comming up, i'm a little worried i won't have the boat back. any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. has this happened to anybody else? i bought this setup because it was supposed to be bullitproof and brainless - man am i depressed!!!!!

daytona22
06-27-2005, 06:42 PM
where is it? front or back? how much? how do u check it?

waterboy
06-27-2005, 06:53 PM
i would check to see how much oil it has mine was low and did the same thing

daytona22
06-27-2005, 06:56 PM
i'm in ohio, so i have to fix it here, which is why i asked for help here - i know u guys will know the answer, i just have to ask. i relocated the throttle cable (dealer installed) last fall, and went with a silicone lined one so i could get the shifter to move smoothly. the way elim. mounted it, and the cable they used were both suspect. i could hardly move it and the wife had lots of trouble bringing ot to the trailer - i will check w/dealer in the a.m. to see if anything came loose back there!!!!

daytona22
06-27-2005, 06:58 PM
waterboy - do u mean engine oil? the first time it did it i was crossing a large wake at a relitively slow speed and the boat got tossed pretty good, but then it did it 2 more times in smooth water when i went 4 the gas

waterboy
06-27-2005, 07:02 PM
yes engine oil, mine did it when ever i was going fast then let off the gas it would beep for a few seconds , good luck let me know what you find out.

daytona22
06-27-2005, 07:06 PM
i told the dealer to change oil, filter, fuel water and drive fluid while it was in, so we will see - how did u determine that was the problem? did it show on a scan? did u have a scan tool to look at? did your alarm go solid?

Beer-30
06-27-2005, 07:20 PM
I would bet yours has the water pressure sensor on the sea pump. Mine was the year before that. An impellor on its way out will give a "90% reduction in power with a solid beep". Mine was a momentary, but consistant beep with a 10% reduction in power. It was an unplugged exhaust water temp sender. See if they can borrow a scan tool. My code told us where to look by giving an "exh water temp sensor" code. :messedup:

waterboy
06-27-2005, 07:26 PM
i have my boat serviced every year in febuary and dont think much of if after that (i know i know) but after this happening i most of the weekend i started checking thing pulled the dipstick no oil put in 2 qts still no oil it was 4,5 qt low out of 7. i thought new boat no worries but either they didnt fill it up our it burns oil when new have not had a problem since, it is a 454 mag.

waterboy
06-27-2005, 07:28 PM
no scan just alot of checking.

daytona22
06-27-2005, 07:30 PM
beer 30 -u r rite, mine has the sensor on the pump - i saw it when the dealer pulled it to replace the impeller. where r the exhaust sensors? if they r plugged in, then what? THANKS 4 all the help!!!!

C-2
06-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Go to offshoreonly.com and do a search. I'm sure you'll find your answer there (in the technical section).
Sounds like the computer is shutting the motor down, putting it into safe mode.
If it's the impeller, you need to check the housing. If the brass sides are scored in the least bit, it will create problems, even though the impeller fins look fine. If that;s the case, have it brazed and machined rather than spending $400 on a new housing.
Good luck over at OSO :)

Beer-30
06-27-2005, 07:35 PM
beer 30 -u r rite, mine has the sensor on the pump - i saw it when the dealer pulled it to replace the impeller. where r the exhaust sensors? if they r plugged in, then what? THANKS 4 all the help!!!!
The exh sensors are tiny. One on each manifold. Where the collector bolts on to the lower section, directly aft. If you put your hand on the two aft studs of the manifold/riser flange and slide it toward the back of the boat you will hit the wire for the sensor. Once again, if one is unplugged, it will run great up until you full throttle it for 5 to 10 seconds. Then it will fall on its face. There would be a double-beep once every minute from the time you turn the key on. Drive ya crazy. You would know if it was an unplugged sensor. Yours is something going away. Either you momentarily lost oil pressure or your water PSI is not up to standards anymore.

daytona22
06-27-2005, 07:42 PM
what would make it lose oil pressure "momentarily"? could it be that the oil just got too hot from hours anr outside temp., or what? i agree that it isn't an unplugged sensor

daytona22
06-27-2005, 07:46 PM
i've got to crash - it's kind of late in the east - i will check this first thing b4 i get going back 2 the dealer in the a.m. - i'll see all the rest of the posts then

KACHINA KEN
06-27-2005, 07:51 PM
i was in the water sat. and as i came up on plane, the alarm beeped, then went solid, then shut the motor down. it restarted and ran fine as long as i didn't go for the throttle. i repeated above senario 2 more times, then got disgusted and put it on the trailer. boat is at dealer, but he doesn't have the scan tool. it's a 2002 in a daytona22 w/110 hours and it gets treated to the best for service. i never showed temp above 180, and i never had less than 40 lbs. oil pres. even while the alarm was solid. the drive resivor was between add and full, and i disconected the wires from the drive res. and it still did the same thing. dealer is starting with the impeller, but w/the 4th comming up, i'm a little worried i won't have the boat back. any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. has this happened to anybody else? i bought this setup because it was supposed to be bullitproof and brainless - man am i depressed!!!!!
Sounds like a fluid level alarm to me also.

wedge44
06-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Maverick Marine in Van Nuys...talk to Eric...he's helped me on the water Via cell-phone :D :D he can walk you pretty much thru anything. if not he'll treat right and get it done fast....wedge

dexman38
06-27-2005, 09:12 PM
check the fuel pump my pump went bad with less then 20 hours on the motor.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
06-27-2005, 09:26 PM
there is nothing like a set of blue motors :idea:

desertbird
06-27-2005, 09:33 PM
I'd quit fishing and find a dealer with a scan tool, or a scan tool on eBay. Would anybody on the board like to trouble shoot a 2002 GM truck?
SAME ENGINE, maybe a few less sensors.
It could be something as stupid as a ground.

Throttle
06-27-2005, 09:43 PM
impeller.... check housing and change fluids...
add a double jack and coke... tastes sooo good when it hits your lips!

sterndriveinc
06-27-2005, 10:12 PM
The motor is shutting down when you go for the throttle becuase it is going into "guardianship protection". The motor is designed to shut-down and protect itself if it has problems. If you Mercury guy doesn't have a scan tool. then your manuel should tell you how to count the beeps. If all else fails. call me I would be glad to help.
Most likely sea water pump. but you still need to clear the fault codes in the ecm after replacemant. Really need scan tool to do it right.
Hope this help's
Lane Weir
Sterndrive Inc.com
(832) 577-7227
"The largest close out marine parts dealer on the net."

Beer-30
06-27-2005, 10:15 PM
There is a special manual that only dealerships get that has all of the codes. I think it is manual #26.
I am most certain it is your sea water sensor. :D

Outnumbered
06-27-2005, 10:28 PM
I'd quit fishing and find a dealer with a scan tool, or a scan tool on eBay. Would anybody on the board like to trouble shoot a 2002 GM truck?
SAME ENGINE, maybe a few less sensors.
It could be something as stupid as a ground.
Ditto on this. I'm sure you like your mechanic and he treats you right but he is out of touch if he does not have a scan tool. These new motors are all about computer control and, to do it right, you need a tool. Find a delaer that is up to date with the new Merc motors.

desertbird
06-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Does the boat have SmartCraft? That monitor can tell you a lot.......speaking of, I think my oil temp sensor is disconnected.....need to look into that!

Raylar
06-28-2005, 04:40 PM
If you have a 496 Mercury, you get a beeb and go into guardian mode, even if the boat comes out of guardian when you restart or the beep is intermittant the scan tool will save time, and frustration, as parts and labor are money! The $500 scan tool tells a dealer (every dealer or service entity that works on 496's must have this tool) or boat owner what the fault history was, if the fault is still active and pretty much exactly whats causing the problem. Don't waste time replacing or repairing things that are not in need of repair or replacement. Go to the scan tool and get the answer! :D
Ray @ Raylar

Beer-30
06-28-2005, 05:22 PM
If you have a 496 Mercury, you get a beeb and go into guardian mode, even if the boat comes out of guardian when you restart or the beep is intermittant the scan tool will save time, and frustration, as parts and labor are money! The $500 scan tool tells a dealer (every dealer or service entity that works on 496's must have this tool) or boat owner what the fault history was, if the fault is still active and pretty much exactly whats causing the problem. Don't waste time replacing or repairing things that are not in need of repair or replacement. Go to the scan tool and get the answer! :D
Ray @ Raylar
Amen.

Beer-30
06-28-2005, 05:39 PM
If they fixed it, you will have full throttle again, no beep. As soon as we plugged my sensor back in, the double-beep went away and it ran great. Instant fix. I hope they found it.

daytona22
06-29-2005, 11:09 AM
they haven't found it yet - raylar, how do i get a scan tool? r u shure it's only $500.00 - i'll buy it myself if that's the case - this is the second time i needed one. there aren't many service senters around here, and none that have the tool - i would KILL 2 get my hands on one. my cel is 330-328-8481 if u can talk, and i would make it worth your while if u can hook me up w/ the correct scan tool!!!!

daytona22
06-29-2005, 11:18 AM
i'll buy the scan tool if it's only $500.00, use it to fix my boat, and charge my dealer to rent it the next time he needs it - $50.00 gift certificate to OUTBACK to the member than can hook me up w/the tool!!!!!