PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever run at Liberty ,Texas

taylormanss
06-27-2005, 07:28 PM
I was riding around today,and ended up in Liberty,Tx. I stopped at a convenience store to get a drink and a guy noticed my Jetfest 2004 shirt,and asked me if I was into jetboats of coarse I said yes,and he told me about a man made drag strip for boats that had been in the area,but he didn't know what ever happened to it,supposedly it's still out there but I didn't find it.That would be a good place for me to test and tune my boat!!!!! Anybody ever race there?He mentioned something about Dan Pastorini racing and wrecking there.

gregr1971
06-27-2005, 07:55 PM
i remember the pastorini crash,boat name "bad to the bone" ,i know a fella that has pastorini's other boat "bad to the bone II", i am not far from liberty,but if you want to line 'em up(boats) ..........for fun of course, we can try the strip out, and get them rednecks pissed...! :idea:

blowngas
06-27-2005, 08:37 PM
they had quit running there before I got started, but heard they ran at one of the gravel pits there---some of the elder SDBA members should be able to tell us all about it

Duane HTP
06-27-2005, 09:08 PM
I won the Comp Jet Championship there in 1979, in a boat named Mellow Yellow.. Have never been back since. It was a pretty neat place to race.

vdrivenman
06-28-2005, 03:13 AM
i don't know the old mans name who owned the track,but i have been told he passed on. his two children now own it a son & daughter. it was suppossedly
up for sale at one time.
i am sure a search with the chamber of commerce would come up with something.
i have video of the several races there. looked like a pretty neat place.
on the tape is morris moore's jet, dr. john in showtime who held blown gas hydro record for a while, and another local guy running a sanger hydro.
boomtown of ih10 in vidor is a good little lake for test & tune.protected water,little or no traffic,but deep & a private lake so no TPW.

Cheyenne372
06-28-2005, 03:48 AM
The track was owned by a man named Mizell. It was built for his kids to waterski on. Got there on Friday night in about '79 or '80 and when the sun came up, there were Mr. Mizell's cows laying down all around the motorhome! Had alligators there also that were a hazard at times.
It was a fun place to go if you liked humidity and mosquitos!
Correct that Dan Pastorini crashed there, but the boat was called "Quarterback Sneak," as were all of his boats. Motor burped, boat made a right turn. The banks of the lake were built up so that in some places the spectators were almost at eye level to the lake. The boat came to the bank and hit a lady and her son that were very near the ambulance.
The boat was confiscated and remained in a warehouse in Houston for many years. He was also required by the football team to agree to never drive drag boats again!
I have pictures of Eddie Hill running there, Dr. John, Buzzy Boase, Cecil Florence, Freddy Bray and many more...but I'm not smart enough to get them posted on here!
Have one shot of a fineline hydro that went too far, went over the bank at the end, over a barbed wire fence and is sitting in the middle of the road at the end of the track.......Those were the days!

taylormanss
06-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Hey gregr1971 so you know where this track is at and will they let ya run your boat there?

Gearhead
11-16-2005, 08:59 PM
I just ran across this old post... Taylorman, if I remember anything near correct the track was on the North end of town on the East side of the road. The last time I remember running there were SDBA races in 1985 and 1986. I remember Jerry Wallace showing up with his first Smokin' and Strokin' race boat a red California Performance hull with a 557" Raymond Grice Engine.
In '86, I was standing by the finish line.... and the timing system went out as the finals took place in Unblown Gas Jet. This time it was a pair of Cheyenes, Jerry Wallace and Mike Straughan... It was a real close finish and the lady in the tower called down to the finish line spectators to ask who won... and the race was decided by a popularity vote!
It was a neat course, but as has been said... you had to shoo the cows away at times and the mosquitos were SO BIG.... How big were they?

EMCAM
11-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Taylorman... if you know anyone looking for a taylor sj i have one for sale.It is in great shape and i have run it all summer with 0 problems it needs new front seats the broke last week . I will take 3500.00 . if you know of any buyers have them pm me and ill send pics.

FLEA DIDDY
12-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Taylormanss I can take you to this place. I have been by it on several occasions. Sabrina grew up 5 min from it. The old man died and his kids shut it down, It's all grown up and has NO TRESPASS signs all around plus gators. I'll take you if you want to try your luck.