PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Heat

moneypit
06-27-2005, 09:33 PM
So I looked at the forcast and saw that its like as hot as the sun n'shit..
113-119 all week? What gives?

Kilrtoy
06-27-2005, 09:36 PM
I think it's called THE SUN

Wonderboy
06-27-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure, but it could have to do with it being summer and all. :D

Ultrafied
06-27-2005, 09:49 PM
I know what you mean! It is going to be a hot one this year! From what I understand, August and September will be really hot .... the high 120's. Has something to do with all the rain we had, yadda yadda yadda ..... July shouldn't be hitting in the 113's yet.

KACHINA KEN
06-27-2005, 09:55 PM
n'shit:)

SummitKarl
06-27-2005, 10:28 PM
I give, at least it waited till June this year last year it was 110 in may

moneypit
06-28-2005, 08:08 AM
I think it's called THE SUN
Ya no kidding sherlock.. It usually doesnt get this hot this early in the season...

RiverOtter
06-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Ya but it's a dry heat so it's not all that bad.... right.... :D

welk2party
06-28-2005, 08:52 AM
As long as I am on the water...bring it on! :devil:

Phat Matt
06-28-2005, 09:02 AM
This is what I moved into from Portland OR. It took a little bit to get use to. :sqeyes: My car even over heated on the way in. Thank god for duct tape and extra water. :D
6/29/94: The day Havasu redefined hot
By Gary Weiand
Monday, June 27, 2005 10:41 PM MDT
With this week's temperatures expected to soar near 120, newer residents may think Lake Havasu City is reaching its thermal limits. But this is nothing compared to Wednesday, June 29, 1994, a day to remember when heat drove one resident to use potholders to get into her car.
That's the day Lake Havasu City temperatures officially hit 128 degrees - the hottest day in recorded Arizona history. A stationary high-pressure ridge from El Paso throughout the Southwest was held responsible for a run of searing temperatures, including an all-time state record of 126.6 degrees set two days earlier.
The highest recorded temperature in U.S. history is 134 degrees set July 10, 1913, at Death Valley, Calif.
Lake Havasu City Herald reporters experimented rather unsuccessfully with frying eggs on the sidewalk, and much of the town gathered around air conditioners, at home or at businesses.
Mike Hoover, repairing air conditioners for Pitzer Air Conditioning , told reporters at the time he was working 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. and joked that it was the company's weight loss program.
Jo Black, a resident since 1984, recalled Tuesday that it took her time to realize just how hot it really was. Part of her daily routine was grocery shopping in the afternoon, when the stores weren't crowded. But when she went outdoors at 11:30 a.m., a big surprise awaited.
"When I went to get the mail the box was so hot I couldn't touch it. I tried to use potholders to open the car doors - but I had to wait for the sun to go down to get in," she said.
Stan Usinowicz, then editor of Today's Daily News, said that the heat became his top story, and when it hit 128 he ran the news in three-inch headlines at the top of the front page.
"I thought I was used to heat after eight years, but that was pretty mind-abrading," said Usinowicz, who is now the city's director of community development.
Les Galst, a Realtor here since 1968, said that he remembers with surprise that the torrid heat didn't seem to hurt anyone-there were no deaths.
"Nothing happened - we just broke all the records," he said. "Once it gets around 119, it's just hot," he said.

moneypit
06-28-2005, 09:41 AM
My family dragged me up to havasu when I was young. Not very many cars had A/C and most mobile homes had swamps...
I remember a 120 deg day when a dog was tied up to a tree. The dog went crazy and bit the hell out of a girl. Grandpa drove the girl across the lake to the Windsor and then to the hospital.
I guess I just dont remember the heavy heat being so early in the year. So we can blame Texas eh?

SummitKarl
06-28-2005, 12:20 PM
6/29/94: The day Havasu redefined hot
I was there also and was dumb enough to be camping at Crazy horse, we sat around fans with misters in front of them, there was no relief, it was that day I started saving up for my Havi home. I am fairly use to it now but 110 or better is just plan HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!, the bright side is we only have to pay this price for 2 months of the year, the rest of the year is AWSOME!!!!!!!!

bohica
06-28-2005, 12:27 PM
I remember that whole week. That's when they were having the bacteria problems at all the beaches. It was rumored that Havasu was gonna be closed, some beaches got closed but not the whole lake. People made shirts that said I survived 128 degress and a sewage spill. Went to Mohave instead and fried our arses off.