PDA

View Full Version : Advantage 28' Cat

NO4NBRI
03-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Has anyone heard anything good, bad or whatever about the Advantage 28Â’ cat? I just got back from the boat show. That place is a candy store to say the least. I am looking at buying a new 25Â’ to 28Â’ cat. I saw a lot of great looking boats. I looked at the 25Â’ and 26Â’ Eliminator DaytonaÂ’s as well as the Magic 28Â’ cat and the Ultra 28Â’ cat. They were all awesome. I felt that the Ultra was cool, but I thought they were a little proud of it and it reflected in the price. The Magic was also awesome, but I am a little skeptical about buying a fairly new cat (Ultra or Magic) that hasnÂ’t been out for very long. I really liked the Advantage and will probably go for a test ride with the Magic and Advantage.

roln 20s
03-10-2002, 12:59 AM
I personally have never riden in the Advantage 28 sport cat, but must say that it looks awesome, graphic/gel coat work on those boats are beautiful, and as for workmanship- you can't go wrong with Advantage. I saw the 28 Advantage cat that was in ***boat a year ago (with the 575 Merc) at the lake being tested with a customer- it was absolutely awesome. All of those boats mentioned are good- can't go wrong with any- tuff decision. Enjoy the test rides.
Just one more cat to think about (sure you saw it at the show) is the Howard 26. Awesome boat and quality- inside room is amazing and it performs.
Good luck-
Roln 20s

Craig
03-10-2002, 05:08 AM
The bottom is not the most efficient one out there when you compare apples to apples. It takes some power to make it really run, but it does have a lot of room underneath for a cat. Have you seen one with the closed cabin and the windshield? Personally, I like the look better. There's one on the rides page somewhere on this site. It was one of the little feature articles the site had.
Craig

B-rad502
03-10-2002, 06:52 AM
I don't know much about the Advantage price, but the Magic sure seems unbeatable on the pricing. We looked at one at the Phoenix boat show and it was sweet.

Kona Jet
03-10-2002, 02:08 PM
I just purchased a cougar 27 after going on the test ride I was imporessed with the handling. We went to castaic which was blown out but he still put the boat in the water and drove it at 80 MPH (gps speedo). There was little to NO flex in the boat. They are solid in costruction and weight in about 3900 or so lbs. I get to pick my boat up 2nd of April (fingers crossed). Anyhow that is my .02 so good luck with whatever you buy.
Kona
Guess I will have to change my name soon!

Duck
03-10-2002, 09:15 PM
To many choices now days. From the latest Hot Boat the Magic dash looks great for underdeck access but under structured for the weight that would be put on it getting in from the deck to the seats.
I have a 25 Daytona so I'm partial. Have even slept in the nose section, so what are all of your potential uses for the kitty.
Like looks of Howard, Lavey, American Offshore, Eliminators, and Cougar. Ultras 28 is nice but has very high sides, like a HTM SR24, so it's secure in big water. Like them too. Now you get to deside, features, layouts, eng/drive, and cost. Could be worse
choices, like buying a V. Go to the channel or sandbar and do some asking in person.
Oh yea, at least 600hp or you'll never be happy.
Duck

catnaround
03-11-2002, 06:18 AM
We had the same prob that you had. Looked at Advantage and Magic. Ended up getting the Magic. Great boat from workmanship, paint, and the people there are great. Price was right too. A little cheaper than the Advantage. It is also a little faster than Advantage when running the same power. The Advantage weighs more. Yet the advantage does have a nice interior and paint jobs.

NO4NBRI
03-11-2002, 09:18 AM
catnaround: Would you mind if I asked a ball park what you payed for your boat, ad also what options. You can e-mail me @ Brian.Dodo@verizon.net

catnaround
03-11-2002, 01:29 PM
No prob, I will email with all the info and some pics

Sandbar Mike
03-11-2002, 02:19 PM
NO4
You should check out commanders cats. I demod a 26 and 28 cat the end of last season at the Commander BarBQ at Elsinor. The 26 ran awsome, and I think the sticker was at 64K. You really can't beat the price.
Just looken out
Mike

NO4NBRI
03-11-2002, 03:30 PM
Mike:
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually stopped by the Commander dealer, I though they were pretty cool before I saw them up close. I am not saying it's not a good boat I am sure it is, but the one I saw on the floor was worked. It may have been the demo boat, but it was hammered. Since then it was kind of discouraging. Also, they seemed to nickel dime you on everything, were on the competions boat it was a standard feature.
Thanks for the info, I greatly appreciate it.
Brian

HBjet
03-11-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Duck:
Ultras 28 is nice but has very high sides, like a HTM SR24, so it's secure in big water.
First off, it's a 27' cat, there 28' is a Stealth, and a deep V. When I first say the 27 Shadow Cat, I too thought the sides were Way to high. When I got to drive one, and see one in the water from another boat, it looked bitchin in the water. I don't know what you mean about not being secure in the water with the higher sides. If anything, when the chop gets bigger, the taller boat will survive better (I would think) What a lot of people liked in the HTM's is the space under the bow, the 27' Shadow has a lot of space too, and still holds sleek lines. For open bows, I would never get one for myself, but the Ultra open bow is pretty cool, roomy. I don't work for Ultra, nor own one, but this is my opinion, and it is a really nice boat. The one at the show is the one I got to drive, it has a 500HP and stand off box. It sure did move pretty good with 7 people in the boat.
HBjet

HBjet
03-11-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by NO4NBRI:
I actually stopped by the Commander dealer, I though they were pretty cool before I saw them up close.
When I went to Commander to see there cats, I was very displeased. Just look down the side, more waves then a bad day at Havasu.
HBjet

NO4NBRI
03-11-2002, 09:19 PM
HBJET:
I agree, The boat I saw was in piss poor condition to say the least. The thing that blew me away was the one they had for display was the only boat of it's kind in stock. When we got there the trailer was all rusty, the thing looked like it had just gotten back from having naked girls dancing on it at the sand bar. There was a few rips in the interior, so someone decided to do a bitchen duct tape job. There was empty beer cans as well as water in the ski locker, there was wiring that was hanging all over. I could go on and on, again I am not talking smack about the boat, I am sure it is a good boat, but you would think that your demo boat would be in killer shape. After seeing that, I realized that I didn't want a boat built like that.'
Brian

pleasantcat
03-12-2002, 06:19 AM
info on the magic cat. i drove the hotrod cat(blue with subtl flames) last year. the boat was powered at the time with the 502/502 efi. i enjoyed the ride, power was good ,turing was impressive and the interior was very spacious. i did start a purchase deal on that boat but was un able to get rid of my old boat. i ended up doing great though, i have a 25'daytona and ya know... i dont think i'll ever own another vee boat in my life http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif my daytona doesn't have the undercabin but the cocpit is very close. either magic or eliminator i would give both a drive and go from there. i feel you'll be happy http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

bigq
03-12-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by NO4NBRI:
HBJET:
I agree, The boat I saw was in piss poor condition to say the least. The thing that blew me away was the one they had for display was the only boat of it's kind in stock. When we got there the trailer was all rusty, the thing looked like it had just gotten back from having naked girls dancing on it at the sand bar. There was a few rips in the interior, so someone decided to do a bitchen duct tape job. There was empty beer cans as well as water in the ski locker, there was wiring that was hanging all over. I could go on and on, again I am not talking smack about the boat, I am sure it is a good boat, but you would think that your demo boat would be in killer shape. After seeing that, I realized that I didn't want a boat built like that.'
Brian
I bought a Commander 24 Sig when they just came out with the new step bottom. I think the beer cans are standard. When I got my home from the factory I was looking it over with joy and wouldn't you know it, behind the seat in the mid cabin were 2 empty beer cans. It would not of been so bad if they were bullets.That was only the beginning. I need to say that Sy ( the owner ) works very hard to make sure everything is fixed and he wants you to be happy, but I think he needs more control over his production.

roln 20s
03-12-2002, 12:48 PM
NO4NBRI-
I just uploaded a picture of a 28 advantage cat under readers rides-stern drives! I saw this boat at the factory as it was waiting to be rigged, not sure what engine was going in it-but the boat and graphics are awesome. Pictures are worth a thousand words!
Good luck!
Roln 20s

RiverDave
03-12-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by HBjet:
When I first say the 27 Shadow Cat, I too thought the sides were Way to high. When I got to drive one, and see one in the water from another boat, it looked bitchin in the water. I don't know what you mean about not being secure in the water with the higher sides. If anything, when the chop gets bigger, the taller boat will survive better (I would think)
HBjet
Uhhh.. I think your in complete agreement with Duck aren't ya? HB"Quick Draw McGraw"Jet
Ultras 28 is nice but has very high sides, like a HTM SR24, so it's secure in big water.
River"Actually reads the posts before firing"Dave http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif LMAO

Sandbar Mike
03-12-2002, 03:10 PM
NO4,BIGQ,HBCAT
You have me cracking up on the Commander comments.It's definitley no offense to me, I believe that they are probably not marketing there rides very well.
On another note, I've been listening in on this Force/Carrera Bullshit and hell, I think if I can pick up 29' Force cat for 77K and run over 80, I'd be happy.
I'm gonna check out Force, I need to trade up my Cheetah after this season.
Mike

bigq
03-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Sandbar Mike:
NO4,BIGQ,HBCAT
You have me cracking up on the Commander comments.It's definitley no offense to me, I believe that they are probably not marketing there rides very well.
On another note, I've been listening in on this Force/Carrera Bullshit and hell, I think if I can pick up 29' Force cat for 77K and run over 80, I'd be happy.
I'm gonna check out Force, I need to trade up my Cheetah after this season.
Mike
Mike,
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on Commander, they have there place and Sy is a great guy if you have a problem. Obviously at the price of the boats your not going to get the attention to detail that you might from DCB. The boats are well built, I had two of them,I guess I'm to anal and consider pride in workmanship of some value.Unfortunately, Sy's workers think otherwise. Would I buy another? That I must ponder.
Wayne

Sandbar Mike
03-18-2002, 05:07 PM
Bigq,
I can't agree with you more