PDA

View Full Version : Disaster avoided, disconnect your batteries and check your fire extingushers

CrdStang
06-28-2005, 01:34 AM
I was just watching TV in my living room when I heard a familiar noise
RRrrRRrrRRrrRRrrRR...
..I thought it was a neighbor trying to start a car for about half a second, then I realized it was too close, too loud, and sounded exactly like my Olds cranking over. Ran downstairs and to find flames leaping out of my starboard engine compartment vent. I dove for the battery switch and cut the power, then ran for the fire extingusher in the trunk of my car (guess I forgot about the one in the boat). That extingusher was about a year old, and it seemed like practically nothing came out when I pulled the trigger. I threw the worthless thing down and went for the garden hose. Of course my car was parked on the hose. By the time I moved the car and turned the hose on, the flames were dying down on their own. I hosed it all down and then went to get a flashlight.
Damage was minimal compared to what it could've been. My HI-6 Marine ignition box is toast, a few connectors, and the week of evenings I spent on the wiring. I got off easy. I can't say what caused the fire right now, I'll take a better look tomorrow. It's still sinking in. I'm just glad I still have a boat, and a house for that matter.
My boat would probably be trash if this fire had started an hour earlier when I wasn't home. Had the starter solenoid wire not found 12v+ in that molten mess, I would've been sitting upstairs unknowningly as my boat burned.
So like it says in the topic, disconnect your batteries and check your fire extingushers.
Now I just have to bust ass to get it running again for the 4th...
:frown:

HammerDown
06-28-2005, 04:35 AM
That could have got ugly fast! Good thing you were infact home, glad to hear ya caught it in time. :cool:
Question...how has the Crane Hi-6 box treated you before the fire, how long did you have it...?

CrdStang
06-28-2005, 10:34 AM
That could have got ugly fast! Good thing you were infact home, glad to hear ya caught it in time. :cool:
Question...how has the Crane Hi-6 box treated you before the fire, how long did you have it...?
I got the HI-6 on ebay, used, 5-6 months ago. It performed flawlessly during engine break-in and the three times I've taken the boat out.
I've also had a HI-6 in my street car for four years now, it's never skipped a beat, which is why I got another one for my boat.

malcolm
06-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Sorry to hear about this. I'm sure many of our old boat's wiring harnesses are powder kegs waiting to go poof! Hope you get her going for the 4th!